PES 2011 Demo impressions

This is happening because you are leaving the 'linked faints' on the pre-set setting. pre-set has 4 linked skills on each direction and once you start it you cant stop and you end up pulling off a string of differant skills that look just daft!

you have to (this is what I have done) create your own combo of tricks to stop this. I have only one trick or in some cases 2 tricks assigned to each direction. I have picked skills that will buy me a yard of space rather than
fancy-dan tricks.

dont forget you can do most of the more subtle skills suck as quick stepovers by just moving the the right stick in a certain way (without pressing L1) this is what I do most often anyway.

hope this helps
Cheers for that, going to get some more game time this week so I'll look at that, don't want the trick link at all...:P

Cheers for that, going to get some more game time this week so I'll look at that, don't want the trick link at all...:P

I imagine a link of two would be alright. I'm still trying to get comfortable with the basic controls so I feel like I'm not quite at the level yet to really play around with feints but I imagine they could be fun once I do. Kinda wish there were more than 4 presets though.

Will we be able to assign different presets to different players if we want or are the 4 presets used regardless of the player?

4 linked skills in each direction? 4? lol!

what is this, some sort of dance routine game?

will have to try this out to see what's the most elaborate string of dancing i can knit together -

online, we can have in-match sub-competitions to see who can do the best dance moves

does this game still have fish heads and stuff? imagine dancing fish heads, what a hoot....what a sim...

The 360 demo suffers with frame skips far too often:FAIL:

This better be cured on the retail version because its bloody awful at the moment.

Things like a shot from 25 yards and the next scene the ball is bouncing out the net:CONFUSE:

Well, last night, in one match, I tried this as my main means of shooting and immediately racked up 4 goals by half-time. The goalies just don't seem to be coded up well enough to cope with these unexpected types of shot.

Reverted to normal shooting and, of course, the keeper saves everything because he is scripted to and I have no real control of where the shot goes.

So manual passing for shooting seems to be a definite exploit against cpu. Frankly, I'm glad it's there because the scripted shoot-autosave keepers were typical PES crap, so it's nice to have a means to by-pass this particular aspect of Seabass's scripting.
If the keepers really are so bad against it, and it happens online all the time, this will be me...

70440-fuuuuuu.jpg

The 360 demo suffers with frame skips far too often:FAIL:

This better be cured on the retail version because its bloody awful at the moment.

Things like a shot from 25 yards and the next scene the ball is bouncing out the net:CONFUSE:
I'm on the 360 version and have heard about this issue from a lot of people on here, but I am yet to see it once? :CONFUSE: I've played the demo for hours as well... I must just be lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on the 360 version and have heard about this issue from a lot of people on here, but I am yet to see it once? :CONFUSE: I've played the demo for hours as well... I must just be lucky.

Yeah I don't recall this happening on mine either.

However, not a big fan of using the xbox rb for sprinting. Can't decide which console to buy for 'cause I avoid the PS3 controller when I can (too small for my hands) but PES clearly wasn't designed with the xbox controller in mind.

Is anyone else playing on speed +2?

Screw realism this is far more fun! Action packed and much more stimulating for an old-schooler like myself!

it took me about 5 games to start to get this wickedly subtle game.

they really have improved the freedom of the game, you can do so much more - im impressed. :D

passing - game doesnt get stuck at the usual places like 2010, you feel like you can actually create your own passing game. crossing goals in pes2010 were quite predictable and easy to achieve. with pes2011 you actually need to weigh your crosses more carefully and it matters alot for success.

shooting - im still getting used too, but it feels ok. you definately have to hold the button down less cmpared to pes 2010.

the default game speed is a bit slow imo, so i changed game speed to +1 and wow much better. the flow and pace of the game is much more realistic compared with a real-life champions league game.

it feels like a whole new game compared with pes 2010 and kudos to konami for these great improvements!!

Last edited:
How do you do the finesse or curl shot?

I hold R2 and shoot but the animation seems to still be instep.

Do you press R2 after shoot?

MY GENERAL VIEWS OF PES 2011 DEMO

1) SHOOTING
I guess the shooting was screwed up purposely only to make the game difficult.
Long range goals were a disaster in PES 2010, you can score or get the ball at target, even when the goal net is not in the screen. For every attempt you saw was the goalkeeper and his awful animation.
But Now, less attempts = less damage to goalkeeper = better goalkeeper.

Shooting : 6/10
Remark : Ball needs to be little heavier, AI attempts many acrobatic shots which needs fixing.

2) DEFENDING
David Villa, Xavi, Robben all do perfect sliding tackles and take the ball. By the time these midfield players and strikers keep you busy sliding and pressurizing, the defenders organize themselves. This is only a way of defending, but not all teams follow this style. May be we can see a different kind of defending from a Stoke City or NewCastle Utd.

Defending : 8/10
To FIX : More sliding tackles, no covering, less interception by the AI. Defenders can be beaten easily, but acceleration of the player is very bad, the defender easily catches you.

3) PLAYER MOVEMENTS AND PASSING

The AI is not up to mark, off the ball movement really sucks especially near the box. I have to do manual pass in order to make the striker/player move away from marking. I love doing it, but not everytime.
Not many times I have seen AI doing a back pass inside their own half. AI always attacks (may be because of team tactics), but same should not happen in ML. Bringing the manual modifier button to the right and close control to left makes it easy to switch between complete manual and semi manual.

Passing : 9/10
Player Movements : 7/10
Remarks : Easy to adapt. Freedom is great.
To Fix : Player becomes slow when nearing the box, even when the stamina is good. Position Swap has very less effect in a 4-3-3 formation. Player Acceleration along a diagonal run is not satisfying.

MISCELLANEOUS

Cutscenes : 5/10 ( improper cam angles, minimum visual content)
Replay mode : 5/10 ( added a new cam, but where are last year's? )
Main Menu : 10/10
In-game Menu : 8/10 (complicated, I thought we would have a bigger spider stat chart)
ScoreBoard : 9/10 ( must have an option to have club logo instead of three lettered Names)
Final Score and details : 6/10 ( After the game you have to go inside a menu to know the final scoreline )
Celebrations : 8/10 ( the player sometimes think - Should I celebrate for this goal ? LOL)
Graphics : 7/10 (grainy and not the accurate representation of colors)
Animation : 8/10 ( not all of them look sweet, but are 10x better than 2010)
Goalkeeper : ?/10 (One season in ML should tell how good GK are)
Refs : 8/10 (surely better than last year, advantage rule is not correctly implemented)

OVERALL (demo) : 8/10
OVERALL (full game) : 8+/10 (Increment depends on improvements in ML and other game modes like Edit mode, BAL, Online)

Last edited:
I have noticed that the numerous overhead kicks are down to timing.If we wait a little longer before the shoot button then yeah there is significantly less amount of overhead kicks

I have noticed that the numerous overhead kicks are down to timing.If we wait a little longer before the shoot button then yeah there is significantly less amount of overhead kicks
I've noticed this too. Leaving it later to press for the first-time shot will let you carry out an intended volley without the theatrics. The only problem is however the scissor volleys seem to hit the back of the net a fair bit more than the volleys.

Hopefully sorted out in the full game or with a patch.

Hiiiii everybody haven't been in this forum since pes 2008 because since then i've played fifa and nooow. i gotta say that the pes demo surprises me in a positive way. There are still some bad things about it but they more seem to be because it's the demo, than beeing real problems. Passing is great but you need to practice for i but thats okay. feints are awesome, the movements looks great. shooting looks okay but they have too slow down them i lil bit i think, there are a lot of tiger shots. small problems like bad first touches just a few most are okay and some bugs are just because it's a demo. Fifa 11 demo isn't better this year i think i'm back again in PES business and it feels great. The pes years 4,5,6 were the best gaming days ever and i think they are on a right way. :BOP::COOL: YouTube - pes 2011

Clearly timing affects what kind of shot you take. I find myself doing very few overheads or sideways scissor kicks and have yet to score from one. The trouble is, just like with niggly fouls, that the CPU does too many of them, and often with players who wouldn't dream of doing these kinds of shots.

A problem tied in with these sideways scissor kicks is that most defensive headers from corners drop just outside the box and central where an unmarked CPU player is always waiting to show his acrobatic skills. There really needs to be more variety in the direction of clearances. It would also be nice if one of my players could mark this danger zone during corners.

The niggly foul surely something that happen too often. The CPU just came in and bang or trip everyone with the ball. Totally different IRL where suppose V. Bommel most of the time fouling Messi, but in my game Messi does it better.

Yesterday i had one of those old fashioned big PES moments with the demo.
I have won a fair amount of games with Internacional against Chivas and with Barcelona against Bayern Mucnhen.
But i never succeded to win with Bayern against Barca. Yesterday i played with Bayern against Barcelona in the Nou Camp and before the match i tinkered quite a lot with the tactics.
I decided to play rather defensive and counter...Barcelona had a flying start but i kept the nil and gradually Bayern became better and has some good chances.
The turning point came at the end. In the last quarter Olic came on the pitch for Klose and a player with a Turkish sounding name for (but not Altintop) came in for Muller. The Turkish guy was sensational and he provided an assist for Olic in injury time...0-1 win...the Turkish substitute had a match rating of 9/10.
When Olic scored, i had the same elated feeling that i had with Pes 3,4 and 5...and as good as FIFA is (and i really like it) i 've never had such moments with that game. I don't know how that comes...am i biased? Probably, but that can't be all...

Last night I played the demo for the first time.
It felt like playing with 22 Dick Van Dykes, running in treacle, kicking a beachball.
I was disgusted and verbally tore Seabass a new Arsehole (for the 6th year running).

But, I took a deep breath, went to bed, woke up and will play this later on this evening a few times, with some composure and with a few settings tweaked.

i kinda felt like that as well when i played it for the first time so i played fifa 11 demo and i saw that it isn't that better. I played much games now and it's going to be better every match. But theres one thing the first touch. Theres often the situation that i play over the flanks then a pass thru the defence from the half position but not a depp pass just in the feet of the attacker who just hafta turn around and shoot the ball in the net from 16 m but he stops the ball control it und slowly turn around meanwhile the whole defence stand on his feet. Any idea how to do this faster or how to leave the ball running through his legs ?

Yesterday i had one of those old fashioned big PES moments with the demo.
I have won a fair amount of games with Internacional against Chivas and with Barcelona against Bayern Mucnhen.
But i never succeded to win with Bayern against Barca. Yesterday i played with Bayern against Barcelona in the Nou Camp and before the match i tinkered quite a lot with the tactics.
I decided to play rather defensive and counter...Barcelona had a flying start but i kept the nil and gradually Bayern became better and has some good chances.
The turning point came at the end. In the last quarter Olic came on the pitch for Klose and a player with a Turkish sounding name for (but not Altintop) came in for Muller. The Turkish guy was sensational and he provided an assist for Olic in injury time...0-1 win...the Turkish substitute had a match rating of 9/10.
When Olic scored, i had the same elated feeling that i had with Pes 3,4 and 5...and as good as FIFA is (and i really like it) i 've never had such moments with that game. I don't know how that comes...am i biased? Probably, but that can't be all...

Hey mate, cool story.

Equally I had two moments yesterday during Chivas v Internacional games that left me feeling like I haven't since PES 4 & 5 days

First I played a long punt downfield more in hope than expectation which looked to be meat and drink to the Internacional CB. He misjudged it however and it hit him on te back and span out for a throw on to me level with the 18 yard box!

The second incident, I was sheperding a ball back to my GK, with D'Allesando in pursuit and the frustrated bugger just shoved me in the back, conceding a free kick and getting a yellow for his troubles.

Great days :)

But theres one thing the first touch. Theres often the situation that i play over the flanks then a pass thru the defence from the half position but not a depp pass just in the feet of the attacker who just hafta turn around and shoot the ball in the net from 16 m but he stops the ball control it und slowly turn around meanwhile the whole defence stand on his feet. Any idea how to do this faster or how to leave the ball running through his legs ?

Try holding the sprint button when receiving the pass and the player will let the ball run through his legs. If you hold a direction too the receiving player will let the ball roll past him and he will run onto it.

The niggly foul surely something that happen too often. The CPU just came in and bang or trip everyone with the ball. Totally different IRL where suppose V. Bommel most of the time fouling Messi, but in my game Messi does it better.

If I may, I think this is spot on.
An attacker who comes back to defend is more foul prone than a defensive midfielder.
After my countless defeats against Real Madrid on Top Player (I still have to get a grip on the new timed tackle, hence conceding tons of avoidable goals), the majority of fouls done by CPU are done by Kaka, which is the only attacker who comes back to defend.
And he mostly chooses poorly the time, fouling my midfielders in dangerous zones and even conceding me a penalty once.

It happens too often, I concur with you on this one, but I don't think it's weird. Just think about it.

Just enjoyed another solid 2 hours of demo time and I've fallen in love with Andres D'Alessandro. The man orchestrates everything. Its probably the one thing I've missed the most when playing FIFA these last few years, forging relationships with individual players, particularly those who play for 'lesser' clubs.

I catched some minor but nice details.

I was able to dive (altough only in my own half with my defenders) without beeing noticed and punished or awarded free kick..

This is nearer to realism. In real life, not all dives has been awarded free kick, or yellow card for diving, lot of them remain unnoticed.

While defending free kicks you can very early switch to keeper with L1 + R3, before the opponent starts his run, so you can position your keeper very easily. Nice touch Konami.. Do not forget to switch back to your players ;)

This game has potential.. I should look up my first post after the demo :D

I still hope, that they will iron out some main issues with the demo for retails and improve the gfx on PS3 as well. The Playstation the legandary main system on lastgen is struggeling thisgen for the 4th year :RANT:

I can only dream about nice, tight nets..

i kinda felt like that as well when i played it for the first time so i played fifa 11 demo and i saw that it isn't that better. I played much games now and it's going to be better every match. But theres one thing the first touch. Theres often the situation that i play over the flanks then a pass thru the defence from the half position but not a depp pass just in the feet of the attacker who just hafta turn around and shoot the ball in the net from 16 m but he stops the ball control it und slowly turn around meanwhile the whole defence stand on his feet. Any idea how to do this faster or how to leave the ball running through his legs ?

You have to press the running button (whatever it is) and the direction towards at the same time so that the player could let the ball past him while turning.
When timed well, it's a thing of beauty.

The weird thing about the demo is in some passages I feel like the shooting is spot on and I can make some good shots after clever passing but sometimes the ball is too light.I haven't found the measure of shooting in this game yet

Just had a game Munich v Cpu Barca. Messi holding off my def from a throw in, ball at his feet and goes down like a sack of dogger. Ref blows - pissflaps I thought, its a pen, then ref pulls out yellow and books him for diving.

Quality.

Back
Top Bottom