PES 2016 News & Discussion Thread

what fifa does better than pes, as a player of fifa 12 til now, is inside the area player control, it seems pes has some lack of animation inside the area to accomodate a move ur doing, or trying to shoot when ur being hassle on the ball inside the area in pes most likely u will either lose the ball from behind or not shooting at all, fifa certainly does it better when ur in tight spaces, there is simply more fluidity in the movement of the player in tight space.
Really good post, totally agree.

I've been playing the demo a little bit more over the last few days, on -1 (which is perfect IMO), on Superstar, with different combinations of teams, and the AI shines at times (I still think it's too ping-pongy, but I have to admit seeing the different between Juve's counter-attacking and Bayern's build-up does excite me).

This is one of the things that stands out for me though as one of the major negatives, along with the rebound goals. I was really enjoying a game against the AI last night until the 80th minute, when my keeper deflected a really soft shot straight back to the same striker to score - and then in the 90th minute, when their keeper did the same thing to my striker and I scored. Really spoilt it for me.

This is stuff that can be patched, though, and that's exciting. The last two things I need to know personally, the last two "biggies" for me, are... A) Will the final version be slowed down online, and B) will online have button lag like last year?

I think after all the complaints about the latter, there won't be. But nobody knows...

This is one of the things that stands out for me though as one of the major negatives, along with the rebound goals. I was really enjoying a game against the AI last night until the 80th minute, when my keeper deflected a really soft shot straight back to the same striker to score - and then in the 90th minute, when their keeper did the same thing to my striker and I scored. Really spoilt it for me.

This is stuff that can be patched, though, and that's exciting.
This behaviour of goalkeepers is intended, the whole game is built around these scripted interactions between players. They won't patch that because they don't want to patch it.

You always get a lot of rebound goals in football it's a big part of the game..

Doesn't happen enough in Fifa and while it can be common in pes it works both ways..I wouldn't say it's scripted now as its more then defendable..

Deflected goals are always common with players that don't clear there lines,trying to walk the ball out of the box and standing off forwards..

It's all part of cause and effect and I would argue now the ball isnt deliberately scripted to behave this way..it's the nature of physics and the direction a ball generally rebounds.Ive seen plenty that have gone know where near the opposing team and plenty that have been easier for my defenders to scoop up..as well as those that have been 50/50..

And I call the claims the cpu is likely to score in the last period of the game as BS..held onto to many victories,and had my fare share of last minute equalisers and wins.

Does someboody else are finding the goals too small? L1 + triangule lob is too accurate and I hope in full game, the AI dont rush in the attack so much. With some proper side step dribbling, like PES 5 for exemple, ball controlling would be perfect. Great game this year anyway.

nah, i think what you don't see enough is defected goals, you know those goals which always take some sort of nick on them to slightly change pace of the ball, it really don't happen enough.

Chris Davies

If your defenders are in position your rarely see a deflected goal..you can be fortress like in pes16.

Klashman

I've seen plenty of balls hitting various parts of players legs be it inside and out and direction changes from nicks from players be it there legs or other body parts..it can work for and against you..a bit like real life..I diffinetly wouldn't say things are predictable..

Pes16 has massive advances in ball and collision physics that transcend beyond just ball flight.

This game isn't pes of old..it might not be immediately obvious but there's a very clever game under the hood.

Last edited:
played some more games this week, it's definately the most enjoyable game since the ps2 era

the two biggest things for me why i still prefer pes5 are the basic/boring ball physics, just way too easy to dribble, pass and receive the ball without problem with every player, even on manual, and the second thing is the individuality, especially in speed burst and ball control

and i've seen keepers going for a header duel in their own box at least 10 times now

but overall i'm enjoying it much more than last week, if there is 2vs2 online i will buy it for sure

Naturally I can't judge the game on assisted..I simply won't go there..

Not because I think I'm elitist..far from it because I feel your selling yourself short of what the game truly has to offer..and I genuinely believe this game is designed to be played unassisted..

The presets are stabilisers not something I believe the developer intended people to play the game in longterm..

I don't think it hard to learn to control direction and power...because it makes you learn how to use the momentum of the players better.

Last edited:
i mentioned in my post earlier, did they fix the close quarters player control?tight spaces etc... or we are still at the mercy of what animation the game does that leaves totally not in control of what u want to do, which fifa does great and with great responsiveness, this is the main aspect we need to have in the new iteration of the game.

i mentioned in my post earlier, did they fix the close quarters player control?tight spaces etc... or we are still at the mercy of what animation the game does that leaves totally not in control of what u want to do, which fifa does great and with great responsiveness, this is the main aspect we need to have in the new iteration of the game.

What you get now is a game that is equally as responsive as Fifa...main differencenow is pes has the response but also the right balance all across the park..defence,midfield,upfront..

This is highlighted in the demo perfectly with France and Brazil and how physical power and physicality can balance speed and flight of foot..

Pes has also for me now captured match flow and momentum(rub of the green)ie work rate and intelligence is rewarded by greater player motivation..it swings like a pendulum and matches can turn on there heads...but its arresting and the additional depth of control and freedom at times is breathtaking.

There also a massive improvement in team mate ai and areas like crossing(very varied in unassisted and something that needed steeping up).

When it comes to player modelling and collision physics..natural and far more organic then Fifa..

Just a slight question mark with the refs and there lenient attitude.

Naturally everythings subjective and its opinion..

Last edited:
Naturally I can't judge the game on assisted..I simply won't go there..

Not because I think I'm elitist..far from it because I feel your selling yourself short of what the game truly has to offer..and I genuinely believe this game is designed to be played unassisted..

The presets are stabilisers not something I believe the developer intended people to play the game in longterm..

I don't think it hard to learn to control direction and power...because it makes you learn how to use the momentum of the players better.

The problem with assisted these days is the 360 degree movement and the levels of freedom available in this generation of games.

Level 1 assists when it done right like last year, and in yars before like 2013/2014 even its wonderful, anything above that just is too easy by nature of the freedom given to you.

The L2 Manual pass is literally essential to modern PES games now and if people aren't using that and moving players into space then they just aren't getting the best out of PES these days.

This is why i'm always so skeptical of all these guys saying PES 6 is still better.

The problem with assisted these days is the 360 degree movement and the levels of freedom available in this generation of games.

Level 1 assists when it done right like last year, and in yars before like 2013/2014 even its wonderful, anything above that just is too easy by nature of the freedom given to you.

The L2 Manual pass is literally essential to modern PES games now and if people aren't using that and moving players into space then they just aren't getting the best out of PES these days.

This is why i'm always so skeptical of all these guys saying PES 6 is still better.

Pes ps2 as you've also highlighted clash was heavily automated..a swing away from what konami did pre pes and what Iss by kceot did konamis other football division..more direct control ala Fifa and less stat driven..

You more then anyone also saw what pes needed and how its limitations have been more about technology and underdevelopment(missing elements or elements that were required to have a game that was more free).

It's defineltly a different animal now which I hoped pes from pes6 would become..not a Fifa clone but the best of what konami did with there games when the end user had more direct control(Iss)and that feeling you got on the ps2 with pes that ball was a free entity.

It's the best of both worlds just done better pes16..

Last edited:
Manual shooting is the way to go with this game. Far more variety in goals scored and chances missed. I prefer to keep passing on the default setting to help kep the short, sharp passing in the middle of the park more realistic. What I desperately want though is an option for throughballs to be manual (not the horrible advanced throughball we have just now). I can still see the simple tap of the throughball button being a game killer online.

Is it just me or does the penalty box and goal frames seem a bit small in comparison to the player size? This could be the reason play seems so congested in and around the box and long shooting so common.

Pes ps2 as you've also highlighted clash was heavily automated..a swing away from what konami did pre pes and what Iss by kceot did konamis other football division..more direct control ala Fifa and less stat driven..

You more then anyone also saw what pes needed and how its limitations have been more about technology and underdevelopment(missing elements or elements that were required to have a game that was more free).

It's defineltly a different animal now which I hoped pes from pes6 would become..not a Fifa clone but the best of what konami did with there games when the end user had more direct control(Iss)and that feeling you got on the ps2 with pes that ball was a free entity.

It's the best of both worlds just done better pes16..

Yeah, they got the game right in theory in this generation between PES 2014-2016 and what has helped was the 2011-2013 development.

PES didn't invest and where left behind from 2008-2010, but by not panicking or throwing the towel in or doing anything stupid, they where wise in what they did for PES 2011. The looked at FIFA since 08 and 09, saw it technically was miles, miles better but saw how hollow the game was and decided to focus on their strengths when making PES 2011.

That game i think was a big turning point for the franchise as they finally moved away from the 8 directions, d-Pad style to 360 movement with stat relevant passing, shooting and all.

I think most importantly despite not investing enough again in PES 2011-13 and using a revamped engine they found things and advanced things forward, the games especially 2013 where a lot better and deeper than the PS2 games despite not being titles true to the PS3 technology and in general off the pitch being crap to very underwhelming titles. One thing they have got nailed on what for me made PES 2013 special in its gameplay as the responsiveness. Its the benchmark for any football game. Still PES 2016 struggles to meet that games responsiveness which is the next step forward for 2017.

Here is an example of where PES need to move forward next year, going back to the future: At 4:41 You see this run from Agbonglahor, you just lightly tap the R1 button, look at the instant responsive bursts of speed there, as if you your taking intermittent 'quick steps'. You still can't do this in PES 2016, you have to hold R1 down to get him sprinting, the responsiveness while brilliant and smooth, isn't on this level yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuQQ4m-hDoU

Again i think the best reason why i still so, so skeptical on those who keep saying the PS2 games where deeper.

PES 2013 was Konami vision of football pushed as far as it could go on that engine. PES 2014-16 has been about working hard and building up on all the weak points of PES 2013 and previous, focusing heavily on things they couldn't do before. I like talking about this because it shows how you can do great things when you don't panic and moan and look at you strengths and utilize them to the best ability.

Konami have done very well to get themselves out of the big hole they where in around PES 2008-09, no different to Southampton/Bournemouth and Swansea who rose like a phoenix after clearing away the crap and getting the fundamentals right.

Yeah, they got the game right in theory in this generation between PES 2014-2016 and what has helped was the 2011-2013 development.

PES didn't invest and where left behind from 2008-2010, but by not panicking or throwing the towel in or doing anything stupid, they where wise in what they did for PES 2011. The looked at FIFA since 08 and 09, saw it technically was miles, miles better but saw how hollow the game was and decided to focus on their strengths when making PES 2011.

That game i think was a big turning point for the franchise as they finally moved away from the 8 directions, d-Pad style to 360 movement with stat relevant passing, shooting and all.

I think most importantly despite not investing enough again in PES 2011-13 and using a revamped engine they found things and advanced things forward, the games especially 2013 where a lot better and deeper than the PS2 games despite not being titles true to the PS3 technology and in general off the pitch being crap to very underwhelming titles. One thing they have got nailed on what for me made PES 2013 special in its gameplay as the responsiveness. Its the benchmark for any football game. Still PES 2016 struggles to meet that games responsiveness which is the next step forward for 2017.

Here is an example of where PES need to move forward next year, going back to the future: At 4:41 You see this run from Agbonglahor, you just lightly tap the R1 button, look at the instant responsive bursts of speed there, as if you your taking intermittent 'quick steps'. You still can't do this in PES 2016, you have to hold R1 down to get him sprinting, the responsiveness while brilliant and smooth, isn't on this level yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuQQ4m-hDoU

Again i think the best reason why i still so, so skeptical on those who keep saying the PS2 games where deeper.

PES 2013 was Konami vision of football pushed as far as it could go on that engine. PES 2014-16 has been about working hard and building up on all the weak points of PES 2013 and previous, focusing heavily on things they couldn't do before. I like talking about this because it shows how you can do great things when you don't panic and moan and look at you strengths and utilize them to the best ability.

Konami have done very well to get themselves out of the big hole they where in around PES 2008-09, no different to Southampton/Bournemouth and Swansea who rose like a phoenix after clearing away the crap and getting the fundamentals right.

I can't really question or argue about a shared knowledge and passion for the series and certainly gave my time and commitment equally to everything that came after pes5(the benchmark of pes on the ps2 for me)..

Personally I feel pes16 gets everything that came from pes11 right without compromising what is truly unique about pes..the frustration I felt seeing there vision not ever becoming complete and the pieces always feeling slightly undercooked has only made this year that much sweeter.

Cheers for the reply and a well written detailed post.

Yep, the sprinting is a little problem I'm having with this game.
And yes, it worked a lot better in PES 2013.

I also prefer the FIFA way using the right stick for this.

I'm not a speed whore but it would be better if the sprinting would work like it did before PES 2014.

I stopped playing the demo a week ago. Haven't turned the PS4 back on. I preordered PES 2016 yesterday. I stopped playing it because I want to "forget" about how it feels in the upcoming 3 weeks. I want to still feel it fresh when I get the full game. I still want to discover little things that WOW me, 3 weeks from now. But I know that if I kept playing the Demo the amount of time I was palying it, I was leaving no room for surprises.

Also I really truly hope they've left some more new animations OUT of the demo intentionally, in order to give themselves some room to blow us aways a little more. Even if just 3 or 4

I've decided that the very first thing I'm gonna do when I download the full game, is play a Champions League. Straight up. Not even entering the Edit menu to see faces. Straight to CL. I can't wait.

I'm not a speed whore but it would be better if the sprinting would work like it did before PES 2014.

True dat. There should be more variation regarding players speed burst and sprinting. Talented players like Hazard, Silva, Agüero, Neymar, Messi, etc, should be able to keep the ball glued to their feet, then full speed, and little speed bursts. It just feels a little limited in that area still.

But now they've got GREAT ROCK SOLID foundations to take PES to a whole nother level next year. They finally can start focusing on presentation, graphics improvement, scoreboards and all the little details we all miss. But there's one thing they MUST remember from now on: ANIMATIONS, ANIMATIONS, ANIMATIONS.

I differ..with Fifa I'm yet to feel any sense of weight or momentum and prefer the system they've adopted in pes16..its already really smooth and responsive..you also get a great sense of balance and range of movement just from the right stick..the dash button is what I would consider what a dash button should be a means of creating bursts of momentum and quick movement with the ball...its subtle and has a greater impact on gameplay because it factors both ways and defensively you can use it to turn and gain a stride on a defenders that's nipping at your heels as well as keep stride and not be out manoeuvred by a forward that has momentum with the ball..

That's the genius of pes16..you can physically create momentum with clever use of the dash button how you turn and move on and off the ball..

Momentum and acceleration was non existent in PES 2013. Just saying.

Haven't played the demo.

1) At times do the wrong players still run towards the pass when it makes no logical sense?

2) is the running on rails thing still as big an issue as before?

3) Have goal kicks improved? In previous PES', players would just stand in the centre circle and you'd have no control over them.

4) Please tell me there's more customisable camera controls! :PRAY:

Last edited:
This behaviour of goalkeepers is intended, the whole game is built around these scripted interactions between players. They won't patch that because they don't want to patch it.

Glad i'm not the only one who sees it.:BOP:

Everyone needs to tweet KONANI GET THE FKN SKRIPTING/CHEATING OUT!

My Goalie is an AI:RANT:

Last edited:
Haven't played the demo.

1) At times do the wrong players still run towards the pass when it makes no logical sense?

2) is the running on rails thing still as big an issue as before?

3) Have goal kicks improved? In previous PES', players would just stand in the centre circle and you'd have no control over them.

4) Please tell me there's more customisable camera controls! :PRAY:

What do you mean running on rails?
When your on defense and you have to run on the line the AI wants you to.
Yeah, that's cheating AI BS.

Why, do we have to always fight the AI, for control of our player, we have control of?

Last edited:
I differ..with Fifa I'm yet to feel any sense of weight or momentum and prefer the system they've adopted in pes16..its already really smooth and responsive..you also get a great sense of balance and range of movement just from the right stick..the dash button is what I would consider what a dash button should be a means of creating bursts of momentum and quick movement with the ball...its subtle and has a greater impact on gameplay because it factors both ways and defensively you can use it to turn and gain a stride on a defenders that's nipping at your heels as well as keep stride and not be out manoeuvred by a forward that has momentum with the ball..

That's the genius of pes16..you can physically create momentum with clever use of the dash button how you turn and move on and off the ball..

I agree with you totally, I think they have it just right this year. There's more skill and thinking involved when you take on players instead of sprinting past them using the R1 which would be exploited. The defense in this game is spot on.

Chris Davies

If your defenders are in position your rarely see a deflected goal..you can be fortress like in pes16.
Come on, man... I'm enjoying the demo more now that I can see the AI differences, but this is a bit silly, and to me, you're coming across as blindly defensive.

You're telling me I can't play a high-line defence so that I can avoid rebound goals? I always have to keep a defender next to the keeper "just in-case"? No, there's no team in reality that says "okay guys, everyone defend deep because our keeper can't hold onto a fucking football", or "their striker is a rebound machine"... You'd just get another keeper...

Rebound goals are part of the game, yes, but PES used to boast the biggest variety of goals and all the reviews (as well as the players) used to rave about that. In the demo, I've seen the same "keeper flap" and the ball land back at the striker's feet for a tap-in goal 5-6 times. And I've only played the demo about 20 times now...

I wouldn't mind if the keeper rebounded it to a different striker than the guy who's just hit the ball, or if it looked realistic, but it's always a really soft "thwack" of the ball (almost like he's hit the ball with a pillow) that doesn't move more than 20ft away from him and lets anyone in the area just stroke it home.

Again - I'm genuinely enjoying the demo now, which I wasn't originally, and I nitpick every football game looking for perfection, but seeing the same goal repeatedly and having no power over it (and you don't), is crap.

That being said, I'm sure they'll tweak goalkeepers. I'm not the first to mention it, I don't believe it's part of any "script" and I think they'll do something about it - especially with the game being one of the best PES games overall.

Last edited:
Come on, man... I'm enjoying the demo more now that I can see the AI differences, but this is a bit silly, and to me, you're coming across as blindly defensive.

You're telling me I can't play a high-line defence so that I can avoid rebound goals? I always have to keep a defender next to the keeper "just in-case"? No, there's no team in reality that says "okay guys, everyone defend deep because our keeper can't hold onto a fucking football", or "their striker is a rebound machine"... You'd just get another keeper...

Rebound goals are part of the game, yes, but PES used to boast the biggest variety of goals and all the reviews (as well as the players) used to rave about that. In the demo, I've seen the same "keeper flap" and the ball land back at the striker's feet for a tap-in goal 5-6 times. And I've only played the demo about 20 times now...

I wouldn't mind if the keeper rebounded it to a different striker than the guy who's just hit the ball, or if it looked realistic, but it's always a really soft "thwack" of the ball (almost like he's hit the ball with a pillow) that doesn't move more than 20ft away from him and lets anyone in the area just stroke it home.

Again - I'm genuinely enjoying the demo now, which I wasn't originally, and I nitpick every football game looking for perfection, but seeing the same goal repeatedly and having no power over it (and you don't), is crap.

That being said, I'm sure they'll tweak goalkeepers. I'm not the first to mention it, I don't believe it's part of any "script" and I think they'll do something about it - especially with the game being one of the best PES games overall.

Said nothing about Playing a high line and I hold by my statements...

Always prefer it when people think for themselves...my view is just that my view.

Back
Top Bottom