Nintendo DS / 3DS / Wii / Wii U

Re: Nintendo Wii

Anyone here aware of just how fun Mario Strikers is?

Been playing it with a few friends lately, really genuinely a good laugh to play.

Better than PES2008 either way...

Wow... tumble weeds in here :(

I've just (re)brought a Wii as me and the missus wanted Wii Fit. Now joy in Colchester though and nothing online! Its harder to get than the bloody Wii.

Did get Mario Kart though which I think is awesome (cannot wait to try it online tomorrow) and I am actually looking forward to getting Mario Galaxy. Not normally my sort of thing, but I'm intrigued by so many glowing 10/10 reviews.

Will probably also get "No More Heroes" - but what else have I missed out on since I swapped my last Wii for a 360 at the back end of last year?

Got given MarioKart at the weekend and I love it so far. I'm impressed with the wheel too (to me, it works much better with drift set to Auto) but I think if you want to set really, really good lap times you need to use the GC controller.

I got bored of Mario Galaxy after a few days - it looks great, but it felt very samey every level. I might re-visit somewhere down the line but I wouldn't recommend it as a 'must'.

I've been collecting the games for the Wii like they are going out of fashion... got 19 now in little over 2 weeks! :LOL:

Not really a duffer amongst them, though I am struggling to get into Resi4 at the moment. Ghost Squad is great fun (with the gun) and I've just ordered House of the Dead, so that'll be cool.

Galaxy is pretty good - like it as a chill out type game as its fun and doesnt require a lot of thinking. Paper Mario is good too and I'm liking The Bigs as well.

Great console... better than a 360! :LOL: (just kidding folks!)

I thought Res 4 was one of the best games on the Wii, by a fair bit.

Didn't like Mario Strikers, a bit rubbish really.

Anyone played that Spielberg game?

I've heard it's supposed to be fun

Yea, "Boom Blox" - its quality. So easy to play, literally anyone from 3-90 can play it. Its literally 'throwing a ball at a pile of stuff'.

If anyone cannot do that, then they need a labotomy.

There is also a Jenga type level as well which is really well done and a basic FPS type version.

Great game, everyone loves it. Didnt do commercially well which is odd.

Oh, its got a level creator too!

Guys got the chance to pick one of these up on the cheap off my cousin if I want to...is it worth it? I wouldbe looking to get the WiiKey so I can play backups. Just wondering whats the deal with these, do you need to send them off for people to install them or what?

Get one, they are great! :))

Mario Kart Wii/Super Smash Bros Brawl alone are worth getting a Wii for.

(EDIT: Not to mention Super Mario Galaxy and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

Last edited:

Guys got the chance to pick one of these up on the cheap off my cousin if I want to...is it worth it? I wouldbe looking to get the WiiKey so I can play backups. Just wondering whats the deal with these, do you need to send them off for people to install them or what?

This post is relevent to my interests...

Lemme know if you go for it and if you get a WiiKey.

Infact, if anyone has a Wiikey, please PM me!

I had a Wiikey when I had a Wii, worked a treat! There's probably better chips out now though.

I sent mine off to a guy in Newcastle, think it cost me £70 for the chip, fitting it and return postage by Special Delivery back to me.

I had a Wiikey when I had a Wii, worked a treat! There's probably better chips out now though.

I sent mine off to a guy in Newcastle, think it cost me £70 for the chip, fitting it and return postage by Special Delivery back to me.

Ouch, thats steep - I'd look for someone local (must be a little indie shop in Colchester doing it?).

I'd only really want it for MLB Power Pros. Got most of the games I want now, so backups wont interest me.

http://xbox-entertainment.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=63_65

Here's a good place anyways. It's trusted as I have bought quite a few bits and bobs off there and had my PS2 done there ;)).

Bad thing is, it is £70 which includes them picking it up and re-delivering it back.

Some of the chips these days are solderless anyways like the Argon, all you have to do it fit it in place then leave the trailing wire out of the SD card slot so you can update the modchip when a new update becomes available. Save you a bunch of money.

Despite the fact that it ships with a DVD drive, for whatever godforsaken reason, the Nintendo Wii doesn't support DVD playback—until last week, that is, when a homebrew hacker released a tool that enables DVD playback on your Wii. The best part? You don't have to crack open your Wii or disturb your hardware in any way to install it. Let's take a detailed look at how to softmod your Wii with the Twilight hack to run homebrew apps. Then I'll show you how to install the Wii port of the open source media player, mplayer, to turn your Wii into a DVD (or should I say WiiVD?) player.

http://lifehacker.com/400581/hack-your-wii-for-homebrew-apps-and-dvd-playback

What You'll Need
Since we're going to be doing a softmod of your Wii (i.e., we're not modifying any hardware), you don't really need much to accomplish this hack.

twilight-princess.png

* Nintendo Wii
* An FAT16-Formatted SD Memory Card (more on this below)
* The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ($50)
* The Wii Brew SD Installer (Windows)
* A Windows PC with an SD card reader

NOTE: I'm doing this all on a Windows PC, but you can manually install the Twilight Hack if you don't have access to a Windows PC.

The secret sauce lies in the Twilight Princess game. Essentially, we're going to load a fake game into Twilight Princess that exploits a buffer overflow and allows you install homebrew software on your Wii.

Sound complicated? Figuring it out may have been, but the excellent Wii hackers have made exploiting the Twilight hack is a cinch.

Hacking Your Wii for Homebrew

00-format-disk.pngTo get started, plug your SD card into your computer. It needs to be formatted as a FAT16 filesystem, so find the SD card in My Computer and format it by right-clicking, selecting Format, and setting FAT as your file system. (If you have trouble formatting your SD card this way, try out the SD Card Formatter.)

Now it's time to prepare the SD card with the Twilight Hack. If you haven't already, download the Wii Brew SD Installer. When you've got it, make sure your SD card is plugged in and run the installer. The installer is fairly self-explanatory, but I'll walk you through it.

Choose Your Install Location

This should match the location of the SD card you just formatted above.
Select the Homebrew Features and Twilight Hack
Now you need to select the packages you want to install on your SD card (and, eventually, your Wii). I'd suggest selecting the Homebrew Channel (in fact, you need to if you want this to work), the Homebrew Browser, and DVDX (you'll need this last one for DVD playback). Make sure to select the Twilight Hack that matches your region. Hit Next and the Wii SD Installer will copy all the necessary files to your SD card.

Take Note of Your Twilight Princess Disc

If you're in the U.S., your copy of Twilight Princess is one of three different versions. One of the versions of the disc requires that you use a different save slot when we load the game later on, so just take note of the text on the inner circle of the bottom of the Twilight Princess game disc. (I needed TwilightHack2, for example.)

Perform the Twilight Hack on Your Wii
sd-card-in.pngBy this point, your SD card is officially prepared for your Wii. Unplug it from your computer and move over to your Wii. Plug it in and power up your Wii. At this point, you'll need to erase your current Twilight Princess saved game, copy the Twilight hack to your Wii, and execute it in Twilight Princess. (If you haven't played the game and created a save slot, you should do that before proceeding.) The video below from the WiiBrew folks details exactly how to do this.

NOTE: If the installation froze after you loaded the saved game and talked to the man, chances are you need to use the other saved game.

You'll need to accept a disclaimer and go through a few other screens to finish the installation (just use the 1 button on your Wiimote to accept). When it completes, head back to the Wii menu. The glorious new Wii Homebrew Channel awaits.

Turn Your Wii into a DVD Player

Now that you've got the Homebrew Channel installed, setting up DVD support is a breeze. Fire up your the Homebrew Channel from the main Wii menu and you should see the DVDx installer and Homebrew Browser. Click on the DVDx installer and run through the prompt. Hit A to select Normal install unless you've installed a modchip in your Wii. (If you're following this guide, chances are you don't have a modchip.) You've finished the first step.

Now you need to shut off your Wii and plug the SD card back into your computer, because it's time to install mplayer, the app that will play back DVDs on your Wii. You can download it from the HackMii web site at the bottom of this post. (Mplayer appears to be available in the Homebrew Browser, but it's not the version that supports DVD playback, so make sure you download it manually.)

After you've downloaded it, copy the entire mplayer folder to the apps folder on your SD card. Now just take the SD card back to your Wii, plug it in, and run the Homebrew Channel again. This time you should see mplayer next to your other installed apps, like below.

To play back a DVD, just fire up mplayer, insert a DVD, and select the Play DVD option in the mplayer menu. You'll notice two Play DVD menu items, the second of which reads Play DVD (libdvdnav). The libdvdnav attempts to use the built-in DVD menu, while the other just plays the first title. Unfortunately libdvdnav doesn't really work correctly with the Wiimote yet, but it looks to be on its way.

It takes a few seconds for mplayer to start playing the DVD, but once it does it plays without a hitch (or at least it has in all my experience). Thanks to YouTube, here's what it looks like:

The Wiimote/Gamecube controller playback shortcuts work as follows:

A - Pause
B - OSD
1/X - Toggle on screen menu
RIGHT - Seek 10s forward
LEFT - Seek 10s backward
UP - Seek 60s forward
DOWN - Seek 60s backward
+/R - Seek to the next chapter
-/L - Seek to the previous chapter
HOME/Z - Quit

What Else?
Once you've got your Wii opened up to homebrew apps, you've unlocked all kinds of potential, including emulators for old-school gaming consoles, different media players, and other utilities. If you've already got the Homebrew channel running on your Wii, let's hear what homebrew apps you've been using and loving in the comments. If the very idea of hacking your Wii sends shivers down your spine but you'd still like to squeeze out more functionality, check out how to use your Wii as a media center.

Adam Pash is a senior editor for Lifehacker whose multitasking Wii has cemented its spot next to his TV. His special feature Hack Attack appears every Tuesday on Lifehacker. Subscribe to the Hack Attack RSS feed to get new installments in your newsreader.

Re: Nintendo DS

I'll try asap :). Thanks DagsJT.
edit : it's good, nicely done.

Any news about the release date of Professor Layton 2, in english ???

Last edited:

Haven't seen anything yet, I didn't even finish the first one. I'm not clever enough :((

Ohhhh sounds interesting! BOTH screens are touch-sensitive though? Not sure how that'll work with games unless the game asks if you have a DS or DSi and gives you an option of using the extra screen.

Third version of the DS now, I bet people who own the DS Phat wont be impressed.

Sounds cool, and out in a few weeks too (Japan) - they dont muck around do they!

Good to see things like Mii's, browser and shop on the DS. Bringing it into line as a Wii 'little brother'.

Nintendo has confirmed to Eurogamer that the new DSi handheld will only have one touch screen - just like the DS Lite.

Our old friend Internet Reports has been up to his old tricks, spreading rumours that a second touch screen was mentioned in this morning's press conference.

LIES, says Nintendo, in a nice way. "As per the current DS model, DSi features one touch screen," a representative told us.

Still - both the screens will be bigger, as previously reported.

DSi will launch in Japan on November 1st, with a European launch to follow in the spring.

Take a peek at our gallery to see how it'll look.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=249526

I hope by downloadable software they mean something similar to the Wii Virtual Console now that would be superb, to take those games on the move.

Arggghhh! First they bring out the DS, people think it's a bit bulky so they bring out the DS Lite, and now this! Bah! Still, I shouldn't complain because I probably will buy one of these one day, they look nice. I'll have to be more careful with that though if it's smaller. I hope that the DLC is virtual console games too, I'd love to get all the Mario and Zelda games for it.

Back
Top Bottom