PES 2014 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say I've noticed the AI pressure has been needlessly increased post patch. I'm relatively happy with the new patch however, it's starting to resemble more of a finished product then the game that shipped in September.

My only nuances are that now we've gone from never witnessing any long range goals to now I'm almost always conceding one every match. Shooting Power is just a touch to powerful.

The second being Cursor switching, i know a lot of people consider PES 6 to be the holy grail of Football gaming, and it's been referred to - to death on these Forums but if there's one thing I'd long to see return from that game, it would be the Manual cursor switching.

On PC after the latest Patch, I feel like beeing in a billiard game. Ball comes through a collision to my defender, he doesn't play the ball at once, so a striker (mostly CR7) comes, checks my defender, takes the ball and notches in. I mean, my defenders aren't the smallest one, or just 60kg, but CR7, Ibra etc. just make a little bodycheck to take the ball. Very realistic! Also on shoots, the goalies seem to think whether they should jump or not, and jump just then, when the ball passes them. Seems funny.
AND shoots from superstars are just always in, and shoots from "normal" players against good goalies hit the post most the time, just had a game against Real with Fiorentina, and Gomez and Rossi hit the post 3 times in a row on an attack, which brings me to swear at the programmers..

I see what you did there
smugg.png

ahah, oh boy. fixed that. embarassing.

On PC after the latest Patch, I feel like beeing in a billiard game. Ball comes through a collision to my defender, he doesn't play the ball at once, so a striker (mostly CR7) comes, checks my defender, takes the ball and notches in. I mean, my defenders aren't the smallest one, or just 60kg, but CR7, Ibra etc. just make a little bodycheck to take the ball.

Gomez and Rossi hit the post 3 times in a row on an attack, which brings me to swear at the programmers..

Blatant crippling and sabotaging player's efforts is a featured PES 2014 gameplay design.

Maybe we this years version should be remembered as the "double tap" PES game... i actually love it and think the physics are above any other game (easy!) on any platform.

but, double tap is the key.

double tap R1 (PS3)... is the speed burst. try it with anyone with good explosive stat and watch the quick separation.
double tap the cross button... deadly ground cross. EXTRA... double tap the cross button (square) and L1 (early cross) and send screamers into the box.
double tap shoot - ok this probably just controls the shot power, put still
double tap R2 for quick deft touch dribble moves.

defense..
double tap tackle button for a nice lunge tackle - for hard tackle types looking at you Stoke fans
double tap x for teammate help.

any other hints or stick skills people want to share. the nuances are always the key here.

btw - does anyone have a list of dribble feints?

I honestly think the current patch might have created the worst version of PES 2014. Had a 5 hour plus session playing against my brother, he only used City. I must have lost about 9 games straight to him and only won one, with Barcelona. I used United, Milan, Bayern, PSG and Real against him. He uses 3 bar passing so 180 no-look passes are ubiquitous and eventually I caved and used 2 bar, with which I won my only game.

Impressions:

- Don't like the way you can be sprinting and stop on a dime in an instant, it looks so ugly.

- Don't like how you can spin 180, when turning direction, faster than the speed of light. This is not a simulation.

- There are even less fouls being called, which means it's even harder to protect the ball. This combined with even worse collision detection has made Yaya Toure into a cheat player who can just block you off and grab the ball from you whenever he's a few feet away.

- Sometimes players just pass through each other and sometimes a player is blocked off illegally and no foul is called.

- Players don't run into the box when there's a FK from a non-shooting spot.

- Speed means nothing, because the catch-up bug has gone from affecting the last man defender to affecting play in central midfield. While Ronaldo is sprinting at top speed towards the box, Fernandinho is just jogging past him.

Maybe we this years version should be remembered as the "double tap" PES game... i actually love it and think the physics are above any other game (easy!) on any platform.

but, double tap is the key.

double tap R1 (PS3)... is the speed burst. try it with anyone with good explosive stat and watch the quick separation.
double tap the cross button... deadly ground cross. EXTRA... double tap the cross button (square) and L1 (early cross) and send screamers into the box.
double tap shoot - ok this probably just controls the shot power, put still
double tap R2 for quick deft touch dribble moves.

defense..
double tap tackle button for a nice lunge tackle - for hard tackle types looking at you Stoke fans
double tap x for teammate help.

any other hints or stick skills people want to share. the nuances are always the key here.

btw - does anyone have a list of dribble feints?

What moves are available for double tap R2? I didn't know this was a command for something...

I use different buttons for the last 2?
- double tap X for lunging tackle
- double tap and hold square for teammate help

Someone should tell KONAMI that lowering the player switching doesn't make a simulation out of a crap game, which PES 2014 now, after the latest patch, definetly is.

I feel like playing with pregnant cows.

And YES, in football there is a card given, if you slaughter a player.

Edit: Managed to hit the post 4 times in a game now, waiting for an achievement or something like that...

Last edited:
I feel like, right now, with how overpowered the shooting is, the main way to enjoy this game is to completely ignore all the peripheral stats (possession %, shots, etc), and only focus on finding the difficulty level and assistance settings that give you most realistic scorelines. Right now I'm going with professional difficulty and manual shooting.

Edit: Managed to hit the post 4 times in a game now, waiting for an achievement or something like that...

Strange, I got the 'You've been scripted!' achievement in my very first game of Pes14.

Followed soon after in MLO with achievements for:

'Your 'HEART' has just been ripped out!'- (have your team turn into zombies while dominating a match),

'Blind man's buff keeper',

'Hurdles'-(have a defender jump over a pass 10 consecutive times),

'Ready, steady, run away from goal'- (concede from corner with no defenders within a 10 metre radius),

'Hot Potato!'- (wingback to let a pass go out of bounds),

'Dominos'- (get knocked down with every tackle in a match),

'Back to the Future'- (play a lateral through ball to wing that goes behind the player, or player over runs),

'Slasher movie'- (finish an MLO game with 9 or less players due to injury, and no opponent yellow cards),

'Choo choo train'- (get taken away from the ball with the 'rail' running),

'Pick Me!, pick me!'- (cycle through your entire team twice before selecting the defender closest to the ball),

'I've never seen you before'- (attempt to give 'player feedback' after a match),

'It's a BOMB!'- (your dribbler to leave ball + sprint away),

and my personal favourite 'Quicksand Sprinter'.

Achievements in this game are a piece of piss, especially that one I got for loading up the game for the first time - 'You've been conned, lol'.

Last edited:
I feel like, right now, with how overpowered the shooting is, the main way to enjoy this game is to completely ignore all the peripheral stats (possession %, shots, etc), and only focus on finding the difficulty level and assistance settings that give you most realistic scorelines. Right now I'm going with professional difficulty and manual shooting.

How's that going? I'm thinking of doing the same in the hope it will solve the dreadful defending against the AI but still provide a balanced game. I lost 5-0 in ML in one game with every goal down to poor player switching and the AI hitting the exact same top corner of the net for every goal. Defending is the one thing ruining the game for me.

What moves are available for double tap R2? I didn't know this was a command for something...

I use different buttons for the last 2?
- double tap X for lunging tackle
- double tap and hold square for teammate help

I have the feeling (I also think I read it somewhere) that if you hold down square your team mates are pressing on the attacker.
If you double tap square, the pressing increases and you force more team mates to do pressing.

I have the feeling (I also think I read it somewhere) that if you hold down square your team mates are pressing on the attacker.
If you double tap square, the pressing increases and you force more team mates to do pressing.
If that is a good way of playing is another matter. With so many players pressing, you leave other attackers unmarked...

I like the double tap system. It gives me more options to either sprint, run, or jog. A lot more options than just cramming down one button. And how/when to double tap is also a nice thing cause you can't just double tap all the time. You have to read the defenders and your own player's ability.

With that, I play counter all the time...

If that is a good way of playing is another matter. With so many players pressing, you leave other attackers unmarked...

Didn´t say it was good though, just described the function ;).

But you are right, I barely use that as you leave too many gaps open.

Well I also see fouls that should not be called, ie tackles after shots when the shooter lands on the tackler

I will tell you what's wrong with pes!
Scripting online and offline
Inept player switching
And stupid AI of defensive team mates that do not recognize the friggin ball, either running straight past it or just standing still.
Utter utter garbage!!!

Player switching is an issue, especially when defending a player will be a yard away from an attacker and I press L1 and it will cycle between 3 and 4 defenders 10-15 yards before I get to the player I want

Is it possible to switch between players with the analog stick? Also, I got the game a day or two ago so I'm sure its been discussed already, but what gives with the lack of using a photo when creating or editing a player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom