PES 2013 Discussion Thread

Here's almost a full game between Me Southampton and the Scum, Spurs.

The highlights are at the end. I love my equalizer at 24:04 minutes. Its an example of why this game is so dam good, you can take a risk, try something different or just try something and you always have a chance of getting a goal. You are free to score from fucking anywhere at any time! No other game does this at this level at all. Nowhere near.

Was a really good cross from Fox, Chirices just misjudges (not the best defender :) ) it straight battle between Lambert and the Keeper and i won, just about! A proper 'Football' which sums up this game. Pure football, other games just do not do this and aren't capable, only PES 2011-13 you see this sort of stuff!

Here is a better way to see how the tactics work over a 15 minute game and howto make sure your auto offside trap complements your given tactics, it wasn't working and Spurs where getting too much joy from my poor offside trap since my team was set to defend deep, i took it off which was the key tactical change which lead it to swing my way!

YouTube - PES 2013 Tottenham Hotspur vs Southampton

Ricky Lambert scores a hat trick, in Ricky Lambert style. No scripted easy finishes fro the same angle, no, old fashioned English Striker, using his power to get on the end of everything in the box.

Now that´s a real PES game, excellent AI, fluid and organic dribbling on attack, great variety of goals/plays by the CPU, excellent defensive system where you actually had to THINK to defend against the AI and not only press the pressure button or else you would be punished badly.

I really miss 2013 gameplay. Apart from animations this is the football simulation game that came closer to a real game. I hope konami goes back to the same gameplay formula for 2015 with 2014 animations.

Nice. This is just one game and on example though. Curios to know how many other games you get like this and what settings and patch you are using.

PES Galaxy patch the latest one.
http://www.pes-patch.com/2013/09/pesgalaxy-com-patch-2013-3-10.html

I took out all of the necessary kitserver commands so it dosen't ruin the gameplay speeders, removal of blur so its the real, legitimate gameplay.

I put the tactics in and edited and tweaked a few of them. I updated lots of ratings.

Thats about it.

Here is the game against Man City at home. Its a completely different game to the Spurs one and the next game vs Newcastle again will be completely different. This is what happens when every team has their own tactics.
YouTube - PES 2013 Southampton vs Manchester City

I really miss 2013 gameplay. Apart from animations this is the football simulation game that came closer to a real game. I hope konami goes back to the same gameplay formula for 2015 with 2014 animations.

100% agree.

Simulation is hard work, its not easy like many people these days want it, it takes time to learn for some and its not something you master and then relax, you have to constantly think in this game.

Last edited:
I don`t think I can go back to PES 13 after seeing those videos. The animations and movement in PES 14 are so much smoother. I`m going to play with keeper abilities to see if I can make them a bit better. That`s my biggest gripe with the new version.

Yes, i think this is something people just cannot look past. They see bad animations and that is it, they don't care about the gameplay flow, or balance, or what the CPU is doing, how it's creating attacks, how it defends.

I don't care too much about the animations looking as bad as they do because they work in representing football! As we can see in PES 2014 they needed to create a whole new engine to really improve them so what is there is the best they could do, not just that many new realistic animations have been put into the new engine it seems over the last few years as they old engine just wasn't good enough to come with so many.

On that awareness the animations just don't bother me in PES 2013.

Here's Southampton vs Sunderland.
YouTube - PES 2013 Southampton vs Sunderland

I have Two Barcelona videos coming up, one on PES 2013 other on PES 2014, very interesting to compare the differences. Funny because with the PES 2014 one, the game was ok, wasn't my favorite but it looks 100 times better on video for some reason when i can sit there and point out all the little things.

I hope you're not referring to me because CPU AI and gameplay is the single biggest decider for me when purchasing a game. Gameplay is the reason I get the 2k series every year. I didn't buy PES this year. Just rented it. Will probably rent again to see if the new patch/update fixed things.

Last edited:
Remember we need to go as deep as possible in deciding for ourselves what we look for in terms of gameplay.

- Some people look for how realistic the players move and feel being the most important factor.

