PES 2011 Demo impressions

I've just finished a 10 games session of the demo and I'm not the type to write long posts because english is still difficultbut what I can say is that PES2011 on PC will be the game I'll spend most of the time playing.
I used to play FIFA08/09/10 more but this season I'll make a switch.
Of course animations could still be better but at least there's been significant improvement there.
Passing is spot on whether it's manual or not, there is enough freedom coupled with the necessary stat influence.It's got the perfect balance.
Shooting is great and frustrating at times,sometimes I feel like I'm in a good position but manage to totally fuck up the shot because there wasn't enough space between the leg and the ball.
There's lots of different details which affect shooting.The thing I love the most is how controlling the balls feels so different from players to players (D'Alessandro ahhh)

I'm not sure about that, your English is excellent. I cant help but admire bilingual people. I sucked at German and French. Bonjour. :)

I'm not sure about that, your English is excellent. I cant help but admire bilingual people. I sucked at German and French. Bonjour. :)

Thank you Jimmy haha.
Before sleeping last night I watched your 9 minutes D'Alessandro video.One of the best videogame (never mind football) compilation I've ever watched.Very good stuff
I've been meaning to ask, what kinda software do you use for the compilation (fraps for the capture is a given) ? I've always to use windows movie maker but it never worked for me.

Thank you Jimmy haha.
Before sleeping last night I watched your 9 minutes D'Alessandro video.One of the best videogame (never mind football) compilation I've ever watched.Very good stuff
I've been meaning to ask, what kinda software do you use for the compilation (fraps for the capture is a given) ? I've always to use windows movie maker but it never worked for me.

Thanks, but I honestly think they look a bit shabby really. They are only done using the Iphone4 with the Reel Director App. They look very home-video-ish to me, but I try and make them interesting with the music and content to hide the very unprofessional flaws. :LOL:

Jimmy - What's your opinion on the manual passing? Do you use it?

In previous years you had been critical of it due to it potentially making every player have the same passing ability, but I think that they have implemented it very well... In my opinion it gives you a lot of freedom but also maintains individuality :).

I hate to sound like a broken record but the green zone "bug" is killing this game for me. It's not even like I'm abusing it, it just happens that at certain points in every game the ball goes out to the wing near the corners and the most logical thing is to just do that easy jog up to the endline and cross. I think Konami overdid it a bit with their "stand back" defense in these cases, as the defender just stands back and watches, no doubt waiting for me to make some sort of move, but if I just run (sprinting isn't even necessary which makes the whole thing worse) to the endline he will just follow me without any further action or maybe stick out a leg last second which has no chance of stopping the cross anyway. Made some easy goals this way which are of course in no way satisfying, which is a shame because every other type of goal feels absolutely great (Just this morning had a free kick with Alves from 40 yards, keeper had no chance). I can live with the advantage rule being somewhat broken but this they need to fix.

Had a quick play before I went out last night (for some on here that's when you go outside and not for work ;))) and I felt the smack of difference from FIFA in the exact same way I did switching from WE to FIFA, this is going to take some playing...:PIRATE:

Jimmy - What's your opinion on the manual passing? Do you use it?

In previous years you had been critical of it due to it potentially making every player have the same passing ability, but I think that they have implemented it very well... In my opinion it gives you a lot of freedom but also maintains individuality :).

I use it foresure, I find that if I want to put added pace on the pass to avoid a possible interception with a cross-field ball on the deck, it works a treat. The difference between the normal pass with extra power, and the L2 manual is that the normal pass looks to pick out a player, where as the manual with put the ball into space for a player to run onto. I do think they are stat attributed, just not as much as the normal passing. It seems that lesser technical passers have a smaller margin for error, and the power bar increases at a higher rate, making it a little harder to judge. L2 manual high passes are very useful, especially cross-field like shown in the videos. The manual pass in previous game was pretty poor unless you were knocking the ball down the line, in a straight line, other than that it was pointless. Too restrictive with angles.

