PES 2013 Discussion Thread

@Klashman:

Trust me, I know as well as you how to play the game. I play it now since release nearly every day and know how to defend, how to move players around, how to defend in midfield and how to cover forwardrunners... All that helps and I don't mind if the CPU caught me on the wrong foot and won the ball while I was attacking and succesfully countered.. I even applaud if the CPU achieves to pull something like that off.

But what I'm talking about when mentioning cheating is not something innocent like that. I'm talking about the CPU deliberately dragging away my players out of the way, or my attacking players running away from the ball when the CPU thinks it's not time for me to score.
Or with CPU-players suddenly becoming way faster, stronger than their stats normally allow.

Or with ball-deflections often going to the CPU... or my goalkeeper often parrying into the feet of the attackers, while on the other side the CPU-goalkeeper doesn't do that nearly as often.

This happens more clearly when playing with weak teams against stronger ones in single-player-competition-matches. Not at the beginning, but when some matches in, it comes out more and more.

Interestingly I found out lately that a way to reduce this accumulating cheating-effect is to save the game in a new slot, it seems like that way some things get resetted that way and my teams plays more free and engaging.

I doesn't matter if you play every day, its what you learn from each match and amend is what counts.

Don't forget teamvision. The CPU will adapt to how you play so if you keep doing the same thing match after match, they will stop you from succeeding constantly.

I've had saves go to strikers feet and all sorts of unlucky bounces and whatnow. Who is to say it's not just bad luck, you think it's always 100% cheating? You can't tell me you didn't make mistakes which lead to those instances happening?

Its the frustration of people being disappointed with PES in the past which leads people to look for faults rather than just play what is there.

Here is my video playing vs Man City.

YouTube - Arsenal vs Man City PES 2013

Its not me playing very well but some examples of how I defend. its about keeping shape rather than always jockeying the man on the ball. Especially after 8.48 in the video towards the end of the half I do this a lot, There are at least 2 examples.

- Instead of controlling gibbs who was facing yaya toure on the ball, i controlled Wilshere and moved him into the box, Aguero was free and i wanted to make sure if he passed it quickly the passing lane was cut out, Gibbs was doing a good job stopping him.

- At 9.50 I lose the ball, City attack with 3 men down the right, my team is positioned well so the best course of action was to take Theo, run back with him and make the tackle as the extra man.

You use the PC-version, right? Have you modded it in some way beside the graphical modding?

And is it exhibition match or some competition-match?

The other thing is you play with two pretty strong teams, most of the problems occur when playing with weak teams against strong ones.

And one last thing regarding possession-rates: You mentioned that you don't have a problem with possession rates because you set up the tactics right, different from the generic counter-tactics. But nonetheless as to be seen at the end of the video, the CPU-controlled team Manchester City has only 37% possession.

To be honest, I've always felt that Jimmy G-Force was a bit of a PES apologist. With that said, I feel he is a man who can appreciate the strong points of PES (in which there are many, regardless of how weak I feel the series has been in recent times) and he is able to enjoy PES for what it is. I'm also more or less in agreement with how he views football games from a philosophical standpoint. I certainly respect the majority of his opinions.

This is how I personally feel: Even though PES hasn't hit the same heights it did during the PS2 era, at its core, it's still a more enjoyable experience than FIFA. For all of their cockups, Konami has gotten a lot of the basic fundamentals down. Individuality, inertia, foot-planting, momentum, etc. Their approach is more conducive to an "organic" football experience than EA's offerings. This is why I made the switch in the early 2000s and it's why, despite PES not being where I feel it should be at this current time (optimistic that this will change with the release of 2014) I continue to play the series on a daily basis.

Last edited:
You use the PC-version, right? Have you modded it in some way beside the graphical modding?

And is it exhibition match or some competition-match?

I only changed the tactics

The other thing is you play with two pretty strong teams, most of the problems occur when playing with weak teams against strong ones.

So, I don't get cheating as much with playing similar matched teams. its usually when I play against a weaker team strange things happen.

And one last thing regarding possession-rates: You mentioned that you don't have a problem with possession rates because you set up the tactics right, different from the generic counter-tactics. But nonetheless as to be seen at the end of the video, the CPU-controlled team Manchester City has only 37% possession.

I know, I expected that, because of the tactics. If a team has high pressure and a slow buildup they will have more possession, City don't have high pressure, it's mid range and i didn't play well which gave them a lot of space to attack into. I'm playing as Arsenal, i wanted to keep the ball. Its a balance thing with PES 2013 with possession, not like the old days when the CPU just passed i around for the sake of passing it around.

One thing in klash vid is really apparent and I hope we will be able to change that in PES 2014. Left back taking corners or DC tacking corners is NO GOOD.

I want my midfielder/winger to take it. Thank you very much!

And that's the problem, you only like to talk with people that think like you.

Since PES 2008 came out there were people that criticized the game's faults and there were people that just ignored them and accepted them because there was some good behind it.

Guess what, it's because of those criticizing that forced Konami to change things, that combined with lessened sales.

Especially since PES 2010 Konami was on a good track, PES 2011 was a bold step into the right direction opening up the game with 360-degree passing.

But people criticized the attacking-AI not being able to move and offer options, stopping their runs way before the offside-danger, or the awful playerswitching or the catchup-bug.

Because of these critique Konami improved things for PES 2012, offering better playerswitching, an active AI... but again some things appeared that people criticized rightfully, the camping of the CPU-AI that created matches with no midfield-play, and played everyone onside all the time. or the god-modus-dribbling of the AI..

All the while you and Klashman were defending the game and only seeing the beauty behind it (which there was, but marred by a few things that spoiled the beauty), while belittling those criticizing it.

Guess again, because of the critique, things again changed for the better in PES 2013, now offering more midfield play and teams actually playing players offside, the god-modus-dribbling got severely toned down and most important it became possible to stick out a leg when we want it, to get to the ball, and no more of this dreadful stumbling-bug.

But like always despite the clear advancements there are still things to improve, although in many ways better than PES 2011-2012, PES 2013 still has problems with cheating, with teams being all set up very similar on standard, with limited AI... most of these problems being caused by an old engine being brought to its limits and because of laziness (generic tactical setup).

So as to refer back to the half-/full-glass-analogy: Imho it's best to see that the glass is half full and half empty at the same time.

We need to be able to see what good there is right now as well as see and criticize what is still wrong with the game so that things get improved. PES 2014 will use a whole new engine, so it will be a new league so to speak, but even then there will be things worthwhile to be criticized as there will be things worthwhile to be praised.

There are two pitfalls here: Those that completely condemn the PES game because of the faults that prevent them to see the beauty are in one, and then there are those that blindly praise the game year in and out, they are in the other.

There's nothing wrong with criticizing the game constructively so it can keep improving. It's just that you hardly hear any positives either.

Last edited:
I think the 'thing' with PES 2011 was how different it was to any other football game. It was nothing like PES on the PS2 or The three PES games before. Konami where taking PES forward in a new direction.

PES 2010 despite being broken and a PS2 game was refreshing because it was nice to get back to a game which had some variety, personality and individuality after being fed up with the genericness of FIFA. Graphics where great also.

It sure did. The MLO beta was really impressive but sadly the final game didn't feel quite as good.

I know I'm on my own here but I loved PES2010. I'm not sure exactly why but I had a lot of fun with that game, and that's why we game, right?

You're not. It's the one game I played the most this generation. Finished all modes even. Went and bought the Japanese blue samurai version even, which was even better. Have very fond memories of it. My best ML experience on this gen.

Like you said 2011's MLO was good, then retail didn't impress me much.

