PES 2013 Discussion Thread

I started a ML with Madrid cause I wanted to see playerid. It is so great in this version. Ronaldo is so well done. Same with xabi alonso and Marcelo.
I had a blast. Tried one game with 1 bar, way to easy. On top player . Have a away CL match to Dortmund. Ronnie has three in four. All crackers. So fun.

A few months of PES2014 and next gen FIFA have made me realise just how great 2013 is. Started a new ML yesterday with the ML defaults and even though I am getting consistently beat while I try and mould my boys into a team I am loving every minute of it. The passing, shooting, dribbling, individuality and tactical game are all top notch.

The best thing about the game is how intuitive it is. After a couple of hours of re familiarising and some discovery... discovery in a game I played for a year, the depth of it!!! I am able to take exactly whats in my head and play it out on screen. There is something incredibly satisfying about seeing the exact animation and action I expect to happen, happen. This is something that is missing from PES2014 and I hope they get it back for this years game.

Last several posts are beyound my understanding.

They tempted me to install PES 2013 demo and to see what is it there with it currently, but.. uninstalled it after 5 minutes. Wooden players, sliding on the pitch, very strange ball physics and stone cold dead stadium atmosphere. Only thing I liked more is more serious and professional tactics screen.

Maybe on consoles its such a different matter, but on PC, with several small stat tweeks, with Heart off, even with all its shortcommings, PES 2014 is miles and years above its predecessor.

A few months of PES2014 and next gen FIFA have made me realise just how great 2013 is. Started a new ML yesterday with the ML defaults and even though I am getting consistently beat while I try and mould my boys into a team I am loving every minute of it. The passing, shooting, dribbling, individuality and tactical game are all top notch.

The best thing about the game is how intuitive it is. After a couple of hours of re familiarising and some discovery... discovery in a game I played for a year, the depth of it!!! I am able to take exactly whats in my head and play it out on screen. There is something incredibly satisfying about seeing the exact animation and action I expect to happen, happen. This is something that is missing from PES2014 and I hope they get it back for this years game.

Spot on.

I have no idea at all what people see in PES 14. It's a pathetic, unresponsive mess. In my humble opinion. PES 13 on Zero, Professional, -1 Gamespeed is the way forward.

Are you playing manual shooting too Jimmy?

Quite tempted to give this "oldie" a go.

No, I have it on normal shooting. Some people have a problem with the ease of the R2 shot, but I really don't see it much different from previous games. The difference this time, is that it is very hard to create that opening in the first place. The CPU Ai really do make you work for the opportunity.

There is no denying that the keeper positioning can be wrong at times, but, I'd take that all day long over the rigidness of the keeper positioning on PES 14. And the horrible blunders as well as the superhuman, catch everything perfectly from range bullshit.

And Zee, I disagree on the Zero v 1-Bar on PES 14, it's so much more free on PES 13, and I never, ever, play a pass I didn't intend. Also, the L2 Manual Pass with R2 aftertouch is lovely. And the error is excellent, over-hitting passes has never felt so good. It truly defines the perfect pass.

And R2 and R3 for turns and first-touches is exactly how it should be. R2, R2, R2. Beat that drum !!!

Last edited:
Last several posts are beyound my understanding.

They tempted me to install PES 2013 demo and to see what is it there with it currently, but.. uninstalled it after 5 minutes. Wooden players, sliding on the pitch, very strange ball physics and stone cold dead stadium atmosphere. Only thing I liked more is more serious and professional tactics screen.

Maybe on consoles its such a different matter, but on PC, with several small stat tweeks, with Heart off, even with all its shortcommings, PES 2014 is miles and years above its predecessor.

There is your problem my friend. PES 2013 is not a game you just jump into and wham bam it's great, takes time, also you really really need to pay attention to stats more than ever. What is beautiful about this game bit like 2012 is every single stat matters, there is no golden stats which mean more than others, everything matters.

On 1 bar if your not using a premium team, this is a tough game, when you start to get hold of the tactics and start setting your team up the way you need, also get a hold and understanding of how important the ball control, explosive power, dribbling stats are, how they work in conjunction with player foot frequency and tenacity which is so important, since a high tenacity player tends to be on form more often than not and when off form doesn't drop significantly.

These are vital for general movement, from stats 75-95 every time you go up 5 points, it reaches a milestone which allows the player to perform something which can't be done on a lower ability. Below 70 really isn't much different to 74, it just means regardless of form your player will never be able to consistently perform something which he could on 75, or 74 on red form. I think things like Pace for example and balance differ in being much more linear in their work, but 80 for explosive power is a key milestone.

80 for technique is huge, it's the difference between a player with a decent touch to a good touch, they turn more smoothly regardless of speed because of their awareness in ball control, one thing i always do as an Arsenal fan is lower Theo Walcotts technique and dribbling to 73, so he's super fast but you are forced to do in real life and play like he does, just sprint and run in straight lines because Theo has crap technique and can't dribble very well. This depth has been developed and improved year by year since PES 2010.

PES 2014 does have this but it's nowhere near as prominent since the game ain't ready yet.

I regarded PES 2013 as the best ever PES (on the pitch) when it came out and that certainly still holds true after the appalling PES2014.

But the big glaring issue of the exaggerated player development in Master League remains. How are you getting round this? I suppose manual passing might help make the game more difficult and therefore 106 rated players less super-powered. One-bar passing just makes things too easy eventually and non-dev ML is a bit dull.

Any thoughts?

I am worried by that. Football wise 2013 is the best football game I have played, it is stopped from being out of this world great because of the engine limitations. Football wise I have no idea what they were doing with 2014 but the engine does seem to have promise. Just take 2013 and move it into the new engine and bingo, in fact I thought this is what they said they were going to do?

Now we are being told it will be "totally changed"! This is what led to the PES dark ages starting with 2008 and ending with 2011. Every game was totally changed from the last and the series had no direction. It was not until they built upon the solid foundation of 2011 that PES started to improve and it ended up producing the best game of the generation in PES2013.

This new UK arm of PES is also worrying, especially if they are given a good deal of control and influence. In the run up to PES2014 I seem to remember Adam, who I believe is part of it, taking alot of credit for PES2014 and that turned out to be horrible.
The people that produced PES2011 - 2013 should be given the new engine, insulated from the internets, Konamis PR dept and their UK team and get to work.

I am worried by that. Football wise 2013 is the best football game I have played, it is stopped from being out of this world great because of the engine limitations. Football wise I have no idea what they were doing with 2014 but the engine does seem to have promise. Just take 2013 and move it into the new engine and bingo, in fact I thought this is what they said they were going to do?

Now we are being told it will be "totally changed"! This is what led to the PES dark ages starting with 2008 and ending with 2011. Every game was totally changed from the last and the series had no direction. It was not until they built upon the solid foundation of 2011 that PES started to improve and it ended up producing the best game of the generation in PES2013.

This new UK arm of PES is also worrying, especially if they are given a good deal of control and influence. In the run up to PES2014 I seem to remember Adam, who I believe is part of it, taking alot of credit for PES2014 and that turned out to be horrible.
The people that produced PES2011 - 2013 should be given the new engine, insulated from the internets, Konamis PR dept and their UK team and get to work.

Amen. Amen. Amen.

The player individuality and consequential team individuality is absolutely off the map. And so much more prominent than any other PES game I've ever played. And I've hammered them all bar PES 2008.

We played all-night last night for our weekly Lads Night, playing offline 2v2, 15 minute games, with a wide variation of teams. From the Brasilian League, to Gala v Fenerbache(sp) and even Boro v Leeds. The difference between every game, with the different teams was staggering. And we all agreed, that it was one of the best PES sessions we have ever had. Unbelievable matches, everything had to be earned on Zero Assistance passing, and the star players from each team, Luis Fabiano, Deco et al, just shone like the different level of players they are.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. What an amazing game of football this is on the right settings, which I'd call 'Simulation' settings.

Last edited:
Amen. Amen. Amen.

The player individuality and consequential team individuality is absolutely off the the map. And so much more prominent than any other PES game I've ever played. And I've hammered them all bar PES 2008.

We played all-night last night for our weekly Lads Night, playing offline 2v2, 15 minute games, with a wide variation of teams. From the Brasilian League, to Gala v Fenerbache(sp) and even Boro v Leeds. The difference between every game, with the different teams was staggering. And we all agreed, that it was one of the best PES sessions we have ever had. Unbelievable matches, everything had to be earned on Zero Assistance passing, and the star players from each team, Luis Fabiano, Deco et al, just shone like the different level of players they are.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. What an amazing game of football this is on the right settings, which I'd call 'Simulation' settings.

Sadly still not a complete package. Ugly robotic on rails image has a tendency to cause me vomit....In that respect 2014 ruined all PES games for me :(

Sadly still not a complete package. Ugly robotic on rails image has a tendency to cause me vomit....In that respect 2014 ruined all PES games for me :(

Of course it's nice to have lovely animations, but at the expense of repsonsiveness ? I don't think so. Football is an instinctive game, it has natural feel, it flows like water, and therefore has to replicated in the same manner.

I'm only too happy to concede, that PES 13 isn't as pretty on the eye as PES 2014, but it's what happens on the park that matters, and PES 13 gets so much more right, than PES 14 could ever hope to begin to achieve. So much so, they shouldn't even be uttered in the same breath. Just my 2 cents.

The best football game ever made, easily.

And I have no idea by what you mean by 'on rails', that disappeared with PES 11.

Last edited:
Agreed Jimmy, it can be a brilliant game at times, but I tried playing 2013 again and a major part of the game just frustrated the hell out of me.

The long passing, it's awful. Filling the power bar half way produces a pathetic 20 yard dink that is pretty much of no use because a fully powered chip through ball produces a more effective pass, and if you power it up to around 75% then you pretty much overhit it by miles. There's pretty much no middle ground to play the pass you intend.

This destroys a lot of the immersion for me because it destroys certain passing opportunities, it makes you consciously think about the play more and this results in worse performance and annoyance. For example, I'll have the ball with my right-back and try to switch the play to my left-back or left centre-back and there's no way to consistently play these passes properly, so I have to play it along the ground every time.

Same thing happens further up the pitch, you simply can't play those Beckham-esque long passes (regardless of player stats) - I'll see the opportunity for one of these passes, and either go for it (inevitably failing) or remember it's not possible and have to immediately consciously think about what to do, and this normally results in me losing the ball or any momentum in the attack.

In PES 2011 the long passing was very good, towards the end of my time with it I could pretty much drop the manual long passes on a sixpence with the right players.

Last edited by a moderator:
If only you had PES 2013 on PC, you could install thr nesa gameplaY patch and all the problems of pes 2013 are corrected. IT'S TRULY the best game of football ever.

Of course it's nice to have lovely animations, but at the expense of repsonsiveness ? I don't think so. Football is an instinctive game, it has natural feel, it flows like water, and therefore has to replicated in the same manner.

I'm only too happy to concede, that PES 13 isn't as pretty on the eye as PES 2014, but it's what happens on the park that matters, and PES 13 gets so much more right, than PES 14 could ever hope to begin to achieve. So much so, they shouldn't even be uttered in the same breath. Just my 2 cents.

The best football game ever made, easily.

And I have no idea by what you mean by 'on rails', that disappeared with PES 11.

How come then when sometimes you want to bring your defender across to stop an attacker, no matter how far to the right or left depending you move the stick, it appears there is an invisible wall to block him and he can't get near the player.

How come then when sometimes you want to bring your defender across to stop an attacker, no matter how far to the right or left depending you move the stick, it appears there is an invisible wall to block him and he can't get near the player.

That is purely down to either a cheap tactic from the CPU Ai on a higher difficulty level, or, seemingly blatant scripting that kicks in to play to emphasise the individuality of the stats of the players.

As an example, the CPU Ai, may allow a pass to pass straight through your defenders legs, or slightly wrong-foot your defender to ensure the pass is completed. The individuality is so high on this game, this was the way they have gone to ensure the stats are adhered to. Like I say, it can look blatant at times, and PES 14 actually is a lot less blatant in this regard, but then again, the stats are no where near as prominent.

It's a means to an end, nothing more, nothing less. But this happens in real-life, if a defender was never wrong-footed, or megged, or mis-judged the flight of the ball, we'd never see a chance crafted at all. It is what it is, and I have no problem with it. Its the same reason the likes of Ronaldo seem to come away with the ball from every 50/50 challenge. Or even lesser odds.

No defender in real-life deliberately let's the likes of Messi and Ronny past them on purpose. They are just helpless. And the same relates here.

That also applies to the likes of Gerrard winning most tackles, or getting the luck of the green and bounce with loose balls. It's what Gerrard does in real-life, and although it seems 'scripted', it is a means to an end. It's all about the stats for the most part, or the CPU Ai taking liberties on the higher difficulty levels.

That's why Zero Assistance passing and Professional difficulty is such a perfect marriage if you're looking for a simulation type affair.

Last edited:
Nice passes there Jimmy - I'm not sure about aftertouch and it's not mentioned in any in-game tutorials. I know you can hold R2 to put more elevation on the ball... I've seen Placebo mention there's aftertouch in FIFA as well and I'm quite doubtful about both to be honest and I've tested both games in the training modes.
I'm not calling you a liar, PES is all about "feeling" the controls so maybe I'm just doing something wrong with the power and/or trying to use aftertouch.

Now and again I can pull off similar passes to the first two videos there, but it's so rare and inconsistent that it changes my mindset on how to play the game, and I end up just wanting to keep possession and build the attack on the ground. The chipped through balls are very intuitive and controllable though.

It feels great when you pull off one of those perfectly weighted through balls. Goals that would be simple run-of-the-mill goals in other games or with assistance are magical in this one on zero... Picking the ball up 40 yards out with your playmaker, beating a man and unlocking the defence with "that pass" is challenging and feels quite realistic.

I would pick the game up on PC and try some of those gameplay fixes but the game seems to have been taken off of Steam, and playing on the 360 is now painful to my eyes so I'll probably not play PES 2013 much from now on, hopefully Konami can deliver a quality version sooner rather than later.

i played two games of PES 13 this weekend, i had a blast. Granted I was real madrid in a masters league... seems this version is so much more fun with top rated players....

i played two games of PES 13 this weekend, i had a blast. Granted I was real madrid in a masters league... seems this version is so much more fun with top rated players....

Does the CPU still spam the through ball or have you found a fix for that after all these months? I would go back to pes 13 if this issue was fixed.

Here's almost a full game between Me Southampton and the Scum, Spurs.

The highlights are at the end. I love my equalizer at 24:04 minutes. Its an example of why this game is so dam good, you can take a risk, try something different or just try something and you always have a chance of getting a goal. You are free to score from fucking anywhere at any time! No other game does this at this level at all. Nowhere near.

Was a really good cross from Fox, Chirices just misjudges (not the best defender :) ) it straight battle between Lambert and the Keeper and i won, just about! A proper 'Football' which sums up this game. Pure football, other games just do not do this and aren't capable, only PES 2011-13 you see this sort of stuff!

Here is a better way to see how the tactics work over a 15 minute game and howto make sure your auto offside trap complements your given tactics, it wasn't working and Spurs where getting too much joy from my poor offside trap since my team was set to defend deep, i took it off which was the key tactical change which lead it to swing my way!

YouTube - PES 2013 Tottenham Hotspur vs Southampton

Ricky Lambert scores a hat trick, in Ricky Lambert style. No scripted easy finishes fro the same angle, no, old fashioned English Striker, using his power to get on the end of everything in the box.

Here's almost a full game between Me Southampton and the Scum, Spurs.

The highlights are at the end. I love my equalizer at 24:04 minutes. Its an example of why this game is so dam good, you can take a risk, try something different or just try something and you always have a chance of getting a goal. You are free to score from fucking anywhere at any time! No other game does this at this level at all. Nowhere near.

Was a really good cross from Fox, Chirices just misjudges (not the best defender :) ) it straight battle between Lambert and the Keeper and i won, just about! A proper 'Football' which sums up this game. Pure football, other games just do not do this and aren't capable, only PES 2011-13 you see this sort of stuff!

Here is a better way to see how the tactics work over a 15 minute game and howto make sure your auto offside trap complements your given tactics, it wasn't working and Spurs where getting too much joy from my poor offside trap since my team was set to defend deep, i took it off which was the key tactical change which lead it to swing my way!

YouTube - PES 2013 Tottenham Hotspur vs Southampton

Ricky Lambert scores a hat trick, in Ricky Lambert style. No scripted easy finishes fro the same angle, no, old fashioned English Striker, using his power to get on the end of everything in the box.

Nice. This is just one game and on example though. Curios to know how many other games you get like this and what settings and patch you are using.

Back
Top Bottom