FIFA 15 News & Discussion Thread

Worrying perspective that.

For me there had to be a change to defending. The constant pressure in FIFA 14 was aggravating, and they needed to ensure doing so would leave you exposed.

I found the balance/difficulty against the CPU fine. But yeah always had at the back of my mind it would become imbalanced online, especially with the advantage given to pace and dribbling again.

I'm hoping that it just takes a few days of adapting before competently being able to defend. From what I remember of the demo it was all about doing less rather than more. As long as you covered and anticipated the danger areas, you were more or less fine.

---------------------------------

On a side note - would it be possible to purchase the game through the US PSN store on Tuesday when it's released? Is there any restriction or legal issue with doing this.

United playing today in a mixture of kit, it's about time they got this right. Also Phil dowd is neither slim or young so why put him in the bloody game at all?

No pro team knows goes to defend these days so to expect FIFA to have great defending is wishful thinking.
Not one team I've seen play in any league this season looks capable of keeping clean sheets. The art of Defending is dead.

Just to confirm, you can play a single season of any league without having to go into career mode?

Yes and cups like the FA cup, Capital One cup , Johnson's Paint trophy and each country's equivalent

Just been looking at the match day live part. It tells you all the news from your favourite teams league and your teams next game and form plus the league and top scorers. Quite a nice feature.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the defending as far as I'm concerned. Sounds like some are just crap at it. Time your tackles. I get skinned at times but that should happen. I cut passing lanes, read what my opponent is going to do and time the tackle.

No pro team knows goes to defend these days so to expect FIFA to have great defending is wishful thinking.
Not one team I've seen play in any league this season looks capable of keeping clean sheets. The art of Defending is dead.

This is just...wrong. Chelsea won a CL on that very principle just a couple years ago.

One thing that is starting to disappoint me is the fact that all players have close dribbling skills and turn similar when activated, am not happy with that, it's a turn off.

I'm getting on just fine with defending too. I find it quite interesting actually.

Then again I'm a legacy defending, non-analog sprinting pleb.
Yes and cups like the FA cup, Capital One cup , Johnson's Paint trophy and each country's equivalent

Just been looking at the match day live part. It tells you all the news from your favourite teams league and your teams next game and form plus the league and top scorers. Quite a nice feature.
Thanks mate.

As soon as I get a 0-0 - or a 1-0 actually - I'll believe it's me. That's what I keep playing it for rather than just throwing in the towel. But I've not had one yet.

Also, legacy defending means it does it all for you so of course there'll be no issues with that, bit like saying you're having no trouble winning games so far but you've been getting your mate to play the matches for you so you're not entirely sure if it's alright or not. ;)

I've not noticed any issues with defending. I use plenty of L2 (using pes layout controls so its the jockey style motion) and pull back and wait for the right moment. I tend to block rather than run unto them and attempt to gain the ball.

I couldn't understand PES's tackling though. I seems to be automated if you hold x. Slide tackles are massively exaggerated so they zip along a few feet which seems odd. And tapping x to tackle just made my players look like idiots as they stand on the spot and stick a leg out.

I actually enjoyed both demos this year and plan to get both. I'm just holding off on hitting pre order on pes until we find out what's happening to option files on ps4/xb1.

Just seen your post about 0-0 or 1-0 scores. I must either be terrible at the game or play a strange shut up shop game plan because most of my games on 14 and the demo end in low scoring affairs. when I played on work class on 14 I had to try to keep it 0-0 just to get that 1 point as I knew if I tried to go forward id lose to Liverpool or city etc.
I'm gonna guess I'm just terrible at the game :(

Last edited:
Just seen your post about 0-0 or 1-0 scores. I must either be terrible at the game or play a strange shut up shop game plan because most of my games on 14 and the demo end in low scoring affairs. when I played on work class on 14 I had to try to keep it 0-0 just to get that 1 point as I knew if I tried to go forward id lose to Liverpool or city etc.
I'm gonna guess I'm just terrible at the game :(
If anyone's terrible it'll be me, I was happy bouncing around the FUT divisions at around division 5 so not exactly great at 14. I have no doubt whatsoever you're better than me... Trust me...

