Microsoft Xbox 360

Re: XBox 360 - Official Thread

I'm still happy with my decision not to pre order. Still gonna wait until early next year. Console will be cheaper, and so will some of the games. :)

Got this email message from Play.com yesterday.

Play said:
Dear Customer,

We have been informed by Microsoft that they have not produced enough Xbox 360 consoles to satisfy the demand in Europe. For this reason we regret to advise you that we are unable to guarantee the delivery of your pre-ordered console before Christmas. We are working closely with our suppliers to ensure all orders are fulfilled as close to launch date as possible. However, if you wish to cancel your pre-order please do so by visiting ‘My Account’ and following the instructions at Play.com.

We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause.

Kind Regards,

Play

So I don't know what do now. Surely if they can't satisfy the pre-order demand in Europe, then there won't be any Premium packages spare come release day?

Not good man, all I know is that I was number 2 on my list at my local Game, so I'm hoping I'm on the definitly getting one list. My only advice is the same as what some people have said on here, that come the day of release some places that dont pre-order, the likes of Tesco, Asda, Argos and not sure about Woolies will actually have some stock on a first come, first served system, i.e. you'll be out queuing to get a Premium Pack, I could also see the same places actually only having Core Packs, mainly because it is a cheaper item.

That was a real kick in the nutsack email though.

Mikey, as for thinking the console will be cheaper in the new year, this time MS don't have a price war competitor, and frankly I cant see a price cut until next Christmas. Games may drop a fiver, but I'm doubt it will be soon, look for non sellers to drop

Last edited:

There you go then, all who were skeptical about the supposed 'shortage', myself included, have just filled their pants.

I'm off to borrow a tent and pre-order my plot in Asda's carpark.

Just been speaking to a fella XBoxer there, he says everyone who ordered from Play got that email, but I'm still doubting they have much clout when he came to asking MS for some 360's please..........

I did warn you guys about this several pages back!

Amazon have had virtually exactly the same message on their site for about a month now.

I am second on my HMVs list but like i said before i am the games buyer so everything games goes through me so i AM getting one.

I guess people didnt learn with the PSP?

A worldwide release yet people think that a month and a half before launch youd be guaranteed one?

People never learn as demand was always gonna be high due to being the first next gen console! Oh well!

What about Amazon. I pre-ordered mine from there it says delivery estimate- 1st or 2nd December. Hopefully they wont postpone that

Noted said:
What about Amazon. I pre-ordered mine from there it says delivery estimate- 1st or 2nd December. Hopefully they wont postpone that

Amazon are in the same situation as everyone else, the delivery estimate is irrelavent I'm afraid. They have had the following message up on their site for a about a month.

"[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1]We have been informed that the Xbox 360 will be in short supply on the day of release, and, unfortunately, this means we can't guarantee that pre-orders will be delivered by day of release. We are working with our suppliers to ensure that we fulfil all orders as soon as possible, and will ship the consoles as soon as we receive them."[/SIZE][/FONT]

Obviously I am hoping that everyone gets their console, but until I see my order status change to dispatching - I ain't getting my hopes up.

Holio said:
Mikey, as for thinking the console will be cheaper in the new year, this time MS don't have a price war competitor, and frankly I cant see a price cut until next Christmas. Games may drop a fiver, but I'm doubt it will be soon, look for non sellers to drop

Well I don't need a 360 on launch day, that's for sure. I'm willing to wait a while before I get one. There's not much on the 360 which takes my fancy at the moment anyway.

Mikey said:
Well I don't need a 360 on launch day, that's for sure. I'm willing to wait a while before I get one. There's not much on the 360 which takes my fancy at the moment anyway.

same ere :|

If you live in North America, you can have a shot of the 360 pad right now. They're on sale for PC, and come with a driver which allows them to work. You can also then use them for your 360 when it comes out, as well as use the pads that come with the 360 on your PC - basically the pad is compatible with the PC and it's out now, $40.

This is the wired version mind, nothing has been said about the wireless one.

That's great news. The x360 pad being compatible with the PC.

Oh well, still undecided if I should buy the 360 or not. :\
but looking how things are going it won't be till the new year b4 I get my hands on one.

So the X360 games will be on HD DVD right? But it wont be able to play HD DVD films, correct?

nope mate just dual layer dvds :( pretty much why a lot of japanese rpg developers have been complaining about lack of space.

Microsoft do however plan to bring out a HD DVD drive in the future. Not too sure how you'd be able to upgrade your existing xbox 360 with it though.

Lack of Space?? who makes a game 8 GIG in size these days? lol

DJ

Adonis said:
nope mate just dual layer dvds :( pretty much why a lot of japanese rpg developers have been complaining about lack of space.

Microsoft do however plan to bring out a HD DVD drive in the future. Not too sure how you'd be able to upgrade your existing xbox 360 with it though.
Mmm... well thats bad. PS3 will use BluRay games right?

djdavedoc said:
Lack of Space?? who makes a game 8 GIG in size these days? lol

DJ
Sony! 8)

PS2 used DL DVD's, so that surpasses at least the 4.1 GB line.
Examples are GTA:SA and GT4 (not sure about this last one). DMC3 used 2 DVD's.

But games keep getting bigger and bigger. If no one made games that went beyond or reached the 8GB line, there wouldn't much sense into making the PS3 bluray compatible. Of course in the beginning they will still use DVD's for PS3.

Revan said:
Sony! 8)

But games keep getting bigger and bigger. If no one made games that went beyond or reached the 8GB line, there wouldn't much sense into making the PS3 bluray compatible.

I do agree that games are getting bigger and bigger so a larger disk format will be needed eventually. However, current games that max 8GB are mainly due to poor/lazy coding and shitty compression technologies. And there is a perfect reason for the shift to BluRay for the PS3, it's proprietry technology so they want to force the market down that route. Having BluRay in the PS3 is just a no brainer for sony.

Heres a thought....

My mate's PS2 broke last night.....second time he's gonna get it replaced. This is not the only case - as it is widely known that the PS2 is quite poorly built and most lasers muck up after 1-2 years.

The situation with the PS2 when it was released was that DVDs were quite new technology back then and a DVD player would have cost you way over £300.

The PS2 was initially sold for the same price *as well as being a high spec games machine*. Sony must have cut costs somewhere!

IMHO, I think this will be the same case with the PS3. I know its a while away, but BluRay players are rumoured to cost in their hundreds (naturally). The PS3 is gonna be expensive even without the BluRay drive and it has to be competitive with the XBox360.

My guess is that there will be a lot of broken PS3 lasers soon = ridicously high repair costs :(

Last edited:

Sony have a track record for putting poor parts in their consoles, both PS1 and PS2 had severe laser problems. I had bits replaced in my PS1 to do with the laser and I'm already on my second PS2 laser, which now doesn't read DVDs. So I think you could be right regarding the PS3's laser, especially new technology and all.

rockykabir said:
Heres a thought....

My mate's PS2 broke last night.....second time he's gonna get it replaced. This is not the only case - as it is widely known that the PS2 is quite poorly built and most lasers muck up after 1-2 years.

The situation with the PS2 when it was released was that DVDs were quite new technology back then and a DVD player would have cost you way over £300.

The PS2 was initially sold for the same price *as well as being a high spec games machine*. Sony must have cut costs somewhere!

IMHO, I think this will be the same case with the PS3. I know its a while away, but BluRay players are rumoured to cost in their hundreds (naturally). The PS3 is gonna be expensive even without the BluRay drive and it has to be competitive with the XBox360.

My guess is that there will be a lot of broken PS3 lasers soon = ridicously high repair costs :(

True but you have to remember they buy in bulk......big bulk lol. I heard sony are paying about £100 for each blu-ray drive.

ReActor said:
I do agree that games are getting bigger and bigger so a larger disk format will be needed eventually. However, current games that max 8GB are mainly due to poor/lazy coding and shitty compression technologies. And there is a perfect reason for the shift to BluRay for the PS3, it's proprietry technology so they want to force the market down that route. Having BluRay in the PS3 is just a no brainer for sony.
True, sony using blu-ray on the ps3 since it's theirs, but it was just an example, I could have used HD-DVD aswell.

Clear one doubt for me. Is the x360 compatible with HD-DVD out of the box? I mean reading HD-DVD movies?

ClassicD said:
Sony have a track record for putting poor parts in their consoles, both PS1 and PS2 had severe laser problems. I had bits replaced in my PS1 to do with the laser and I'm already on my second PS2 laser, which now doesn't read DVDs. So I think you could be right regarding the PS3's laser, especially new technology and all.

that's true. It has been the downside of the Playstation brand. Both the console and the pads have little quality in the building materials. :\

PS: My PS2 has gone bananas. A quick one: Is the xbox gonna drop the price? If the repair for my ps2 is too expensive, I migh buy one, just cause of pre evo anyway. I might even take the chance and buy one of those packs bundled with Halo or Forza Motorsport.

Last edited by a moderator:

Revan said:
Is the xbox gonna drop the price? If the repair for my ps2 is too expensive, I migh buy one, just cause of pre evo anyway. I might even take the chance and buy one of those packs bundled with Halo or Forza Motorsport.

I'm not sure the orginal XB will drop too much before Christmas, mainly because it appears the XB360 will be in short supply, so when it sells out and people are looking a console the XB is still there at a pretty alright price, however I would expect game bundles with the console to be loads better, look out for a the HALO Triple Pack too, the two games and the map disc bundled for about 30 quid on their own!!!!

Revan said:
Clear one doubt for me. Is the x360 compatible with HD-DVD out of the box? I mean reading HD-DVD movies?

For the final time, the 360 only has DVD at the moment. HD-DVD is something that might be added on in the future.

Back
Top Bottom