Microsoft Xbox 360

Re: XBox 360 - Official Thread

Anyone found out what the script is with Live yet? I currently have a yearly subscription, but it's up on November 23rd, fecking great timing I must say. :roll:

I dunno whether to just let it auto-subscribe me for another 12 months or cancel it, as I'll be trading my XBox in against the 360 and haven't got a clue what the Live situation is. I want to keep my tag so I don't need to change friends list or anything, but I'm not wanting to sign up for another year if I can't use that on 360.

Current subscriptions will automatically turn into a Gold account subscription.

Doesnt the people who are subscribed to xbox live just transfer straight to xbox360 live gold? Tag stays the same as far as I know.

edit : I agree with Ike! :)

Current subscriptions will be transferred across from the Xbox to the 360 Gold service. Pricing details are as follows....

Microsoft announces North American Xbox Live 2.0 pricing
Subscriptions via dashboard priced, confirmed; long-term prices stay steady, one-month subscriptions rise.

At the end of August, online retailers began listing product pages for subscription rates for the next generation of Xbox Live, sometimes referred to as Xbox Live 2.0. The prices barely differed from those of the current generation of Xbox Live, with only the minimal one-month plans rising in price and extra incentive pushed onto goodie-laden Xbox Live packages.

As noted before, Xbox Live Silver memberships will be free to all Xbox 360 owners. This basic level of service includes the ability to create a gamer profile, to send and receive text and voice messages, to access the Xbox Live Marketplace and download content, demos, and trailers, and to buy simple game features in the Xbox Live Arcade.

The Gold memberships include all the features of the Silver level, plus the ability to play online games, access enhanced matchmaking, and gain exclusive privileges and rewards on Xbox Live Marketplace.

Microsoft today officially announced the pricing for Xbox Live 2.0, confirming that the retailers had it right. The list of basic Xbox Live Gold subscription rates is as follows:

One-month subscription: $7.99 (CND$8.99)
Three-month subscription: $19.99 (CND$24.99)
12-month subscription:$49.99 (CND$59.99)

The above plans can be purchased directly through the Xbox Live dashboard with a credit card or can be bought at retailers in the form of subscription cards.

Gamers looking to spend a little more and get some value in return can focus their attention on the Xbox Live Gold packages. They come in three-month and 12-month plans and can be purchased from retailers. They break down as follows:

Three-month Xbox Live Premium Gold Pack
• All Gold-level features
• Joust (Xbox Live Arcade game)
• Xbox 360 Headset
• $10 mail-in game rebate coupon good for any Xbox 360 game
• 100 Microsoft points for use on Xbox Live Marketplace
• SRP: $39.99

12-month Xbox Live Premium Gold Pack
• All Gold-level features
• Bankshot Billiards (Xbox Live Arcade game)
• Xbox 360 Headset
• $20 mail-in game rebate coupon good for any Xbox 360 game
• 200 Microsoft points for use on Xbox Live Marketplace
• SRP: $69.99

Those hoping for a hint at the release date of the Xbox 360 weren't thrown any bones. Microsoft states the release date for the new Xbox Live services as "this holiday."

Microsoft also touted the current state of Xbox Live, which now has more than a billion hours logged. Houston, Texas, claims the top spot as the "Live"liest city in the world, with London taking the top spot outside of the United States. Almost a third of Xbox Live gamers are in the prime demographic of 18 to 30 years of age, and more than a third are currently raking in an estimated $60,000 a year or more.

First-person shooters are the top choice among Live users, with Halo 2, Rainbow Six 3, and Counter-Strike taking the top three spots. Though wargames dominate the top 10 list, Microsoft Game Studios' Project Gotham Racing 2 snuck into the number four slot. The top 10 list is as follows:

Rank / Title
1. Halo 2
2. Rainbow Six 3
3. Counter-Strike
4. Project Gotham Racing 2
5. MechAssault
6. Rainbow Six: Black Arrow
7. Ghost Recon
8. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2
9. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
10. Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge

I know this is the North American pricing but you can guestimate what the UK prices will be.

Ah right no probs then, well maybe one - if I'm trading in the old Xboxio for the new machine, is there any way to 'turn off' the account on it so whoever gets it isn't going to use it, until I get my 360?

btw that top 10 list has far too many shooters :(.

I'm not sure if I will keep my Live subscription. I'm not excited about console shooters at all, and I miss some creative and exciting multiplayer games for XBox. Even a great sports franchise like Links didn't get a new version, so I guess for the 360 they will be focussing even more on what the average gamer likes, which is basically war, war, some racing and more war.

Mine runs out soon and I have no way of cancelling it, anyway I can do it by phone or something before the auto-renew it?

ClassicD said:
Ah right no probs then, well maybe one - if I'm trading in the old Xboxio for the new machine, is there any way to 'turn off' the account on it so whoever gets it isn't going to use it, until I get my 360?

btw that top 10 list has far too many shooters :(.

Isn't there a Xbox Live profile on the harddrive like a gamesave? I'm gonna be selling my Xbox once the confirmed backwards compatible games are announced. That way my new machine will cost me just over 100quid (I've sold my cube too) - so that ain't bad.

j4y3m, I think you just go into your account on Live and cancel it there, by putting in the last 4 digits of the credit card used to originally sign up to it. I'm going to have a look today anyway to see if there's any way of removing my account from the machine whilst not deleting the actual account itself, as I want it for 360.

Yup Ike, there are far too many shooters on there, which for me isn't so much about too much of a genre but that I just can't comprehend how anyone likes using a pad for those games, it's like playing with your hands tied together compared to mouse and keyboard. I'm worried that 90% of Live games on 360 will be FPS' as well.

ClassicD said:
j4y3m, I think you just go into your account on Live and cancel it there, by putting in the last 4 digits of the credit card used to originally sign up to it.
Lots of problems here..

1. I don't have the credit card used to sign up anymore.
2. I can't even connect anyway when my subscription lasts till the end of October.
3. My Xbox is soft-modded (for patching PES) and I might get banned before I can cancel it (though I suspect they wont charge you if they do this).

It's all just a mess, so what happens if Microsoft try and take money but there's none in the account (it's just a visa electron)?

I'd just give them I call and ask them. However note that if you're banned, they will only ban your XBox and not the account, so you will still have to cancel it seperately.

They shouldn't auto-renew things anyway, stupid Microsoft...

I'll just leave it anyway, I don't use it and if they try and get money out of the account they wont be able to.

If your old credit card has expired, and you havent given them your new details, the Live subscrption will not renew because it cant take the money from anywhere.

This is what i done a little while ago

Mate because its so close to Xmas (and the european launch date is now December 2nd) I will wait for my Xbox 360 also as its so close to Xmas I think it will be a good idea to wait.

DJ

Is it true the first version of the 360 wont support HD-DVD but a future one will. Thats a disgrace.

Apparently so, but again just a rumour so not sure about that one

DJ

ReActor said:
Latest Madden 2006 build on the 360. First two are the full images, second two are cropped from the first to pick out details. The shirt textures are ridiculous!!!!

http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/1900/730_0001.jpg
http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/1900/730_0002.jpg
http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/1900/730_0003.jpg
http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/1900/730_0004.jpg

Fuckin' hell, you can see the stitches and everything. :D

Noted said:
Is it true the first version of the 360 wont support HD-DVD but a future one will. Thats a disgrace.

This whole HD-DVD thing has been seriously blown out of proportion from one quote from J.Allard. All he said was that "IF" there was ever the need to release an HD-DVD drive for the 360 then they can do that.

ReActor said:
Latest Madden 2006 build on the 360. First two are the full images, second two are cropped from the first to pick out details. The shirt textures are ridiculous!!!!

http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/1900/730_0001.jpg
http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/1900/730_0002.jpg
http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/1900/730_0003.jpg
http://media.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/1900/730_0004.jpg

One question on the pics...

Why are all the fans looking to an angle and not the field???

And the as far as graphics are concerned, the skin textures don't convince me as of yet.

P-dogg said:
They do have very shiny helmets though...

Sometimes there is just no follow up to something like that...

Fnaar, fnaar

Just a little information about the pad :

The circle of light, the button at the top center of the controller, isn't just a pretty little green light show. It's actually a button that lights up. It's split into four quadrants. In a four-person multiplayer game, the quadrants indicate player one through four, and the software replicates the circle design on screen to make things consistent.

When you're playing games, Microsoft has set as a rule that of the 512MB Unified System Memory given for programmers to use for games, 40 MBs of that is set aside for Xbox Live functionality. That means that while you're playing a game, there is enough RAM to enable Xbox live to interrupt gameplay without touching your framerate or experience. When a message comes up, you press the circle of light button and decide to answer the message or put it off 'til later. It's all very functional and Jetson-esque.

Holio said:
Just a little information about the pad

Thanks for the info Holio, if anyone is interested the whole article which Holio quoted from can be read over at IGN. I must admit the current Controller-S is pretty great (minus the black and white buttons), so I am really looking forward to using the new controller.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom