PES 2011 Demo impressions

It's infinitely better than 2008, 2009 and 2010, but it still feels so rigid. I think the player models are superb, but they look low-res when actually playing with the view from the TV camera.

It's just so rigid. It has none of the free-flowing aspect that FIFA has. You can't just call something simulation because it has terrible game mechanics and slow passing. It didn't feel like I was playing with Barcelona.

The pass wasn't as hard as I'd suspected. I was being told I'd have to learn it, it was total BS, I picked it up in about 15 virtual minutes, but it's just not that good a game again.
I agree with the rigidity feel, especially after you play FIFA, it feels nowhere near as smooth or maybe even feels a little not as responsive. But Iwhile it may not 'feel' as good, it is more realistic. I mean in FIFA you can change directions any time you want, it is like the ball is stuck to your feet with a glue. In PES you will have to wait for the player to hit the ball with his foot be able to change directions (just like in real life). Don't even get me started with how unrealistic the passing is in FIFA (making perfect passes when unbalanced, one-touch pass to a person behind you, all those 180° passes, and Pro-Passing does nothing to solve that).

The aerial play on PES is still stuck in the style they had 5 years ago. Two men challenge for the ball aerially, there's no battle on the ground it's kind of pre-decided who's going to win. It's horrible.
I agree, there is no challenge when winning the ball. Feels dated.

Going to be my third FIFA straight and my (probably) my second year straight of not picking up a PES.

After not picking up PES last year, I think I'm ready to give it a go. Seems like a better simulation and certainly much more rewarding the more you play it.

for the people who say your AI teamates dont make runs....

lay off the fucking sprint button, slow the game down.. thats what i did and this game is fucking awesome. PLayers get into pockets, then they make runs... if you sprint all alone to goal, you will notice your AI teamates will be like what the fuck are you doing, get back here... of course unless you bayern and then you counterattack.. or at least i noticed this when i was up a goal, then realized the tactics change depending on the score... barca pushed forward and i punished them with ribery and muller.... CLASSIC. Someone needs to make a guide for all the tactic options

PING PONG, PING PONG, THE WITCH IS DEAD(fifa)

Oh and something i noticed while watching the movie you see after the matches.
In the part about BAL, you can see cut scenes..this could be great and very immersive...this has nothing to do with the gameplay, but i'm rather looking forward to play a BAL.

Some people are reporting about different graphics and AI within the PES 2011-demos.

Some are saying the xbox360 demo would look sharper and play smoother.

Others are saying the AI in the Winning Eleven-demo at topplayer were more challenging than the same one in the PES-demo...

Is that true?

Oh and something i noticed while watching the movie you see after the matches.
In the part about BAL, you can see cut scenes..this could be great and very immersive...this has nothing to do with the gameplay, but i'm rather looking forward to play a BAL.

Adam said that if you play well and impress the manager in BAL then eventually the manager will make you the focal point of the team and instruct your team mates to get the ball to you on a regular basis.

I'm guessing that this depends on your position, I think his player was a SS.

I'm Paraphrasing btw.

Three weeks to go.

Well, after going at it with the game for a couple of days I'm ready to put an impression.

Firstly I couldn't understand why people who had rightly ridiculed PES 2010 (rubbish rubbish game) were suddenly lauding PES 11, really couldn't figure it out as what I saw on the gameplay videos was simply unimpressive. To ensure I got a full appreciation of exactly was going to be different about this version I booted up PES 2010 & (painfully) had 2 games as the '11 demo was downloading.

Now I know I've been hard on PES especially with 2010 (rightfully so) & this is with all the bells & whistles of the PC version but it was really rancid.

Booted up PES 2011 and here are my impressions.

Within a minute I could obviously feel this was a dramatic change over 2010, huge!! Most obvious was the need to use the analogue stick for the first time on PES, actual 100% 360 degree movement is subjective but this game is definitely MUCH less restrictive in movement, mirrors the analogue stick input very well. What I kept thinking whilst playing the game is the whole 'engineered for freedom'

The players are sufficiently mobile & it's clear to see the difference between the more agile and the John Terry kinds. What I was disappointed in is the lack of analogue left stick movement with regard to player acceleration from standstill to jogging it's still basically job & sprint - I believe the changelist for PES 2011 included an analogue approach. Going back to animations, they are a mixed bag but on the whole really are fine and very much acceptable this year but must obviously be worked for PES 2012. This game pretty much is empirical evidence to the importance in harmonizing button input, animation & digital output in producing a believable and satisfying football game.

Playing as Spain v Japan "(PC version) I sent a Xavi aerial through ball to Torres who beat his defender for pace and tried a first time lob as the keeper had slightly come off his line ... I couldn't believe how smooth, fluid, responsive and believable the whole sequence felt & Torres chose the exact best way to attempt the chip (which didn't go in by the way, it's the thought that counts). I was really impressed with some of the contextual animations that appear in the game when trying various shots, passes, moves etc but above all else I find the shooting satisfying especailly as the player seems to position himself much better in the situation they are; something I always admired about FIFA. However there are problems with the animations with blind sided pass animations cropping up quite frequently. Infact there still are many animations that still do not fit the situations but on the whole I can forgive the game with the amount of positive contextual animations that occur especially in the 18 yard area. Almost forgot, the crossing animation is tripe .. the one where you run to the byline and are presented with a pretty repugnant crossing animation. But the game really has MUCH more freedom then any PES before it & almost FIFA to an extent.

Passing is very satisfying and much has been said for the freedom of direction and placement, this adds so much depth to the gameplay and is why a lot of the crowd that went to FIFA since next-gen have been agressive at getting this intergrated into PES. It works really pretty well most of the time and the positives you've heard about this system is pretty much accurate and it can be very rewarding and has a good balance between how you want the pass played and the player's actual ability. However there are some fundamental issues that negate the potential this passing system has, mainly player animation & position with relation to the ball & the ball physics as well as inconsistency in the actual system itself. Personally it sometimes feels like the power bar accounts for the speed of the ball then the actual distance or maybe it is taking into account the player's passing speed but it can really come across as being quite quirky or wonky at times. For instance there are too many times where you'll simply tap the pass button and the player animation is one of a cushioned pass but the ball shoots off at an amazing speed (i.e. a player will be standing almost still and the power of the pass garners more power than it ever should have); the inconsistency can make passing frustrating at times. Another annoying occurrence is seeing passes that do not match the animation & this happens frequently, there are quite a few blindside passes i.e. some of the 90 degree or side passes can be met with a rather unconvincing animation & this on top of the pass speed inconsistency is annoying).

The ball physics in the game are just all over the place, sometimes very realistic and sometimes very glued to the player and very unrealistic, very frustrating. The ball on the whole doesn't enjoy bobbling ... I've notice when the ball does bobble from a standard pass it will maybe bounce once or twice and then plants itself on the surface. This isn't as bad as PES 2010 but it still at an unacceptable level. However, sometimes I see the ball bobbling nicely but mostly when it is a ball that was going out on the onset; it's almost as if the game tries to keep the ball within the pitch and even slows the ball down. I would say 90% of the grounds passes/through balls all slow down for some reason & it's horrible combined with the bullet speed passes, the ball goes from unrealistic acceleration to an unrealistic deceleration 'sigh' Other ball physics problems include floaty aerial balls or through balls that seem to slow down mid-air sometimes. On the whole the passing is good but is let down by the inconsistencies in ball physics. Another rubbish thing that happens is shots flying straight up in the air from a keeper with incredible hang time, very wierd.

The overall AI of the game is certainly an improvement from PES 2010, the CPU isn't in a constant spiral of ping-pong keepaway football that was the hallmark of last year's game. I'm even surprised sometimes of the plays/movements. I've also noticed they seem to clip at your attackers more often in midfiled which can result in many fouls, this I like as it presents a mini game between your attacker dribbling through/past a player of holding it up just before threading a ball through & the refs are pretty sharp to spot this. Still notice the odd jog where the the CPU should really by sprinting. However, there is still that looseness to respond and react to situations or balls from your own team AI as well the opposing AI. Just as fluidity, freedom and response has been worked on in this version the reaction and sharpness of the AI has to be targeted as there are moments when it's all not alert enough. Also the game needs to be worked on more in relation to the pitch borders, the player's (controlled & AI) are not alert enough or sometimes feel almost unaware of the part of the pitch they're at and may sometime just ram into a bouncing ball near the touchline.

Other stuff & comments

- Tactical and management side of the game look very deep indeed and I can see lots of fun to be had in setting up teams & mixing things up in the ML, I've never had a

problem with this aspect of the game.

- The game really has removed a ton of the rails through it animations, fluidity & passing system

- Refs are decent & most of the calls I'm honestly fine with, as they are mostly within the realms of believability. Advantage rule seems to be hardly noticeable, 'd say 90% of the time it isn't adhered to at all but I have seen slight instances where I've felt it's been applied ... however this could be down to collision detection, who knows?

- PKs are rubbish

- GKs are horribly animated and move very cumbersome, I've experienced them to be the best in this version then they have been on next gen (not saying much) but they are there, do a job and aren't as rubbish as some of the gameplay videos show but they still have AI issues that let them down. They make good saves sure & are decent enough but there's that element of craziness to them that has been around since PES 08.

Yeah that pretty much is enough for impression but PES 2011 is a respectable game indeed, a game I'm pretty content with and a really solid title. I've played the FIFA 11 demos both on PC/PS3 & there really is a lot to like in this year's Football titles. Whichever way a person goes this year I think they'll be fine as opposed to the last 3 years.

The game is definitely engineered for freedom but it's not perfectly engineered but has great potential.

Although I wouldn't say the King is back, he's definitely not bed ridden anymore.

edit - Also I knuckled a ball with Dani Alves yesterday, wow!! :D

Playing Barca vs Bayer is very good, but playing Inter vs Chivas is just amazing. It' beautiful.

I love the default Inter's fomration. Just made some tweaks, but it' nice to my play style. I love how open wide are the lb's. The freedom of passing I'm having with INter is amazing.

Sorry for my english

Could anyone tell me why i need a pre-paid code for the PES2011 demo for xbox marketplace. The demo is still not available on Market Place when trying to access it console side. When trying to access it from website it then ask me for some code. Have already downloaded the Fifa demo.
Whats up with PES???????????????

Well, after going at it with the game for a couple of days I'm ready to put an impression.

Firstly I couldn't understand why people who had rightly ridiculed PES 2010 (rubbish rubbish game) were suddenly lauding PES 11, really couldn't figure it out as what I saw on the gameplay videos was simply unimpressive. To ensure I got a full appreciation of exactly was going to be different about this version I booted up PES 2010 & (painfully) had 2 games as the '11 demo was downloading.

Now I know I've been hard on PES especially with 2010 (rightfully so) & this is with all the bells & whistles of the PC version but it was really rancid.

Booted up PES 2011 and here are my impressions.

Within a minute I could obviously feel this was a dramatic change over 2010, huge!! Most obvious was the need to use the analogue stick for the first time on PES, actual 100% 360 degree movement is subjective but this game is definitely MUCH less restrictive in movement, mirrors the analogue stick input very well. What I kept thinking whilst playing the game is the whole 'engineered for freedom'

The players are sufficiently mobile & it's clear to see the difference between the more agile and the John Terry kinds. What I was disappointed in is the lack of analogue left stick movement with regard to player acceleration from standstill to jogging it's still basically job & sprint - I believe the changelist for PES 2011 included an analogue approach. Going back to animations, they are a mixed bag but on the whole really are fine and very much acceptable this year but must obviously be worked for PES 2012. This game pretty much is empirical evidence to the importance in harmonizing button input, animation & digital output in producing a believable and satisfying football game.

Playing as Spain v Japan "(PC version) I sent a Xavi aerial through ball to Torres who beat his defender for pace and tried a first time lob as the keeper had slightly come off his line ... I couldn't believe how smooth, fluid, responsive and believable the whole sequence felt & Torres chose the exact best way to attempt the chip (which didn't go in by the way, it's the thought that counts). I was really impressed with some of the contextual animations that appear in the game when trying various shots, passes, moves etc but above all else I find the shooting satisfying especailly as the player seems to position himself much better in the situation they are; something I always admired about FIFA. However there are problems with the animations with blind sided pass animations cropping up quite frequently. Infact there still are many animations that still do not fit the situations but on the whole I can forgive the game with the amount of positive contextual animations that occur especially in the 18 yard area. Almost forgot, the crossing animation is tripe .. the one where you run to the byline and are presented with a pretty repugnant crossing animation. But the game really has MUCH more freedom then any PES before it & almost FIFA to an extent.

Passing is very satisfying and much has been said for the freedom of direction and placement, this adds so much depth to the gameplay and is why a lot of the crowd that went to FIFA since next-gen have been agressive at getting this intergrated into PES. It works really pretty well most of the time and the positives you've heard about this system is pretty much accurate and it can be very rewarding and has a good balance between how you want the pass played and the player's actual ability. However there are some fundamental issues that negate the potential this passing system has, mainly player animation & position with relation to the ball & the ball physics as well as inconsistency in the actual system itself. Personally it sometimes feels like the power bar accounts for the speed of the ball then the actual distance or maybe it is taking into account the player's passing speed but it can really come across as being quite quirky or wonky at times. For instance there are too many times where you'll simply tap the pass button and the player animation is one of a cushioned pass but the ball shoots off at an amazing speed (i.e. a player will be standing almost still and the power of the pass garners more power than it ever should have); the inconsistency can make passing frustrating at times. Another annoying occurrence is seeing passes that do not match the animation & this happens frequently, there are quite a few blindside passes i.e. some of the 90 degree or side passes can be met with a rather unconvincing animation & this on top of the pass speed inconsistency is annoying).

The ball physics in the game are just all over the place, sometimes very realistic and sometimes very glued to the player and very unrealistic, very frustrating. The ball on the whole doesn't enjoy bobbling ... I've notice when the ball does bobble from a standard pass it will maybe bounce once or twice and then plants itself on the surface. This isn't as bad as PES 2010 but it still at an unacceptable level. However, sometimes I see the ball bobbling nicely but mostly when it is a ball that was going out on the onset; it's almost as if the game tries to keep the ball within the pitch and even slows the ball down. I would say 90% of the grounds passes/through balls all slow down for some reason & it's horrible combined with the bullet speed passes, the ball goes from unrealistic acceleration to an unrealistic deceleration 'sigh' Other ball physics problems include floaty aerial balls or through balls that seem to slow down mid-air sometimes. On the whole the passing is good but is let down by the inconsistencies in ball physics. Another rubbish thing that happens is shots flying straight up in the air from a keeper with incredible hang time, very wierd.

The overall AI of the game is certainly an improvement from PES 2010, the CPU isn't in a constant spiral of ping-pong keepaway football that was the hallmark of last year's game. I'm even surprised sometimes of the plays/movements. I've also noticed they seem to clip at your attackers more often in midfiled which can result in many fouls, this I like as it presents a mini game between your attacker dribbling through/past a player of holding it up just before threading a ball through & the refs are pretty sharp to spot this. Still notice the odd jog where the the CPU should really by sprinting. However, there is still that looseness to respond and react to situations or balls from your own team AI as well the opposing AI. Just as fluidity, freedom and response has been worked on in this version the reaction and sharpness of the AI has to be targeted as there are moments when it's all not alert enough. Also the game needs to be worked on more in relation to the pitch borders, the player's (controlled & AI) are not alert enough or sometimes feel almost unaware of the part of the pitch they're at and may sometime just ram into a bouncing ball near the touchline.

Other stuff & comments

- Tactical and management side of the game look very deep indeed and I can see lots of fun to be had in setting up teams & mixing things up in the ML, I've never had a

problem with this aspect of the game.

- The game really has removed a ton of the rails through it animations, fluidity & passing system

- Refs are decent & most of the calls I'm honestly fine with, as they are mostly within the realms of believability. Advantage rule seems to be hardly noticeable, 'd say 90% of the time it isn't adhered to at all but I have seen slight instances where I've felt it's been applied ... however this could be down to collision detection, who knows?

- PKs are rubbish

- GKs are horribly animated and move very cumbersome, I've experienced them to be the best in this version then they have been on next gen (not saying much) but they are there, do a job and aren't as rubbish as some of the gameplay videos show but they still have AI issues that let them down. They make good saves sure & are decent enough but there's that element of craziness to them that has been around since PES 08.

Yeah that pretty much is enough for impression but PES 2011 is a respectable game indeed, a game I'm pretty content with and a really solid title. I've played the FIFA 11 demos both on PC/PS3 & there really is a lot to like in this year's Football titles. Whichever way a person goes this year I think they'll be fine as opposed to the last 3 years.

The game is definitely engineered for freedom but it's not perfectly engineered but has great potential.

Although I wouldn't say the King is back, he's definitely not bed ridden anymore.

edit - Also I knuckled a ball with Dani Alves yesterday, wow!! :D

That what I'm talking I agree about it's certainly not prefect but nothing in this game seems ruins the balance.

You know how in real football, how there's always a story behind every match, no matter how boring or exciting it is. This battle between the defender and attack was crucial, One team got their tactics wrong etc..

I've played the fixture Chivas vs Internacional over 30 times and each match had their own story! Each one felt fresh and seemed to require to adapt to how the other team was playing. I think that's the beauty of this game. for me. Results have varied a lot from me using those two teams also :) A few time's i've won comfortable but in the next game is never the same as the last!

Compared that to FIFA where i played as Leverkusen vs Barcelona on legendary, After 4 games It was so mind numbingly predicable and required no though but just playing round the dreadful AI i actually felt almost depressed after playing that demo. Sapped with energy (or maybe it was just dinner :CONFUSE:) I've scored about 25 goals in about 12 games on the FIFA game and i haven't celebrated or felt good about scoring any of them!

hey dude, you do at least championship and prem with a patch and i think the proper cups..., the pc version is the same and the patches available are ridiculous.. i had one for 2010 and it made the game playable

As we're now in League 1, in Fifa11 I will be competing for promotion, FA Cup, League Cup, Johnson's Paint Trophy, with relegation and 2 promotions possible before potentially European club football, also with hiring and firing etc, PES sadly cannot offer that realistic club experience for me so Fifa's gameplay would have to be terrible and PES' incredible before I looked to take my primary gaming hours away from Fifa.

That what I'm talking I agree about it's certainly not prefect but nothing in this game seems ruins the balance.

You know how in real football, how there's always a story behind every match, no matter how boring or exciting it is. This battle between the defender and attack was crucial, One team got their tactics wrong etc..

I've played the fixture Chivas vs Internacional over 30 times and each match had their own story! Each one felt fresh and seemed to require to adapt to how the other team was playing. I think that's the beauty of this game. for me. Results have varied a lot from me using those two teams also :) A few time's i've won comfortable but in the next game is never the same as the last!

Compared that to FIFA where i played as Leverkusen vs Barcelona on legendary, After 4 games It was so mind numbingly predicable and required no though but just playing round the dreadful AI i actually felt almost depressed after playing that demo. Sapped with energy (or maybe it was just dinner :CONFUSE:) I've scored about 25 goals in about 12 games on the FIFA game and i haven't celebrated or felt good about scoring any of them!

Nah klash, I think we have two decent games of football this year with FIFA a lot more polished and further along but that's not saying that PES doesn't have great growth potential because it does. Although that is pretty obvious from where they come from but what they are trying to do to the franchise is refreshing.

FIFA 11 does have it's issues but I think you get what you put in, if you want to score the same goals ... play it that way but it still affords me to freedom to play however I like & have produced very satisfying and different goals.

I really didn't think PES Productions had it in them to bring PES back from last year's dire state ... this one is really enjoyable. A very good leap this year

Last edited:
As we're now in League 1, in Fifa11 I will be competing for promotion, FA Cup, League Cup, Johnson's Paint Trophy, with relegation and 2 promotions possible before potentially European club football, also with hiring and firing etc, PES sadly cannot offer that realistic club experience for me so Fifa's gameplay would have to be terrible and PES' incredible before I looked to take my primary gaming hours away from Fifa.

Well it's 100% true if your a fan of a team int he lower leagues of England FIFA gives you a better experience in terms of being able to actually play with your team and play in the lower leagues. Just can't stand to play a game in which every match will be the same thing, once you find the golden tactic, it's win, after win after win.

BTW did you see that youtube serious (The Manager mode show) I which a guy played on legendary with Reading, in his first season back to the prem he almost wont the league :CONFUSE: Same tactic, average players, same goals! Really hope that's not the case in the new career mode.

My PES 2011 Demo Impressions...

Positives:
++++++++++

+ Passing... WOW. took me about 1-2 minutes and then it clicked. At first it felt cumbersome - I was trying to hard to use the power bar. In the end I just ignored the power bar and pressed pass like I used to 2010, so it felt more like a hugely accurate 2010.

+ Player touch... much better, quicker and easy to shunt the ball in specific directions with forethought.

+ Physicality... 2010 was fairly good for the hustle and bustle in trying to win the way (and defend it) but 2011 feels almost perfect to me.

+ Shooting... Having a way easier time with normal/bread and butter shots, this is good for confidence when first playing the demo, but it could be bad though (see below)...

+ Fouls... seems like a better flowing game to me now, and cards I have got were justified.

