PES 2011 Demo impressions

this is going to take some getting used to

i am used to playing fifa for the last 3 years.

how do you change the button settings on this - i want to change the assisted settings but i can't find the option?

cheers

go to system settings,button config then select config 2,go to select sides press square and pick either assisted ,semi or manual player switching

I have just hit the bar from 30 yards with a scissors kick. Yes, crazy innit!
YouTube - PES Madness 2 Scissors kick from 30 yards! PES 2011

But even that didn't stop the match i played on -2 speed being, well beautiful tbh. Absolutely incredible!

This game just looks stunning and feels like football totally (that's when playing with Barca and Bayern when it needs to be slowed a tad :) )

ATM PES 2011 is a brilliant game with a touch of madness every now and then

Last edited:
i love this game. PES is back for sure. their are some little niggles here and their but overal it feels like football compared to fifa 10.

in PES you could play proper football ie holding possesion, keep ball etc but in fifa 10 most goals are scored by a few passes on the floor and hen a killer through ball into your striker and goal.

this is why i sometimes have more than 5 defenders in fifa because the defense AI is shocking in that game, PES defence AI is sooo much better and the tactics and formation screens pisses and stamps all over fifa's

i just can't get used to the ps3 controller.

i am used to playing with the xbox 360 pad.

what does everyone use, the stick or d pad?

I'm an Xbox convert and still prefer that controller as well, but I'm forcing myself to adapt to the PS3 analog stick for more accurate passing and dribbling. Only use the d-pad for free kicks and penalties.

Skills. One of the things that really narks me about PES10 and it looks like 11 too, is the little stutter before the player strikes the ball. In the clip above it's between 16 - 18 seconds. It's very short, but a definite pause before the final strike movement. Simple things, eh?

Game does look really good, though. Found this while surfing the Tube of You, earlier :

YouTube - PES 2011 DEMO - AMAZING BICYCLE GOAL

:COOL:

Again an amazing but VERY unrealistic goal.

i just can't get used to the ps3 controller.

i am used to playing with the xbox 360 pad.

what does everyone use, the stick or d pad?

Neither could I, so I bought a Xbox 360 style PS3 pad, and I love it.

41BVJEkHmBL._SL250_.jpg

I ordered it from the States Dave, but I'm sure you can get them in this country online. The L2 and R2 buttons are much better in my opinion, more like triggers, although not exactly. I couldnt live without for PS3 analogue games, which are the only games I play UFC and now PES.

Guys I have 2 minor questions:
1. Can the radar be turned off ?
2. I'm not sure if I understood well from what I've read in this thread, so here's what i wonder:
manual pass is L2 + pass button, but is there any preset with all the passes manual, so you don't have to press L2 anymore ?
Thanks

To the numerous guys who are saying you cannot make a player run...

You can, it's been in every PES, but it's a little different to how FIFA does it - in FIFA you can trigger any player near you to make the run, but in PES you have to plan ahead as the person who makes the run is the PASSER.

On the default PES controls, when you make a pass you trigger the run by pressing/holding :l1: (you can either do it just after you've passed or while you are passing) then that will trigger the passing player to make the run. It's great for pushing players up the pitch into space to provide passing options and for quick 1-2 passing situations.

To the numerous guys who are saying you cannot make a player run...

You can, it's been in every PES, but it's a little different to how FIFA does it - in FIFA you can trigger any player near you to make the run, but in PES you have to plan ahead as the person who makes the run is the PASSER.

On the default PES controls, when you make a pass you trigger the run by pressing/holding :l1: (you can either do it just after you've passed or while you are passing) then that will trigger the passing player to make the run. It's great for pushing players up the pitch into space to provide passing options and for quick 1-2 passing situations.

That's nice, didn't know that, but it's not the solution for the missing runs a lot of people are seeking. The runs shouldn't be made by the passer, it should be completely off-ball to overrun the defense.

Can someone confirm that in the demo there are player-cards and that setting them on "Attack" as well as upping the player-support-slider completely solves the problem?

That's nice, didn't know that, but it's not the solution for the missing runs a lot of people are seeking. The runs shouldn't be made by the passer, it should be completely off-ball to overrun the defense.

Can someone confirm that in the demo there are player-cards and that setting them on "Attack" as well as upping the player-support-slider completely solves the problem?

You can do this with the strategies in gameplan, you can set player support, offensive mindedness etc. This is without even touching individual player cards.

You can also change effectiveness in-game on the fly. Pressing select+:r1: increases the attack mindedness, select+:r2: decreases attack mindedness of your players (you'll notice a bar going up and down in the bottom corner of the screen). This pushes your players up for support or pulls them back to lock down your defence. You can also set select and any one of :x:, :triangle:, :circle: and :square: to counter attack/all out attack etc in the strategies menu - this changes the shape of your team on the fly.

Also, on the Management Edit screen (I think that's what it's called - don't have the game with me) you can pre-determine how your team moves throughout the course of the match as the time ticks on i.e. you can set your CB to overlap for the first 30mins of the match, play possession or turn this off completely for say 15mins of the match . Whether you're winning, tied or losing, you can set your mentality prior to starting the match.

Plenty of options there mate, have a play around with them.

Right i've had a day to mull over my thoughts on the demo. I played around 6, maybe 7 games last night, which is an achievement in itself given i could only stomach 1 or 2 consecutive games of PES10. Besides, it was late and me needing to go to sleep was the only reason i turned it off.

Before i give a review it's best to give you a bit of background. I was given a taste of PES (or ISS as it was) probably around 10 or 11 years ago on the PS1. I was blown away by how simple yet satisfying it was compared to Fifa. I stuck with Konami all the way through the progression from ISS to PES right up until PES10, despite last enjoying the game in PES6.

I crossed over to the dark side of Fifa when they released Fifa09, and i was reeled in by the very enjoyable demo. Being honest, i really enjoyed Fifa09, while i didn't really enjoy PES09. This lead to me buying Fifa10, which i pretty much hated, due to the broken MM, and the Ice Hockey like physics of the game - high speed, high aggression etc.

So i bought PES10 on the PC and enjoyed some fantastic mods, and at times, i enjoyed playing the game. After a while it became stale so i decided to buy the Fifa WC game to play only on manual. I enjoyed that for a while, but EA seemed to be going down an even faster and more aggressive route which totally ruins the experience. Besdies, with the last few Fifa's the player movement has become very predictable, and whilst it was fun, it never really convinced me it was a football sim, which is what i've been longing for...

Anyway, enough of the back story, here's my impressions on PES11 Demo.

Graphics

Stunning, in one word. Lighting is near perfect, shadows are great, textures are great, replays are amazing. I love the motion blur, although i have read that a few people hate it. Personal taste i guess.

Passing

Best bit of the game imo. Not really like manual on Fifa, and it is still possible to play ping pong football (granted, it is harder), but against the AI, if you decide to play that way, you obviously have no issue with it. Online it could be a problem but there are exploits and game ruiners in most games.

Short passing is great, as is the manual pass modifier. Long passing feels great, and play switching is brilliant. Through balls have been great for me, when using x. When i use triangle, i struggled.

I've noticed a few complaints about player movement, but for me it's been fine. Players react to through balls, even if they look dis-interested in making the run. I'd hate to have an L1 style forward run option like Fifa. Unrealistic imo.

Shooting

Controlled finishes feel nice. General shooting is more difficult especially when off balance as the ball feels lighter. It'll take some getting used to, but it seems to travel less straight and bullet like which is a good thing.

Goalkeepers

There had to be a negative, and here it is. They're an improvement on PES10, but that doesn't say much. The animations at times are frankly, terrible. Keepers shouldn't land on their front everytime they dive. It's odd, and ruins the feeling of scoring sometimes. They're less error prone, butit was the animations that bothered me and they haven't really been fixed.

Defending

Seems ok. That's all i can say at the minute. I'm keeping the ball well enough to not be attacked all that often. Seen no craziness so far, although i'm yet to feel fully in control of what i am doing

Everything else

Computer AI is good. Defensively they made errors at times, but attacking wise they offered variety. Through balls, long balls, crossing, good movement. Big step up from 10.

At times i noticed the computer automatically taking over my defender to clear the ball, which is annoying.

I noticed that -1 is the perfect match speed for me. Either way, there is something for everyone.

Some link up animations are still missing but all in all, it's much better than 10.

Player individuality kicks ass. Robben runs with the ball like Robben. Xavi and Iniesta turn sharply to keep the ball. Busquest kept playing easy and quick passes. Messi runs at you. It's all there and it's brilliant.

Final Score

9/10. I'd have given it a ten if the keeper animations were fixed. Oh and them darn nets. :SMUG:

Quality game. Hats off to Seabass and co.

Right i've had a day to mull over my thoughts on the demo. I played around 6, maybe 7 games last night, which is an achievement in itself given i could only stomach 1 or 2 consecutive games of PES10. Besides, it was late and me needing to go to sleep was the only reason i turned it off.

Before i give a review it's best to give you a bit of background. I was given a taste of PES (or ISS as it was) probably around 10 or 11 years ago on the PS1. I was blown away by how simple yet satisfying it was compared to Fifa. I stuck with Konami all the way through the progression from ISS to PES right up until PES10, despite last enjoying the game in PES6.

I crossed over to the dark side of Fifa when they released Fifa09, and i was reeled in by the very enjoyable demo. Being honest, i really enjoyed Fifa09, while i didn't really enjoy PES09. This lead to me buying Fifa10, which i pretty much hated, due to the broken MM, and the Ice Hockey like physics of the game - high speed, high aggression etc.

So i bought PES10 on the PC and enjoyed some fantastic mods, and at times, i enjoyed playing the game. After a while it became stale so i decided to buy the Fifa WC game to play only on manual. I enjoyed that for a while, but EA seemed to be going down an even faster and more aggressive route which totally ruins the experience. Besdies, with the last few Fifa's the player movement has become very predictable, and whilst it was fun, it never really convinced me it was a football sim, which is what i've been longing for...

Anyway, enough of the back story, here's my impressions on PES11 Demo.

Graphics

Stunning, in one word. Lighting is near perfect, shadows are great, textures are great, replays are amazing. I love the motion blur, although i have read that a few people hate it. Personal taste i guess.

Passing

Best bit of the game imo. Not really like manual on Fifa, and it is still possible to play ping pong football (granted, it is harder), but against the AI, if you decide to play that way, you obviously have no issue with it. Online it could be a problem but there are exploits and game ruiners in most games.

Short passing is great, as is the manual pass modifier. Long passing feels great, and play switching is brilliant. Through balls have been great for me, when using x. When i use triangle, i struggled.

I've noticed a few complaints about player movement, but for me it's been fine. Players react to through balls, even if they look dis-interested in making the run. I'd hate to have an L1 style forward run option like Fifa. Unrealistic imo.

Shooting

Controlled finishes feel nice. General shooting is more difficult especially when off balance as the ball feels lighter. It'll take some getting used to, but it seems to travel less straight and bullet like which is a good thing.

Goalkeepers

There had to be a negative, and here it is. They're an improvement on PES10, but that doesn't say much. The animations at times are frankly, terrible. Keepers shouldn't land on their front everytime they dive. It's odd, and ruins the feeling of scoring sometimes. They're less error prone, butit was the animations that bothered me and they haven't really been fixed.

Defending

Seems ok. That's all i can say at the minute. I'm keeping the ball well enough to not be attacked all that often. Seen no craziness so far, although i'm yet to feel fully in control of what i am doing

Everything else

Computer AI is good. Defensively they made errors at times, but attacking wise they offered variety. Through balls, long balls, crossing, good movement. Big step up from 10.

At times i noticed the computer automatically taking over my defender to clear the ball, which is annoying.

I noticed that -1 is the perfect match speed for me. Either way, there is something for everyone.

Some link up animations are still missing but all in all, it's much better than 10.

Player individuality kicks ass. Robben runs with the ball like Robben. Xavi and Iniesta turn sharply to keep the ball. Busquest kept playing easy and quick passes. Messi runs at you. It's all there and it's brilliant.

Final Score

9/10. I'd have given it a ten if the keeper animations were fixed. Oh and them darn nets. :SMUG:

Quality game. Hats off to Seabass and co.

Great stuff, now stop playing with Barca you Messi whore. :LOL:

Copa is where this game is at for me. :)

Weatherley,

The triggers are better than the PS3 ones forsure. But you can buy these for a £3 also.

319c8AatiSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Great stuff, now stop playing with Barca you Messi whore. :LOL:

Copa is where this game is at for me. :)

Weatherley,

The triggers are better than the PS3 ones forsure. But you can buy these for a £3 also.

319c8AatiSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Haha. My first game was Internacional vs Chivas. D'Alessandro's face is bob on. I was shocked. I'll play some Libatadores tonight and tomorrow. :P

My Impressions

Was a long time PES player but bought Fifa08 and from then on only Fifa (having tried and hated PES09 and '10 demos)

GRAPHICS
Pros:
-Lighting is great
-Faces are decent
-Player models are good
-Replays look almost real at times

Cons:
-Very zagged edges. In need of some anti aliasing
-Goalnets aren't good at all (this could go under animations) Almost takes away some of the satisfaction of scoring

INTERFACE
Pros:
-Very customisable
-Aesthetically pleasing
-Simple yet deep
-Puts Fifa to absolute shame

Cons:
-Player attributes are hidden. I miss how they used to do it with the player attributes in the centre of the screen. Now, like fifa, you have to select the player and press :square:
- Ingame camera options are shit (too close and overhead) and with only 2 to choose from this marks the biggest disappointment for me. I pray that this is just a demo restriction.

ANIMATIONS
Pros:
- Alot more fluid than recent PES'
- Diagonal chipped pass looks spot on, as do some others such as chesting
-Jockey animation looks better than on Fifa

Cons:
-Players can look as tho they're about to fall over when running, almost like they've got hunchbacks.
-jogging backwards can look funny (as tho the player is taking the piss out of the mentally handicapped). Next time the opposition keeper has the ball run backwards towards the halfway line with your forward and you'll see what I mean lol
-Keepers acting like seals when diving

GAMEPLAY:
Pros:
-General speed of the game is great (-1 or -2). 2p or online should be alot of fun for those of us who like a tactical game (most PES fans I would bet)
-Passing feels good. Enjoying the manual pass button
-Shooting at times can look and feel perfect
-The game encourages you to pass the ball around moreso and use the midfield.
-Dribbling with the slow dribble button

Cons:
-At times players can temporarily go blind and run past the ball when it's only 1 yard away. A couple of times I've had it occur where 2 or 3 of them do it at the same time and it looks comedic (in a bad way).
-In general shooting isn't that great. Specifically the complete lack of power. The ball just floats towards the goal. Probably the most disappointing aspect for me, other than the camera options.
-Keepers are quite poor at times
-Player positioning at times isn't good at all. Right backs popping up on the leftback position. Centre backs on the wing.
-Passing momentum seems slightly off. For example passing into space the ball tends to slow down as tho its suddenly gone through a puddle.
-Ref is a picky bastard on fouls. Sometimes they just simply aren't fouls, other times there should be advantage.

SOUND:
Pros:
-The ball FX sound nice.

Cons:
-Crowd chants are just plain bad lol
-Refs whistle is LOUD!

I have a lot of cons there but I still give the game 8/10. With some or all of the above fixed it'd get 9/10 or a 92% score.

I will be buying PES for the first time in nearly 3 years. It depends on whether they add more camera angles or camera customisation as to whether I get it for both PC and 360 or just PC. At present the camera options (or lack thereof) is a dealbreaker for me on consoles.

Last edited:
That's not even close man. It's like me getting a vid of of Henry's flick goal vs United and comparing it to a an overhead volley in FIFA 10 from 40 yards.

Bullshit goals are bullshit goals.

I was the first person to say that I thought there was way too much of that Scissor Kick animation in the MLO beta. I said I didnt like the frequency then, and although its been dumbed down in the latest demo, I still want less. You very rarely hit the target with this type of strike on the game, most of the time it ends up in Row Z.

It doesnt help that alot of people are playing with Barca, who have arguably 5 of the top 10 most technically gifted players on the planet in their starting line-up. The shot technique of these players is off the charts, and consequently, you see alot of spectacular strikes. For the record, I dont see anywhere near the same type of technical prowess with International or Chivas.

Also, they attempt alot of this strike if people press the shot button too early whilst the ball is high in the air, it's the only animation for choosing to strike the ball this high. Be patient, let the ball drop to thigh height and you will see a wider range of standard volleys. In saying that, for my liking, I'm still seeing more of these type of shots than I'd like even at a slightly lower level.

And tell Hugo, or any Mexican or Madrid fan of the 80's that those goals were bullshit.

Weatherley,

There will be at least 8 camera's to choose from, including two new Broadcasting camera's. These were what I used last year, the game will look gorgeous in those views.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority but I never understood the dislike for the DS3 triggers. The only reason I can think of is that these people only use their index fingers for the shoulder buttons and the 360's triggers are therefore more comfortable for them? My fingers never slip off because I have my index fingers anchored on L1 and R1.

I much prefer the PS3 triggers to the 360 ones, particularly for situations where it needs to be used as a button rather than a trigger. I also prefer the balance of having both sticks in the middle fwiw. I have a 360 pad for my PC and just can't get on with the triggers or the sticks. I do like the more ergonomic shape of the pad though.

Anyway. Feast:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/sep/10/the-joy-of-six-overhead-scissor-kicks

Last edited:
Full Match, Bayern Vs Barca - Top player

I know it's not very popular right now but passing doesn't look good imho.

First of all it looks really easy and even player like Badstuber and van Buyten can perform fast, quick passes right in the feet of there teammates. In this video we really see some kind of pingpong passing and even fast backheel passing over 15 meters.

And second and that is really irritating, somehow it seems there is some magical help that turns a bad pass into a good one. Sometimes the ball just slows down only to make it a god pass and sometimes it seems a defender "sleeps" just to let a fantastic looking pass happen.

I'm not sure. Maybe i am wrong and maybe it just look like this in some videos but something doesn't look right.

Back
Top Bottom