FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

I'm playing on dynamic (max zoomed in), love the details as well ,but the game seems to be way faster than on the other cameras (tele, for instance).

I just started playing on the dynamic cam (FIFA 17) max angle and fully zoomed in. Strangely I find that cam making the game slower for me. FIFA 17 now feels brand new to me, i really love this camera!

A question for the people who have 18. When playing on slow, is it slower than 17?
I'm now switching between 17 full game on slow and 18 demo, but 18 feels damn fast now.

Not my image, but:

abg3q2b1s4oz.jpg

Eeeeeek.

Interesting sort-of review over at Reddit, but I can't help but feel like the guy is kidding himself a little - but maybe he's got a point: FIFA 18 Reddit post

Last edited:
Interesting. No one use Tele Broadcast then? Maybe that's why I am not enjoying it as much. I remember playing FIFA 14 purely in Tele and loved it.

Coop with zoom 20 and height 0.

No, night lightning is still horrible.

I found a stadium with almost great lighting in full game. I think it’s the Donbass Arena.

Now i have 3 issues with the game so far.

1. Shooting. Too much goals from outside the area.
2. Passing. Some passes too quick and without zip. Espacially through balls.
3. The pace of some players. I played online game with a friend who pick Man utd and Pogba accelarate and run like Salah. I couldn't catch him with Wijnaldum nor Henderson.

After about a dozen games in with the full release, my feelings are somewhat mixed, and I'd say most of the reviews that also have been pretty mixed have been spot on. FIFA 18 is a lot of fun, it's a thing of beauty in many ways, and I think that hardcore FIFA players will notice many significant improvements. However, gameplay is heavily imbalanced in favor of attacking play.

But there is a lot of good. Dribbling, shooting, pacey players, attacking AI, presentation, player individuality... these are all great. A couple big things for me is that I love that CDMs will now - finally! - "hold" when given the instruction to stay back in attack. Teammates are much better at intercepting passes. I'm also very pleased with player individuality, at least for the players on your team; I don't notice individuality among CPU players as much, though it's definitely there. Crossing takes some getting used to with the new system but it adds a lot of variety and cool options (though it feels too easy at times). Variety in general is great.

Also, Team Styles does seem to be a thing, though I think it'll take a lot of testing to see if it truly satisfies. But I noticed a massive difference in my first couple games when, playing as Man Utd, I played Arsenal and then Crystal Palace. They were completely different experiences - Arsenal matches were attacking showcases, with Arsenal playing lots of short passes; the Crystal Palace matches were one sided affairs, they were terrible in attack, and focused on long balls to Benteke and Saha, with a bigger focus on crossing. I was actually quite surprised how different the games felt because I didn't see much evidence in the demo of Team Styles. I do wonder though if we'll notice as much a difference between top teams though.

And defending... is interesting. I'm still getting used to it, so I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. On one hand it felt just about right playing Crystal Palace, and I was able to be very solid defensively, as Man Utd should be; I was totally dominant. But against Arsenal... well there were a bunch of goals (at both ends). I'm not sure I'd say defending is really poor - though I think it needs an overhaul nonetheless, both with AI and tackling - but it's more that attacking play is just that good.

The negatives for me all come from the game being heavily imbalanced in favor of attackers and attacking play. Dribbling, passing, shooting, crossing... it all feels a bit too easy. And the other big thing is that the defensive AI still can be too easy to exploit and there are some odd behaviors at times that, though infrequent, can be impactful. If you play with top teams, you're going to see a lot of goals, and so I imagine online will be an absolute goal fest, though to be fair I haven't gone online yet to test.

For those who like to use sliders, with the exception of some of the defensive AI issues, I imagine there's potential to turn this into the best FIFA yet for offline play if you can tone down the attacking advantages. It'll also be interesting to see what EA does with the inevitable patches, because they could also patch it into a much much better game, in terms of realism at least, by adding back more error in some of the attacking elements I've mentioned.

Obviously it's early days with FIFA 18. Right now it's a mixed bag for me, but it's going to be real interesting to see what the gameplay is like after patches.

It's REEAAALLY disappointing that we can't edit team styles. What about years 2, 3, 4, etc? What about if Real sack Zidane and pick up Mourinho? What if one of the styles is broken and you want to take it off? This is the one feature that I was the most excited about this year :CONF:

Not my image, but:

abg3q2b1s4oz.jpg

Eeeeeek.

Interesting sort-of review over at Reddit, but I can't help but feel like the guy is kidding himself a little - but maybe he's got a point: FIFA 18 Reddit post

I read that and that guy has some good points, but nonetheless, even if defending may be better than last year, attack is still overpowered. Even if you play smart, solid defense, get your defenders in great positions, etc., attackers are still able to win and succeed too frequently.

I think the best way to think about it is that attacking play is very forgiving while defending is the opposite.

It's REEAAALLY disappointing that we can't edit team styles. What about years 2, 3, 4, etc? What about if Real sack Zidane and pick up Mourinho? What if one of the styles is broken and you want to take it off? This is the one feature that I was the most excited about this year :CONF:

Just edit the Tactics. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the "new" Team Styles feature is just the Custom Team Tactics actually working.

whats the difference between legacy and tactical defending?

Legacy is the traditional: Press button -> Go for the ball
Tactical: Press same button -> Position your self automatically between opponent and your goal, more like blocking.

Both approaches are needed to play well defensively really, but you can only "automate" one of the two. PES2013 included both with a modifier button and you didn't have to choose!

But it can be done in fifa too, eg: use jockey and go for the ball when you see an opportunity or use secondary pressure. I would like to use both like it was the case with good old pes2013, I suppose they think that would make defending much easier/OP. I don't know.

Last edited:
Legacy is the traditional: Press button -> Go for the ball
Tactical: Press same button -> Position your self automatically between opponent and your goal, more like blocking.

Both approaches are needed to play well defensively really, but you can only "automate" one of the two. PES2013 included both with a modifier button and you didn't have to choose!

But it can be done in fifa too, eg: use jockey and go for the ball when you see an opportunity or use secondary pressure. I would like to use both like it was the case with good old pes2013, I suppose they think that would make defending much easier/OP. I don't know.

PES 2013 defending control is still the best. I don't want to press a billion of buttons to make the tackle I want to.

Could someone please explain coop camera to me. I've only ever used default or custom zoom, height etc. What does coop do?
Co-Op let's you see most of the pitch, it zooms everything out.

The positive with this is that you can spread play easily and play longer passes.

The negative for me is that the players aren't nearly as responsive because it's so "zoomed out".

That's not a solution. I play FIFA since 08 and I never had any problems with shooting on automatic. I hope the Day One Patch will fix the keepers, the shooting and the driven crosses.
Indeed. It's like the buzzword for a broken game (this applies to PES as well)

"Just use manual then."

"Sliders."

I don't ever use either. I play online and want stats to do the talking, not how long I hold a button down or which angle I point the stick.

With respect just because you don't like it, you don't want to use sliders and you don't want to try an alternative control method to try and tailor it to your needs doesn't make it broken.

With respect just because you don't like it, you don't want to use sliders and you don't want to try an alternative control method to try and tailor it to your needs doesn't make it broken.

For offline players it's no problem to change the sliders or the control type but if you want to be successful online then you don't have these options. It's not funny if almost every shot is a goal and almost every game is a goalfest. So maybe broken is a hard word but these things should be fixed.

Just played a bunch of online seasons and I think I'd be pretty upset if I was just an online player - feels essentially the same as last year to me. Tons of goals, nonstop counter attack, shitty defending, no midfield play.

People are saying the difference this year is that defending takes skill but unless you play against someone who's horrible, there's going to be a bunch of chances no matter what because shooting, dribbling, crossing, etc. are so powerful this year.

And the old legacy issue of making a tackle but the ball goes to the attacker is still there and drives me nuts!

This is why for online, I'm sticking with Pro Clubs and Squad Battles. The AI is pure cheese in the latter, but at least I can earn pretty decent rewards in FUT (assuming I finish in Elite or higher) each week without having to endure the insufferable experience of playing against another human-being.

Back
Top Bottom