Master league on PES 13 is just sad. You can't switch teams or even retire. I prefer BAL cos I can move to any team I want and also retire when I get tired of my player. But in master league, I am already in the year 2040. Almost all the players in the game have "died" and "re spawned".I have been number 1 club for centuries and I am tired of playing. There seems to be no point in playing the game atall, I have unlocked every single achievement pertaining to ML. So, am I supposed to just exit the game and delete the save or what? It would av been nice to be able to retire.
PES2010 was like ma best game and it was fun. I could literary dribble round the pitch twice with the ball on messi's feet. But now, not even the mighty Ronaldo can do that Which is a good thing. Generally, I will rate pes13 8/10. The only thing I don't like about the game is the cheating AI(I never ever win air balls and deflections always seem to go to AI) and dribbling is extremely difficult when playing topplayer and +2 game speed.

You're not. It's the one game I played the most this generation. Finished all modes even. Went and bought the Japanese blue samurai version even, which was even better. Have very fond memories of it. My best ML experience on this gen.

Like you said 2011's MLO was good, then retail didn't impress me much.

PES 2010 had potential but wasn't quite there, PES 2011 was a huge step up for me and probably my favourite in the series behind PES5 and PES3. The variety in playing styles and dribbling has been unparrelled IMO, hence why so many of us fell in love with MLO. Only drawback was the complete absence of attacking movement from the AI.

PES 12 was mediocre. PES 13 was good but just lacked something I could never put my finger on.

@ 1:48 when Walcott made a u-turn with a tight turning radius under pressure, did you have to use the R-stick to shift your balance? Does R2 help in this case?

I turned left then back, just normally, i decided early to do this after striping as i knew i would of been tackled by the defender because Walcott dribbling and technique is crap, he's bets at running into open space, not taking players on, so i had to turn back and build again.

Bumping this thread, seems a few here have gone back to this game. Played it again today, restarted the game about 7 times, to get back used o it. It was kicking my ass. This game was better than i first thought. It simply does not take prisoners, you have to intensely focused and on it, articulating every tactical and ingame aspect every moment when playing 30 minutes on Top Player. If the opposition is kicking your ass, it's because your allowing them to.

Looking to expand my World Cup patch so people can play it through the ages and enjoy this game until pes on the next gen or PES 2015 or whatever does the same thing but with super animations and graphics, which i'm 100% it will do in time. I mean PES 2014 is almost there in training mode, just needs the dribbling sorted along with shooting then finally the animations being more fluid and free, some of them in PES 2014 just take a little to long to finish.

I turned left then back, just normally, i decided early to do this after striping as i knew i would of been tackled by the defender because Walcott dribbling and technique is crap, he's bets at running into open space, not taking players on, so i had to turn back and build again.

Bumping this thread, seems a few here have gone back to this game. Played it again today, restarted the game about 7 times, to get back used o it. It was kicking my ass. This game was better than i first thought. It simply does not take prisoners, you have to intensely focused and on it, articulating every tactical and ingame aspect every moment when playing 30 minutes on Top Player. If the opposition is kicking your ass, it's because your allowing them to.

Looking to expand my World Cup patch so people can play it through the ages and enjoy this game until pes on the next gen or PES 2015 or whatever does the same thing but with super animations and graphics, which i'm 100% it will do in time. I mean PES 2014 is almost there in training mode, just needs the dribbling sorted along with shooting then finally the animations being more fluid and free, some of them in PES 2014 just take a little to long to finish.

Mate, i would love to play your World Cup patch for 2013, would it be for PS3?????

:(

I think i can convert the OF for the PS3... I just hope i still have interest in 2013 after i get my PS4 and Fifa NG!

I went back to Pes 2013 the other day and quite enjoying it so far. Pes 2014 kind of helped me realise that Pes 2013 actually feels more like football with individuality and lots of variation in build-up play. I played some Fifa 14 too which also gave me perspective of how much deeper Pes 2013 is. I couldn't stand Fifa 14 as it was absolutely retarded.. Traded in the superficial crap.

I'm playing Pes 2013 on Ps3 and experimented with some camera settings which ultimately enhanced my experience. I put the camera on "pitch side" and changed the TV-monitor display to "wide zoom" which made the pitch side camera zoom up a bit so it now looks like Pes 2014 cam.

Would appreciate if someone could send a link with an up to date OF for Pes 2013 Ps3.

Cheers

Just remember why I can't love this game no matter how hard I tried. It's the error-free crossing on the final third. Doesn't matter if you're closed down by an opposition, you're on weaker foot, with zero momentum, you can still whip the ball into the six yard box with perfect elevation by just a single tap of crossing button.

I can clearly remember on the demo 1, there were still some degrees of error, which was completely eradicated later on the release code. Must be the casuals' feedbacks, no doubt about it.

Last edited:
Here is a test video i uploaded with my new laptop :)

20 minutes, Top Plyaer 1-Bar passing
YouTube - Croatia vs Turkey PES 2013

Old cliche 'I'm not playing my best'. Which is better to show how i would normally approach a match.

For all those who say PES 2013 defending is bad,broke, whatever, please watch to view how i defend. Pay attention to the player i select and see how positioning is everything and the most important factor in defending.

Finishes 1-1, Turkey equalize late thanks to some nervous bad defending from me and a outrageous shot!

Why not manual passing?

CPU has too much of an advantage on top player/superstar for full 0 bar no assists.

Balance is the key. 1 bar is perfect for playing the CPU on these levels.

i'll do a jimmy and play on professional with 0 bars and see how that goes. I see if i can do more videos until Wednesday when i go back to oz, then in oz if i settle down.

CPU has too much of an advantage on top player/superstar for full 0 bar no assists.

Balance is the key. 1 bar is perfect for playing the CPU on these levels.

i'll do a jimmy and play on professional with 0 bars and see how that goes. I see if i can do more videos until Wednesday when i go back to oz, then in oz if i settle down.

It's the perfect balance, Zero Assistance dictates the way you have to play, take a touch, body posture, angles, weight of pass. Yet still all stat specific. R2 and X gives you a more controlled pass with less zip but more accuracy for the lesser stat players. Judging the weight of a lofted through-ball is very difficult unless you have that Pirlo style player. And X works better than normal through-ball for the most part. So much error, if you're not abiding to real life technical astuteness.

Professional is the perfect compromise for Zero Assistance. I'm playing my ML now and loving it. You have to earn everything, and use your players accordingly. And mix up your tactics to counter act the way the CPU Ai does, especially when you go behind, or go in front.

R2 is everything again. I love this game on these settings, it's pure football. The game Ive known all my life. Sure I can niggle about the odd thing here and there, but overall, it gets so much right, and very little wrong.

People are missing a trick here with this game, it's amazing. And with the proper option files, I've got all the EPL and Championship Teams, kits, stadiums for every English teams, the lot.

Passing, once learnt on Zero, will change the way you play PES, no more 'Ping Pong' close your eyes and still make the perfect pass. Nothing close. Every touch, every pass, every player matters.

I love it, best PES by an absolute mile. And those who say PES 5, PES 6, do me a favour, those games are so technically far behind in football reproduction it's untrue. Jeez, they don't even have a first touch element, the most fundamental technique in football, for which everything follows.

Last edited:
Emnes gets a Hat-Trick, topped off by a beautiful free-kick. Why they removed the most diverse and skill based dead-ball system is beyond me. It was perfect, so many options, variables, control. Everything. And the young youth with great heading stats comes off the bench to score his first for the Boro to seal an emphatic win.

Goalkeepers not glued to their goal-line like PES 14, with nothing seeming predetermined shot wise. Unpredicitability, the soul of PES. Anything can happen. That's football. That's lost in PES 14 in my opinion, as is relevant technical reproduction of the Beautiful Game.

YouTube - Boro 4-0 Blackpool

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom