Killzone 2

Re: Killzone 2 PS3

A friend of mine has managed to obtain a Gamespot pre-order demo code for me so I will at least be able to get some hands on time with the demo on February 5th! Cant wait!

Its getting great reviews so far. High 9/10's 5/5's and 10/10's. The OPM Austraila said that this is the greatest first person shooter ever.

Anyone know the cheapest place for this on pre-order? I have it ordered from Game since July for 34 quid, think Play are taking orders at 32.99. Anyone else have better places?

Shopto.net are also doing it for £32.99. Thats the cheapest price I have seen so far. :)

Killzone 2 has now gone gold and will be ready for release on Wednesday February 25th 2009 in Europe followed by Friday February 27th 2009 in the United Kingdom and North America.

"Editor gave this game a 9/10, but the reviewer an 8/10.

Pro's:
"This is a game that you can show in a store for 10 minutes and make everyone who sees it be convinced in the brilliance of the Playstation 3 hardware."

"Killzone 2 is so hard and destructed, it makes the meat mountains of Gears of War 2 fade at its side."

"Impossible to not be impressed by the polished production value"

"The technically best looking game ever made. Not even Metal Gear Solid 4 could simulate war as good as Killzone 2, the best FPS since Call of Duty 4."

Cons:
"The problem is that Killzone 2 after long stretches is the same sequence, over and over again."

"the weapons recoil is as irritating as believable"

"Killzone 2 borrows a lot of its ideas from Call of duty series. What Guerrilla has missed is the big variation that the series has."

"Killzone 2 is entertaining but it feels excerpt and not as fantastic"

"Killzone 2 online is team oriented and focused, its not something you can jump into and get entertained by"

"Killzone 2 is not a new Halo, Super Mario or a Gears of War. Killzone 2 has not really shown us something we have not seen before"

"Killzone's online mode risks being to hard and uncompromising for an audience of the Halo 3 magnitude." "

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/709323

---

Apart from the con about the repetitive nature of the game i find the rest of the cons a bit suspect.

Why does the editor give it a 9 when the reviewer gave it an 8?

I don't get what he means by the Halo comment, is he trying to say that those who will play this game aren't mature?

i think the other way around - that the kids who enjoy playing halo for a minute at a time and just doing whatever the hell they want without caring about anyone else - will hate this team based game

That type of person exists in all online games, idiots.

"Killzone 2 is entertaining but it feels excerpt and not as fantastic"

Did he mean to type something else instead of excerpt?

Killzone's online mode risks being to hard

To? or Too?

The reviewer seems a bit lost so it makes it difficult to take the review seriously. I'm interested to see what ign and the other big sites make of it though. A lot of PS3 mags seem to adore the game but you can't take a PS3 mags word for it really.

Last edited:

From the first video I saw about this, I thought it would be a very very nice game with horribly boring gameplay at long term. It's the meat and potatoes of shooters with very nice effects, but nothing more than that.

I knew that videogames would tend to be like hollywood blockbusters, with a nice look and terrible dumbed-down script. And this game is the perfect example. There is no creativity at all in this game (as there isn't in many others, by the way) and it's a shame they produce such beauties without a soul.

Some reviews and opinions always state this "uninspired" game design, and I can't understand how the hell a game that is done for 5 years with 135 people working on it, most of them hardcore gamers themselves... how can't they see the game needs SOME innovation? Some originality?

You have to be really a hardcore FPS-lover to finish those games with linear levels. I finished COD4 because there was some change in gameplay now and then, but really got bored at times with all the scripted and triggered things that those games have taken as a standard:
- Not only the level design is linear, but the things you have to do can be done only in a certain way. You have no freedom as a player.
- The "health" problem: at the start of videogaming you had 3 lifes and your mental health to finish a game. Then there were medikits everyware. Now, the standard is you get shot, you go to a corner to recover and you're totally fit again! It seems dumb to me.
- There's a weapon cache with rockets JUST in the place where an enemy tank spawns
- The enemies come spawning unitl you reach some point
- Your AI mates kill people but won't solve any kind of situtaion. In fact, they are totally useless, they do nothing you can't and only add the odd getting in your path and having to save them things

Well, maybe all of this is useless talking, I know. It may be a genre-related kind of hatred that has grown in me lately. But creativity costs less than all this HDR effects they put in games and offer nothing new.

That said, I reckon the game looks incredible, but I'm onto gaming, not computer generated graphics. Shadow of the Colossus or Psychonauts totally own this game.

- The "health" problem: at the start of videogaming you had 3 lifes and your mental health to finish a game. Then there were medikits everyware. Now, the standard is you get shot, you go to a corner to recover and you're totally fit again! It seems dumb to me.
- There's a weapon cache with rockets JUST in the place where an enemy tank spawns

So it's ok to have medipacks everywhere but not ok to have rocket shells when a tanks coming? If they didnt put the rockets there then everyone would get to that point and die as they didnt bring the rocket launcher from level 1 through to level 7.

9.4/10 from Spanish magazine Hobby Consolas:

PROS

-Best graphics on consoles

-Best FPS since Half Life

-Innovative Multiplayer

-Varied environments

-Campaign length as much as 15 hours

CONS

-No co-op

That review kinda contradicts the 'Editor' review. Varied environments and Innovative Multiplayer.

Best FPS since Half Life is an interesting comparison. I wonder why they picked a game as far back as that and not halo or cod or the cop out compliment like 'best fps so far this year'?

Co Op?

I noticed Farcry 2 got a negative point for 'no co-op' in a review a while ago and so did GTA4. Since when has 'Co-Op' become an expected standard feature? It seems 'No Co-Op' has become the new 'No offline with bots' complaint.

There's no way they'd have got co-op to work with what's on the screen. the framerate would crawl or the graphics would take a huge hit.

-

I hope this game blows me away like the reviewers are saying. Not just for the graphics but it's been a long time since i put a game on and actually thought 'whoa' look at this.
The last times off the top of my head were fight night round 3 and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.

I pre ordered the game from ShopTo last week and I've noticed today that they have changed it to the Limited Edition Collector's Box. it still works out at £29.99 for me so its all good.

PS3KI00.jpg

Nothing else apart from the steelbook case. I pre-ordered from ShopTo.net and my order was updated to the Limited Edition version too. Great for £31.99!

I'd love to chance an order online and get it wednesday or thursday but i really don't want to be the unlucky one whose order goes awol in the post. Not with something as big as this.

I'd love to chance an order online and get it wednesday or thursday but i really don't want to be the unlucky one whose order goes awol in the post. Not with something as big as this.

I know what you mean, It took 15 days for my Pure order from HMV to arrive. I'm never ordering from that site again.

just get it in the shops lads. plenty of copies will be there and sometimes tesco's and morrisons do a special deal on it too.

Rad are you going to join up in the avf K zone clan for this game?

I'll have a look how the online is first - I've heard good stuff but everyone says COD4 is the best and it totally didn't do it for me.

Back
Top Bottom