FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

Short and sweet, i got the beta and it's brilliant.

I only play 2 player though so i don't know if there are any issue's with the CPU.

I'm on a crisis with FIFA to be honest, playing 16 online yesterday I've realized I've become one of those douchebags that play the flaws and score the same old goals whenever they want.

Then I went on to play the 17 beta and the AI still pisses me off, one level is way to easy the other is way to robotic and perfect, and the new 360 shielding made the wasting possession perfect robotic annoying AI even more so.

I was playing Hull City and they scored that typical tiki taka till they score and those are even more annoying now because the shots are much better and much stronger, it was a screamer without the guy even taking a breath to take the shot, quick pass quick pass quick pass very powerful shot without even blinking. Then on to wasting time they went.

Offline still way to annoying for me, I know some of you think its the best mode, but I can't stand it.

But yea the gameplay is better, there are a lot of awesome 50/50 battles for the ball now, shooting is way better, skills are slower and overall the pace is slow-ish too which reminds of 16 at that last patch before they tried to please the pace whores, eventually they will complain again until pacey fifa is back, we all know its gonna happen.

But its not that different of a game in my opinion, the passing is actually worse for me, the assistance is way too strong and the game still doesn't get who you want to pass to at times. You still have to concentrate a lot to defend, cause AI guys can't get in the right position or cover the right space, while you can totally chill to attack cause with the new smarter runs its even easier to create opportunities.

Last edited:
I'm on a crisis with FIFA to be honest, playing 16 online yesterday I've realized I've become one of those douchebags that play the flaws and score the same old goals whenever they want.

Then I went on to play the 17 beta and the AI still pisses me off, one level is way to easy the other is way to robotic and perfect, and the new 360 shielding made the wasting possession perfect robotic annoying AI even more so.

I was playing Hull City and they scored that typical tiki taka till they score and those are even more annoying now because the shots are much better and much stronger, it was a screamer without the guy even taking a breath to take the shot, quick pass quick pass quick pass very powerful shot without even blinking. Then on to wasting time they went.

Offline still way to annoying for me, I know some of you think its the best mode, but I can't stand it.

But yea the gameplay is better, there are a lot of awesome 50/50 battles for the ball now, shooting is way better, skills are slower and overall the pace is slow-ish too which reminds of 16 at that last patch before they tried to please the pace whores, eventually they will complain again until pacey fifa is back, we all know its gonna happen.

But its not that different of a game in my opinion, the passing is actually worse for me, the assistance is way too strong and the game still doesn't get who you want to pass to at times. You still have to concentrate a lot to defend, cause AI guys can't get in the right position or cover the right space, while you can totally chill to attack cause with the new smarter runs its even easier to create opportunities.

You can try the level before the robotic one and adjust the sliders to make it more difficult (increase cpu speed and acc, pass accuracy/speed... and decrease controll errors for example....adjust human settings accordingly if you want)

the only vid i liked about fifa 17 is the one that was firstly showed, the psg vs man united at old trafford, that was the only footage i liked.

Grr FFS.

Haven't had a chance to play since Sunday, got home from work this evening looking forward to playing.. Mandatory 29Gb update that still hasn't finished downloading. Can't even play Kickoff while until it's finished. That's me out of that until tomorrow night.

When does the Beta end?

EDIT: Nevermind, 28th. Longer than i thought. Plenty of time to get some vids up for you guys. I'll try do a few with different Camera angles and Net settings for you guys.

Last edited:
Good to know I'm not the only one who actually is playing on that camera. I never sow any FIFA video played on dynamic. Default or tele always used.

Pro Evo 6 times with the closest camera available within the game. Ahh!

I also play on dynamic camera. It is always frustrating when I play against friends. They just can't used to that camera.

Grr FFS.

Haven't had a chance to play since Sunday, got home from work this evening looking forward to playing.. Mandatory 29Gb update that still hasn't finished downloading. Can't even play Kickoff while until it's finished. That's me out of that until tomorrow night.

When does the Beta end?

EDIT: Nevermind, 28th. Longer than i thought. Plenty of time to get some vids up for you guys. I'll try do a few with different Camera angles and Net settings for you guys.

Awesome!

Good to know I'm not the only one who actually is playing on that camera. I never sow any FIFA video played on dynamic. Default or tele always used.

Pro Evo 6 times with the closest camera available within the game. Ahh!

I dont like fifa "default" and tele cause sliders dont work properly, and its too far from TV.

Looks like the same for me. Are you on PS4 or XBone?

It's a friend of mine. On Ps4.
A quote from beta forum
"The general feel of the feedback on this forum was that the slightly slower pace of the game was a breath of fresh air, resulting in a much more authentic and tactical feeling game. I didn't see a single topic complaining about the game being too slow, and if there were any they were heavily outweighed by praise for the change in tempo. This is why the increased speed after the patch seems so baffling, there was seemingly no call for it here. If this is your solution to the passing/shooting feeling unresponsive then it is unfortunately a very disappointing one. The return to high tempo FIFA makes the game feel like a recycled 16, with added low shots and confusing penalties. FIFA has had a lot of complaints thrown at it over the years for being an "annual kit update" (somewhat justifiably) so to have a game that FEELS different, that FEELS more like football, was truly exciting for the vast majority.

The only possible explanation for this change is to address concerns surrounding passing and shooting, and if this is the case it seems like instead of stitching the wound you've amputated there limb.

Mine is just one humble opinion, though I'm sure many people feel the same. FIFA 17 will make millions and be a success regardless of how fast the game feels, however it sends wholly disappointing to have tasted steak, only to be served hot dogs."

Last edited:
Surely you knew it would happen at some point?
Given that it seemed to be a slower game from the get-go, I honestly didn't think they would this time.

Hopefully, once the reviews give it a kicking and the metacritic crumbles, they might reconsider. (Which, given the impressions I've heard so far, I'm fully expecting - besides that, I thought 16 was a decent game, and that got panned.)

This has to be because of online play, faster gameplay surely helps with lag online or something. because every game does this after patch 1
But then why isn't it like that from the start? You don't design a game for the beta test and then go "right, time to prepare it 'for real'"!

Gutted. I get the feeling they just don't know what to do with FIFA now, other than upgrade the graphics and continue counting the money, doing whatever the FUT guys ask in the meantime.

But then why isn't it like that from the start? You don't design a game for the beta test and then go "right, time to prepare it 'for real'"!

Gutted. I get the feeling they just don't know what to do with FIFA now, other than upgrade the graphics and continue counting the money, doing whatever the FUT guys ask in the meantime.

This is why I buy disc based games, cos after the developers fuck it up with patches, I roll back and play vanilla. Thank God I don't play online.

This is why I buy disc based games, cos after the developers fuck it up with patches, I roll back and play vanilla. Thank God I don't play online.
100% agree. I always try to believe that patches only ever do good for games, but in the case of FIFA, it's unbelievable how they just seem to push random buttons and go "ta-da, better game".

The problem is, the gameplay does look improved, but with the AI being the same, it's the exact same situation as before (i.e. I'll love the "organic" feel and player individuality, but hate the overall match experience that the AI gives).

I hate the cliché of "X.5" that people use far too often, but with the upgrade to Frostbite, it really does just look like FIFA 16.5 to me, which is a major disappointment given that I've had enough of the AI in 16 to last me a lifetime.

I'm going to have to try and... gulp... get into Ultimate Team...

100% agree. I always try to believe that patches only ever do good for games, but in the case of FIFA, it's unbelievable how they just seem to push random buttons and go "ta-da, better game".

The problem is, the gameplay does look improved, but with the AI being the same, it's the exact same situation as before (i.e. I'll love the "organic" feel and player individuality, but hate the overall match experience that the AI gives).

I hate the cliché of "X.5" that people use far too often, but with the upgrade to Frostbite, it really does just look like FIFA 16.5 to me, which is a major disappointment given that I've had enough of the AI in 16 to last me a lifetime.

I'm going to have to try and... gulp... get into Ultimate Team...

They give you coins in Ultimate Team, cos it's basically an arcade game. :COAT:

Given that it seemed to be a slower game from the get-go, I honestly didn't think they would this time.

Hopefully, once the reviews give it a kicking and the metacritic crumbles, they might reconsider. (Which, given the impressions I've heard so far, I'm fully expecting - besides that, I thought 16 was a decent game, and that got panned.)

But even with Fifa 16 they started out at press conferences saying they were balancing the game, making it slower and more of a midfield battle. Then as the patches came out it got quicker and more ultra-responsive.

It was only with sliders that you could make it more sim-based. And even then different teams weren't playing in different ways.

I just think that EA have fully realised that UT is where there money is and that's it, end of story. Never again will they make a Fifa game that, out of the box, resembles the real life game it's based on. They've stopped caring about the critics, they're too busy counting the money.

I just think that EA have fully realised that UT is where there money is and that's it, end of story. Never again will they make a Fifa game that, out of the box, resembles the real life game it's based on. They've stopped caring about the critics, they're too busy counting the money.
I absolutely agree, but back in 2012 when I was lucky enough to visit the team in Vancouver, the word "Metacritic" came up a few times. The higher-ups definitely put that score into the equation, even with the best-selling games. If there's a noticeable dip, I think they'll take notice. But otherwise, like you say, they'll keep counting the money.

When Rutter took over, the game was transformed, and I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that. I thought he'd stepped down from that role, but I've just Googled and apparently he hasn't... But either way, the gameplay over the last 3-4 years is 100x better than it was before, but the Metacritic keeps slipping. If it happens again this year (and especially if PES manages to break sales records), I think something will change for next year.

The AI doesn't look like a priority though, for anything other than online teammate AI. But saying that, there's a career mode beta every year. Why, if they don't care about it? (But they can't do, given the "new features" and the same AI.)

Sad but true, cause it´s all about making money nowadays.
To be honest...and I´m probably outing myself right now, I find the concept of UT very good, if the gameplay wasn´t so frigging arcadey and fast.

The concept around is great, but they should get rid of those extra boost cards like "hawk", "sentinel" etc.. Building your team, buying your players, getting your coach, working on team chemistry and all that...good for people who like micro transactions, but also possible to get a good team if you don´t pay a single dime for FUT.
I did that the last two years when I was trading cards, until I get fed up.

The FUT web app and the FUT companion app for mobile, is also a great addition to form your team outside of the game.

I have played FUT 15 and FUT 16 to some extent until it completely pissed me off.
The first matches in the lower divisions with lower teams have been really nice, thx to the gameplay.

But getting better players and getting to the higher divisions like div 5 or 4 and higher, the matches turned completely hectic and ugly.
Hardcore pressing and kick and rush at its best with players trying to win at all costs.

I guess I´ll do that with 17 as well.
Playing it until I can´t take it no more.

Why don´t they just buld another mode named FUT SIM for example?
I mean, they built FUT DRAFT, so they could do this too.

Keep the regular FUT mode, so the kids stay happy and add FUT SIM, which is more tactical with a slower pace.
I´d play that for sure.

I've found online is a gamble as usual, you'll get the dick who does the instant run up the middle turn dribble rain-bow bs. Then i played against a guy who played as Leicester and they played like that fast paced counter attack constantly putting your backs under pressure Vardy running behind. But you will get more tramps playing tramp cheap football that kills online for me.

Back
Top Bottom