FIFA 15 News & Discussion Thread

Hi nerf

I understand what you are saying. I have since found when defending to sprint in between movement changes, to be more tactical in defending.

I have yet to play against assisted so it may not work but it does against the CPU.

re: defending, and an attempt to explain how I think it is screwed over by the controls and player movement physics.

I feel like you have two states as a defender: too slow or too fast.

Just moving the left stick, even without applying jockey, makes you crab/shuffle. Too slowly to keep up with dribblers.

Applying sprint puts you into an all-or-nothing state carrying tons of momentum. You either barge through the opponent to take the ball, or you've sold yourself too far to recover.

The transition between the two extreme states feels really awkward to me. Always switching between crab-state and space-rocket-state.

This is not only difficult for you, but it kills the AI too.

This links to 7m 29s in one of Bitter's uploads: >>> YouTube - FIFA 15 Broadcast Camera / full manual controls

Pedro (Human) starts on a run up the wing. Ghoulam (CPU) comes racing across to intercept. Pedro then makes the most simple change of direction to head slightly infield... and look where Ghoulam ends up. He overshoots by about six-to-eight yards.

I don't know what difficulty Bitter plays on, but... that can't be right. This momentum-based clumsiness happens to the AI all throughout the video (the Iniesta goal, for example).

Meanwhile, when you dribble with the ball you have all sorts of smooth control over how you turn and swerve and accelerate and stop and start. Surely moving without the ball should be easier.

And even when you're holding the jockey button... you'd think this function would allow you to change lateral direction more quickly, side to side. But it doesn't, or at least not enough to be balanced.

I understand the theory and appeal behind defending patiently and tactically, I've been an advocate of it for a long time (before 'Tactical Defending' was even a thing in the game). But I just think the movement of defenders (Human and AI) is being hamstrung by the controls and phsyics in a really off-putting way, imo.

That's great news. Worried about defending though. It seems EA tried to improve the dribbling and beating a player by buggering up the defensive side of things. Maybe I will get the hang of it with enough practice

I played the PC demo for a week. At first, i was surprised by how it look and play. The animation, atmosphere, the presentation.. they are all nice. Note that : I haven't played FIFA since last month. So new game effect ?

But the last two days, i think the ball physic feels like FIFA 2014 PC. Especially when it happens to shooting. Probably just could not get used to FIFA's shooting ball physic in general.

Does anyone feel any improvement in shooting ball physic ?

I'm something of a novice when it comes to buying games digitally. I'm seeing people mentioning buying it from the US PS store. I do have a US account but if you buy it on there do you need to use your US account anytime you play it?

I'm something of a novice when it comes to buying games digitally. I'm seeing people mentioning buying it from the US PS store. I do have a US account but if you buy it on there do you need to use your US account anytime you play it?

On PS4, you can buy with your US account - but be warned, if you are someone that buys Ultimate Team coins/points, then you would have to redeem them on that account.

Otherwise you can play the game using any account on your PS4.

Once you download it, if it says its "LOCKED" then you need to go into your US account settings and set the US account as the Primary Account for the device. This does nothing as far as I can see, but unlock the game(s) - everything else works exactly the same.

I can recommend Play-Asia for the US PSN points, but plenty of places do them.

If I buy it at Hongkong store is it possible to play it today in the evening, cause it will be playable at 00:01 HK time??

I have the same doubt, in fact my early access version of the game was downloaded in the HK xbox live since it was the first one to release it for download, i wonder if i keep my XBOX in the HK store i will be able to play the game in about 4-5 hours(wich will be the 23th 00:01h in HK)

On PS4, you can buy with your US account - but be warned, if you are someone that buys Ultimate Team coins/points, then you would have to redeem them on that account.

Once you download it, if it says its "LOCKED" then you need to go into your US account settings and set the US account as the Primary Account for the device. This does nothing as far as I can see, but unlock the game(s) - everything else works exactly the same.

Thanks!

Really liking the trial via EA Access on the XBOne. However, I sincerely hope the game is patched on general launch as the shooting from distance is extremely over-powered - especially volleys and even headers. I'm playing through Ultimate Team currently with a 62 rated Bronze team, yet I'm scoring some absolutely incredible goals from all over the pitch by just taking pot shots. While I'm enjoying the goals, it's quite frustrating and my enjoyment is getting less as I'm beating teams quite comprehensively.

Simply chip a ball up and strike it first time. 50 rated players scoring Ibrahimovic type goals.

The corner volley goal/shot bug is also still there, but I'm sure this is purely down to the shooting being far too over-powered.

Rest of the game is great.

I've not enjoyed one second of the demo. Every game on the new FIFA plays out like that one. There are no bore draws. Just gutted, personally.
All can be easily fixed on the PC version. I play my modded demo, legendary difficulty, 15 minutes halfs, 0-0 scores with both myself and the CPU having low shot totals (8-12). Slow buildup, possession football, plenty of fouls and free kicks, etc. FIFA 15 is a whole new game, the base game is very good and is quite excellent especially after modding. FIFA 14 doesn't come close. That's why I bought a gaming PC, for this reason alone, to be able to fix these niggling issues. You can either be gutted, or you can do something about it and play a fantastic game this year. This is a choice you have.

All can be easily fixed on the PC version. I play my modded demo, legendary difficulty, 15 minutes halfs, 0-0 scores with both myself and the CPU having low shot totals (8-12). Slow buildup, possession football, plenty of fouls and free kicks, etc. FIFA 15 is a whole new game, the base game is very good and is quite excellent especially after modding. FIFA 14 doesn't come close. That's why I bought a gaming PC, for this reason alone, to be able to fix these niggling issues. You can either be gutted, or you can do something about it and play a fantastic game this year. This is a choice you have.

Which mode do you use? Slow gameplay interests me, thanks :)

Really liking the trial via EA Access on the XBOne. However, I sincerely hope the game is patched on general launch as the shooting from distance is extremely over-powered - especially volleys and even headers. I'm playing through Ultimate Team currently with a 62 rated Bronze team, yet I'm scoring some absolutely incredible goals from all over the pitch by just taking pot shots. While I'm enjoying the goals, it's quite frustrating and my enjoyment is getting less as I'm beating teams quite comprehensively.

Simply chip a ball up and strike it first time. 50 rated players scoring Ibrahimovic type goals.

The corner volley goal/shot bug is also still there, but I'm sure this is purely down to the shooting being far too over-powered.

Rest of the game is great.

In the day 1 patch fix list they say they have tweaked shooting and GK positioning/AI
PviWN1e.jpg

Im pretty sure this patch isnt applied in the early access yet, it might be today with the game release...

That's all well and good for offline but doesn't apply online - and I'd rather play other people than AI, even if the AI was great (and I think we're years away from AI teams playing different types of football convincingly, rather than just playing the way it knows how to win).

Nerf has put it perfectly, more than I have managed to articulate (the whole defenders either crab-walking too slow or running yards past the man on the ball, with no in-between thing). All I can do is position defenders and hope the opposition doesn't score and it seems like my opponents have the same issue (and again, if the AI on World Class ships 3 goals a game, it seems more than just a "learn how to defend" problem). The only way I'm getting the ball is by occasionally running into the opponent practically by accident, knocking the ball away.

It's not something they'll look to patch either because goals sell football games and no kids are going to complain that their 100 chemistry 99 rated team are scoring too many goals...

Although, I will say this - in the last 15 minutes I had until the trial expired, I did a quick comparison between FIFA 14 Be A Pro (offline) and FIFA 15's (as a CAM, World Class difficulty), and absolutely bizarrely, I found myself winning maybe 30% of attempted tackles in 15 compared to 0% in 14. Can't work that one out, but Be A Pro certainly felt less "scripted" (for want of a better word).

I do think there's some significant gameplay changes in there - I saw a deflected shot loop in that was magnificent, and if that wasn't scripted (which I don't believe it was), it's sublime. I see major improvements for sure. But I definitely think it's at the expense of realism in some situations. Namely defending.

If a mate gets it I may borrow it and beg someone on here to give me some defending lessons so I can see if I'm missing something major. ;)

Other way around, mate. You set the PS4 as the primary console for that account. Games bought from other regions will play fine then although sometimes you can pre-order and they will still show a lock when you try to play from your UK account. But just go into the US account and Restore Licences fixes that.

I pretty much never buy disks now, not when digital is not only £37 and the convenience of not swapping disks.

Got FIFA preloaded from the US store and the timer saying it's ready to unlock tomorrow morning before work :)

Also you can buy US PSN credit from Amazon.com if you set your billing address as a US address. Your bank may charge a bit for an overseas transaction but its only ever been £1.50 for me with Halifax. If you know there's a few games you want, try to buy the larger credit like $100 to cut down on bank fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all well and good for offline but doesn't apply online - and I'd rather play other people than AI, even if the AI was great (and I think we're years away from AI teams playing different types of football convincingly, rather than just playing the way it knows how to win).

Nerf has put it perfectly, more than I have managed to articulate (the whole defenders either crab-walking too slow or running yards past the man on the ball, with no in-between thing). All I can do is position defenders and hope the opposition doesn't score and it seems like my opponents have the same issue (and again, if the AI on World Class ships 3 goals a game, it seems more than just a "learn how to defend" problem). The only way I'm getting the ball is by occasionally running into the opponent practically by accident, knocking the ball away.

It's not something they'll look to patch either because goals sell football games and no kids are going to complain that their 100 chemistry 99 rated team are scoring too many goals...

Although, I will say this - in the last 15 minutes I had until the trial expired, I did a quick comparison between FIFA 14 Be A Pro (offline) and FIFA 15's (as a CAM, World Class difficulty), and absolutely bizarrely, I found myself winning maybe 30% of attempted tackles in 15 compared to 0% in 14. Can't work that one out, but Be A Pro certainly felt less "scripted" (for want of a better word).

I do think there's some significant gameplay changes in there - I saw a deflected shot loop in that was magnificent, and if that wasn't scripted (which I don't believe it was), it's sublime. I see major improvements for sure. But I definitely think it's at the expense of realism in some situations. Namely defending.

If a mate gets it I may borrow it and beg someone on here to give me some defending lessons so I can see if I'm missing something major. ;)

I just had a few games online and I wad defending fine. It really is all down to timing. I jockey, Sprint to catch up, jockey again, close off passing lanes, second guess my opponent and then at step in and take the ball. Honestly don't know what the fuss is about defending.

I just had a few games online and I wad defending fine. It really is all down to timing. I jockey, Sprint to catch up, jockey again, close off passing lanes, second guess my opponent and then at step in and take the ball. Honestly don't know what the fuss is about defending.

Sometimes the penalty area will turn into a complete Keystone Cop clusterfuck when I'm trying to clear the ball, but other than that I don't have any issues with the defending game.

re: defending, and an attempt to explain how I think it is screwed over by the controls and player movement physics.

I feel like you have two states as a defender: too slow or too fast.

Just moving the left stick, even without applying jockey, makes you crab/shuffle. Too slowly to keep up with dribblers.

Applying sprint puts you into an all-or-nothing state carrying tons of momentum. You either barge through the opponent to take the ball, or you've sold yourself too far to recover.

The transition between the two extreme states feels really awkward to me. Always switching between crab-state and space-rocket-state.

This is not only difficult for you, but it kills the AI too.

This links to 7m 29s in one of Bitter's uploads: >>> YouTube - FIFA 15 Broadcast Camera / full manual controls

Pedro (Human) starts on a run up the wing. Ghoulam (CPU) comes racing across to intercept. Pedro then makes the most simple change of direction to head slightly infield... and look where Ghoulam ends up. He overshoots by about six-to-eight yards.

I don't know what difficulty Bitter plays on, but... that can't be right. This momentum-based clumsiness happens to the AI all throughout the video (the Iniesta goal, for example).

Meanwhile, when you dribble with the ball you have all sorts of smooth control over how you turn and swerve and accelerate and stop and start. Surely moving without the ball should be easier.

And even when you're holding the jockey button... you'd think this function would allow you to change lateral direction more quickly, side to side. But it doesn't, or at least not enough to be balanced.

I understand the theory and appeal behind defending patiently and tactically, I've been an advocate of it for a long time (before 'Tactical Defending' was even a thing in the game). But I just think the movement of defenders (Human and AI) is being hamstrung by the controls and phsyics in a really off-putting way, imo.

great post.

That camera angle in the post just quoted makes it look like the game doesn't flow as nice to me. Don't like it. I think it makes defending a bit harder too as the stick movements are different to normal side on view.

Back
Top Bottom