FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

Got the full game. 98% like the demo. Slightly more polished. Most definitely not slower. Enjoying the presentation. It's not too difficult. Already comfortable on Legendary after playing PES for 2 weeks.

Ps.
The way the game starts is great. A cinematic of Real va Atletico, then it drops you in the game of the cinematic. Presentation is top notch.
Wait till you take the thing online.... good god.

I don't play online though mate and watching @Matt10 play it with "slow" game speed set, semi-passing and the odd slider tweak gives me (the slightest bit of) hope!

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about all this talk of the game being too easy and the first reviews are not especially encouraging, but I'm just going to cover my ears and hope that Matt10's impressions will be more like how I experience it.

Hopefully I'll be getting the game later today, so it won't be long till I know. I wonder if EA will be releasing a Day 1 patch again, and would that Day 1 patch come out when the standard edition arrives later in the week, or tomorrow with the early releases?

With so many saying it's a goal fest and too easy, I'm kinda crossing my fingers that EA can/will address that.

Got the full game. 98% like the demo. Slightly more polished. Most definitely not slower. Enjoying the presentation. It's not too difficult. Already comfortable on Legendary after playing PES for 2 weeks.

Ps.
The way the game starts is great. A cinematic of Real va Atletico, then it drops you in the game of the cinematic. Presentation is top notch.

is the HDR fixed in night matches?

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about all this talk of the game being too easy and the first reviews are not especially encouraging, but I'm just going to cover my ears and hope that Matt10's impressions will be more like how I experience it.

Hopefully I'll be getting the game later today, so it won't be long till I know. I wonder if EA will be releasing a Day 1 patch again, and would that Day 1 patch come out when the standard edition arrives later in the week, or tomorrow with the early releases?

With so many saying it's a goal fest and too easy, I'm kinda crossing my fingers that EA can/will address that.

I seem to recall the reviews of FIFA16 were not good yet I still remember being blown away by it the first few matches I played and enjoyed it for the whole year (unpatched version).

My feelings about the FIFA18 demo are mixed - some sessions it leaves me thinking it's pretty woeful, other times I really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to hearing more opinions of the final game, particularly how the lower league teams play and whether custom tactics and team styles are noticeable and effective. Matt's Twitch videos look promising, although there's still too much perfect ground passing by all cpu teams for my liking, particularly the ubiquitous drilled pass to the centre forward.

I'm not too worried about some finding the game too easy - it's one of the advantages of being rubbish at it. I prefer to play for fun and to try to get something that looks and feels realistic than to furiously hammer the controller to win at all costs.

... I'm not too worried about some finding the game too easy - it's one of the advantages of being rubbish at it. I prefer to play for fun and to try to get something that looks and feels realistic than to furiously hammer the controller to win at all costs.

My thoughts exactly.

I seem to recall the reviews of FIFA16 were not good yet I still remember being blown away by it the first few matches I played and enjoyed it for the whole year (unpatched version).

How did you keep it unpatched for the whole year?! I think origin forces you to update :(

So how do you like it ?

A lot of positives so far been playing for 4 hours now on PS4, But tbh it's the same FIFA formula so nothing to get dramatically over excited about.

Impressions so far:

+
AI has been worked on, not blatantly repetitive and there are different types of attacks
Pacey players are shining and they can leave their markers for dead, crossing is improved too
Authenticity , Match and stadium atmosphere are the best we've ever witnessed, A joy to behold really, Even more league specific brodcasts are added.
Loose balls are more random now and they don't just get scripted to fall to a certain player or roll away for a throw
Penalties have been fixed and they are really good, you can use stutter as well to fool the gk
Scripting and 45 /90 minute goals have been toned down and it's not as blatant as before
Individuality has improved, Star players are shining against you and they will hurt you
Online features are solid really although im not a big fan
The journey is gonna be fun
Practice arena is back

-
No fouls or handballs called, too few for my liking
Ball is too small
Lighting effects are horrendos really, I understande they're trying to add a filter related to the climate but some shiny players and dark stadiums look just wrong
Camera sliders still very limited (in case they work in the chosen stadium of course)
Gameplay is too fast and end to end, Needs tuning using sliders
The game is too automated,You never feel in control of anything specially defending but I guess this is FIFA.
Goalkeepers are too stuck to their lines
Dipping shots galore

I will check out career mode tomorrow and see what else is there to report. In general it doesn't feel like a new game but it seems like EA have been listening to feedback surprisingly, PES is still in with a chance this year though if they can patch stuff up!

How did you keep it unpatched for the whole year?! I think origin forces you to update :(

I'm on PS4. I had to play it disconnected from the internet but as I play off-line only, that wasn't a problem for me.

Any time I did have to connect, FIFA would immediately try and download the latest patch, so I just cancelled it every time.

A lot of positives so far been playing for 4 hours now on PS4, But tbh it's the same FIFA formula so nothing to get dramatically over excited about.

Impressions so far:

+
AI has been worked on, not blatantly repetitive and there are different types of attacks
Pacey players are shining and they can leave their markers for dead, crossing is improved too
Authenticity , Match and stadium atmosphere are the best we've ever witnessed, A joy to behold really, Even more league specific brodcasts are added.
Loose balls are more random now and they don't just get scripted to fall to a certain player or roll away for a throw
Penalties have been fixed and they are really good, you can use stutter as well to fool the gk
Scripting and 45 /90 minute goals have been toned down and it's not as blatant as before
Individuality has improved, Star players are shining against you and they will hurt you
Online features are solid really although im not a big fan
The journey is gonna be fun
Practice arena is back

-
No fouls or handballs called, too few for my liking
Ball is too small
Lighting effects are horrendos really, I understande they're trying to add a filter related to the climate but some shiny players and dark stadiums look just wrong
Camera sliders still very limited (in case they work in the chosen stadium of course)
Gameplay is too fast and end to end, Needs tuning using sliders
The game is too automated,You never feel in control of anything specially defending but I guess this is FIFA.
Goalkeepers are too stuck to their lines
Dipping shots galore

I will check out career mode tomorrow and see what else is there to report. In general it doesn't feel like a new game but it seems like EA have been listening to feedback surprisingly, PES is still in with a chance this year though if they can patch stuff up!

The Pros all sound like important things that will enhance my experience of the game. The cons, on the whole, don't bother me, except game speed, but some of Matt's videos show the speed to be fine - and of course sliders will help.

I don't even mind the lack of free-kicks if the fouls are not actually being committed by the CPU (I've had 4 penalties in the FIFA18 demo - didn't have a single penalty in a whole year of playing PES17, and have had a few free-kicks within shooting distance in the FIFA18 demo too). The reason the lack of free-kicks in PES17/18 is a problem is that the CPU blatantly hacks you down but the free-kick is not awarded - I find that kind of stuff unacceptable.

I've always found the co-op cam in FIFA to be absolutely perfect. PES is, for me, the one severely lacking good camera options - everything option is zoomed in too close except Blimp (and Fan View), which are too far out.

Practice arena wasn't in 17. Man 17 must have been bare bones. EA always have had long teething periods when trying to implement something new. Deleted the demo been playing alot of the PES demo love the 10 minutes match feature.

A few people on various forums all saying same thing and that the game is faster after a patch:

I would say EA Access was the same speed as the demo. But not after yesterday's patch. Online Seasons was super quick last night. To fast and nearly gave me motion sickness trying to keep up with the ball!

Can I also go on record and criticise EA on how awful they are at giving us patch notes. They should learn from the Battlefield team. Shocking how you can patch a game yet not tell the people what the changes are.

I almost decided I didn't want to buy the game after the fast frenzy of a session I had last night compared to the lovely slow build up play of the days before.

Terrible news if true. I only wanted FIFA for multiplayer this year.

A few people on various forums all saying same thing and that the game is faster after a patch:

Sounds like turning off the internet on the console is the way to go then. Thanks for the heads up!

Sliders to slow it down. And these rip of merchants keeps charging you for the same celebrations every year that you got the previous version.But off the bat, it's damn fast and I have it on slow. But everything is shinning and typical EA big bollocks. But going to give it a bash. Also, I've been waiting for a better edit mode but nothing changing here.

I hope they don't patch this game at all. It has a nice pace, nice flow, goals need to be earned, not just spamming the same play.
Response time is a at a sim pace not at arcade button mash.
I am happy with it.

Oh Jesus Christ! Is that due to FUT Kids moaning it’s too slow again like with 16? For fuck sake EA have different game settings for FUT and make the other modes slower and more realistic it’s not hard FFS!

Apparently new patch is out that made defending more auto and "balances" slow players from faster players. Pretty soon, we will go back to FIFA 17 again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/72cjl5/skill_moves_are_back_and_auto_defending_is_out/

Every bloody update we get trolls like this spreading FUD about how the game has been broken by the update and then lo and behold the grown ups on here try it and everything is generally fine, need to trust people on here not douches on reddit/twitter etc!

Back
Top Bottom