PES 2011 Demo impressions

Also need to sort my pad out, not sure what I was doing but I ended up doing so many tricks in one run I looked like Ronaldo on smack... :P

Nick, coming from FIFA for the past 3 years I had to switch some of the buttons. I find switching the "dash" button for the "special controls" button, then the "special controls" button for "Manual Pass". I find it plays more intuatively like that for us folks coming back from FIFA

I offer my rebuttal good sir:

3.) No CPU cheats?! Are you kidding me? In FifaWC the AI never made mistakes because it read the players input, not to mention that momentum only seemed to affect the player.

Thanks for your view

About CPU cheats : I have this experiment on PES 2011 demo to discover how this game deal with open spaces and counter attacks :

1- I tweaked time to 90 min
2- I changed opponent's formation (Bayern) to be super offensive(2-3-5 no CB's no DM's)
3- I used three of opponent's players to get RED cards

So the SUPER offensive opponent (Bayern) had 7 players with no CB's against 10 players of me (Barsa) with 80 mints of time

What happened was :

1- Just before I will pass to Villa who has open space he goes backward like a crazy lad.

2- After I press the passing button my player take a lot of time before execution until striker get into offside position.

3- Henry who has open space with no marker leaves his great position and get closer to opponent's defender like he is marking him .

4- Goalkeeper can menage most of (three on one) situations.

5- Top strikers like Villa, Messi, Ibra and Henry waste a lot of easy one on one's.

6- Often if I get (three on one situation) my other 2 other strikers stop running and just watch the battle between me and the goalkeeper alone.

Conclusion :

CPU try to minimize goal scoring
CPU try to minimize creating opportunity's
Poor AI

People moaning about player switching, then just change it. There are three switching options, including a full manual switching option.

Just select 'choose sides' and then press square to change switching options.

You obviously have no idea of what you're talking about.

Try to play a match in Unassisted and you'll even struggle to switch to the player who's receiving a pass. Pathetic.

You obviously have no idea of what you're talking about.

Try to play a match in Unassisted and you'll even struggle to switch to the player who's receiving a pass. Pathetic.

guess what?
Unassisted is fixed, it allows you to play with just one player
look at the help section pressing select

People moaning about player switching, then just change it. There are three switching options, including a full manual switching option.

Just select 'choose sides' and then press square to change switching options.

We are not moaning about frequency of switching, we are complaining about WHO the system switches to when the button is pressed.

For Example:

I am RB tracking back covering the opponent's stronger side. He cuts in (as expected) and delivers a lobbed pass with his weaker foot. The ball goes over the head of CB2 and lands behind CB1, who is about 1 yard in front of it.

I press the switch button.

Instead of switching me to CB1 who has the best chance of getting the ball (or making a tackle) I am switched to CB2 who has no chance of getting there in time.

To compound matters, CB1 (who is under AI control) makes no attempt whatsoever to close down the ball. I still have a split second before their CF gets his first touch so I press L1 again hoping that it would correctly choose CB1. It instead reverts me back to the RB, who is still on the flank. Easy tap in goal.

The switching system is a disaster. Hopefully the illustration helps convey our frustrations :RANT:

It is even worse in an opposition counter attack, and the game forces you to control a player who's trailing the counter.

guess what?
Unassisted is fixed, it allows you to play with just one player
look at the help section pressing select

What game are you playing?

This is PES2011 PC demo:
65555501.png

Last edited:
I used to have alot of problems with the player switching, I even made a post saying that it may ruin the game for me. It's all about timing guys, I get the player I want nearly all the time now and when thats not the case I can see that I'm usually at fault. There are just plain stupid switches at times though.

I'm a huge fan of Konami football games. Since ISS for SNES, passing trough Goal Storm 97, Winning Eleven and finally, Pro Evolution Soccer.

But Konami made me to buy a Xbox 360 only for play FIFA10. Really, my Xbox 360 it's only to play FIFA. PES10 was a worst football game ever made, just terrible... Unplayable.

PES2011 DEMO is a good game, with awesome improvements, but still looks old-gen game. The player's animation is just OK. In certain moments the players just don't do anything, even if you press 1000 times any button. They still there, like we don't press anything.

The game build is too fast, even in 0 speed. It's just pass and run all the time.

-2 speed?

The goalkeepers are a disgrace of the game, again. No much comments for this part of the game. They simply don't have mobility and no technique, either. Just terrible, absolutely terrible.

Their animaions could be much better but they are fine i'd say. Don't see how they are different to any other football game?

And with that comes one of the major problem in the game. Most goals come from bizarre failures of the goalkeeper. Unexplained failures, even the lowest level of goalkeepers aren't capable to do things like they made in the game.

Nope, disagree, had some keeper errors but goals just vary!

Another serious problem is the CPU's pressing. It's just annoying the way they run all the time behind you, even attackers. Simply run the whole time, are extremely agressive, don't stop for a second. This is totally unreal and makes the game very annoying.

Wait, please don't tell me your moaning about the CPU pressing! This is just moaning now, they aren't agrresive at all, just sqeeze the amount of space you have to play!

I know, it's difficult to accept this in forum of Winning Eleven. I always loved soccer games from Konami. Konami always made good (really good) simulation football games, but today, since PES08, that's not a true...

See a game in FIFA is like watching a real game on TV and the most people agree with that.

In PES is like a american football. Not much on PES2011, but it still is.

But OK, I respect.

Haha, maybe in fast forward.

Rob and a lot of others have already posted their opinions as to why they think Fifa isn't a simulation. It must get tiring typing the same things over and over again.

We are not moaning about frequency of switching, we are complaining about WHO the system switches to when the button is pressed.

For Example:

I am RB tracking back covering the opponent's stronger side. He cuts in (as expected) and delivers a lobbed pass with his weaker foot. The ball goes over the head of CB2 and lands behind CB1, who is about 1 yard in front of it.

I press the switch button.

Instead of switching me to CB1 who has the best chance of getting the ball (or making a tackle) I am switched to CB2 who has no chance of getting there in time.

To compound matters, CB1 (who is under AI control) makes no attempt whatsoever to close down the ball. I still have a split second before their CF gets his first touch so I press L1 again hoping that it would correctly choose CB1. It instead reverts me back to the RB, who is still on the flank. Easy tap in goal.

The switching system is a disaster. Hopefully the illustration helps convey our frustrations :RANT:

Good explanation and good example of this serious problem.

I've not played PES for about 3 years, and have been playing FIFA instead, so have gotten used to FIFA and forgotten quite a lot about how PES plays.

But now trying PES11 (which is quite a good game), the player switching is awful. FIFA is not perfect, but is much, much better at player switching. In PES, it is wrong nearly 100% of the time. It hit me immediately how poor it is.

FIFA has normal button-click player switching, but also a manual override using RAS, which you aim in the direction of player you wish to switch to. It works great most of the time. PES needs this....badly.

Is there manual shooting in PES11? I ask because obviously there is now full manual passing using LT, and it works great, and is very good to be able to use it some of the time, but also normal passing at other times, all during the same match.

Then I shoot and the game decides to make it go wherever it wants. I'm talking about situations where I have good time and space to place a shot, I aim left but it heads off right and past the post. Looks and feels ridiculous at times. Completely scripted and such a contrast to the pleasant manual passing.

Is there manual shooting in PES11? I ask because obviously there is now full manual passing using LT, and it works great, and is very good to be able to use it some of the time, but also normal passing at other times, all during the same match.

Then I shoot and the game decides to make it go wherever it wants. I'm talking about situations where I have good time and space to place a shot, I aim left but it heads off right and past the post. Looks and feels ridiculous at times. Completely scripted and such a contrast to the pleasant manual passing.
It's not manual "shooting" as such, but I have scored a few one-on-ones with manual passes by sliding the ball past the keeper.

I havn't tried using the manual lobbed pass yet, but the normal one works well as a shot, when fully charged they can trouble the keeper from near the edge of the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone is entitled for an opinion, but having been a fan of PES/ISS since ISS 98 back in the day, I have to say that after battering the demo for a few days now, this has got to be one of the best installments yet (obviously judging purely from the gameplay in the demo). I hated PES 2008, and havent really played much of 2009 and 2010, where I switched to FIFA instead. I quite liked FIFA 2009, but FIFA 10 bored me easily, and it seems like FIFA 11 is basically the same thing with a few minor details added gameplaywise.

I think PES 2011 is a slick rick, with a few minor things here and there, but overall, the flow and the realism of the game compared to FIFA 11 is just ridiculous. FIFA 11 plays like a damn machine, whilst PES feels organic.

Everyone is entitled for an opinion, but having been a fan of PES/ISS since ISS 98 back in the day, I have to say that after battering the demo for a few days now, this has got to be one of the best installments yet (obviously judging purely from the gameplay in the demo). I think it is a slick rick, with a few minor things here and there, but overall, the flow and the realism of the game compared to FIFA 11 is just ridiculous. FIFA 11 plays like a damn machine, whilst PES feels organic.
I agree.

I'm also feeling that this version is one of the best ones, at the moment I feel it is better than PES5 (my favourite football game), hopefully a few months down the line I'll be of the same opinion :).

Oh and I just scored a manual pass finish with Taison, I'll record and upload it :).

I agree that PES2011 could well be the best PES yet. I need to get the PS2 out of retirement and reacquaint myself with PES5 just to put things into perspective, but I think I know the answer.

I know, it's difficult to accept this in forum of Winning Eleven. I always loved soccer games from Konami. Konami always made good (really good) simulation football games, but today, since PES08, that's not a true...

See a game in FIFA is like watching a real game on TV and the most people agree with that.

In PES is like a american football. Not much on PES2011, but it still is.

But OK, I respect.

I've watched five matches on TV this weekend and none of them have reminded me of FIFA. If anything, watching the real thing only further points out the areas where EA get things wrong. It also makes me wonder whether they are serious about making a game that realistically represents football.

Many aspects though have reminded me of PES though, particularly the three La Liga games I watched.

What is it about FIFA that makes it a true simulation for you?

And I don't understand the comparison between the NFL and PES 2011...

It's not manual "shooting" as such, but I have scored a few one-on-ones with manual passes by sliding the ball past the keeper.

I havn't tried using the manual lobbed pass yet, but the normal one works well as a shot, when fully charged they can trouble the keeper from near the edge of the box.

Yeah, that's something I've been beginning to try.

I also noticed that this installment of PES requires a very light touch on the shoot button, otherwise it's row Z ever time.

Another couple of questions -

Is there a way to cancel your last command? You know, like if you press the pass button early, before you've reached a loose ball, then you get to the ball and the situation has changed so you don't want to pass after all, but it remembers your button press from 2 seconds ago and kicks the ball away.

I thought that PES08 or 09 were supposed to have fixed this issue and it was one of Konami's big boasts. But the problem is very much there in 11, so do I need to press a button to cancel?

And where's super-cancel? Has it been ditched?

And how do I get the keeper to drop the ball at his feet when he's hoilding it in his hands? Everything seems to cause him to boot it.

Here is the goal:

YouTube - PES 2011 - Manual pass finish

I thought it looked pretty realistic :)

@winston - Super cancel is RB + RT (or R1 + R2), it cancels your last command, and if you hold it down and move the left stick you can make your player come off his "rails" to intercept a pass, let it go out of play etc. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to cancel your last command? You know, like if you press the pass button early, before you've reached a loose ball, then you get to the ball and the situation has changed so you don't want to pass after all, but it remembers your button press from 2 seconds ago and kicks the ball away.

I thought that PES08 or 09 were supposed to have fixed this issue and it was one of Konami's big boasts. But the problem is very much there in 11, so do I need to press a button to cancel?

I think pressing :triangle: will cancel a pass, but can't remember for sure.

I've watched five matches on TV this weekend and none of them have reminded me of FIFA. If anything, watching the real thing only further points out the areas where EA get things wrong. It also makes me wonder whether they are serious about making a game that realistically represents football.

Many aspects though have reminded me of PES though, particularly the three La Liga games I watched.

What is it about FIFA that makes it a true simulation for you?

And I don't understand the comparison between the NFL and PES 2011...

Yep having watched the games earlier, I have to say PES is the game I get reminded of. Was expecting that anyway.
Also, a lot has been mentioned about the ball slowing down and all. I used to think so as well until I saw the games earlier. The ball does slow down, maybe not as much as in PES, but it definitely does, which makes sense because of friction and all. So my opinion that PES is realistic has just been reinforced. :D

O.T: Love your Sheldon avatar. :BOP:

I hated PES 2008, and havent really played much of 2009 and 2010, where I switched to FIFA instead. I quite liked FIFA 2009, but FIFA 10 bored me easily, and it seems like FIFA 11 is basically the same thing with a few minor details added gameplaywise.

I think PES 2011 is a slick rick, with a few minor things here and there, but overall, the flow and the realism of the game compared to FIFA 11 is just ridiculous. FIFA 11 plays like a damn machine, whilst PES feels organic.

I tend to agree, particularly about FIFA's progression.

I certainly don't think PES11 is the finished article, but it feels like they've finally got the foundations of the game right. The previous 2 or 3 releases on next-gen were awful and shouldn't have been released. They were probably struggling to come to terms with the technology and being forced into releasing something each year by Konami, no matter how much of an unfinished experimental mess it was.

But now they have a decent base and can really start refining.

Meanwhile, FIFA seems to be going backwards this year. There's a decent enough engine in there somewhere, but they're taking it in the wrong direction - it's more arcade than sim now. And yes, playing against the cpu is very machine like. It's woeful. But 10v10 online is a blast and still makes it worth buying.

I agree that PES2011 could well be the best PES yet. I need to get the PS2 out of retirement and reacquaint myself with PES5 just to put things into perspective, but I think I know the answer.

Unfortunately, my PS2 has long since gone, as I too would like to try it out to compare what it was like at its peak.

Yep having watched the games earlier, I have to say PES is the game I get reminded of. Was expecting that anyway.
Also, a lot has been mentioned about the ball slowing down and all. I used to think so as well until I saw the games earlier. The ball does slow down, maybe not as much as in PES, but it definitely does, which makes sense because of friction and all. So my opinion that PES is realistic has just been reinforced. :D

O.T: Love your Sheldon avatar. :BOP:

I agree, I hated the way the ball slowed down when I was playing the beta but I'm noticing it a lot in real matches.

It'll be interesting to see if different stadiums/pitches result in different ball physics.

Sheldor is AFK :))

Back
Top Bottom