PES 2016 News & Discussion Thread

.. looking back at pes 2014, for me it still is the best looking football game graphically to date (im talking specifically about player physics and movement animations - looking like a real game from a distance). Unfortunately those realistic looking animations etc seemed to have used too many frames and took its toll on reaction time. And for better reaction times they obviously had to take away some of the animations or add shorter less smooth animations like in pes 2015/16.
Shirt/short physics shouldn't be an issue though..

Although im really enjoying pes2016 and think its the best new gen pes to date, I do think they need to aim to get back to 2014 animation wise.. pes 2016 has some really off-putting animations (hunched running, no backlifted passing etc) which just makes it not look as realistic as pes2014. Don't know if that makes sense to you all, but just go and look at some pes2014 as posted by klashman, and you'll see how realistic pes2014 actually looks from a distance. Just a pity it was so damn unresponsive and didn't play realistic...

Fifa is an interesting case (played a lot of the 14 and 15 demo on ps4 lately just to compare - for some reason I prefer speed and smoothness of 14). It has so much more animation wise than pes.. however it seems response time is so good because each animation sequence is so damn quick. For me, its this, and the player physics (I cant believe how bad the players actually look in gameplay - each player is so ridiculously lanky) that make it look unrealistic watching it on the screen. Playing it is fun I must admit.. mainly cause it so responsive. Adding to this is the fact that there is just so much more animation wise and what you can actually do in Fifa.. so many more moves etc than pes. And the presentation is amazing. Love when you score a goal, you get a sudden ever-so-minute-shake of the screen as if the crowd's craziness is shaking the stand that the broadcast camera is fixed to. Point being, konami really need to have a look at fifa (as if they don't do this already) and up the number of animations as well as increase number of controller moves - in order to keep adding to the realism of football.

Anyways, going back to pes2016, it has the best gameplay to date and a lot of it has to do with its simplicity - its so easy to play the way you want to play, giving you much of the control you had in the ps2 era(but with full manual dribbling,passing and shooting). Been a dream for a long time - ultimate control with full manual. Now that we finally have it (mind you I was pretty happy with pes2015 in this regard), I just hope konami don't forget the great animations they had in pes2014 as a reference perhaps. We all want a game that not only plays well, but also looks amazingly realistic as well with its animations.

Last edited:
.. looking back at pes 2014, for me it still is the best looking football game graphically to date (im talking specifically about player physics and movement animations - looking like a real game from a distance). Unfortunately those realistic looking animations etc seemed to have used too many frames and took its toll on reaction time. And for better reaction times they obviously had to take away some of the animations or add shorter less smooth animations like in pes 2015/16.
Shirt/short physics shouldn't be an issue though..

Although im really enjoying pes2016 and think its the best new gen pes to date, I do think they need to aim to get back to 2014 animation wise.. pes 2016 has some really off-putting animations (hunched running, no backlifted passing etc) which just makes it not look as realistic as pes2014. Don't know if that makes sense to you all, but just go and look at some pes2014 as posted by klashman, and you'll see how realistic pes2014 actually looks from a distance. Just a pity it was so damn unresponsive and didn't play realistic...

Fifa is an interesting case (played a lot of the 14 and 15 demo on ps4 lately just to compare - for some reason I prefer speed and smoothness of 14). It has so much more animation wise than pes.. however it seems response time is so good because each animation sequence is so damn quick. For me, its this, and the player physics (I cant believe how bad the players actually look in gameplay - each player is so ridiculously lanky) that make it look unrealistic watching it on the screen. Playing it is fun I must admit.. mainly cause it so responsive. Adding to this is the fact that there is just so much more animation wise and what you can actually do in Fifa.. so many more moves etc than pes. And the presentation is amazing. Love when you score a goal, you get a sudden ever-so-minute-shake of the screen as if the crowd's craziness is shaking the stand that the broadcast camera is fixed to. Point being, konami really need to have a look at fifa (as if they don't do this already) and up the number of animations as well as increase number of controller moves - in order to keep adding to the realism of football.

Anyways, going back to pes2016, it has the best gameplay to date and a lot of it has to do with its simplicity - its so easy to play the way you want to play, giving you much of the control you had in the ps2 era(but with full manual dribbling,passing and shooting). Been a dream for a long time - ultimate control with full manual. Now that we finally have it (mind you I was pretty happy with pes2015 in this regard), I just hope konami don't forget the great animations they had in pes2014 as a reference perhaps. We all want a game that not only plays well, but also looks amazingly realistic as well with its animations.

I still love pes2014, still playing it right up until the new demo. . . as you said still looks the business but it did play well after patches. I think a lot of people didn't give it a chance and stopped playing it too soon.

I've moved on now and looking forward to the new game but there will always be a soft spot on my Playstation for pes2014.

i have preordered and cannot wait to get my hands on it, just love it.
i plan to play a sudamericana cup first using Huracán and then libertadores with Tigres.
of course after completing the training, as i always do

i hope editors get a quick patch early :$

what are you playing first in pes 2016?

I still love pes2014, still playing it right up until the new demo. . . as you said still looks the business but it did play well after patches. I think a lot of people didn't give it a chance and stopped playing it too soon.

I've moved on now and looking forward to the new game but there will always be a soft spot on my Playstation for pes2014.

It had its moments :BYE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIf5gTU3KQQ

Half those goals were a result of terrible defensive programming. PES 14 was a terrible display of defensive awareness, for those that want that to be PES 16 have got some pretty low standards of realism.

Im not talking about AI or defence response, as I agree both weren't great in pes2014. Response was a huge issue, although the patches did fix some of this - but not nearly to the standard of pes16. Im talking about the fact that animation wise, pes2014 looked far more realistic watching it on tv/youtube/whatever, than pes15 or 16. It had a real smoothness in the sequencing of animations. I think the demos of pes2014 were even better looking - but the reaction times were horrendous...

Just wondering what patches you are talking about?? The official ones on ps3? or are you talking about the pc version which had many fan made patches??

Last edited:
Just wondering what patches you are talking about?? The official ones on ps3? or are you talking about the pc version which had many fan made patches??

I was talking about the official konami patches in particular the second last one. . .it played quite well after that. The last patch ruined it where it was littered with those ridiculous momentum fouls of sliding into a player after a shot or pass was made 3 secs beforehand and was called back as a foul.

Btw have you played the demo using the live broadcast camera? I think it's quite good. . reminds me of Arsenal's old stadium Highbury when it was televised, has an English Premiership feel to it.

PES 2014 was pretty good before the last patch - the one before the World Challenge DLC - made shooting stupidly OP and fouls were comically overdone.

Last edited:
PES 2014 was pretty good before the last patch - the one before the World Challenge DLC - made shooting stupidly OP and fouls were comically overdone.

That's more or less what I've just said and yeah the shooting was too strong. . .they went from beach balls to cannonballs.

Guys do we have any experienced players that have a guide for all the manual controls for peeps like me who have never played manual before?

Hmmm... something smells a little fishy...
Just two weeks ahead before release and Konami haven't given any real information about many things. Licenses. Option File Sharing. Kits importing (slots?). Master League and MyClub changes.

They are intentionally letting people make their own assumptions and pre-order the game on consoles (where there is no refund) before putting the disappointing news out there.

I can feel a big let down coming up regarding some of these points. Specially regarding the Option Files.

Hmmm... something smells a little fishy...
Just two weeks ahead before release and Konami haven't given any real information about many things. Licenses. Option File Sharing. Kits importing (slots?). Master League and MyClub changes.

They are intentionally letting people make their own assumptions and pre-order the game on consoles (where there is no refund) before putting the disappointing news out there.

I can feel a big let down coming up regarding some of these points. Specially regarding the Option Files.

You might got a point. I hope option files are back. EA don't but FU## EA.

Hah!

Now I don't even know which version to get. Are option files still locked to specific regions? I somehow vaguely remember they got rid of that. Not too sure though. I don't want to end up with a version that can't make use of any OF.

Im not talking about AI or defence response, as I agree both weren't great in pes2014. Response was a huge issue, although the patches did fix some of this - but not nearly to the standard of pes16. Im talking about the fact that animation wise, pes2014 looked far more realistic watching it on tv/youtube/whatever, than pes15 or 16. It had a real smoothness in the sequencing of animations. I think the demos of pes2014 were even better looking - but the reaction times were horrendous...

I've played PES 2014 a lot and I was thrilled about the animations because from PES 2013 they were a huge step forward.
I just don't see why they should be so much better than on 2015 and 2016.

Specially on 2016 there are so many fluid and realistic ones (did a cross with Alaba the other day and the way he used his leg, body position and all looked so life like), but the game speed has to be on -1 for the demo.

I agree that visually 2014 looked a lot better than 2015. On PC at least.

But animations, I think PES 2016 has quite a good balance between animations and responsiveness.
Keeper animations still need some work though.
There are some really good ones when saving or parrying the ball.
But when a goal is shot he looks too bad in most cases.

Guys do we have any experienced players that have a guide for all the manual controls for peeps like me who have never played manual before?

at first you will probably underhit some of the "easy" passes because it's normally just a quick press of the button to pass to the player next to you on assisted

hardest things will be crossing from the side and 1 on 1 on keepers so don't get too frustrated right away with those 2

you will get better game by game

I've played PES 2014 a lot and I was thrilled about the animations because from PES 2013 they were a huge step forward.
I just don't see why they should be so much better than on 2015 and 2016.

Specially on 2016 there are so many fluid and realistic ones (did a cross with Alaba the other day and the way he used his leg, body position and all looked so life like), but the game speed has to be on -1 for the demo.

I agree that visually 2014 looked a lot better than 2015. On PC at least.

But animations, I think PES 2016 has quite a good balance between animations and responsiveness.
Keeper animations still need some work though.
There are some really good ones when saving or parrying the ball.
But when a goal is shot he looks too bad in most cases.

2016 has way more animations than pes2014, in regards to shooting, volleying, disputing decisions etc, but for me 2014 had much better (and smoother) running animations and passing animations, which is a huge part of the game, meaning overall it looked more realistic. Pes2015/16 has those silly running animations where the palyer is really hunched over, and many players are have the excessive arm flapping... not to mention many of the passes don't have enough backlift... this may be to improve response times who knows... its either cut out the number of frames in the animation sequence, or speed up the animation sequence (kinda what fifa does).

I actually had a play around with pes2014 demo in basic training mode.. the dribbling training.. I set shooting to manual and had some free runs and shots at goal... really looks good, and the ball physics and sound are quite amazing. I do remember that ingame things slowed down a heap when too many players were in the box, so as to ruining the flow of the game. But again, it looked great..

BTW, is there a way of reversing (taking away) the final patch from ps3 version... is there a way to uninstall most recently installed patch. I have the final patch for pes2014 applied on the ps3.. and id like to go to the second last patch to give it a go... I guess I could uninstall the game, and reinstall..but wouldn't this mean that the automatic patch update would simply apply the final one??

2016 has way more animations than pes2014, in regards to shooting, volleying, disputing decisions etc, but for me 2014 had much better (and smoother) running animations and passing animations, which is a huge part of the game, meaning overall it looked more realistic. Pes2015/16 has those silly running animations where the palyer is really hunched over, and many players are have the excessive arm flapping... not to mention many of the passes don't have enough backlift... this may be to improve response times who knows... its either cut out the number of frames in the animation sequence, or speed up the animation sequence (kinda what fifa does).

I actually had a play around with pes2014 demo in basic training mode.. the dribbling training.. I set shooting to manual and had some free runs and shots at goal... really looks good, and the ball physics and sound are quite amazing. I do remember that ingame things slowed down a heap when too many players were in the box, so as to ruining the flow of the game. But again, it looked great..

BTW, is there a way of reversing (taking away) the final patch from ps3 version... is there a way to uninstall most recently installed patch. I have the final patch for pes2014 applied on the ps3.. and id like to go to the second last patch to give it a go... I guess I could uninstall the game, and reinstall..but wouldn't this mean that the automatic patch update would simply apply the final one??

That's the thing with 14, it looks really good but when you actually play the full game again the nostalgia wears off and the game-breaking elements kick in. The CPU AI (both teammate and opponent) has moments that ruin it. Players taking an extra touch when they should be shooting a rebounded ball directly into goal, etc. The decision making is a step or two too slow.

And there's really no way to revert to a previous update on consoles. You can delete the system cache and go back to version 1.00, but that's it.

I messed around with Pes 2014 a few weeks ago and deleted all the option files and put option files from pes.it I think as I wanted Serie b. started to play the game and found it plays differently even though it says version 1.16 and data pack 7.00.

I haven't a clue how it happened but the momentum fouls seemed to be gone or down to a bare minimum some matches there was none. It doesn't register a foul if you shoot when sliding and take out the opponent. It plays like one of the previous patches that's why I've been playing it up until the new demo. Doesn't make any sense and I don't know how it happened. The demo is way more difficult to play.

That's the thing with 14, it looks really good but when you actually play the full game again the nostalgia wears off and the game-breaking elements kick in. The CPU AI (both teammate and opponent) has moments that ruin it. Players taking an extra touch when they should be shooting a rebounded ball directly into goal, etc. The decision making is a step or two too slow.

And there's really no way to revert to a previous update on consoles. You can delete the system cache and go back to version 1.00, but that's it.

damn, that's no good. How do you delete system cache??? system settings??? is version 1.00 the first patch or is that just with the game installed first time?? I still have the pes2014 disc.

Btw, regarding the slow response (extra touch being made), this actually forced me to make decisions super early.. im talking about human vs cpu. Online was a complete joke, where response time was a second or 2 later..totally unplayable

But this is the thing regarding response time and slow down etc etc.. with pes 2014, I exclusively played in training free mode.. vs 11 (not vs 1).. it was amazing..really summed up what pes next gen should have been. Give it a go if you haven't. But as soon I played vs computer in a proper exhibition game that's when reaction times and slowdown was visible. The last patch kinda fixed this, but really, pes2014 was at its best playing in free training vs 11. You can pick the team you play against etc, just no crowd... sucks yeah..but response was reasonable and everything just ran as smoothly as it should...

I ultimately think that pes2014 was a game that required the processing power of the ps4, not ps3.

Back
Top Bottom