- For some people it's how realistic the mechanics of shooting, passing and dribbling and how hard it is to pull them off.

- For some people it's how difficult the game is.

- For some others again it's how diverse the tactics system is and how it gets you to think.

- Others will look for other area's again like tricks, dead ballsmanual controls only, which they like and suit them.

There is no united understanding of what deem's to a person 'great gameplay'. People have different awareness of what they want.

There is no right or wrong which is the most important thing to remember in this discussion point.

Agree somewhat. At the end of day the gameplay has to have a fun factor to it. I could care less about how hard the shooting is if I'm having fun and it is semi realistic. I had fun with PES 2013 PC version . Played the crap out of it until a new version came along.

Klashman, you seem to enjoy PES 2013 better than PES 2014 like me, but have you managed to get rid of the awful low shot from the CPU ? I mean, it's pretty annoying and not realistic.

Otherwise I ask myself if it would be possible to import crowd texture from pes 2014 to pes 2013, the texture is ugly in pes 2013.

played few games on 1.04 then on 1.00 and it seems to me gameplay, animations and player movement is more natural and fluid in 1.00 then in 1.04.

Yeah I did the same thing. At 1.00, the game does feel more fluid, and the manual passing was more consistent as well.

Game was more fun too!

The key is playing it over and over until you really get accustomed to the game. I'm recently learning how to really master Pes 2013. I was so mad at the series that I ruled out Pes 2013 too soon after it was released and never enjoyed it until now. I really have to thank Pes 2014 in that regard, that it made me realise the potential of Pes 2013 and utilise it. Now if Pes 2015 makes us turn back to Pes 2014 then I don't know what to say anymore, but I can't imagine anyone ever turning back to Pes 2014. It will turn out as a black hole in Pes history.

I used to think the dribbling was ineffective in Pes 2013; that everyone was pretty much the same and they turn fast as hell. It's true everyone is on agility steroids but the key when you play this game is actually to pretty much not do much at all. Yeah, just follow the flow of the tactics instead of pushing the game too far with an arcade approach.

When you dribble for example you need to let go of the buttons every now and then, just let the player jog slowly with the ball or hold of an opponent, then make a sudden acceleration past a player. If you are really patient and stop overusing the controller the game will reward you. Its the same when defending, let your team do most of the positioning and only use the controller when you really need to.

Pes 2013 has its flaws but actually is pretty intelligently designed. You have to be really sensitive and intuitive with controller input (all this on manual ofc). Its a delicate balance to find. Once you really start to experience the dept of this game you start enjoying it decently and realise what a piece of garbage Fifa is in comparison.

As much as Konami fucked up the series, Pes still is an intellectual football game compared to Fifa. Fifa is for ignorant iPhone using people.

Pes 2013 really could be much much better though I have to say. Everyone who plays Pes 2013 today are using it as a life vest not to drown in the absence of good football games, and in harsh times it's easy to appreciate small things you even hated before. It's like that movie when a girl is trapped into a bunker with a piece of raw meat as her only food. She refuses to eat it and after a few days worms appear in the meat. Eventually her hunger takes over and she eats it up with great apetite. Thats sort of the same situation we are with Pes 2013, it turned out delicious when you have no choice.

Bon f*ckin' apetite!

Last edited:
Reminding myself to never watch that movie.

But yeah, the game is clicking for me too suddenly. Good to see this thread still active. If anyone can recommend subtle mods or Jenkey gameplay tool settings, please do so. Also sneaky controls that are not mentioned anywhere..

Big letdown for me in PES 2013, is the shooting from ai that never varies. Always low corner and never long shot.

Would like to hear some opinions on version 1.00, i only played 1.03 and 1.04 ?

Big letdown for me in PES 2013, is the shooting from ai that never varies. Always low corner and never long shot.

Would like to hear some opinions on version 1.00, i only played 1.03 and 1.04 ?

The CPU Ai does shoot from range, I've seen it many times. If they have the Player Cards, they use them.

Also, use R2 when dribbling, hold to bring the ball close, then move off. That shift in body weight is all you need.

I really don't believe people gave PES 13 a chance, it's an amazing game of football in my opinion. And myself and all my mates are quite happy to play with for another year. No question. :)

I still love it :WORSHIP:
More I play it, more I love it.
You simply have to think logical and with your heart for football and then it plays like football.
It would be great if everyone would just play football without using the bugs, without long balls from defends to forward.
But mostly I am lucky and get in the MLO players who play PES and don´t use it for their own satisfaction, if you know what I mean ;)

The best games I have are against my friends with same settings and balanced Teams. The winner is mostly the player who made less mistakes and keep playing the longest concentrated. This are the best matches :BOP:

The attacking AI isn't great. They never really keep the ball and rarely, if ever, put you under pressure from sustained possession. You'll just get moments where they launch through balls through and you need to defend, almost like every team is worked to counter-attack and that's the way they scores 95 times out of 100 from open-play.

That said, I'm playing 2013 again and it is a good game. I always thought that the game was too gun-ho, with it feeling like you're being pushed towards the goal and while that's true, it's to your disadvantage if you don't fight it and play possession football. Putting too many players forward will result in exactly what I put in the first paragraph. The game doesn't exactly promote tactical play but it requires it. The play is tight and when you're crowded around the opponent's box, you know that you can't just bully your way into the box

The tackling system is good. Dribbling is good too (quite underrated I feel). Counter-attacks might be too effective but it's up to you to not leave yourself open to them (the AI isn't quite as skilled at that unfortunately).

The only real down-side is shooting physics which are always low and hard.

I'm playing on 1.0, so I can't compare with others yet (I sort of fear they ramped up the speed like every single other time they've patched a game this gen)

Well after I read your latest posts, nostalgia hits me and I found myself reinstalling PES 2013 and you know what? Surprise surprise, it feels so much better then 2014!

I had the opinion, when 2014 came out, that the game was gorgeous. I still have actually. There are a couple of things this game does right, not perfectly but right enough to keep me plugged. The animations, body movement and momentum, the time a player takes to shoot and jump to a header... and some other smaller details that, in my opinion, no other soccer game has ever had. Sometimes, for a couple of seconds in some situations, this game just feels and looks perfect.
Unfortunatly these perfections are forgoten because there´s other things that keep coming up and damage completely the good details the game has to offer. The bad GK positioning and the super stops to compensate, the horrible bug where sudenly the controled defender gets zombie mode after a ball hit, the almost impossible to defend corners, etc. Still, though not very happy, I could live with that, enjoying the good moments the game offers.

After all these months, I thought I was dreaming too much, saying PES 2014 was after all a great game. Yeah you can change clubs in master league, something I always dreamed of. Yeah you can manage a national team, that´s even better. But the after match "meh" feeling was starting to get me bored most of the time so, what the heck, lets get back to PES 2013. First match and a smile came right to me. It seems weird because aparently this game´s animations are horrible compared to 2014. You might say that, but most animations work in a way that represent what happens in real life. I rather see that then watching some beatiful move that doesn´t make sense at all in most situations. Passing and shooting, dispite some criticism, looks and feels spot on. Tactics, no need to say, work like in no other game. Ok, overall it´s not perfect, and there are lots of arguments to say this is a bad game. But what I see is a code that represents pretty much what happens in real life, adapted to 10-15 min. matches. Game is also very unpredictable. If we use the shot button the same way in several situations, changes are we will see diferent outcomes in every one of them, so we can expect diferent things a some surprises now and then...

Of course there´s negative things, like the defensive line problem, but nothing gamebreaking. Gameplay is realistic and fun at the same time. Some might say AI alway atack the same way and is too much direct atacking, but I believe the CPU reacts the way we play. If CPU keeps doing the same thing over and over, that´s because we´re letting him to, in some way.

It´s all about going forward in inteligent ways, its about covering spaces and positioning, its about patience. Its probably the best PES overall. For me at least, I found that after all I love this game and I´m enjoying the gameplay like never before.

Maybe someone can answer this, is it still the case also in PES 2013 that there are hardly any injuries?

Back
Top Bottom