Negatives:
==========

- Shooting... I now find it too easy to score the easy goals on Professional. This was NOT the case in the PES 2010 demo, and in the Final Build / Retail of PES 2010 Professional is a cakewalk. This could be the first time I ramp a demo straight to Top Player within the first day. (Shouldn't we be playing TOP PLAYER AFTER MONTHS KONAMI? Felt like that was the case in the PS2 editions of PES...!) In the final 10 mins of a game after some decent CPU fightback, it's too easy to beat the CPU with the easy attacks we all have no doubt become subliminally conformed to using after 1000's of games over the years. Harder goals, volleys and heading I am having problems with.

- Playing Camera Angle... just give me the "Classic"/2010 style please instead of this forced angle rubbish (but I am sure you will be able to change it in Final Build?)

- Replay Camera Angles... like going from PES3 to PES4 on PS2, they have ruined the replay playback. Why change it if it ain't broken...??? that's video game developer 101!

Played 2010 after the demo and I noticed:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Felt like passing was hard work, passing became a slight error-fest again... and I KNOW I was pointing in the right direction...!

> Player control, touch and animation was more rigid, for sure.

> 2010 was harder to score, maybe more so now because I was missing the better playability. Also maybe because I have not played 2010 in a while, although I was thrashing it senseless on Top Player at the end of playing it.

I must say I loved 2010 though, but like EVERY YEAR, I think I'll do the same thing... bitch and moan and then 6 months later I'll praise it's subtleties. It's just the PES way - it's a grower...

Oh, and FIFA 11 Demo is totally up in the air for me. Can't tell if I like it or hate it.

The "personality" features EA have raved about, to me, feel like they at a level of PES6 on PS2 - FIFA's players are still not as individual and influencing on the game as the PES series as a whole, and definitely not as strong as 2011.

When you have Messi in the PES 2011 or Torres in the WE 2011 demos you KNOW it's them - in FIFA it's just not that of a polar enough difference in player styles.

Last edited:

i thought u hated MM on fifa 10?

Why not play football manager instead ;)

quick impressions

positives :

- passing system
- tactics screen
- new defending system
- first touch
- new animations are good, mostly
- AI no more plays one touch passing game

negatives :
- passes slow down at the end of their trajectory
- gk animations, ouch
- shots dont have powers in them, freekicks are fine though

thats what i can wrap up in a simple post, had only played 4 games so far, used all teams available. and you can feel the massive difference between using barca/bayern and inter/chivas. i was struggling to create chances using the copa teams, though i wasnt having it easy with the uefa teams as well.

i need to get used to the passing system, as it feels very deep but i have a problem. ive never in my live used the L2 button in a pes game, so i feel a bit awkward and keep mixing it up with the L1 button. player switching is the same from 2010, which is bad, but ive got used to it now :LOL:

still learning to use the jockey system, how do you implement it properly in a game? and how do you put a dip or swerve into your shots?

off to play more games, ill come back when i spot more brilliance or bugs in this game :D

quick impressions

positives :

- passing system
- tactics screen
- new defending system
- first touch
- new animations are good, mostly
- AI no more plays one touch passing game

negatives :
- passes slow down at the end of their trajectory
- gk animations, ouch
- shots dont have powers in them, freekicks are fine though

thats what i can wrap up in a simple post, had only played 4 games so far, used all teams available. and you can feel the massive difference between using barca/bayern and inter/chivas. i was struggling to create chances using the copa teams, though i wasnt having it easy with the uefa teams as well.

i need to get used to the passing system, as it feels very deep but i have a problem. ive never in my live used the L2 button in a pes game, so i feel a bit awkward and keep mixing it up with the L1 button. player switching is the same from 2010, which is bad, but ive got used to it now :LOL:

still learning to use the jockey system, how do you implement it properly in a game? and how do you put a dip or swerve into your shots?

off to play more games, ill come back when i spot more brilliance or bugs in this game :D

Just apply exactly the same fundamentals as real life. For power, make sure the ball is out of your feet, your balance and posture are correct, ideally when your not being put under pressure the sprint to attack it when it is out of your feet. Make sure your distance is correct and in the players stride pattern. Be aware of what foot each player is using. I have no issue getting power, and it's only the last couple of days I have been consistently keeping them low. The bend will be player related, but hold left or right, forward or back, and a mixture of all four for spin. R2 and shoot will replace power for precision, and best used with players with higher technique.

I'm having one of those it clicks, it does not click days.
Right now i'm in the not click fase.
Played Barca/Bayern, lost 2-0. The game felt clunky.
Then went to play the fifa 11 demo. Non stop action, but unrealistically so. Too much pressure, no time on the ball.
So, went back to pes demo (i know, switching between them doesnt help getter better at either of them) and played the south american teams.
Playing copa is for me much better then playing with the big teams.
I miss the old camera view. Wide cam makes the game look ugly. normal long doesn't give me a good view of my other players.

Maybe it has to grow on me some more, but right now i'm disappointed in the pes demo. Its clunky, its rigid. Everyone is saying how smooth it is.
It is when you compare it to pes2009 and 2010. But not as smooth as Fifa plays, with regards to dribbling and player movement.
I know in Fifa players can turn on a dime, and i dont want that. I like the momentum that pes has, but i miss the fluidity of fifa.
As much as pes has improved this year, its to me too sluggish/rigid/clunky to really enjoy.

Who knows i'll think differently after 20 more games.
But if i have to decide right now, i'm not buying either game. Which means another year of pes6 with multiple patches, such as the history of football patch which i really love because of the nostalgia.'
I'm not claiming pes6 is the better game in terms of realistic football/sim, but untill now it gives me more joy then any of the next gen pes games.

Having not played PES since PES 2008, I thought I'd give the demo ago after getting bored by the Fifa demo after a few games. Here's some quick impressions after about 10 games;

PROS

+ Feels way more organic than Fifa, every game is different.
+ There's a huge variety in situations occuring in the games, and in the ways in which one scores (as opposed to Fifa), and I absolutely love this.
+ Passing system is fine.
+ Graphics are very nice. It's lovely to get that visual atmosphere back (Fifa is definitely lacking it). Lovely to play at Camp Nou.
+ Animations are very often good and corresponding to what you actually do on the field (though there are some really odd errors in this too).
+ I like how a game can shift from slow to fast in a few moments, especially when counter attacking.

CONS

- Shooting. Haven't quite figured it out yet, but getting better. Feels like a bit of a balloon too often, but this might change once I get the hang of it.
- Goalkeepers are shit at times, not rushing out when they are supposed to, and when they do, they don't actually get the ball.
- Some of the rebounds from the keeper seem a bit too fast/speedy/hard/unrealistic.
- Some awkward animations here and there at times.

Well, that's my five cents for now. Back to the game. Overall quite suprised and pleased that PES is back in the frame, as Fifa has become a kind of scripted monster, where every game (and every goal) is more or less the same.
-

I've heard a few people complain about the crossing, but I really like it.

You have 6 places to aim - by holding the direction when you press the cross button you can direct the cross, attacking left to right on the right wing;

No direction = Around the penalty spot
Up = Far post
Down = Near post
Left = Pulled back
Right = Closer to the keeper
And then there's the up-left, down-right etc. combinations.

Then you have the different types of cross;

Single tap = Regular whipped cross
Double tap = Driven, lower, more powerful cross (nearly scored from one of these!)
Triple tap = Ground cross
R2 + Cross = Lofted cross
L2 + Cross = Manual cross
L2 + R2 + Cross = Lofted manual cross

There may be even more options I have not yet tried (R2 or L2 + double tap?) but from what I know at the moment there are 8 aiming options and 6 cross types, so you have 48 different options and you have to choose the right one in a split-second and create the space/wait for the right moment before you do it!

I don't think it's bad at all, just very difficult and will take A LOT of getting used to!

Oh, and the heading is great too :).

Last edited by a moderator:
To make a more trivial point, I have to say that the Camp Nou at night looks almost sexual in this game. I really do think Konami have got the stadium visuals, lighting and pitch textures absolutely nailed this year. And this is the PS3 version which I'm happy to say looks crisp and vibrant. Good job Konami.

demo is much improved in comparison with beta (added whole defence jostling and such, collisions, better gk, strict ref, smoother movement etc) BUT

I have to say I had lot more fun in MLO beta than in this demo, cpu is not competitive at all, I'm glad I could see how exciting and emotional this game is online, online mode is where the real game will take place

so I'm using this demo just to develop my playstyle for online purposes :] but really, demo is not enough for me, knowing what's to come

last time I bought PES was 2009 edition (I trusted Adam...) which was rubbish, but this time around I have no doubts that 2011 will last whole season like PES5/6 did

Back
Top Bottom