FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Madden was done long ago, just an AWFUL game. Every video golf game has failed because nobody plays it. And... regardless of how many dozens of EvoWeb sim gamers prefer PES to FIFA this year, FIFA is still going to outsell PES by a 25-1 margin. And will continue to do so for years to come. Not sure "falling" is really the right word.
let's look at the sales numbers this year with PES getting SGOTY. Even the die hard Fifa fan won't pass up a SGOTY football game..

let's look at the sales numbers this year with PES getting SGOTY. Even the die hard Fifa fan won't pass up a SGOTY football game..
Oh PES sales will probably increase a bit this year, sure. But I think you're looking at this from an emotional rather than analytical POV. Konami is so far behind EA now, it will take years for them to rebuild a solid consumer base. And that's if they even can, given the stranglehold EA has on licenses. Kids today want licenses, they want to play with "their team and stadium." Konami simply can't compete with that. Interest in sim game play for today's gamers is going the way of the Dodo. Just look at 2K football: Far superior game play and product to Madden, but they folded because they couldn't compete with their unlicensed game. People wanted REAL NFL teams. I would say PES football is headed in a simular direction unless Konami can start grabbing licenses.

Oh PES sales will probably increase a bit this year, sure. But I think you're looking at this from an emotional rather than analytical POV. Konami is so far behind EA now, it will take years for them to rebuild a solid consumer base. And that's if they even can, given the stranglehold EA has on licenses. Kids today want licenses, they want to play with "their team and stadium." Konami simply can't compete with that. Interest in sim game play for today's gamers is going the way of the Dodo. Just look at 2K football: Far superior game play and product to Madden, but they folded because they couldn't compete with their unlicensed game. People wanted REAL NFL teams. I would say PES football is headed in a simular direction unless Konami can start grabbing licenses.
no emotions, i could care less who wins Konami or EA. Just think believing Fifa will always be number one, forever, is fantasy. EA has exclusive license for BPL and Konami still found a way to get Liverpool through partnership deal.

You're thinking for TV rights, video game rights are completely different and cost way less, most expensive rights would probably be EPL I guess? How much do you think Fifa pays for that? No way more than a couple of million.
Exclusive cost way more than 2mill. why hasn't EA grabbed them all then? UEFA? Konami will never give up that.

Exclusive cost way more than 2mill. why hasn't EA grabbed them all then? UEFA? Konami will never give up that.

Mr Bond, Fifa will always outsell Pes . . .it's ingrained in the psyche of kids who want full licences straight out of the box. . .even if Pes totally dominated gameplay wise they can't catch up with sales.

Mr Bond, Fifa will always outsell Pes . . .it's ingrained in the psyche of kids who want full licences straight out of the box. . .even if Pes totally dominated gameplay wise they can't catch up with sales.
i agree on license being a big factor but to say fifa will forever outsell PES when 10 years ago they didn't. do you realize how long it's going to take EA to build better game play then PES? you won't see it this gen, game play matters a lot reviews are in.
Will see who's in better position next generation when PS5 comes.

I find it ridiculous how OBVIOUS problems and features don't get addressed at all on both games.

Some examples:

- Cameras: The zoom and height sliders are just a cosmetic and doesn't make major difference. No angle slider on most modes, No proper broadcast cam and at this day and age you'd expect to be able to set up your own camera position.

I want something like this
camera.png

- Fouls: Why does it take 3 or 4 versions without fouls for the developers to add them? In FIFA they've disappeared and in PES they're back.

- Goalkeepers: On both games this year they stick to their lines making it impossible to score other than the same goals over and over again.

-AI logic: Both games have improved this year but there are a lot of INTEGRAL parts of football matches missing when playing the AI, For example you get a year where they don't cross, or only take one type of shot and another year where they pass the ball to death without caring about the score or the narrative!

- Removing features: For example the 2 v 2 matches in PES or the apply game face in FIFA, They should remain and not tampered with every year to be added the next iteration. I think the next fifa will have you applying your gameface to the journey!

My point is why are these issues ignored year after year, If they had started working on them since 4 or 5years ago then these games would've been perfect by now instead of these half baked efforts that are truly embarrassing for purists.

- Fouls: Why does it take 3 or 4 versions without fouls for the developers to add them? In FIFA they've disappeared and in PES they're back.

Earlier today, playing a FUT SP match, 24 minutes into the first half, dribbled into the box, slight touch away from the keeper, foul, penalty, straight red card :)

Every year I say I won't buy FIFA but always end up getting it because generally, it's a far better package than PES.

Whilst I enjoy PES on the pitch, I'm already getting fed up of the pitch textures that were made in MS Paint, a dull and simplistic Master League and constantly playing at the same stadium.

As a kid I didn't care about stuff like this but now we're in 2016, I need more from my gaming. I only tend to dip in and out of playing games once a day, maybe twice if my son's at school and work is quiet. But when I do game, I need more than what PES has to offer.

It's a shame because Konami are taking PES in the right direction again - I just think that their games always look and feel 10 years older than they are.

FIFA 17 is a very good demo and I'm looking forward to the full game.

I will keep PES 2017 for the odd exhibition game but forget playing ML for a whole year as it's simply too shallow. And online? A real mess yet again.

In 2016 I look for the same thing I was looking for in 1985, 1997, 2006, or indeed any year I have been playing football games; the best playing football game out on the digital turf. PES2017 is proving thus far to be superior to FIFA17 in this regard, so that is the game I will be playing.

PES2017 is proving thus far to be superior to FIFA17 in this regard

Can anyone in the right mind, level headed and neutral argue against that?

Forget about fancy skills you hardly see pulled off in real life, forget about card games, look past the licenses and glitter. Can anyone give bulletproof reasons why FIFA is better than PES in terms of its replication of the sport on the pitch and how it plays?

If you can be totally neutral, take all emotion out of it and not sway to either game, I dont think you can even put pen to paper on starting that arguement. Pro Evo 2017 crystal clearly does a better job.

EA Sports have had reviewers in their pocket for years, Pro Evo has never quite had that weight, muscle or pull on that front. Yet many creditable sources worth their salt are rating PES 2017 higher than FIFA 17. As was the case in 2016 also. Forget about "the gap is closing" PES is now clearly the better football game. Thats what it all boils down to really. Which game does the football bit better.

PES's advancements this year has rendered FIFA into a pick up and play arcade game not to be taken seriously. How things can change in such a short space of time!

Not knocking FIFA 17, both can be played this year, but for different reasons and meaning.

Having played both on PC Fifa is miles ahead of PES for me, and contrary to what some are saying I'm loving the player individuality and especially weak foot simulation, I'm messing up loads of passes/crosses/shots because I'm trying to do things with the wrong player, trying to do things when not set in the right position or off balance, trying to do things with the player's weak foot etc. etc. And this is just in FUT SP mostly with Sheffield Wednesday players, can't wait to get my teeth into career mode with slider tweaks etc.

Certainly helps the visuals look like this:

But that's far from the primary deciding factor, I love the gameplay, smooth, responsive, varied, unlike PES in all its clunkiness.

Having played both on PC Fifa is miles ahead of PES for me, and contrary to what some are saying I'm loving the player individuality and especially weak foot simulation, I'm messing up loads of passes/crosses/shots because I'm trying to do things with the wrong player, trying to do things when not set in the right position or off balance, trying to do things with the player's weak foot etc. etc. And this is just in FUT SP mostly with Sheffield Wednesday players, can't wait to get my teeth into career mode with slider tweaks etc.

Certainly helps the visuals look like this:

But that's far from the primary deciding factor, I love the gameplay, smooth, responsive, varied, unlike PES in all its clunkiness.

Isn't PES 2017 on PC basically a 360/PS3 port? I dont know about FIFA 17 in terms of the PC version, but I assume its PS4/Xbox One standard? If thats the case then its a poor comparison to make. If you're going to compare the games, at least do it with versions where they are both at their best.

Pro Evo series was admitedly poor on last gen consoles. FIFA was better during this period of gaming. But its on the current gen where Pro Evo reclaims its glory.

I read that Konami didn't produce a PS4 standard game for PC for two reasons. The budget and the fact that most players worldwide that took part in the survey, still reveal to have below par PC's.

So instead of Konami blowing money in an area that wont make much difference to players. They spent it on making the A1 game as good as it can be, picking up official club partnerships where possible.

Konami have really listened to the community and continue to do so after the games release. I cant quite say the same for EA Sports. Konami's strategy has been well thought out and delivered. Releasing the game 2 weeks before FIFA 17 was also a clever bit of posturing. Especially when they have so much confidence and belief in their 2017 product.

Isn't PES 2017 on PC basically a 360/PS3 port? I dont know about FIFA 17 in terms of the PC version, but I assume its PS4/Xbox One standard? If thats the case then its a poor comparison to make. If you're going to compare the games, at least do it with versions where they are both at their best.

Pro Evo series was admitedly poor on last gen consoles. FIFA was better during this period of gaming. But its on the current gen where Pro Evo reclaims its glory.

I read that Konami didn't produce a PS4 standard game for PC for two reasons. The budget and the fact that most players worldwide that took part in the survey, still reveal to have below par PC's.

So instead of Konami blowing money in an area that wont make much difference to players. They spent it on making the A1 game as good as it can be, picking up official club partnerships where possible.

Konami have really listened to the community and continue to do so after the games release. I cant quite say the same for EA Sports. Konami's strategy has been well thought out and delivered. Releasing the game 2 weeks before FIFA 17 was also a clever bit of posturing. Especially when they have so much confidence and belief in their 2017 product.

Things on the pitch are not at all different.

The foundation is there for Konami. Another year of tinkering and improving the little details and they'll have some game. In terms of tactics and team styles it's certainly a step ahead of FIFA and that's just about it. The scenarios and possibilities in FIFA outweigh the varied yet predictable experience of PES.

FIFA feels like a simulator of a football, not a football simulation.

Football is not that complex. Messi doesn't think nor play in 5 dribble speeds or has to think how he will kick it before kicking it. This is FIFA's legacy issue: it simply doesn't get how incredibly simple football is to play.

But anyway. PES this year is miles ahead of FIFA when it comes down to gameplay. No amount of slider shizzle, animations or physics are going to change that for me.

Konami have really listened to the community and continue to do so after the games release. I cant quite say the same for EA Sports.
That's just not true. The community tells EA, "We will happily give you our money regardless of how little you do to improve the core game play." And every year, EA listens.

As the FIFA 17 demo demonstrates, without sliders, FIFA is at worst unplayable and at best a comically poor football simulation. I gave up on the demo after 3-4 games, whereas the trial game with slider adjustments has kept me happily entertained for hours.

EA doesn't have to listen to the offline people. The majority consists of people who are interested in knowing if Zlatan's nose is the right length and if Cavani's fucking hair blows in the wind like it does in real life.

The simulation guys, who test every value of every goddamn slider to make the game less frustrating are left out in the cold while the happy side opens their pack containing Ronaldo.

Such resources, money and a huge fanbase and they can't focus on player personalities and tactics? Konami knows it'll take a while (50 years?) to reach FIFA's level of presentation so they focus on gameplay. And look where they are. Improved.

Konami clearly aren't interested in making a broadcast simulator but a football game: the horror. I personally hope it takes them 50 years to reach broadcast presentation values as I don't want that from my football game. That and I will be dead.

That's just not true. The community tells EA, "We will happily give you our money regardless of how little you do to improve the core game play." And every year, EA listens

I'm on about players that produce valid complaints about gameplay flaws. They dont listen at all to these people. Before or during. They aint addressed afterwards either. The proof is in the fact the game has barely evolved in these issues for a number of years now. So we're not just talking about one game in the series, but about 6 years worth of negligence and ineptness and thats unforgivable.

Thats why I stand by my belief that sliders are a cop-out by developers. However much they improve your personal experience. What about everyone elses?

They are in turn shunning the core "out the box" gameplay. Thats why I maintain, pushing the sliders as some sort of way of "fixing the game" is counter-productive. It means EA Sports can continue to get away with releasing fragmented and fractured games.

Whereas Konami have listened to and blatantly addressed gameplay issues recently and will offer support to the current game on the market.

I'm pretty sure another gameplay survey is around the corner. Only the serious Pro Evo players will take the time to do these. The current game and future games, as a result can only benefit.

Konami feels more intouch with its community than EA Sports do at the moment. Thats for sure.

at least do it with versions where they are both at their best.

I've played the PC versions of both games, I'll compare the PC versions of both games, I couldn't give a fuck what you think is or isn't a poor comparison, based on your posts you're clearly a rose tinted glasses, dyed in the wool PES fan who holds no respect for anyone's opinion if it's positive towards Fifa, that's fine, but don't come in this thread acting like your opinion is more correct or more balanced than anyone else's, it's not, it's simply your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom