Lost - Season 5

They arent exactly going to admit though are they?! Nobody would watch it.

I think its plausible as I said above, that they had a concept of a plane crashing on a remote island and there would be a twist in the story (i.e. the cover story of the passengers dieing) and the end of the series would be them landing in LAX (possibly), but beyond that, I would think they write it as they go. Not episode to episode, of course, but I reckon a lot of it is 'steered' depending on fan feedback...

yea thats what i said, some of it could of been made up BUT the CORE aspect of the story wasnt. they wrote a beginning and end to the show and the stuff that happens inbetween could have been made up but lets face it, the stuff they made up is absolutly stunning.

It isn't made up as they go along. there's a clear mythology behind the show. I think we have to distinguish between mythology and filler. In the first 3 seasons the writers didn't know when the show would end so they deliberatley moved the story along at a snails pace. Look at season 1 for instance, 22 episodes leading up to opening just one hatch (station). Season 2 was all about the eventual destruction of said station. After season 3 ended the writers took alot of stick for the slow paced mystery so they decided to rubberstamp an end date to the series after season 6. thats why we have less episodes and a faster paced story begining in season 4. with an end date in sight they can spread out the whole story instead of stalling as they did in seasons 1-3.

I did some research on what Richard's reply was when Illana asked him "What lies in the shadow of the Statue?" He replied "He who will protect/save us all" in latin. Given Jacob lived inside the statue I'm assuming they are referring to him. also notice how the question asks "What" not "who" possibly hinting he's not human.

Smokie = Mystery Bad guy as far as I can tell. If you back and rewatch the previous seasons you'll notice alot of the mysteries "ghost" sightings, like Christian Shepeard, Walt (in season 2), were this guy manipulating everyone.

We also need to distinguish between this guy duping everyone by manifesting as different people and Hurley's gift. Jacob acknowledges in the finale that the dead people he's talking to are legit.

Too many things are hinted at and left for us to assume. The spoiler posts and theories here make lost sound way more exciting than it actually is shown to be.

I enjoyed the finale.

When the creators signed the deal with ABC that gave them a definitive end date, everything has definitely had more structure. I don't believe that their making it up as they go along, maybe in the early seasons, but not since S4.

I've taken the image from the season 6 trailer and...
Eyes.jpg

Top image is Jack from Series 1 and the bottom is obviously the one from the Series 6 trailer

Jack in the season 6 still in the island, look reflection on eye
Faraday project missed or don't says the truth...

Last edited:
Looking at them pics it seems as they only went back to when the plane crashes :LOL:

Which would make all of series 1 to 6 pointless.

Which is my whole point of saying they are 'making it up' to a degree.

With one season left, I think a lot of what we've seen is going to be swept under the carpet and something completely out of left-field is going to be introduced (Jacob?) and anything we want answers to will be explained away as 'mystical powers'...

I still dont believe they planned anything between season 1 and 6 with any structure. It was kind of like... "ok, they've found a hatch... what about if they have to press a button to stay alive. Yea, good... how about a group of natives or 'others' that have roamed the island. Yea, good... ok, how about a powerfully rich business man that faked the whole plane crash? Excellent... how about time travel? Yep... How about Egyption Mythology? Brilliant... How about a 'special child' that needs protection - nah, we'll forget about that... how about living in the 70's? YES! Love it... how about a project in the arctic to find the island headed up by the daughter of the rich business man? Nah... go with something else"

See what I mean? Too many story arcs to believe they knew what it was going to eventually turn into.

I'm sure S6 will be superb though, just these things always nag away in the background.

I only came in to see if there had been any more chat about the last episode and season and avoid clicking the spoiler boxes.

Which is my whole point of saying they are 'making it up' to a degree.

With one season left, I think a lot of what we've seen is going to be swept under the carpet and something completely out of left-field is going to be introduced (Jacob?) and anything we want answers to will be explained away as 'mystical powers'...

I still dont believe they planned anything between season 1 and 6 with any structure. It was kind of like... "ok, they've found a hatch... what about if they have to press a button to stay alive. Yea, good... how about a group of natives or 'others' that have roamed the island. Yea, good... ok, how about a powerfully rich business man that faked the whole plane crash? Excellent... how about time travel? Yep... How about Egyption Mythology? Brilliant... How about a 'special child' that needs protection - nah, we'll forget about that... how about living in the 70's? YES! Love it... how about a project in the arctic to find the island headed up by the daughter of the rich business man? Nah... go with something else"

See what I mean? Too many story arcs to believe they knew what it was going to eventually turn into.

I'm sure S6 will be superb though, just these things always nag away in the background.
-
Yeah there are far FAR ..F..A..R.. too many stories that have just been totally forgotten about (in their eyes at least).

Last edited:
concerning the "making it up as they go" that's almost true.

Almost because the general structure of a show is done till a certain point, but lot's of it is added as they show goes on.
I've seen countless writers and directors say that. It's a mix of both.

i don't think they'll use jack's eye close-up/opening sequence for a third time.
it's just that, a tease.

jack's eye...
also same as (the opening sequence of) this season's episode 6: "316".

btw, funny clip, ThomasGOAL. :))

Back
Top Bottom