FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Exactly this. I always buy both games but neither are perfect, far from it.

It's people that give "PES is back, the best football game ever!" tagline every single year that does my swede in. We'll never help the game grow and flourish as a community if we all pretend it's amazing when it's not.

I actually think people like Adam Bhatti are really bad for the series. With FIFA you have a PR team but they don't block you on Twitter when you tell them the issues FIFA has. Bhatti and his minions throw their toys out of the pram like big kids when someone confronts them about PES and the old 'You're Blocked' routine happens.

Basically, Adam has been saying PES is the bestest football game eva eva eva since PES 6. He's a parody of himself now.

/Rant Over.
So your opinion on this game,for us who say "PES is back"?
and this game hasn't grown the past years you think?
Especially this year.
What's your verdict then?
Which is the best game made?

that's because you don't know how to play it. reason i say this is holding on to the ball is easy if you know how.
first off depending on the players stats is how well they can hold on to the ball. also learn how L2 works and learn how to time your movement away from the attacker.
this isn't fifa holding your hand helping you and were player stats don't mean squat.

maybe i'll upload a video showing proof

Again, you're being condescending. I know how to play PES thanks.

So your opinion on this game,for us who say "PES is back"?
and this game hasn't grown the past years you think?
Especially this year.
What's your verdict then?
Which is the best game made?

This year it's great. Is it the "best football game ever"? No. There's too much wrong with it.

PES 2016 was a mess.

PES 2015 was good but stiff and got tedious very quickly due to no option files (on PS4) etc.

PES 2014 - LOL.

PES 2013 - Superb. Loved every minute of it. FIFA 13 was around at the time and it was a speedfest.

This year it's great. Is it the "best football game ever"? No. There's too much wrong with it.

PES 2016 was a mess.

PES 2015 was good but stiff and got tedious very quickly due to no option files (on PS4) etc.

PES 2014 - LOL.

PES 2013 - Superb. Loved every minute of it. FIFA 13 was around at the time and it was a speedfest.
Best football game ever then?
Cant really see Whats wrong with this game?

first off depending on the players stats is how well they can hold on to the ball. also learn how L2 works and learn how to time your movement away from the attacker.
this isn't fifa holding your hand helping you and were player stats don't mean squat.
Funny thing is that in my opinion the opposite holds true. Player stats are completely useless since PES 2014, they are only being used to determine the level of scripting.

I actually think people like Adam Bhatti are really bad for the series. With FIFA you have a PR team but they don't block you on Twitter when you tell them the issues FIFA has. Bhatti and his minions throw their toys out of the pram like big kids when someone confronts them about PES and the old 'You're Blocked' routine happens.

Basically, Adam has been saying PES is the bestest football game eva eva eva since PES 6. He's a parody of himself now.

/Rant Over.

Did he block you by any chance?

For what its worth I think Adam Bhatti is great for PES. He's a real link between community and developer and he knows very well what made PES so good years ago, but unlike us, he is in a position to do something about it with our help.

Difference is Konami have changed tact and strategy. They're no longer aiming the game at everyone, they're no longer aiming at the whole market. They're aiming it at the right stall at the market. The right people. Big difference.

Why waste time with people that don't really "get it" or tribalistic people with an emotional attatchment to a card game on a rival game? You might aswell ignore and listen to those that really matter to Konami in all of this. Smart choice if you ask me.

Whereas EA Sports aim for everything and the game suffers. Its everywhere but nowhere. It doesnt know what it wants to be so gameplay ultimately reflects that. Konami arent as big as EA, so their strategy has to be different, smarter.

PES knows exactly what it wants to be right now. So the gameplay benefits.

Might aswell aim and hit. Rather than throw a load of steamy shit up the wall hoping some of it sticks.

That's a reductive, and simplistic way to shut down opposing viewpoints. PES 2016 reviewed really well, and I think it's a steaming pile of shit. At least PES 2017 deserves its high praise.
well, this year they got it right. I see your point but PES 5 and 6 got great reviews so i'd say 90% of the time reviews are right. I think Metacritic is best being world wide opinions.

L2 and timing

Last edited:
So I said I wouldn't buy fifa this year .after over a week away from the demo I fired it up and had a go professional level ..I actually really enjoyed it.dilemma time ..since playing a lot of pes FIFA is far less end to end attack and defend ..I think it's to do with the dribbling mechanics

So I said I wouldn't buy fifa this year .after over a week away from the demo I fired it up and had a go professional level ..I actually really enjoyed it.dilemma time ..since playing a lot of pes FIFA is far less end to end attack and defend ..I think it's to do with the dribbling mechanics
yeah, i do like the dribbling mechanics

that's because you don't know how to play it.
Ok 1st off allow me to LOL at this comment. Why?

A) You don't know me, You don't know how I play video games.
B) Your perception of how a game should be played will vastly differ to how others think it should be played.

Also let me just say this, I have been playing the Series as a whole since ISS Deluxe on Super NES (remember that?) all the way through the best releases (ISS Pro on PlayStation up till PES 6 on Xbox 360) so I know how to play PES... with every iteration you had to learn how to play the game again and wouldn't master it for weeks.

To also state I also enjoyed PES 2013 but did not like 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. 2014 was poor again due to clunkiness and sluggishness. 2015 was an improvement but was FAR too easy to score goals and felt meh everytime I scored. 2016 was more of the same as 2015 and 2017 whilst an improvement overall compared to 2016 still falls short because of the AI and the clunky physics.

Trust me when I say I have sunk many hours into 2017 because of past experiences of having to "Re-Learn" the game and it doesn't matter how much I play it, the issue that I mentioned about clunkiness sticks out like a sore thumb to me within seconds.

Why is it when I play on Top Player the game is too easy and then Superstar makes it a nightmare for my players to control the ball and turn and move with it? Suggests to me the difficulty levels are messed up. Something EA has been prone to doing for years.

Ok 1st off allow me to LOL at this comment. Why?

A) You don't know me, You don't know how I play video games.
B) Your perception of how a game should be played will vastly differ to how others think it should be played.

Also let me just say this, I have been playing the Series as a whole since ISS Deluxe on Super NES (remember that?) all the way through the best releases (ISS Pro on PlayStation up till PES 6 on Xbox 360) so I know how to play PES... with every iteration you had to learn how to play the game again and wouldn't master it for weeks.

To also state I also enjoyed PES 2013 but did not like 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. 2014 was poor again due to clunkiness and sluggishness. 2015 was an improvement but was FAR too easy to score goals and felt meh everytime I scored. 2016 was more of the same as 2015 and 2017 whilst an improvement overall compared to 2016 still falls short because of the AI and the clunky physics.

Trust me when I say I have sunk many hours into 2017 because of past experiences of having to "Re-Learn" the game and it doesn't matter how much I play it, the issue that I mentioned about clunkiness sticks out like a sore thumb to me within seconds.

Why is it when I play on Top Player the game is too easy and then Superstar makes it a nightmare for my players to control the ball and turn and move with it? Suggests to me the difficulty levels are messed up. Something EA has been prone to doing for years.
sorry, with all that being said .......LOL.........you still didn't for some reason get the whole point..
you said,

the game is too frustrating and you lose the ball far too easily and quickly.
that's because you don't know how to play it. reason i say this is holding on to the ball is easy if you know how.

L2 and timing

Both games are aiming to nail different things, this is the thing. They're both trying to be the best at what they do, and they are.

I agree with Placebo about player individuality in FIFA (in-fact I mentioned it a few days ago, where I mentioned trying to dribble with James Milner and ending up repeatedly bumbling into people).

Countless times I've put a passing move together and then tried to hit a shot with someone on his wrong side, and the shot's been terrible. There's two possible responses to that:

1) "What a waste of time that was, that's really frustrating"
(Alternatively, "games should be fun")

2) "That's great, now I have to think about who I'm controlling"
(Alternatively, "I'm glad it's realistic")

Both are right.

PES has added "advanced tactics", which really shape games if you observe the flow of the game (which I'm still struggling with). Those same two opinions apply - I believe I've been beat because I haven't changed tactics quickly enough (online too). You could argue that takes away from the "actual football", or you could say it's a wonderful attempt at bringing tactical reality to football games.

Either way, I really love that individuality in FIFA, and I love the tactics in PES. Every year, it's about what you love most - or hate least.

I played Ultimate Team on FIFA this week, and somehow, I really enjoyed it - because that player individuality stands out even more when the kid you're playing is trying to score screamers and getting nowhere near.

I've had some thoroughly tactical, genuinely amazing games online in PES too. It doesn't have that same individuality (in my opinion), but the tactics make a much bigger difference (in my opinion).

What I REALLY want is both. In the absence of that... I'd prefer a tactical battle. That's what I've always wanted. But that's just my preference.

Last edited:
not sure where this thread is going. play both games and form your own opinion :) if youre happy with either one (or both) just stick with it. me personally, will buy fifa 17 once pes 17 feels stale for me. my only gripe with pes 17 (on pc) is the shoddy graphics and magnetic/force field defending can get too strong. fifa on pc btw trumps pes easily in terms of matchmaking online and smoothness of online play. i waited 30 mins to get a match on divisions on pes 17.

Exactly. You like what you like, some guy saying "But but but you're playing it wrong" is not going to change your opinion.

At the end of the day, I have spent £40 on PES 2017 and if I am unhappy with it then it's tough luck if don't like my opinion. If I spent £3.50 on an 8 pack of Coke Zero from Tesco but preferred the Pepsi Max 8 pack at the same price, it doesn't mean that "I am drinking it wrong." It simply means that I prefer the taste of the Pepsi.

sorry, with all that being said .......LOL.........you still didn't for some reason get the whole point..
you said,

L2 and timing
You also don't get what I was saying. People have different ways of doing things. There are many ways to skin a cat.

That post was extremely condescending towards me and you have no idea how I play video games especially PES.

Had you just put "Have you tried using this button combination to shield the ball" that would have sufficed rather than trying to "School" me like I am some kind of Child.

You also don't get what I was saying. People have different ways of doing things. There are many ways to skin a cat.

That post was extremely condescending towards me and you have no idea how I play video games especially PES.

Had you just put "Have you tried using this button combination to shield the ball" that would have sufficed rather than trying to "School" me like I am some kind of Child.
you are right i should have just said this button combination to shield the ball........ i understand. my apologies..

I like this thread I really do. I think we should all just accept that our opinions differ and move on. Some Love PES (I like it in places but not others) and some Love FIFA (from the Demo its too fast on Normal speed but I like the gameplay).

Agreed. Everyone prefers whatever game they prefer. Don't bother trying to argue or convince others that your game is better and that they should like what you like. This is the problem with debating and comparing everyone ends up getting so entrenched in their own opinion that it just turns into an argument.

Both games have their merits and will make many different people happy for different reasons, lets just be glad there's two games out there and at least one will cater to our tastes!

I like this thread I really do. I think we should all just accept that our opinions differ and move on.
The trouble is, it's very difficult to segregate comparisons of the two - they're both football games that are trying to replicate professional football, even if they're both focussed on different specifics. But then if comparisons are made in the separate PES\FIFA threads, they quickly turn into A) comparison threads and B) personal insults (and at least it's "contained" in here)...

Even if this thread exists just to shovel those comparisons into from the other threads, I think it has value.

Besides that, I think there's a benefit to discussing both. I find the AI impossible to regain possession from in FIFA, for example, but in PES it's probably a little too easy. With discussion, maybe I can find a way to counter that in FIFA (slider tweaks don't seem to help - first-touch does a little, but not with the ball-shielding).

The full game of fifa will have to be a level above the demo for me to buy it. After playing the new pes Fifa feels so basic in terms of tactics and options, and the flow of the game. As usual the presentation is brilliant and the graphics have taken a step up but gameplay wise still not close to replicating football. Sliders might be able to fix that to an extent but the core will still be lacking and frankly a tedious experience.

The most scripted shit ever.
Robot defending with no errors ever being made.
Horrible

This.

But you'll get the inevitable "sliders this, sliders that" claptrap.

I honestly cant believe how let off and easy it was for EA to include them in the first place. What a cop-out that stuff is. "We know the games got issues. Heres sliders" Why did no one question gameplay issues of the "out of box" game? Instead we have players rolling over to it but adjusting sliders. Bet EA are rubbing their hands at that one. Less work. Less need to work on fundamental issues. I wonder why the game still suffers with the same problems year after year?

EA Sports are copping out with the sliders but whats worse? The paying customer is also unknowingly copping out for them by pushing the sliders as a way of making things better. Thats EA's job.

This.

But you'll get the inevitable "sliders this, sliders that" claptrap.

I honestly cant believe how let off and easy it was for EA to include them in the first place. What a cop-out that stuff is. "We know the games got issues. Heres sliders" Why did no one question gameplay issues of the "out of box" game? Instead we have players rolling over to it but adjusting sliders. Bet EA are rubbing their hands at that one. Less work. Less need to work on fundamental issues. I wonder why the game still suffers with the same problems year after year?

EA Sports are copping out with the sliders but whats worse? The paying customer is also unknowingly copping out for them by pushing the sliders as a way of making things better. Thats EA's job.
great post!

Back
Top Bottom