The lobbed through-balls are brilliant and very varied from player to player, Alessandro's on his left foot are just sublime. And I really like the fact you have so much control over them. Just a small tap will bring a cheeky little 5 yard dink over a players head, where as a more pronounced depress can pick out a 40-50 yard pass with the right player. So much control in this regard. I find I use circle alot as well for great short high passes. You could never really get any consistency on these type of passes in prior PES games, it was always a bit of a lottery. The way they have managed marry the semi-auto passing system with individuality is very, very clever, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm starting to like the demo more and more. Played a few more games today, on the default level.
With the copa teams i won 3-0, great goals and a great match.
Then i went as Bayern against Barca....lost 3-0. Then as Barca against Bayern, drew 0-0. I'm having a hard time just on the default level.
Sofar have been unable to beat Barca.

Had a quick look at tactics, but it looks damn confusing. Not at all as accesible as say pes6. Wish that was a little easier, but i guess it just takes some getting used to.
Demo does run wonderfull on my laptop. Strange thing is, i have the fifa pc demo as well, and it runs crap on my laptop.

Just played Scotland v Ireland with the PC patch. Best match I've had so far, two very evenly matched teams but the standout performers shone through. Kris Boyd scored a cracking leveller after Robbie Keane had cheaply put ROI ahead.

Step forward 40 year old David Weir to head the winner in stoppage time.

Happy days :)

Just played Scotland v Ireland with the PC patch. Best match I've had so far, two very evenly matched teams but the standout performers shone through. Kris Boyd scored a cracking leveller after Robbie Keane had cheaply put ROI ahead.

It's unbelievable what these PC Mods are capable of. I'm very envious. Lesser teams like Scotland and Ireland always provide a highly realistic experience.

Hi guys, used to be on this site on the ps2 days but really haven’t come back since none of the footy games on next gen did it for me (maybe Fifa 09 and Pes 2010 but mainly against my mates).

It was weird the past 3 to 4 years having no football game to get my fix since the available options were not up to PES ps2 standards, but i guess getting busy with finishing up school kept me away from video games in general. However, i was always in the loop knowing what games are good and what not also renting services brought me back into it, since it made it affordable for a student (demos were hard to come by for some reason as most of the great games had no demos). Still no game i rented i spent more than an hour or two of nonstop gaming, however this all changed with this demo. (i stayed up until 7 am this Thursday (weekend here in Saudi) playing this damn drug. have not happened since MGS3)

Man the moment i picked up the controller it just felt right and the more i play the better it got. It never felt as good using the Analog stick playing a footy game, instant control and precision like responding to the smallest of touches especially holding R2. Dribbling in this game is a joy!!

As for passing i could never have dreamed that they would make it this balanced. I have always hated the on rail thing since the ps2 days and felt that so many great plays in my head i could not do simply due to the control mechanics not allowing me to. The freedom of passing in Fifa almost converted me but it just never seemed there is too much depth to it (used semi-manual by the way). Tried to use all manual but it needed too much practice just to be able to do normal short passes, which should be the easy ones to pull off and real skill should come in play when trying to make more the elaborate and Xavi or Scholes like passes, klashman69 expresses my feeling exactly but to be honest i would take his word more seriously than mine as i never bothered to spend enough time with manual but just didn't feel it would matter at the end as after being a bet decent in it i could see its unbalanced.

So what i wanted was a game that offers you the freedom of passing the ball where you want and how hard, but at the same time factoring in the players your passing with and the kind of pass your making, so if its a short pass its easy and natural where a smaller margin of error (and contextual error) factored so its possible to miss a very easy pass if you dozed of thinking about what it feels like inside Megan Fox. This i feel is achieved to a very high degree in PES 11, i just almost always do what i want to do not forced to deal with restricted avenues and rails as in past pes games (even the PS2 ones), also factoring in individuality and passing stats (Xavi and De'Alssnardo are a joy to pass with).

all in all passing in this game is ACE!!

There is so much more i want to share with you guys about this game that i love, but gotta get back to work. More to say later.

Sorry for the lengthy impression given its my first post (not really but i forgot my older user name and i was not that frequent of poster even then so doubt you guys would remember me).

Anyway i have just had one of the bets matches in PES. i was beyern Munich and played against Barcelona on top player and my o my what a game. the scored first in the first half and started the game really well playing typically like Barcelona passing the ball around and carving me up a few times(THE AI IS PHENOMENAL )

2nd half i started taking shots further out instead of passing the ball to the net and my first shot came from robben 25 yards out and hit the post!

My first goal was brilliant. i passed the ball and build up play right from the back 4 and i carved open the Barcelona defence with a beautiful one touch through ball out wide from the middle to my wide player and he crossed it in and it just crept over puyols head and my striker controlled it and pushed the ball forward more or less being one on one with the goalie and took the shot in his second touch wrong footing the goalie :)

My 2nd goal came when i intercepted the ball from barcelona and made a great counter attacking doing a one two with robben who made a fantastic run down the middle between teh two CB's and i played the ball to him making him through one on one with the goalie to finish it off.

10mins later David villa released a 30 yard strike that hit the post! Henry also missed a sitter minutes after!

I then resorted into holding pocession until the whistle blown claiming my first victoria over barcelona :)

god i love this game

what patch is that?

confused, what supercancel has anything to do with air dueling? supercancel only allow you to get the better position, not outmuscle your opponents or even deliberately fouling them.

well my friend.. if you get in better position combined with pressing the opponent you can win the ball or get in front of him (or commit a foul lol).. or press him from behind so he can only head/pass a certain way/direction. to me this is pretty dynamic and not 'fixed' but its more versatile than 'just getting into position' it's not autoget the ball altogether.. combined with square/X there are options.. or even R2(without sprint) to get even more precision..
this form of duelling to me is still great, but if you mean like a way to just press 1 button to get different animations/physics,, idk, that's something else i guess
it'd be something if you could do an elbow of some sort :X

actually this has been the case since PES1 afaik, unless you know how to use this technique i understand where you're coming from.. like i said unless you mean fixed button-graphic-physics.. seems more something Fifa would do..

on a side note, on the committing foul part.. i agree to an extent that there isn't very much variation (graphics wise).. let me rephrase that.. a more 'obvious' way of pressing/fouling in air.. it's seems the collision detection in air is somewhat more 'static' compared to physical ground duels in PES

good god, recognizing players is so fantastic in this game. especially bayern whom i watch pretty much every week - müller, olic, klose, van bommel -every single one spot on.

somebody said individuality would win it for him, i can sign this 100%.

Finally the game clicked for me and pre-ordered UK version.

I still hope, that they will make tweaks here and there for the final game.

I think John Murphy said it's final code, because he wanted to avoid last years' code debates and the Twitter bashing :)

Rooms for improvement:

- Keeper animations has to be redone from scratch

- Advantage rule has to be used more often, like in real life

- This half scissor kick is killing me, I have it every game, AI side and mine too. Scored also a nice screamer with it. It shouldn't appear so frequently

- Player stats not accurate e.g. I think Messi has not as low stamina in real life as in game, Is (was) Ibra really the fastest Barca player, etc..

- Indirect freekicks. Try 2-men freekick with L1 and x near the box and 90% you won't reach the ball, because somebody from the wall will jump to it and take it

- I think player speed is toned down not realisitcally to favour defense

- Response times should improve

- Too many fouls, or players fall to ground too easy, resulting too many freekicks and too many cutscenes

- After playing 50 plus games I have to say keepers do parry too much It's not, that they should hold the majority of the screamers, but at least they shold put it either to the sides of the goal out of play or above the cross-bar. The unrealistic part is, when the ball rebounds from them.

- Overall the PS3 presentation is very crappy including low frame rates in cut scenes and replays. They are also blurry.

Having said that, it's still a great game.

I won't say yet, that it's the best football game in the world, but I won't be suprised if I would say it at the end of October :)

Back
Top Bottom