I'll freely admit I'm not great at the defending currently but then it would seem neither are my opponents if a game finishes e.g. 5-3, so I don't think the "it's just you, you're shit at it" argument really works. Sounds a bit aggressively defensive of a product for the sake of it to me. (Not aimed at you obviously...)

Like you say, the defending in the PES demo is heat-seeking granted, but still seems more realistic than defenders floating around unable to stop their man (and every man can dribble as well as the next, so it's 90 minutes of constant counter attacking, every match, no variations).

Either that or by an incredible coincidence all of my opponents play the same way (which is the same way they all played on 14)...

I'll keep at it and hopefully feel like I (or my opponent) has any real control over the defending (rather than it being flustered button-presses) at some point.

What the hell, who revived Chris Davies' account?!
Boo :)

Once a year now, once a year...

Last edited:
As soon as I get a 0-0 - or a 1-0 actually - I'll believe it's me. That's what I keep playing it for rather than just throwing in the towel. But I've not had one yet.

Also, legacy defending means it does it all for you so of course there'll be no issues with that, bit like saying you're having no trouble winning games so far but you've been getting your mate to play the matches for you so you're not entirely sure if it's alright or not. ;)
You mock, but I've found settings that make things enjoyable for me. I'm not trying to prove my lack of skills to anyone else, just have a fun game of virtual footy.

You mock, but I've found settings that make things enjoyable for me. I'm not trying to prove my lack of skills to anyone else, just have a fun game of virtual footy.
Wasn't my intention to mock, sorry. As I've just said, I'm woeful. My point was merely that I don't want to have to say to the game "you take control" because it feels broken. I'd rather have as much control as it will give me, without then crippling that control (which is how it feels to me). Like being given the choice of a chauffeur or a broken steering wheel. I'd rather have a working steering wheel!

If anyone has any tips feel free to enlighten me, I've got one hour left of the trial and I'd like to start enjoying it!

Currently I'm using LT/L2 to move between opposition players and block passes, only pressing A/X when I'm next to the player. Only when I do that, even if I'm practically touching them, they then dance past me - but without pressing it they can anyway...

Last edited:
If anyone's terrible it'll be me, I was happy bouncing around the FUT divisions at around division 5 so not exactly great at 14. I have no doubt whatsoever you're better than me... Trust me...

I'll freely admit I'm not great at the defending currently but then it would seem neither are my opponents if a game finishes e.g. 5-3, so I don't think the "it's just you, you're shit at it" argument really works. Sounds a bit aggressively defensive of a product for the sake of it to me. (Not aimed at you obviously...)

Like you say, the defending in the PES demo is heat-seeking granted, but still seems more realistic than defenders floating around unable to stop their man (and every man can dribble as well as the next, so it's 90 minutes of constant counter attacking, every match, no variations).

Either that or by an incredible coincidence all of my opponents play the same way (which is the same way they all played on 14)...

I'll keep at it and hopefully feel like I (or my opponent) has any real control over the defending (rather than it being flustered button-presses) at some point.

Boo :)

Once a year now, once a year...

I'm not being aggressively defensive, I just don't agree with the assessment you gave of defending. I'm not having the issues you mentioned so just saying. The must be crap bit was a joke btw. I get plenty of thumpings but that's not because of the defending mechanics. If I get skinned for mistiming a challenge then that's my fault. First few games I struggled but started concentrating more and having a bit of patience and I'm making loads more successful challenges now.

Legacy defending still requires a good deal of human input. Admittedly it's more about timing, but keeping a good defensive line, jockeying attackers away from danger and knowing when (and when not) to apply pressure in order to stop the line crumbling is far from an automated experience. Simply sprint pressing the entire match gets you torn apart and kills your player's stamina.

I'm not being aggressively defensive, I just don't agree with the assessment you gave of defending. I'm not having the issues you mentioned so just saying. The must be crap bit was a joke btw. I get plenty of thumpings but that's not because of the defending mechanics. If I get skinned for mistiming a challenge then that's my fault. First few games I struggled but started concentrating more and having a bit of patience and I'm making loads more successful challenges now.
Hopefully then I'll reach a point where I can grasp it. Like I say though, I feel like if all the games are so high-scoring, everyone is in the same boat...

Early days yet though I suppose, perhaps in a month everyone will be defending in a new way and I'll see a few more realistic scorelines.

Out of interest, did you see too many through ball goals in 14, or are you on the side of those who say "there's ways to stop it"? Only it's all I ever saw, it drove me crazy (even though I carried on playing it admittedly, the alternative wasn't really an alternative and God knows it may not be this year knowing their track record with online play), and I didn't agree with the attitude of "it's broken but there's workarounds". The defence just wasn't realistic - whereas at least in the PES demo, constant hopeful through-balls are always mopped up by a properly-positioned defence.

Realism is all I'm after, even if it's at the expense of scorelines (some would say fun)!

Legacy defending still requires a good deal of human input. Admittedly it's more about timing, but keeping a good defensive line, jockeying attackers away from danger and knowing when (and when not) to apply pressure in order to stop the line crumbling is far from an automated experience. Simply sprint pressing the entire match gets you torn apart and kills your player's stamina.
I'd probably enjoy that more then - I wonder if there's an option to use it online though...?

Last edited:
Hopefully then I'll reach a point where I can grasp it. Like I say though, I feel like if all the games are so high-scoring, everyone is in the same boat...

Early days yet though I suppose, perhaps in a month everyone will be defending in a new way and I'll see a few more realistic scorelines.

Out of interest, did you see too many through ball goals in 14, or are you on the side of those who say "there's ways to stop it"? Only it's all I ever saw, it drove me crazy (even though I carried on playing it admittedly, the alternative wasn't really an alternative and God knows it may not be this year knowing their track record with online play), and I didn't agree with the attitude of "it's broken but there's workarounds". The defence just wasn't realistic - whereas at least in the PES demo, constant hopeful through-balls are always mopped up by a properly-positioned defence.

Realism is all I'm after, even if it's at the expense of scorelines (some would say fun)!

I'd probably enjoy that more then - I wonder if there's an option to use it online though...?

I was bored of people attempting the same type of through balls all the time but could defend the majority of them. I notice when my boy is playing that his defenders bomb forward. I just keep telling him to move back. Get that as his first thought when he changes to his defenders. It's what I do and I do ok at cutting the balls out.

I'm getting on just fine with defending too. I find it quite interesting actually.

Then again I'm a legacy defending, non-analog sprinting pleb.

You use R1 as well? I could never train my PES hands to instinctively use R2 so just sacrificed analog. Was forced to use Tactical since that's the only option online, however I now actually think it's much more intuitive.

Anyone with real access comment on playing the CPU? Is there variety in teams? Are your teammates brain dead?

Is it fun at all?
Definitely a difference in teams. I just had a 1-1 (lowest scoring game yet) against FC Metz with Liverpool (offline because I'm not enjoying online, World Class difficulty), whereas the game before I played Bilbao and it was a much faster high-scoring affair.

It's nice to see the AI getting cards and stuff too. Not sure I'd say they play like their real-life counterparts as I've not known a team pass the ball around convincingly (Barcelona do but that's just because their ratings are all so good they never make a wrong move or misplace a pass), all anyone wants to do is attack. But it seems to have a little bit more variation than last year (I'd say there's more difference between good and bad teams). I would have liked to have seen more features in the career mode but it seems fun nonetheless.

As for teammates, I don't see a huge difference - but what I did find was an improvement was the instructions. I told Balotelli to keep running at the defence and he was distracting them enough for me to exploit the holes the opposition defenders left. Need to experiment with that more but running out of trial time... However, it does look quite promising!

CD good to see you back

Where you been all this time?

Hello Coopz :) Only come on once a year now either to express my joy or concern to the more educated football masses (every other discussion board tends to be full of kids who've only played two versions of FIFA and think they're a connoisseur). ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom