PES 2016 News & Discussion Thread

Every 3 years they do something new.

PES 2008, 09 and 10 were really similar.
PES 2011, 12 and 13 were really similar.
PES 2014, 15 and 16 were really similar.

So going by that, PES 2017 is the one that will be the first real next-gen as it breaks away from last-gen's PES 2014's formula.

Hmmm I wouldn't say that TBH. I think they're quite happy about how 2016 turned out at Konami and so they will probably aim at improving on it. Adam himself said that they're still figuring the whole FOX ENGINE out and that's what allowed them to implement certain new things for this year's version (such as Dynamic Weather).

If I had to take a wild guess, I'm sure they will add many more new animations, improve the foot planting and transitions, and then take graphics a step further. Player models with tattoo's and even specific body shapes. Neymar is a given. Dynamic Wather will probably play a bigger role, much more noticeable.

This comes just from watching how they've been moving since PES 2014. If you stop and take a look at what they've actually done to the game for the last 3 years, everything I'm saying makes sense. Of course there's room for surprises as well.

Good posts.

To summarise PES 2011 & PES 2014 took more than just a 1 year cycle to develop, I can see the planning in both years would of started a least a year or so before, especially 2014 which was literally a brand new game from scratch

The focus for 2014 was everything PES 2013 was incapable of doing with animations and physics.

The core movement in PES 2014 was so very basic it meant PES 2015 & 2016 the focus was on using that core and making a playable solid football game from it and improving the animations as much as possible on that set core.

In theory PES 2017 will be the game which properly starts to use the PS4 power since PES 2014-2015-2016 are all PS3 specification games because the core was created for the PS3!

PS4 & PC PES 2016 are literally exactly the same in gameplay, just the PS4 is faster, infact the PS4 version is too fast and the gameplay on PC is better. They haven't used the new PS4 power properly at all, its only on the PS4 for marketing reasons and that sony partnership deal.

PES 2017 in theory should have a new enhanced core, this core should focus on building on the movement and responsivness system back to PES 2013 levels on the fox engine, this was too ambitious when they tried this in 2014, they now have more than enough animations to make this happen.

I also expect FULL 3D kits since as we saw in last years development video with Neymar, Konami did a full body scan of Neymars entire body. This is eaily done using Marvellous Designer with Konami have been using on Metal Gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tejt4JRzI2U

Konami are downsizing every year so I don't really expect anything but superficial changes to be honest

Last edited:
when people start showcasing pes 17 demo and i still see defenders not showing aggression or running away from ball carrier, then im convinced thats the direction konami will be heading with this current development team and will see no changes in that area till a new team take over.

I have to agree Jimi the last few matches I've had have been embarrassing on top player . .don't get me wrong I'm still getting something from the game but I've been strolling through some defences as if they're not there . .surely they'll tighten things up for 2017, they can't leave it like this it would be a disaster.

Played online the last 2 days for that Milan derby comp.

Holy shit!

What have they done or what has become of me. I can't buy a goal with the likes of Suarez, Messi, Benzema, Douglas Costa, Neymar Cavani, Inzaghi you name it I have it. I have just about a 90+ rated in every position as well as 99 team spirit.

I have played poorer and equal and getting comprehensively hammered. Its not like I am chasing shadows either. I have better shots at goal most times as well as more of the ball.

I do however try the play actual football not just sliding and pressing throughball ASAP.

The opposition keeper regardless of who he is becomes superman and my very capable keeper looks like my ML 71 rated kid.

Does Konami not want us anymore?

when people start showcasing pes 17 demo and i still see defenders not showing aggression or running away from ball carrier, then im convinced thats the direction konami will be heading with this current development team and will see no changes in that area till a new team take over.

Spot on. This will be one of the main issues that I hope is fixed.

This.

Last night, I tried to stop caring about sim football, or weather the game is unrealistic, too arcadey, referee, low shots etc, and just sat down and played the game like a little kid.

I always play this game on full manuals, but last night I started a new ML with Arsenal superstar 15 minutes, level 1 pass support, advance shooting. I must say it was really fun, played 4 games (probably the most enjoyable 4 games I had on PES 2016).

Another interesting thing is that three of my first games (the community shield, and 2 home games) were played in daylight. Always played night games in EPL before this.

I've done the same thing several time and got the same sensations. When you play PES 2016 the way Konami wants you to play it, then it becomes a fun game.

i'm actually having an enjoying spell playing offline master league, i think it's my 4th attempt at starting one. I started off in the premiership rather than the championship to avoid all the nonsense tactics and teams in that division.

At first i was getting battered but then i realised I really had to concentrate on what I was doing defensively to close the gaps and watch the runners. i rarely use square to pressure the AI anymore because all it does is makes you lose your defensive shape for the pinpoint AI the exploit. I've actually dropped the difficulty down to professional because I really can't see any difference in the top 3 difficulties except for the fact that there is now a slight chance the AI might skew a pass or overhit a through ball which makes them slightly less clincical. don't get me wrong they can still just score if they really want to with the brilliant teams (I lost 1-0 to Chelsea yesterday where Diego Costa took out my whole defence by spinning 180 on a sixpence and finishing in the corner) but now I am really concentrating on the game I can see where my mistakes are causing the goals and realising what I can do the prevent them on the pitch and tactically. What I have learned is I don't think it's possible to play this game without a dedicated DM :D

Anyway after months of disappointment I am finally getting some enjoyment out of the game since i first tried my international league mode. It's strange how the game can give you such a range of emotions so i'm going to get as much enjoyment out of it as i can while i'm still liking the game!

i'm actually having an enjoying spell playing offline master league, i think it's my 4th attempt at starting one. I started off in the premiership rather than the championship to avoid all the nonsense tactics and teams in that division.

At first i was getting battered but then i realised I really had to concentrate on what I was doing defensively to close the gaps and watch the runners. i rarely use square to pressure the AI anymore because all it does is makes you lose your defensive shape for the pinpoint AI the exploit. I've actually dropped the difficulty down to professional because I really can't see any difference in the top 3 difficulties except for the fact that there is now a slight chance the AI might skew a pass or overhit a through ball which makes them slightly less clincical. don't get me wrong they can still just score if they really want to with the brilliant teams (I lost 1-0 to Chelsea yesterday where Diego Costa took out my whole defence by spinning 180 on a sixpence and finishing in the corner) but now I am really concentrating on the game I can see where my mistakes are causing the goals and realising what I can do the prevent them on the pitch and tactically. What I have learned is I don't think it's possible to play this game without a dedicated DM :D

Anyway after months of disappointment I am finally getting some enjoyment out of the game since i first tried my international league mode. It's strange how the game can give you such a range of emotions so i'm going to get as much enjoyment out of it as i can while i'm still liking the game!

Same here buddy, still enjoying Master League you learn as you go along.

Same here buddy, still enjoying Master League you learn as you go along.

I've accepted some of the games failings and quirks to be able to enjoy it, that's a bit of a shame but I'm still happy. My only annoyance at the moment though is that I wish it wasn't so easy to rob the AI off the ball in defence, even on superstar their brains and reactions are incredibly slow. Even though I play a pressing game I will never press the AI from a goal kick or a throw in in their own half because I know i'm nearly guaranteed to grab the ball and have a clear run on goal. Saying that yesterday I forced a defender to run backwards with the ball and instead of having a brain fart he did the right, albeit panicky thin of kicking the ball out for a throw in because he had nowhere else to go, that brought a smile on my face!

I've been playing a bit more of PES 2016 too (purely out of laziness - I've been loving PES 2013 on the laptop but got fed up connecting it and disconnecting it to the TV over and over again)...

I was actually quite enjoying it for what it is - high-pace, arcade football - but then I realised that for all the talk of "quicker responses", it actually suffers from almost as many periods of complete ignorance of your button-press as PES 2014 did - it's just that the speed of the game hides it well.

Several times, as Liverpool against West Brom (who seem to be a bogey team), I'd press the pass button in midfield and the player would "catch up" to the ball two or even three times, with ample opportunity to kick the ball, but simply ignored me and ran into the opposition instead (yet at other times, during the same game, the response would be instant).

It seems to happen more against teams with a lower rating than yours - as if being given a helping hand.

So I went from beating Villareal in the Europa League 4-0, to being thumped 4-1 by West Brom (which isn't out of the question in terms of realism, especially when we're talking about Liverpool, but it's the manner of the defeat that annoys me - where your players feel drunk, and like there's no point in even trying).

EDIT: Did anyone see Adam on the BBC's programme about football games, "The Beautiful Gamers"? If not, you can watch it here if you live in the UK: BBC iPlayer - The Beautiful Gamers

His comment about PES aiming to be realistic (after releasing the least realistic PES in years) and "FIFA players don't need practice to be the best at the game, whereas PES players, it's much more serious and you need much more practice" (or words to that effect) made me laugh. They all play with assists on, Adam, and the assists in your game are by far more laser-guided, and make it a lot easier to win, no tactics involved.

He talks the talk but sometimes (and I'm not just talking about on this programme), it's like he's talking about a different game, with a different philosophy.

Last edited:
Did anyone see Adam on the BBC's programme about football games, "The Beautiful Gamers"? If not, you can watch it here if you live in the UK: BBC iPlayer - The Beautiful Gamers

His comment about PES aiming to be realistic (after releasing the least realistic PES in years) and "FIFA players don't need practice to be the best at the game, whereas PES players, it's much more serious and you need much more practice" (or words to that effect) made me laugh. They all play with assists on, Adam, and the assists in your game are by far more laser-guided, and make it a lot easier to win, no tactics involved.

He talks the talk but sometimes (and I'm not just talking about on this programme), it's like he's talking about a different game, with a different philosophy.

I sometimes understand that it is his job to promote the game, but these types of talk makes me dislike this guy.

I do like PES 2016 cause it's a very fun game to play, but claiming PES aiming to be realistic? I think this year it's very arcadey and unrealistic compared to the two previous versions with the same engine.

Who needs practice if level 1 pass assistance is magnetic? this is the worse for PES in many years, the only way to make the game more sim is by playing full manual, which many people do not like.

If I want to play a realistic/sim football game, I'd go for FIFA this year, If I want a fun fast-paced football game then PES is the way to go IMO.

I've been playing a bit more of PES 2016 too (purely out of laziness - I've been loving PES 2013 on the laptop but got fed up connecting it and disconnecting it to the TV over and over again)...

I was actually quite enjoying it for what it is - high-pace, arcade football - but then I realised that for all the talk of "quicker responses", it actually suffers from almost as many periods of complete ignorance of your button-press as PES 2014 did - it's just that the speed of the game hides it well.

Several times, as Liverpool against West Brom (who seem to be a bogey team), I'd press the pass button in midfield and the player would "catch up" to the ball two or even three times, with ample opportunity to kick the ball, but simply ignored me and ran into the opposition instead (yet at other times, during the same game, the response would be instant).

It seems to happen more against teams with a lower rating than yours - as if being given a helping hand.

So I went from beating Villareal in the Europa League 4-0, to being thumped 4-1 by West Brom (which isn't out of the question in terms of realism, especially when we're talking about Liverpool, but it's the manner of the defeat that annoys me - where your players feel drunk, and like there's no point in even trying).

EDIT: Did anyone see Adam on the BBC's programme about football games, "The Beautiful Gamers"? If not, you can watch it here if you live in the UK: BBC iPlayer - The Beautiful Gamers

PR talk gon be PR talk.

The game in my sig is even more realistic than PES.

Its a poor update to be honest. Its improved in some areas but the same flaws remain at large and h cheating and 'no fouls' issue just seem to get worse and worse.

hey, welcome to the forums Bryan. love your podcasts. wich shitty game do you play this year? :D

Thanks man! I am playing neither haha...PS2 PES for me for my footy fix.

Wrote this on WENB Forums wanted to share with you guys:

Frankly, I'm not very optimistic about the future of the series as we know it.

You can almost see the writing on the wall from Konami as they are phasing out console gaming. It's like Konami is trying to milk every last drop before they shut it down.

I expect EA to hit Konami hard with more exclusive licenses and I don't have faith Konami will re-invest in other licenses they can acquire. Unless Konami can figure out a universal option file system, and even if they do, they are in trouble because It's a different day in gaming, its all about authenticity. Gamers today don't want to have to jump through complicated time consuming hoops to edit teams. 10-20 years ago a niche of gamers would play games regardless of authenticity if gameplay was great. That isn't today's gamer. A game could be great but no one will buy or play it if it's not authentic.

I look at All Pro 2K Football. 2K made an American football game after EA got the exclusive NFL license and it was a really damn good game but they never made another one because fans left for authenticity that Madden provided so it no longer made sense to produce a football game.

Did anyone even raise their hand in that BBC show when the hosts asked who plays PES? Haven't seen it but heard from people it was embarrassing towards PES. I'm really interested in seeing factual sales figures because I'm hearing mixed numbers from reliable sources (Not Asim or Adam btw) though I expect micro transactions to be high.

Which brings me to my final thought. I see PES in the next few years going to a subscription based model. No hard disc copy. Online MyClub based game downloaded to the console. Only license Konami needs to worry about is the FifaPro for real player names and then an edit mode to create kits for your own MyClub team.

Why does this make sense? Think of the amount of cost-cutting that would be involved not having to chase licenses or mass produce a console game. Micro-transactions could still be high. From a business standpoint this makes perfect economic sense to milk online gamers and save production money. Then the question is how long do those gamers stick around before going to a more complete package in FIFA? And at what point does it no longer make economic sense to create the game even as an online subscription or free to play? We are assuming gameplay isn't shit either.

5-10 years from I don't see a PES. I hope I am wrong. But the writing is on the wall for me.

...first game of new patch, I got fouled 5x via CPU in top player setting. I was Man u v Stoke...not sure if they have rival settings.3/5 fouls were yellows...interesting...

Seeing absolutely no difference other than the changes in the patch notes (still amazes me that they don't get a translation done by someone who actually speaks English, as opposed to seemingly using Google Translate and coming up with phrases like "can not be taken as a score"):

• While [Through Ball Type] is set to [Advanced], the pass distance sometimes become shorter
  • If the value of [Injury Resistance] is higher, it had been easier to attain injury
  • When the Camera Type is set to [Player] and the view isn't facing the opposition goal, you cannot make feint controls
  • Inappropriate name of managers would be displayed, when you extend the contract renewal of managers with a specific command
  • When a player who is called up from your own team for the national team, he accumulates fatigue with no matter of match entries in the period of Quarter-finals and Semi-finals of the International Cup

The following fixes have been made:

• Sometimes [Goal Kick] is poor, even though it was made with a full power gauge
  • Sometimes [Throw In] can not be made in the match
  • Sometimes successful goals can not be taken as a score and it is resumed from a goal kick

Last edited:
Seeing absolutely no difference other than the changes in the patch notes (still amazes me that they don't get a translation done by someone who actually speaks English, as opposed to seemingly using Google Translate and coming up with phrases like "can not be taken as a score"):

Did you not find it slightly slower and the ai defends better as a unit? Although the gaps are still there to run through? They usually do a slight tweak with these patches. I also noticed when they perform a heavy taclkle that my players take a huge tumble. . . it looks like someone drunk falling out of bed.

...2nd game Milan vs chievo, and cpu got 2 yellows = red. First time that's happened to me. 3rd game = no fouls at all hahah.. weird shit... all I know is ive had more fouls against me in 3 games of new patch than I have in 50+ games prior patch :) Anyone else notice increased fouls???

Did you not find it slightly slower and the ai defends better as a unit? Although the gaps are still there to run through? They usually do a slight tweak with these patches. I also noticed when they perform a heavy taclkle that my players take a huge tumble. . . it looks like someone drunk falling out of bed.
The trouble is, I've had that "drunk stumble" when I've been tackled quite a lot in the last week or so (I've been blasting through a season as Liverpool - some good games, some horribly unresponsive ones). It's not new to me.

With fouls/cards, I was seeing an average of two fouls a game - which is pathetic - but they'd nearly always result in a card, so again, there's nothing new for me post-patch.

Other than the stuff on that list, that is (I stopped using "advanced though balls", which I used to love, because the marker would rarely go past the range of a standard pass and was therefore useless - that, along with the "you can't do dribble tricks when you use this camera because we forgot to adjust the controls for when it switches sides", is a pretty stupid mistake).

The trouble is, I've had that "drunk stumble" when I've been tackled quite a lot in the last week or so (I've been blasting through a season as Liverpool - some good games, some horribly unresponsive ones). It's not new to me.

With fouls/cards, I was seeing an average of two fouls a game - which is pathetic - but they'd nearly always result in a card, so again, there's nothing new for me post-patch.

Other than the stuff on that list, that is (I stopped using "advanced though balls", which I used to love, because the marker would rarely go past the range of a standard pass and was therefore useless - that, along with the "you can't do dribble tricks when you use this camera because we forgot to adjust the controls for when it switches sides", is a pretty stupid mistake).

Ok Chris but the tumble is akin to a somersault . .happening a lot since the "patch"

Ok Chris but the tumble is akin to a somersault . .happening a lot since the "patch"
Okay - somersaults would definitely be new! What I see is more of a "can't get my balance" type animation (which is one of those you're locked into for a second or two and prevents you from being able to keep possession).

Realistic my arse.
Lost my shit today online. I am done with myclub. Done.

Was need a few more years to understand why konami just don´t even care about the game and concentrated on the money and screw others with myclub for free.
Learn how to do it.
DLC pay-per-download implemented is the same thing. :)
They will continue with that, because next year all the fans are going to think and wait.

I already play this game with my neibourgh and compare the gameplay from the consoles to PC, they are both the same.
If we add some gameplay fix on PC it's a nother story.
Bugs can continue to occur ingame, but fixing the movements of the players still wasn´t change at all by konami. They should be fixed long time. Lazy Konami.
Just make players throw the wall by using the ball on penalties. And touch together in the middle of the field.

I didn´t play FIFA yet because i pay for this piece of crap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom