Football Manager Series

Do people seriously enjoy playing long ball?

I always play possession based football and try and win through playing the beautiful game.
As I am a firm believer of if you have the ball the opposition can't score.

I always play possession based football and try and win through playing the beautiful game.
really depends on the squad you have. I remember in fm22 started uneployed and without manager experience. found job in Ukraine, can't remember if ot was 2nd or 3rd league. almost all players in the league were 180cm+ so all teams played long balls football. games were more like rugby than football but good manager need to adapt to every situation :D

When you're doing a realism save and you play in the lowest Welsh leagues, possession just doesn't work - got to hit and hope, and grab what points you can!

I thought it would of been the 20th as normally released two weeks before release.
But rumours online are the BETA will be released on the 23rd, so that it won't need patching over the weekend.

However, I can't really remember the BETA ever being patched - They normally leave all the fixes for a massive day one patch.
Then week 1 patch, then a one month patch and then that's it till January transfer patch.

I love FM but it has such ball-breaking moments. For instance, a mere two weeks into my save and I see the news flash across my screen: "Man City have fired Pep Guardiola. Diego Simeone has been hired as his replacement." :BRICK:

I love FM but it has such ball-breaking moments. For instance, a mere two weeks into my save and I see the news flash across my screen: "Man City have fired Pep Guardiola. Diego Simeone has been hired as his replacement." :BRICK:

This is something they have never fixed in FM.
Every year the top managers just go from job to job and it is a merry-go-round for the managers based on their reputation.

But I think the problem with FM is because the AI results seem to be based on the ability of the team more than AI tactics there is never any managers who over achieve and get better jobs - Managers just get sacked and then a manager with a similar reputation will then get that job.
Which then causes a weird merry-go-round.
So Simeone goes Man City, then the Napoli manager will go A.Madrid, then the Inter manager will go Napoli and then Pep will go Inter.
This seems to happen on the game all the time - Especially when I play it.

So for instance on FM, Postecoglou would never get the Spurs job or would Ten Hagg of ever get the Man Utd job.
These take a punt on a manager who is performing well just doesn't seem to happen on the game.

Nice! I saw some rumours so I made sure I sorted the pre order out last night.

I really hope I find time to play the game this year! 😂

The BETA has released on the Thursday the last 3 years apparently, so it seems very likely the BETA will arrive tomorrow.

Although I pre-ordered the BETA it is very unlikely that I will play it in BETA form as currently enjoying my Troyes game and trying to win Ligue 1.

Normally with FM, I will try the BETA for a couple of hours but normally wait a couple of weeks after release for the game to be patched and the Real Life fixes to be released.

Yeah I think I’ll use the beta to get an idea of what my laptop will run database-wise and also just to checkout the match engine.

With the BETA expected tomorrow.
I will update the graphics files on Friday, as well as hopefully having a 1st release of the Real Names fixes.
Quite of few of the logo and faces packs have already been updated, but these are new packs and 11GB downloads.

Kits are the only things at present which appear to have not been properly updated.

BETA is due today and rumours are it will be released anytime from 5PM to 8PM UK Time.

I have uploaded some of the graphics to the OneDrive already, but the Real Name Fix will likely come at some point tomorrow.

Did anyone spend time on the beta last night? I got as far as installing it. That is good for me 😂.

early impressions on the match engine?

From youtube videos.. the match engine looks far, far better. Way more fluid, dynamic, explosive. Players interchanging more, formations collapsing under pressure. And the ball is bigger!

Tempted to buy this, just dont have the time to justify it atm.

From youtube videos.. the match engine looks far, far better. Way more fluid, dynamic, explosive. Players interchanging more, formations collapsing under pressure. And the ball is bigger!

Tempted to buy this, just dont have the time to justify it atm.

I personally think the ball is too big. Everything else seems great but it looks a bit weird to me.

What is your ideal game speed to target when setting the game with leagues etc? I haven’t played for a good few years now. I suppose it is totally dependent on the hardware you have. So I suppose it is rather how many stars to you settle for?

Last edited:
What is your ideal game speed to target when setting the game with leagues etc? I haven’t played for a good few years now. I suppose it is totally dependent on the hardware you have. So I suppose it is rather how many stars to you settle for?
It depends on your PC. I recommend at least running the big leagues in full detail. The game is more difficult when you have a lot of leagues running in full detail in the background which many people don't know. That said, when you see someone bragging they won everything with low tier teams take it with a pinch of salt.

I’ve started up as LA Galaxy ( I love Billy Sharp on FM 😂) and selected a good number of major leagues. Fiddled around with some advanced editor options and ended up with a 3 Star game speed loadout. I’ll see how this goes!

I never read too much in to the star rating for game speed. I had half a star running all leagues last year and my game was in 2057 and still a fine speed!

I never read too much in to the star rating for game speed. I had half a star running all leagues last year and my game was in 2057 and still a fine speed!
Interesting! I used to run 2 star as a minimum and thinking about it, I never thought it was really slow ( in modern FM standards ).

Interesting! I used to run 2 star as a minimum and thinking about it, I never thought it was really slow ( in modern FM standards ).

I find it with the graphics rating, too. I've had my same laptop for the last 6 FM's and FM21 told me my laptop was 3 star graphics and the last two have said 5 😂

I find it with the graphics rating, too. I've had my same laptop for the last 6 FM's and FM21 told me my laptop was 3 star graphics and the last two have said 5 😂
I think they improved the sim processing algorithm the last couple of years because the game had a console release also. The star speed rating is quite accurate in general. It depends on personal preferences also, what's very slow for you might be ok for someone else. Some users even complain for 5secs more of loading screens in other games.

Back
Top Bottom