PES 2011 Demo impressions

Here is the goal:

YouTube - PES 2011 - Manual pass finish

I thought it looked pretty realistic :)

@winston - Super cancel is RB + RT (or R1 + R2), it cancels your last command, and if you hold it down and move the left stick you can make your player come off his "rails" to intercept a pass, let it go out of play etc. :)

Sweet. Thanks!

Yeah, the goal looked good. Will try this out more. ONe thing that was annoying me was that cpu goalies were too good at saving my shots (looks like they were scripted to go straight at the keeper, or even if he had to dive, the keeper would always make perfect catch, whereas my keeper always fumbled everything, no matter which team I was). But manual passes as shots will confuse the AI model as the "scripted shot/perfect save" routine won't kick in.

Pretty sure I've scored a manual lob shot - although can't remember for sure if it was PES or FIFA demo. Anyway, the manual lobbed pass is my favourite thing in this game. The freedom is wonderful. Nice long passes into real space creating very realistic plays (finally long ball football in a computer game that seems to work), or delicate litte chips in tight areas. Makes a change from the endless pixel perfect ground passes that have dominated computer football for too long.

Yep having watched the games earlier, I have to say PES is the game I get reminded of. Was expecting that anyway.
Also, a lot has been mentioned about the ball slowing down and all. I used to think so as well until I saw the games earlier. The ball does slow down, maybe not as much as in PES, but it definitely does, which makes sense because of friction and all. So my opinion that PES is realistic has just been reinforced. :D

Conversely, I don't think the ball slows down enough in Fifa. The ball can just run on too far sometimes.

The ball slowing down too much in PES is not so much of a problem for me as I don't see it happening on every pass.

I tend to agree, particularly about FIFA's progression.

I certainly don't think PES11 is the finished article, but it feels like they've finally got the foundations of the game right. The previous 2 or 3 releases on next-gen were awful and shouldn't have been released. They were probably struggling to come to terms with the technology and being forced into releasing something each year by Konami, no matter how much of an unfinished experimental mess it was.

I've said before that PES2011 is Konami's 'FIFA08 moment'. It's far from perfect but it's a new platform and a new direction for Seabass to build on in the coming years. Hopefully they don't stagnate like EA.

I'm watching Internacional vs Vasco on TV right now, and it feels like I'm watching a PES match. So weird! :)

Thank GOD! I'm not the only one who's experiencing this

I swear i been watching a variety of matches from all over the world (betting etc..)(bet365) champions league, La liga :)) and every tim,e it's like i'm watching PES! Especially the way players move! Everything just seems to the same!

Last game i watched was Barca vs Atletico, dame Again, i could get over how much it reminded me of PES 2011 :CONFUSE:

This game is driving me crazy :SS :SS

I've watched five matches on TV this weekend and none of them have reminded me of FIFA. If anything, watching the real thing only further points out the areas where EA get things wrong. It also makes me wonder whether they are serious about making a game that realistically represents football.

Many aspects though have reminded me of PES though, particularly the three La Liga games I watched.

What is it about FIFA that makes it a true simulation for you?

And I don't understand the comparison between the NFL and PES 2011...

I know exactly what you mean - aside from some lacking animations, PES sure does resemble the real thing more than FIFA. A problem I'm having though is with the controls and having my intentions carried out within the game. Maybe it's still a tad too automated for my tastes. I'm really loving the individuality, and based on the demo this year may be my favorite since, I dunno, PES6?

I really have to disagree with those who say FIFA is going backwards though. It appears to be going in the right direction, imo, but it's taking baby steps in areas that need major improvement. At first I actually hated the FIFA demo but the more I play it, and the more I play it in ways different from past FIFAs, the more I'm liking it.

It looks to me like both games will be quality this year but both still need some tweaks and improvements to be truly great.

Heres a goal I just scored with ManU. I won the game 2-0 over Milan on top player. :)

YouTube - Owen goal PES 2011

Btw anyone think Top Player isn't that hard? I've beaten all the big teams so far (except Barca, I didn't play them yet) .. its mostly due to my passing game. Pass alot and you get chances :)

Anyway with ManU I use this formation. Notice no need for Nani on the left .. I rely on Evra / Rooney to work the wing :)
This gives me pure attack and with Rooney, Evra and Scholes tracking back, I still get some decent defense.
Sometimes, though, I can caught on the counter attack easily but still.. this way I create way more goal opportunities even on Top Player.

---------------------Owen-------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
----------------------------Berbatov--------------
---------Rooney(WF)-------------------------------
-------------------------------------Giggs--------
------------Fletcher--------Scholes---------------
----Evra(LB)--------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------Rafael---
-------------Vidic--------Ferdinand---------------
--------------------Van Der Sar-------------------

Well I'm gonna try out Barca and give them a pounding :)

Last edited:
5005610027_332d16d8a4_z.jpg

5005631493_d04f38613c_z.jpg

5005583697_93498eb062_z.jpg

I have changed the Manual modifier button to right and close control button to left. Now I can control full passing with the same hand (right hand) and with precise manual passing.
Now doing tricks also become easy ( I mean the timing ).

Guys try this, this setting is comfortable for me.

I have changed the Manual modifier button to right and close control button to left. Now I can control full passing with the same hand (right hand) and with precise manual passing.
Now doing tricks also become easy ( I mean the timing ).

Guys try this, this setting is comfortable for me.

That sounds good. Makes sense as well to control passing with just the right hand. Shall give that a try.

What is it with the tricks? I pull one off with L1 and a direction, the player makes his trick/feint, and then there is a half second where i cant do anything, before regaining control and do a pass or shot.
The only problem is that because of the half seconds, i end up losing the ball. Sofar the tricks are not working out for me.

Still can't beat Barca. Played against them yesterday with Bayern. I was in posession most of the time, has some good chances but no luck.
Lost again 2-0.
Did manage a 4-1 win with Real against AC Milan though.
The game is really starting to grow on me. Still some errors in my passing but i'm slowly getting better.

But, for the life of me i still cant get my player to make runs for me.
Have already changed the support sliders which helps a little, but not enough to have my wingers go deep.

Also, is it just me or is the whole strategy menu a little hard to figure out.

What is it with the tricks? I pull one off with L1 and a direction, the player makes his trick/feint, and then there is a half second where i cant do anything, before regaining control and do a pass or shot.
The only problem is that because of the half seconds, i end up losing the ball. Sofar the tricks are not working out for me.

Played this a little more though it was at 01:00am after a night in Leeds... :P

I was finding the same thing elfie, I just put it down to not knowing my pad, still somethings that don't seem right but it's going to be a game I'm willing to stick with this year and try to get my PES mojo back with, liking the manager stuff, even just the bits you can work with on the demo...

Decided to download the PC demo despite my horribly outdated PC, was getting bored of the Copa teams and it's still a long time to go before the full game is released. Was surprised to see that even on my old rig the graphics seemed much better than the PS3 version.

Also gave me an opportunity to try out a few different matchups. I was finding Top Player too easy but thankfully using different teams and playing different opponents does make it fresh and more challenging. Can see myself getting both PC and PS3 version this year.

I was finding the same thing elfie, I just put it down to not knowing my pad, still somethings that don't seem right but it's going to be a game I'm willing to stick with this year and try to get my PES mojo back with, liking the manager stuff, even just the bits you can work with on the demo...

I dont even care that much about the tricks, just want to know if i'm doing something wrong. I'll only be using tricks in the end of the game, when i'm 4-0 in front to humiliate my opponent........as if that's ever going to happne :)

Decided to download the PC demo despite my horribly outdated PC, was getting bored of the Copa teams and it's still a long time to go before the full game is released. Was surprised to see that even on my old rig the graphics seemed much better than the PS3 version.

Also gave me an opportunity to try out a few different matchups. I was finding Top Player too easy but thankfully using different teams and playing different opponents does make it fresh and more challenging. Can see myself getting both PC and PS3 version this year.

The pc version is miles better then the ps3 when graphics are concerned.
Ps3 is too jaggy. Love the smooth pc graphics.
Can't wait for all those great patches, am already enjoying the 30 team patch.

I found these differences between PC-demo and xbox360-demo:

1. 0 speed in PC resembles about -1 or even -2 on xbox360.
2. CPU-attacking-AI in PC-demo at top-player is too tame, with Barcelona not making a single goal against me with Bayern Munich, while on xbox360 Barca achieves to make at least one goal often even two goals against me with Bayern. They play more efficient and simply better on xbox360 while attacking.
3. Animation on xbox360 seemed more smooth.

i really really wanted to get this game this year. last game was pes6, as some of you may have noticed me the past few months. i was really optimistic. have played about 20-25 matches of pes demo now. bear in mind i played the fifa demo for 2-3 days meaning about 20 matches too and i was really impressed, the 360 degrees movement, passing was amazing as i was coming from pes6, not to say it beats pes6 hands down, but in terms of freedom definitely.

these are the cons i found in pes demo.

- ball slows down suddenly. lol, they never managed this in pes5/6?!
- the celebrations are crappy. i hope they have more than one celebration animation. and almost every animation for example after a foul, i have seen in the 3-4 years of pes6. what were they doing the whole year?
- 360 degrees? no way. 16 directional at the very most to me.
- passing is semi-assisted. i know l2+x works for manual, but come on, who'll bother using that in online or offline multiplayer modes?

i really really hope it grows on me though. but what i think is, i MIGHT get my first fifa finally and then settle for pes12. i just think they'll use this as a building block. it is a good game, but it has flaws, and that has to be improved in order to get the confident name they got back in ps2 days of pes5/6.

Played some FIFA 11 today, it's great game, smooth, well organized .. too organized :CONFUSE:

I miss PES randomize it's more fun and realistic :COAT:

smooth FIFA AI + PES randomize and tactics = the perfect game

FIFA AI is horrible and predictable, that and it's lack of player individuality are the major letdowns for me and reason enough to prefer PES this year.

I can't believe they still have that animation where you rush a player to defend the open part of the goal in a free-kick and he bumps into the post, taking 5 seconds to recover, and usually ending up outside the goalmouth.

This is happening because you are leaving the 'linked faints' on the pre-set setting. pre-set has 4 linked skills on each direction and once you start it you cant stop and you end up pulling off a string of differant skills that look just daft!

you have to (this is what I have done) create your own combo of tricks to stop this. I have only one trick or in some cases 2 tricks assigned to each direction. I have picked skills that will buy me a yard of space rather than
fancy-dan tricks.

dont forget you can do most of the more subtle skills suck as quick stepovers by just moving the the right stick in a certain way (without pressing L1) this is what I do most often anyway.

hope this helps

This is happening because you are leaving the 'linked faints' on the pre-set setting. pre-set has 4 linked skills on each direction and once you start it you cant stop and you end up pulling off a string of differant skills that look just daft!

you have to (this is what I have done) create your own combo of tricks to stop this. I have only one trick or in some cases 2 tricks assigned to each direction. I have picked skills that will buy me a yard of space rather than
fancy-dan tricks.

dont forget you can do most of the more subtle skills suck as quick stepovers by just moving the the right stick in a certain way (without pressing L1) this is what I do most often anyway.

hope this helps

Thanks for the info. Will give this a try. Haven't done anything in the statagy/settings part yet. I will do exactly what you do, add only non fancy tricks. Screw that rainbow thingy.
I have been doing more and more controlled dribbling / turning and it works out pretty good.

fancy-dan tricks.

hope this helps

Yeah, I did this as well and it makes a huge difference, but it also made me wonder what's the point in having 4 feints linked together to begin with? I guess it looks cool when it's pulled off but because you can't break out of it, and because it's more than a little silly, 4 linked skills is a bit much imo.

But yeah, switching them so it's just one trick each works much better (I'll probably try some with two as well) and I actually like how it's done more than in FIFA - I suck at remembering and pulling off all the different combos in FIFA so it's kinda nice just having to worry about timing. Only problem is I'm getting tired of changing all my settings in the demo each time I start!

Is there a way to assign different link feints to different players in the final game, or is it the 4 presets that will work for every player?

It's not manual "shooting" as such, but I have scored a few one-on-ones with manual passes by sliding the ball past the keeper.

Well, last night, in one match, I tried this as my main means of shooting and immediately racked up 4 goals by half-time. The goalies just don't seem to be coded up well enough to cope with these unexpected types of shot.

Reverted to normal shooting and, of course, the keeper saves everything because he is scripted to and I have no real control of where the shot goes.

So manual passing for shooting seems to be a definite exploit against cpu. Frankly, I'm glad it's there because the scripted shoot-autosave keepers were typical PES crap, so it's nice to have a means to by-pass this particular aspect of Seabass's scripting.

Back
Top Bottom