PES 2011 Demo impressions

There is far too many acrobatic shots in the game and on top player the opposition do not keep the ball for as long as they should.

I will have a game play file out that increases the opposition AI and hopefully the shooting. Defenders should not be flying 4 foot in the air, upside down at balls coming out of the box like Hugo Sanchez

+1.

Although I'm seeing as much as I once was, and I think that is down to letting the ball drop further before I press shoot. Try that.

Finally played 5-6 games of the demo, had to resort to PC as my 360 HD is fannying about.

I found PES 08,09 & 10 completely unplayable, but this really is a gem of a game. I have enjoyed FIFA last few years, but it does wear thin rather quickly. The FIFA ball physics and animations are outstanding but after a while you just realise you're seeing the same patterns of play again & again. My mind would even zone out for a number of seconds online and return to consciousness to discover I still had possession of the ball, everything just became automatic and you knew every outcome a moment before it happened.

But this doesn't happen in PES, it keeps you on your toes, the pure unpredictability of outcomes is what makes it all the more satisfying. The moment I knew it was a definite purchase was from a headed goal after pumping an opportunist ball into the area, it took me by complete surprised that I fist pumped dramatically, I haven't fist pumped a goal in a footy game in fucking years.

I just love watching players like Van Buyten fail to control a pass, and then stumble it 5 yards out into touch. Or picking the ball up with D'Alessandro and weaving inbetween defences.

I still ain't fully adjusted to it yet mind, I really miss double tapping the shoulder buttons for a quick stepover, and the shot cancel seems ineffective. Also all my through balls through the centre into the box seem overweighted every single time, I try and thread a little ball into the path of a striker but the keeper will always swallow it up.

Overall I'm massively pleased. For so long I've read promising reviews in past years from people so far up Konami's arse they refuse to accept the shambles it descended into. But this year, finally, it's back to it's best, and I still don't think I've scratched the surface really.

Last edited:
I hate pes2008, pes2009 was very bad, pes 2010 was bad...

I didnt want download Pes 2011 because i didnt believe this year KONAMI make a good game...

But...

I downloaded and i played it!!!

And oh my god!!! They improved everything..The game look different!!

Big improvments:

1. Realistic goalkeepers...Sometimes are superhumans..Sometimes not!!!

2. FREEDOM in gameplay!! With analog stick you can pass everywhere you want..

3. Long balls...When you press the long pass button the ball physics in the air is very good for air-fights..I love it!!!

4. Passes, shoots needs training!!!

5. I love defenders AI!!!

6. I like CPU...It plays real football!!!

7. I like new animations!!! They are very good this year..But KONAMI the next year must add more animations!!!

Sorry for my bad English!!!
But the game is very good and very different!!
I like and FIFA11 but i think this year PES is better!!

Last edited:
Why does the CPU sit on the last line of defence and recieve throughballs but my AI players wont do the same there always coming deep and being surrounded by 5 players.
Also i have yet to see a video of anyone driblling through or past defences i cant figure out how to do it with any buttons.

The game is really really great this year in comparison to PES 10 but the lack of advantage rule and more challenging AI brings it down a bit.

I dunno, I always play as Bayern and I can usually hold off Barcelona's attack most of the time. On top player, I've beaten them last two games 1-0 and before that 2-0. I've only played about 5 matches so far.

I think its the added freedom of movement that makes it easier to do whatever you want with the ball.. which is actually a great thing :)
Of course, downside is, the AI needs to be way more advanced to deal with all the choices you can make. Maybe only in PES 12 will Konami have a much harder AI.. or maybe "exhibition" AI is easier than "cup" or "ML" AI :) I found that was true with PES 5, 6.

Finally played 5-6 games of the demo, had to resort to PC as my 360 HD is fannying about.

I found PES 08,09 & 10 completely unplayable, but this really is a gem of a game. I have enjoyed FIFA last few years, but it does wear thin rather quickly. The FIFA ball physics and animations are outstanding but after a while you just realise you're seeing the same patterns of play again & again. My mind would even zone out for a number of seconds online and return to consciousness to discover I still had possession of the ball, everything just became automatic and you knew every outcome a moment before it happened.

But this doesn't happen in PES, it keeps you on your toes, the pure unpredictability of outcomes is what makes it all the more satisfying. The moment I knew it was a definite purchase was from a headed goal after pumping an opportunist ball into the area, it took me by complete surprised that I fist pumped dramatically, I haven't fist pumped a goal in a footy game in fucking years.

I just love watching players like Van Buyten fail to control a pass, and then stumble it 5 yards out into touch. Or picking the ball up with D'Alessandro and weaving inbetween defences.

I still ain't fully adjusted to it yet mind, I really miss double tapping the shoulder buttons for a quick stepover, and the shot cancel seems ineffective. Also all my through balls through the centre into the box seem overweighted every single time, I try and thread a little ball into the path of a striker but the keeper will always swallow it up.

Overall I'm massively pleased. For so long I've read promising reviews in past years from people so far up Konami's arse they refuse to accept the shambles it descended into. But this year, finally, it's back to it's best, and I still don't think I've scratched the surface really.

This is exactly how I feel about it too. It's great to play games that actually feel different from one another. Fifa is too machine-like.

Just apply exactly the same fundamentals as real life. For power, make sure the ball is out of your feet, your balance and posture are correct, ideally when your not being put under pressure the sprint to attack it when it is out of your feet. Make sure your distance is correct and in the players stride pattern. Be aware of what foot each player is using. I have no issue getting power, and it's only the last couple of days I have been consistently keeping them low. The bend will be player related, but hold left or right, forward or back, and a mixture of all four for spin. R2 and shoot will replace power for precision, and best used with players with higher technique.

cheers for the tips Jimmy, still trying to get used to the shooting system.

and i had a bug in my last game, i slid the ball through the D, medina received it, was tripped by the defender but still standing firmly but the ref fucked up by blowing the whistle. at first i thought it was a freekick for me, but i was left stunned knowing that it was against me. :CONFUSE:

in the same game, i crossed a ball to the far post, and the goalkeeper palmed the ball into his own net :CONFUSE: and another weird thing, i took a freekick with baez(cant remember, i think it was him) and directed it right to the top corner, only for abbondanzieri to fantastically tip it. he didnt tip it out of play, but to the bar instead. and the ball bounced back to the playing field, and here's the strange thing, abbondanzieri stopped moving, just froze at the spot, as if he thought he had palmed it out. the goal was empty and medina was unmarked. end of story. that was my first victory with the copa teams, with two stupid goals :LOL:

anyone experienced this before? this game has its bugs, but strangely, its so damn addictive. i need to play more :JAY:

With bated breath I played PES2011 demo and I am happy with the wholesale revamp of the game. It is indeed a beautiful game.

For once, Konami really lived up to expectation to what they have written. Unlike past releases where Konami will drum up how good the game is and at the end it always the same old story ,exaggerated and not as good as what was written. But this time, Konami got it right. Phew!!! Finally…..

The atmosphere in the stadium is brilliant. The camera angle is just about right for the wide mode. And I love the players’ faces. Overall, the game is really smooth and the gameplay is now even more realistic. The AI is now professor standard. In PES2010, it is quite easy to score a freekick near the goalmouth by merely passing to the player and pressing the square button. In PES2011, I have tried the same technique but unfortunately my shots were blocked off each time by an opposing defender. Oh yes, I badly wanted to try out the penalty but unfortunately the demo has blocked it off. In PES2010, getting a penalty is almost like striking lottery. I have gone like 2 entire season in the ML without getting a penalty, something unheard of in the past. Also for the same reason, I could not test out the injuries. I sure hope to see more realistic injuries like players limping off the pitch, players squirming in pain when kicked in the head, injured player lying motionless on the pitch for a longer period time. Just can’t wait for the release.

I must admit this is 100% better than PES2010. Feels a lot more fluid. Ive only had one game and not tried FIFA yet but it appears to be very good.

But and there is a but..The collison detection on one foul outside the area was horrendus. After zooming in on a foul I conceded the space between the defenders foot and the attacking players leg as he dived was massive..I reakon a good 6 inches gap..Absolutely no contact whatsoever..Im sure PES loyalist will say its a dive or getting out the way of the defenders leg but its just sloppy programming and very annoying

What is it with all these people saying fifa 10 was good or great? It was garbage as was proven on the fifa 10 forums. pes was pretty good but pes 11 looks like one of the all time great football games.

Last edited:
What is with all these people saying fifa 10 was good or great? It was garbage as was proven on the fifa 10 forums. pes was pretty good but pes 11 looks like one of the all time great football games.

Marty give it a rest, how many times do you need asking ? If people enjoyed it, so be it. I loved PES 2010, it was easily the most immersive PES to date for me personally, bar PES 2011 of course. Alot of people disagree with me, thats their own opinion, and they are welcome to it.

After playing this for an hour yes its better than 2010 gameplay wise but only just. Still ridgid. The are some really soft fouls and far too many. Ive seen the collision problem now on fouls several times and its so annoying. The player just falls over with no contact.

Im not a graphics whore at all but Im playing this on a decent TV and it looks poor to me.

FIFA hasnt impressed me either. Not much difference since the WC game which is a shame although you dont get anywhere near as long playing FIFA as you do PES

Marty give it a rest, how many times do you need asking ? If people enjoyed it, so be it. I loved PES 2010, it was easily the most immersive PES to date for me personally, bar PES 2011 of course. Alot of people disagree with me, thats their own opinion, and they are welcome to it.

You are saying on the one hand that you disagree with people who criticise pes 10 and prefer fifa 10, but on the other you are unwilling to engage people in debate to attempt to persuade them you are right. I unlike you am willing to engage them in debate as I think they could learn a lot if they gave pes a better chance and thought a little more about what they were writing.

Opinions can change, and fleeing the debate won't help change them.

You are saying on the one hand that you disagree with people who criticise pes 10 and prefer fifa 10, but on the other you are unwilling to engage people in debate to attempt to persuade them you are right. I unlike you am willing to engage them in debate as I think they could learn a lot if they gave pes a better chance and thought a little more about what they were writing.

Where is this debate you are having?

Where is this debate you are having?

it was on the fifa 10 forums last year - I argued that the fifa 10 game was like ice hockey in many ways and was a broken game. This was unsurprisingly unpopular with the fifa obsessives but I got a fair amount of support from some top gamers for my idea that the game was very poor.

I have stated the reasons as to why I loved PES 2010 when other people didnt. I broke down the technical fundamentals that I recognised, and why that appealed to me personally. I still find it a crying shame that alot of people missed out on it's deep beauty because they were either put off by the less than impressive animations compared to Fifa, or because they didnt put the time in to attempt to play it in a different manner to which they played Fifa or even old gen PES. Although I do now understand the freedom element of Fifa's semi-auto being another stumbling block to get over.

Stating those reasons is more than enough. The only time I'll engage in a technical debate is if someone that I feel warrants the time for a reply, states something that isnt correct. Not an opinion, just isnt correct full stop, and thats it. You seem to be on some sort of crusade, your emulating the stereotypical Fifa players that only come to troll. Like I said before Marty, two wrongs dont make a right.

Last edited:
Coming from playing all manual controls on FIFA I'm really struggling with the level of control and freedom in the demo. The PES website says something like "Engineered for Freedom" but I don't feel this at all at the moment - the CPU assistance too frequently picks out the wrong player for my passes and for a couple goals I've scored it felt more like the CPU did the work than me.

I'm not giving up on pes 2011 - there's still so much wrong with FIFA - but I'm also not so sure people aren't being just a little premature in claiming the king is back. After FIFA brought us total freedom and control, anything less feels last gen.

If you're that much used to manual everything, just use the R2 + pass then. That should be good and you can happily pick whoever you want and put whatever power you wish.

EDIT: L2 not R2.

Last edited:
I have stated the reasons as to why I loved PES 2010 when other people didnt. I broke down the technical fundamentals that I recognised, and why that appealed to me personally. I still find it a crying shame that alot of people missed out on it's deep beauty because they were either put off by the less than impressive animations compared to Fifa, or because they didnt put the time in to attempt to play it in a different manner to which they played Fifa or even old gen PES. Although I do now understand the freedom element of Fifa's semi-auto being another stumbling block to get over.

Stating those reasons is more than enough. The only time I'll engage in a technical debate is if someone that I feel warrants the time for a reply, states something that isnt correct. Not an opinion, just isnt correct full stop, and thats it. You seem to be on some sort of crusade, your emulating the stereotypical Fifa players that only come to troll. Like I said before Marty, two wrongs dont make a right.

As a man who obviously knows his material jimmy and relies on facts to prove arguments you must also know that the term "troll" is a highly subjective and controversial one.

As I said I am presenting my genuinely held, if not mainstream, opinions, and have no wish to simply argue for the sake of arguing. I think there is an argument to be had about fifa 10 and its perceived qualities and that engaging in debate with the thousands of fifa obsessives does no-one any harm.

Come on jimmy get your boots on and join the argument more actively - the fifa franchise can be proved to have massive flaws. And if people know the truth about the games that has to be a good thing right?

As a man who obviously knows his material jimmy and relies on facts to prove arguments you must also know that the term "troll" is a highly subjective and controversial one.

As I said I am presenting my genuinely held, if not mainstream, opinions, and have no wish to simply argue for the sake of arguing. I think there is an argument to be had about fifa 10 and its perceived qualities and that engaging in debate with the thousands of fifa obsessives does no-one any harm.

Come on jimmy get your boots on and join the argument more actively - the fifa franchise can be proved to have massive flaws. And if people know the truth about the games that has to be a good thing right?

Am I the only one that doesn't have a clue what your debate/point is?

october is going to be busy, pes 2011, castlevania and enslaved all on my to buy list. thinking about getting dead rising 2 aswell.

Am I the only one that doesn't have a clue what your debate/point is?

in essence I am saying that fifa 10 was very poor and that a lot of people are wrong when they say how great it is/was. Following from that I say that PES is a far better game and comparisons between fifa and pes are not being made on a fair basis but based on the corporate hype and brainwashing techniques used by ea.

I say that fifa obsessives therefore need to be challenged to persuade them that pes is far better than they believe.

in essence I am saying that fifa 10 was very poor and that a lot of people are wrong when they say how great it is/was. Following from that I say that PES is a far better game and comparisons between fifa and pes are not being made on a fair basis but based on the corporate hype and brainwashing techniques used by ea.

I say that fifa obsessives therefore need to be challenged to persuade them that pes is far better than they believe.

If they like FIFA, they like FIFA. It's not like you can tell them something that make them hate it.

The only thing to do that is worth any effort is to go to the feedback section and leave proper feedback on what you want changed and why.

why do they need to be challenged? i dont know about you but i couldnt give a shit what people think, its my money not theirs and i'll spend my money on what i like, not what they like. its very simple. even if they try to patronise you over your tastes in games i couldnt give a shit, who are they anyway?

They pay their money, they make their choice. You can't force people to like one particular game over another, even though I do agree with your opinion on the two games.

If they like FIFA, they like FIFA. It's not like you can tell them something that make them hate it.

The only thing to do that is worth any effort is to go to the feedback section and leave proper feedback on what you want changed and why.

the general consensus needs to be challenged to make the playing field between ea and konami a fair one. the review scores give a false picture of pes.

why do they need to be challenged? i dont know about you but i couldnt give a shit what people think, its my money not theirs and i'll spend my money on what i like, not what they like. its very simple. even if they try to patronise you over your tastes in games i couldnt give a shit, who are they anyway?

as a lot of fifa fans are labouring under a number of misconceptions about pes it does them good to have their ideas challenged and I have also influenced the development of fifa away from an arcade game. But essentially it is about improving the quality of debate about the two games.

Back
Top Bottom