FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

They must know the lighting is way off. EA aren't stupid... I hope.

Yeah, they might make it worse in full version.

Compare fifa 14 demo and full version (Pc/Ps360). The lighting got bland and pale in full version. Cloth wrinkle textures got worse and were almost invisible. As a result, players looked like they were wearing cylindrical toilet paper.

Fifa 2005 had 3d grass, got removed from fifa 06. Fifa 07 Pc had 3d grass in some of the official videos (ex: interactive leagues video) but it wasnt present in full game.

Fifa Rtwc 06- World cup 06 on x360 had 3d grass- and Fifa 07 x360 had 3d grass during match intro cutscene. It was removed since Fifa 08.

Fifa Rtwc 06- Fifa 11's jerseys 3d model had animation. Since Fifa 12- only pants 3d model had animation. Atleast the wrinkle texture animation on shirt was present.

Fifa 14 Ng brought back shirts 3d model animation. Now with probably realtime physics. Got scrapped again since fifa 15 and only pants had realtime physics.

Compare Fifa 10pc with fifa 09pc. Fifa 10 was absolute garbage in graphics.

So I don't think EA's gonna fix it. I just hope they wont make it worse.

Cant wait for the demo and early access. You think that for the gameplay we will need to wait for the gamescom.

Additionally, we tuned the CPU AI to have more variety in play-styles, both offensively and defensively based on the team's attributes.

This does not suggest every team will play direct. In fact it's the straight opposite.

This does not suggest every team will play direct. In fact it's the straight opposite.
But before that, he says:

We heard from fans who were unhappy that the CPU kept possession for too long, leading to them just passing it back and holding on to the ball. Now, the CPU will play more directly while the player should have more of the ball. When the player has the more of the ball, they're having more fun.

Which does suggest all teams will be more direct - and that "fun" is the focus (that last line is really frustrating to me).

He's saying that the CPU no longer keeps possession "for too long", so to me that says, no matter what the styles are, if the game suddenly goes "shit, I've kept the ball too long, the player isn't having fun, I need to give possession away", then it starts being direct. Which is, IMO, really disappointing.

EDIT: But I guess until the demo is in our hands, we don't know for sure.

Last edited:
But before that, he says:

Which does suggest all teams will be more direct - and that "fun" is the focus (that last line is really frustrating to me).

He's saying that the CPU no longer keeps possession "for too long", so to me that says, no matter what the styles are, if the game suddenly goes "shit, I've kept the ball too long, the player isn't having fun, I need to give possession away", then it starts being direct. Which is, IMO, really disappointing.

EDIT: But I guess until the demo is in our hands, we don't know for sure.

That really sounds like they are resorting to the older days of FIFA where the AI would just go forward, forward, forward like there's no tomorrow. But the last bit that I quoted earlier contradicts with his statement if he really meant what he said and I can only hope the variety in play styles do inject a patient passing style of play to the respective sides and the direct approach where necessary.

He's referring to the fact that the AI tended to dominate possession regardless of the sliders or teams involved. So I'd say it's somewhat promising that they've looked into that.

Last edited:
I think the computer in FIFA on World Class is quite direct as they are.

I think it may be because I myself play very possesion based football and always end games against the CPU with 60%+ possesion.

He's referring to the fact that the AI tended to dominate possession regardless of the sliders or teams involved. So I'd say it's somewhat promising.
It did on FIFA 16's release, but I'd say the patches cut down on this "over-possession", and in doing so, made matches against the AI more "samey". That's my fear - playing as Liverpool against Man City in the original release, Man City didn't seem interested in scoring on the highest difficulty, but now, they'll put together some unstoppable moves to score instead - as will a lower-league team when you play them in the cup, even if you put out a full-strength side.

Without playing the game it's difficult to know what's true - but my frustration comes from that terrible interview being A) so short and B) containing two contradictory statements within paragraphs of each-other.

I'd love to be able to conduct an interview with their gameplay guys and ask them about the difficulty levels - how they code them, whether they think you should be able to beat a team two leagues below you on the hardest difficulty or whether they think painting the entire experience with the "hard as nails" brush is more important to prevent boredom, etc... There's so many questions I'd like to ask.

But instead, we get "AI teams will be more direct" and "there will be more AI team styles". For all we know, those "team styles" could be "direct to the wingers", "direct through the middle" and "shoot on sight"...

It's like how they're talking about attackers "ranking" space - if the guy JUST tacked on "depending on their intelligence" to the end of that, I'd be DELIGHTED. But instead, it sounds like every player will create space and opportunities.

Last edited:
Personally I felt the initial CPU uber-possession in defence was a direct reaction to how easy it was in FIFA 15 to force the CPU to lose the ball with high pressure from your strikers.

But it was over reactive to a fault - they basically made it so you can't close down the CPU defenders - your players will always create an outlet for them, and you'll never intercept. It's kind of farcical, even the keeper 'knows' they're fine to take a touch and play a soft 5 yard pass 2 feet from your attacker, because clearly the outcome has been determined.

I just stopped pressing before the halfway line. So it worked on me. If you did press, a team losing 2-0 would never leave their half and just lose. Pretty shocking programming in my opinion, but doesn't seem like EA care about single player much these days.

I think we're definetely going to get a La Liga package in terms of the presentation. Notice all of the games they've shown are friendlies with BPL vs. La Liga, Serie A vs. La Liga etc. I expect they'll also add the Copa del rey which is huge for me personally.

I would welcome that news.

If La Liga or any of the other leagues for that matter got its own unique presentation like Bundesliga and EPL has, it would be awesome!

Honestly, if they make the custom tactics work, we wouldn't have any problem. We can then customize how each team plays. But for some unknown reason, after FIFA 14, they don't work.

It's all about implementation. Remember FIFA 16 demo? How amazing it was. It had all the features they were talking about in the marketing campaign. Then out of the box...*poof!*...it was all gone. Only now in 1.07 does it feel closer, but still far off from what the demo had.

Hi Matt:BYE:
(Yes me from o.s) That's exactly what it is, and what they do next!. I see the problem as Fut vs Sim, and it will not change before the two separated in the engine itself. And of course it can be done, but the question is whether there is money in it ?. But if we look objectively at it, which company will bet on something that they can not serve on more than one occasion?. There is no money in sim, unless someone finds a brilliant way to pull money out of us Sim players ?.

There is no money in sim, unless someone finds a brilliant way to pull money out of us Sim players ?.
How about... A pay-to-unlock "advanced" offline manager game mode, featuring staff management, more in-depth staff and player conversations (including being able to talk to players yourself, rather than waiting for them to talk to you), more training options (not just individuals but weekly training sessions with focus that makes a real difference to your ability to win the next match), more scouting options (I'd like a scout who predicts the formation and line-up of the next opponent, for example)... Even reserve/youth-team management options (not playing the games, but knowing their league position, their results, their form). All the stuff we'd love, but that the casual wouldn't.

I know you're talking about gameplay, but there'd have to be realistic gameplay for all of that to be worth fiddling with in the first place - and yes, all of that would cost money to develop, so if it's released as DLC, we can pay that cost...

Failing that, and slightly unrelated, a pay-to-play online manager mode would be a dream, for me. Real leagues and real transfers, as opposed to buying/winning cards and being a Premier League-level team in your first week of playing the game.

How about... A pay-to-unlock "advanced" offline manager game mode, featuring staff management, more in-depth staff and player conversations (including being able to talk to players yourself, rather than waiting for them to talk to you), more training options (not just individuals but weekly training sessions with focus that makes a real difference to your ability to win the next match), more scouting options (I'd like a scout who predicts the formation and line-up of the next opponent, for example)... Even reserve/youth-team management options (not playing the games, but knowing their league position, their results, their form). All the stuff we'd love, but that the casual wouldn't.
Sure I'd buy that career mode "expansion" but if they are going to charge me extra money for an improved career mode I expect them to also release a FIFA without FUT and with a different price tag (on top of which we could then add the career mode expansion). Why should I pay for something I don't care about, after all?
My dream would be a "basic" FIFA marketed at around 40 euros with expansions that you could buy separately, more or less like this (even if I know it's not gonna happen anytime soon)...

FIFA 17 'Basic' edition - Price tag 40€
  • All you need for playing against friends, including...
  • Full DB and full assets (all stadia, all kits, all boots)
  • Access to offline friendlies and tournaments (with the chance to create custom ones)
  • Access to training mode

FIFA 17 Online expansion - Price tag 10€
  • Enjoy unlimited access to the online modes (online friendlies, online seasons, pro clubs)

FIFA 17 FUT expansion - Price tag 10€
  • Add unlimited access to FUT (market, online and offline seasons, tournaments, happy hours) to the 'basic' edition of FIFA.

FIFA 17 Career expansion - Price tag 10€
  • Live an unprecedented single player experience with these contents being added to the basic edition:
  • Career mode (with all of the improvements mentioned in your post), playable both as a manager and as a player
  • Creation Centre fully compatible with career mode
  • The Journey

FIFA 17 Complete edition - Price tag 60€
  • All of the features in a single game:
  • Enjoy the deepest career mode ever
  • Play as Alex Hunter in 'The Journey'
  • Play online against people from all over the world
  • Join the other FUT players wherever, whenever: trade on your smartphone, via the web-app and ingame. Manage your squad everywhere, everytime so you can come home and find it ready to play.

Last edited:

I know you're talking about gameplay, but there'd have to be realistic gameplay for all of that to be worth fiddling with in the first place - and yes, all of that would cost money to develop, so if it's released as DLC, we can pay that cost...

Failing that, and slightly unrelated, a pay-to-play online manager mode would be a dream, for me. Real leagues and real transfers, as opposed to buying/winning cards and being a Premier League-level team in your first week of playing the game.

First of all, you come with some really good ideas:COOL:. The key for me is gameplay. If you love the game as it is or becomes when it has been updated, so would you like to pay for extras sooner or later?, no doubt. But tell me when or how long have SIM players been happy with FIFA ?. It is in periods where Eas develops via FUT by more or random approaches SIM players and their wishes. But why would EA change something which they earn a fortune ?. It does not happen before the day the majority of customers start questioning their product. And if you take 100 purchase of FIFA how many % are minor and buy the game without critical approach ?. The rest of us are not better, for we hope that this year it happens the game will be "perfect". But I love to play FIFA and PES despite all the mistakes, and we have come a long way since 94.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely will use it.....if all the new features work with balance? Fifa17 is going to be some game. I personally can't wait

Lol I thought it was one of the best inclusions I have seen so far

Agree

"i try to use my booty" -Eden hazard

Sure I'd buy that career mode "expansion" but if they are going to charge me extra money for an improved career mode I expect them to also release a FIFA without FUT and with a different price tag (on top of which we could then add the career mode expansion). Why should I pay for something I don't care about, after all?
My dream would be a "basic" FIFA marketed at around 40 euros with expansions that you could buy separately, more or less like this (even if I know it's not gonna happen anytime soon)...

FIFA 17 'Basic' edition - Price tag 40€
  • All you need for playing against friends, including...
  • Full DB and full assets (all stadia, all kits, all boots)
  • Access to offline friendlies and tournaments (with the chance to create custom ones)
  • Access to training mode

FIFA 17 Online expansion - Price tag 10€
  • Enjoy unlimited access to the online modes (online friendlies, online seasons, pro clubs)

FIFA 17 FUT expansion - Price tag 10€
  • Add unlimited access to FUT (market, online and offline seasons, tournaments, happy hours) to the 'basic' edition of FIFA.

FIFA 17 Career expansion - Price tag 10€
  • Live an unprecedented single player experience with these contents being added to the basic edition:
  • Career mode (with all of the improvements mentioned in your post), playable both as a manager and as a player
  • Creation Centre fully compatible with career mode
  • The Journey

FIFA 17 Complete edition - Price tag 60€
  • All of the features in a single game:
  • Enjoy the deepest career mode ever
  • Play as Alex Hunter in 'The Journey'
  • Play online against people from all over the world
  • Join the other FUT players wherever, whenever: trade on your smartphone, via the web-app and ingame. Manage your squad everywhere, everytime so you can come home and find it ready to play.

:CONFUSE:

Is that legit ?? I wanna buy fifa just for online mode , for 10 Euros.. take my money ! I'm in !

In that last video the way the Man Utd defender just runs away from the ball is just disgusting, They need to sort this stuff out.

I can't wait for players to spam with this in corners. This will cause more frustration and will waste a lot of time. Good job EA, you done it again.

Is that legit ?? I wanna buy fifa just for online mode , for 10 Euros.. take my money ! I'm in !
You'd have to buy the "core" package for 40 euros then add the online mode, for a total of 50 euros (at least, that's what I was thinking about).
It's a pricing scheme often seen in racing simlators where you pay a smaller amount for the "core" version of the game but then you have to purchase additional cars/tracks/online subscriptions if you want to expand the game.

Back
Top Bottom