FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

If done right I think that could very nicely (and realistically), slow the gameplay down to make it more real life comparable. The problem is EA never in living memory implement new features/technology well the first time they add them.

Then it'll be patched to increase the speed 200% so that FUT players are happy.

It looks similar to the PES 2014 feature that allowed you to "move" the weight of your body to push opponents away while shielding the ball or to dispossess the ball carrier while defending.
I'm sincerely curious to see if it will also be controlled the same way or, at least, in a similar fashion.

It looks similar to the PES 2014 feature that allowed you to "move" the weight of your body to push opponents away while shielding the ball or to dispossess the ball carrier while defending.
I'm sincerely curious to see if it will also be controlled the same way or, at least, in a similar fashion.

I had the same thought when I´ve seen this.

I actually liked that feature in PES 2014 and used it a lot.
I should have been improved a bit though instead of deleting it in 2015.

If done right I think that could very nicely (and realistically), slow the gameplay down to make it more real life comparable. The problem is EA never in living memory implement new features/technology well the first time they add them.

Very true statement. Implementation of their collision detection was poor, and the rag-doll physics were underwhelming (although comical).

My initial impression of this video is I just hope the animation doesn't become the one we see when the CPU protects the ball in the corner. Proper way to shield the ball from a defender is not literally your back facing goal, it's at an angle. Just like you do not defend with your shoulder square to a player, you defend with either your left shoulder or right shoulder facing the ball carrier. FIFA got this animation right in FIFA 14, and 15, but only a canned animation that would show up after the initial sequence of square shoulder defending was broken through.

The shielding/physical play has got to look natural, and cannot be a "locked" animation as if a button-mashing display is about to prompt. I also hope they do not overlook the role of the defending player. While they are being shielded, they cannot just stay back and "accept" the status quo. I hope they build the animation of a defender doing everything he can to try to swipe at the ball, or even a percentage of foul animations occur instead.

EA's formula is always going to be "common football events = new gameplay features", I get that, but previous engines did not execute these features properly. I hope they see the cause and effect of these gameplay events, and build from there. Chances are this is the game we're going to have though, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

The better shielding looks like it has potential, but the tussle animations looked a bit dull in that video. It would have been nice to see more variety. 16 already has great barging and shirt tugging animations and gameplay, and I didn't see anything new in the 17 video there.

marco-reus-fifa-17-cover-2.jpg

https://www.easports.com/fifa/cover-vote-winner
Reus is the winner of voting for the cover star. Good. I voted for him.

EA's formula is always going to be "common football events = new gameplay features" said:
This is my big problem with these EA announcements. It's enough to make me very cynical. In real life players use shielding to buy time and wait for other players to find space. But in Fifa you never need to do this. The defence marking is so bad that you'll always have someone to pass to. Therefore the only time you'll use shielding is if you get bored with pass-pass-pass.

This is true. Too many features added purely for aesthetics without affecting how you play the game.

Problem is that if they force you to use new mechanisms the arcade players think it's a flaw in the game. Look at defending on FIFA 16 people said it was broken before they even tried to learn the mechanics. People who play PES are the same and sorry to say quite a few are play testers invited by the companies themselves.
Arcade players rule the world.

Yes Arcade is indeed the ruler. I hope Fifa stays arcade. Hate how players takes ages to turn, to kick, pass etc in simulation. Feels like input lag. Pes 10 was worst.

Let Pes stay on simulation while Fifa on arcade. We don't need two arcade or two simulation game.

This is true. Too many features added purely for aesthetics without affecting how you play the game.

Problem is that if they force you to use new mechanisms the arcade players think it's a flaw in the game. Look at defending on FIFA 16 people said it was broken before they even tried to learn the mechanics. People who play PES are the same and sorry to say quite a few are play testers invited by the companies themselves.
Arcade players rule the world.

i agree 100%..
but eventually they will run out of offensive features, and will be forced to make defensive ones...maybe by the 22nd century.

Next fool to deliberately take the thread off topic gets an infraction.

IF YOU WANT TO TALK PES WE HAVE DOZENS OF THREADS FOR IT, USE THEM.

Yep. I don't understand why EA didn't extend partnership contract with Barcelona (expired this month after 3 years). No Camp Nou and no face update in FIFA 17 for Barca. Very sad day.

That is annoying. Jesus. I hate exclusivity licensing. It ruins our experience for both games. So fucking annoying.

That is annoying. Jesus. I hate exclusivity licensing. It ruins our experience for both games. So fucking annoying.

Strange how now is annoying , befor was not .
Or when is exclusive for PES is annoying, when is for FIFA is ok and... acceptable .

Or all will now say "never been OK" but if you notice , always raise the ISSUES about "unfair exclusives rights" only when PES get such a thing.
:COAT:

nah i dont think so its really annoying for....console users...especially console users who play FIFA(no edit mode in FIFA at all by now). but hey everyone who buys the games stuffed with exclusive deals will encourage EA/Konami to get more

Strange how now is annoying , befor was not .
Or when is exclusive for PES is annoying, when is for FIFA is ok and... acceptable .

Or all will now say "never been OK" but if you notice , always raise the ISSUES about "unfair exclusives rights" only when PES get such a thing.
:COAT:

I've always been annoyed. I live in America where EA have that shit exclusivity license over the NFL.

The other thing is that PES has generally always had a very active editing community that took care of these issues, so even if it was annoying, it was fixable. But as a PC player, I stopped caring about PES since we started getting the shittier version. FIFA has a good editing scene, but it's not what PES was at its height.

So this is annoying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom