FIFA 15 News & Discussion Thread

I've just posted this in the video thread but worth a mention here too...

The last 2 goals on this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re0Eukls7Dc

1. Remy's goal just for the chest and turn. Awesome goal, so fluid.
2. Tadic, the way he's always sort of running to celebrate before its even in.

Overall though, I'm loving the variety of goals this year. Such an improvement on 14 where I only seemed to score tap ins from goalkeeper spills.

The last part I can't stress enough. Other than a few headers that kinda look similar on first glance (case in point 2 stoke goals on the video look very similar). I'm finding that on 15, My build up play will be very different, or the ball spins into the top corner, or it clips a defender, or it loops over the keeper. So even if it feels like the same goal... Often it really isn't.

On 14 I literally went weeks scoring only tap ins, or 1 v 1 goals. This year, I'm scoring long range driven shots, curlers, chips, deflections, sliding toe pokes, diving side headers, low driven shots. But what's really important is... It's not every week. I'm getting LOADS of 0-0 games or 1-0 games where the only goal is moment of brilliance or a lucky break. When I manage to score more than 1 it almost always feels like I've had to work hard for it and catch the other team out as they press to equalise,

Of course I'm using sliders to tweak the gameplay (currently Matts) But this is Easily the best Fifa I've played.... Up there with my fondest memories of classic PES where games just felt right and every goal was an achievement.

In 15 I've found the variety of goals to be very good and very few chances look alike. The problem, and one of the main reasons I struggle to find satisfaction in this game, is that I find the variety in how chances are created to be minimal - it's still waaaayyy too counter-attack dominant with lots of goals coming from a few critical flaws in the defensive AI.

This game excels in the pick up and play department and can be a blast to play in very short bursts but the strengths of FIFA 15 are disappointingly superficial.

Last edited:
The variety of goals is certainly the best FIFA's ever managed really, and it's helped by there not being a single way of scoring that is massively over effective (as heading was in FIFA 14). I do find that the keepers are a bit too good at saving long shots, and not nearly good enough at saving close range shots particularly on the near post, but that doesn't take away from one of FIFA 15's real successes.

I was hoping, with the upgraded keepers, that they'd seem a little more realistic in the sense of anticipating what you're going to do, but they really aren't. Even when it's blindly obvious you're about to slot into the nearpost they won't cover it nor sprawl in anticipation. If you have time, one-on-one goals are pretty much guaranteed from all but the very sharpest angles.

I think FIFA is going in a very OTT "best of the Premier League" super-dribbling 6-goals-a-game direction, and PES (even though I'm looking forward to it) isn't really going in any direction - it's PES and it won't change too much for fear of not selling enough copies.

It's been said for a while now, but with the power that's available on next-gen (and PC), the more hardcore football fans amongst us so badly need a third big player to emerge.

If I was a millionaire, I'd pump all of that money into poaching the biggest programming talent out there and put something together that was for the purists, Football Manager style (constant fixes, community interaction, a passion for the game and not the microtransactions).

A man can dream.

I think FIFA is going in a very OTT "best of the Premier League" super-dribbling 6-goals-a-game direction, and PES (even though I'm looking forward to it) isn't really going in any direction - it's PES and it won't change too much for fear of not selling enough copies.

It's been said for a while now, but with the power that's available on next-gen (and PC), the more hardcore football fans amongst us so badly need a third big player to emerge.

If I was a millionaire, I'd pump all of that money into poaching the biggest programming talent out there and put something together that was for the purists, Football Manager style .

(constant fixes, community interaction, a passion for the game and not the microtransactions).

A man can dream.

I was thinking of the same thing yesterday. they key would be a motion capture studio to capture animations and money to pay a handful of top pros and hire many decent lower league footballers and freestyle footballers.

I think the best bet will be for many of the best patchers and programmers to join up and create a game engine based on football manager's stats. create a game engine and add it into football manager.

I think we should use the cry engine or unreal engine or whatever the best engine available is.

I'm fascinated by the football fusion idea from ea, which failed due to the games being shit but will work with good enough gameplay.

I think the best bet will be for many of the best patchers and programmers to join up and create a game engine based on football manager's stats. create a game engine and add it into football manager.
That's a fantastic idea, but would of course get shut down within weeks if it was made public that the database from another game was being used.

Add some random errors into each attribute, though (and don't admit you're using their database), and you might be onto a winner. ;)

I'm fascinated by the football fusion idea from ea, which failed due to the games being shit but will work with good enough gameplay.
I did love the idea of that - I bought it that year (it was only one year they implemented it, wasn't it) and had immense fun with it until the gameplay proved just too rotten to enjoy.

My two big desires from a new football game are 1) exactly what you just said, and 2) one big online MMO-style environment. I've got pages and pages of design I've written (not that I have the programming skills to program the thing) of how to create an online environment football game where you have "proper" leagues, human transfers and all the rest of it.

I'd love to come home from work and play league matches against opponents in my league, make transfers back and forth, unsettle opponents and all that crap. A true online manager mode instead of a kids game (Ultimate Team obviously), or a game with no investment or permanence (Seasons mode).

I'm so hoping that Pro Evo's take on Ultimate Team is good...

(Apologies for the off-topicness.)

Last edited:
That's a fantastic idea, but would of course get shut down within weeks if it was made public that the database from another game was being used.

Add some random errors into each attribute, though (and don't admit you're using their database), and you might be onto a winner. ;)

I did love the idea of that - I bought it that year (it was only one year they implemented it, wasn't it) and had immense fun with it until the gameplay proved just too rotten to enjoy.

My two big desires from a new football game are 1) exactly what you just said, and 2) one big online MMO-style environment. I've got pages and pages of design I've written (not that I have the programming skills to program the thing) of how to create an online environment football game where you have "proper" leagues, human transfers and all the rest of it.

I'd love to come home from work and play league matches against opponents in my league, make transfers back and forth, unsettle opponents and all that crap. A true online manager mode instead of a kids game (Ultimate Team obviously), or a game with no investment or permanence (Seasons mode).

I'm so hoping that Pro Evo's take on Ultimate Team is good...

(Apologies for the off-topicness.)

No, nothing should be programmed as random at all. Variables is the answer, randomness is a perception, never a constant factor.

I should of said, i think we should contact Si Games and ask them to expand the Football manager project into this idea. They keep on working on the management game and supply the database to a separate live action game, naturally the game should be called 'Football Player' or Players.

We can buy both games put together or buy each separately. Its been clear for years now Football manager goes along nicely but lacks funding to create a suitable live match engine. If we joined together with many of the best patchers and programmers of different disciplines and created a match engine, with some serious funding we can create the engine they need for a third power to happen.

There's little to no way that we will ever create a management database as deep as fm so this is the logical solution is to join forces since we take nothing at all away from their work and business, we only expand it.

We need to start something, find an investor and take this to si games.

I'm thinking of building it on the cry or unreal engine (whichever is better). There are a number of people all over the world who have the puzzle pieces to make this happen. we just need money and a motion Capture studio. Gameplay for example,look what this guy did by himself with no funding. Give this guy a team to work with, imagine the wonders he could do if he was allowed just to focus on gameplay only! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LllWJak4zg4

Last edited:
World class too hard , professional too easy.. With placebo sliders... Plus the sliders negate player individuality , all of my players cannot handle a high ball and trap it, and I'm Roma!!! They touch it once and it flies off there boot

To Chris and Klash, what if we as acomminity as football game freaks started something by way of crowdfunding.

At lest it would give both EA and Konami a kick up their ass. If enough people subscribe, we don't even have to invest fortunes...it should be possible to work with monthly subscriptions. Or am i drezming Willy now ?

I know crowdfunding works the other way, the developers propose a project and ask crowdfunding. Would it work if the customers propose something ?

It probably isn't beyond the realms of feasibility, but you're far more likely to be able to build a development team from within than from without. Unfortunately, despite the problems with current football games, they are technically impressive. There is a reason why there aren't many Kickstarters for sports sims but plenty for almost every other genre. You'd have to get a -very- long way before it will be worth it and work needs to be done in a wide variety of areas (animation, physics, ai, networking etc.) Even if you're relatively successful in making a game, you eventually come up against a wall of costs (motion capture, licenses) that make the sports sim market a monopoly despite the genre's popularity.

I've thought about working on something myself for a long time, but I am limited hugely when it comes to modelling and animation, and the latter is extremely important for FIFA.

Last edited:
My conclusion to both games this year (still basing pes on the demo but i understand there will be minimum gameplay changes) is that both games have their faults. FIFA kick off bug is annoyoing but i only play single player. Likewise the lack of fouls on PES ruins the experience.

However what edges FIFA for me is the unpredictability of the ball and how it spins and deflects. It gives you the feeling of just about anything can happen that PES just doesn't deliver.

The problem is arcade sells, sim doesn't. FIFA's never been about hard-core sim and ensured it had the pick-up-and-play gameplay, licenses etc. PES always seemed to be trying harder to be a sim but this year has resorted to responsive, arcade ping-pong, removing half the animations (first touch errors, momentum, physical tussles, stats having any impact, etc) that create realism but slow it down and create realistic, error-strewn, gritty gameplay...and lo and behold, PES fans are saying the "real" PES is finally back. I guess they wanted fast-faced, arcade ping-pong all along.

Those wanting a real sim are left out in the cold. I wish it was more like the motor-racing gaming world where there are plenty of PC based sim products which seem able to survive in a world dominiated by arcade shit like Forza and GT.

I'm not the big hardcore gamer, so perhaps i'm wrong, but i don't think real Sims are fun to play.
I only know one real sim and that was the Richard Burns rally game. It was unplayable for me and for most people. People who were enjoying it were eithere people who had partipated is rally IRL or liars.

What we need is a combination of both games. Perhaps a more customizable PES with licenses would do. But that is my personal opinion and that might be the problem for crowdfunding,: 1000 people and 1500 different opinions...

PS: Wouln't it be worth to start a new thread about this ? It is fun discussing it.

I'm not the big hardcore gamer, so perhaps i'm wrong, but i don't think real Sims are fun to play.
I only know one real sim and that was the Richard Burns rally game. It was unplayable for me and for most people. People who were enjoying it were eithere people who had partipated is rally IRL or liars.

What we need is a combination of both games. Perhaps a more customizable PES with licenses would do. But that is my personal opinion and that might be the problem for crowdfunding,: 1000 people and 1500 different opinions...

PS: Wouln't it be worth to start a new thread about this ? It is fun discussing it.
Point is we need choices and we don't have any footy sim game

I think there is a substantial difference between a sim racing game and a sim sports game. The true simulation racers (iRacing, Burns' Rally etc) are games which are hard to play because they're aiming to simulate being in a car, and you're obviously not going to be as good as Richard Burns at driving a rally car or Lewis Hamilton in an F1 car. A sim sports game isn't going to be hard in the same sense because it isn't simulating the process of being a football player... if we're using a great player we should, in a sense, be imbued with their ability. In a sim racer you are the driver, in a sports sim, you are primarily the decision maker.

For me, making FIFA more simlike is about making the outcomes more lifelike. If I try a blind pass while spinning at 180 degrees, it should be enormously less likely to work than a straight pass. While that does make the game a little harder to play, it's not going to make it unplayable for normal people. Lots of fairly small changes like that, across the board, can make FIFA a much, much better game where the outcomes seem more lifelike, both on the micro-scale like with a single pass, and on the macro-scale, because you'd hope to see more strategic options become viable (only counter-attacking is currently).

Some of the changes I want to see would make the game easier, some would make the game harder, but overall the game shouldn't become much more difficult to play than it is right now.

Last edited:
I think there is a lack of crosses in this game from the AI. Early crosses are almost non existent. There can be 3-4 players in the box but the AI just passes the ball around trying to walk the ball into the penalty area... annoying :(

Plus the sliders negate player individuality

Nonsense!

If your players can't trap a ball then the fault is with how you play, don't try sprinting when you receive the ball etc. first touch error is way too underpowered in 15 hence having to set the slider so high, even at 100 the CPU manages to trap the ball perfectly almost every time, when I'm playing I have to do something really stupid to force a player to make a bad touch on the slider settings I use.

I think there is a lack of crosses in this game from the AI. Early crosses are almost non existent. There can be 3-4 players in the box but the AI just passes the ball around trying to walk the ball into the penalty area... annoying :(

lower player runs for the AI and decrease shot error, seemed to have a few more edge of the area shots instead of trying to pass it in

To Chris and Klash, what if we as acomminity as football game freaks started something by way of crowdfunding.

At lest it would give both EA and Konami a kick up their ass. If enough people subscribe, we don't even have to invest fortunes...it should be possible to work with monthly subscriptions. Or am i drezming Willy now ?

I know crowdfunding works the other way, the developers propose a project and ask crowdfunding. Would it work if the customers propose something ?

Sounds like an idea. I'll look into it.

It probably isn't beyond the realms of feasibility, but you're far more likely to be able to build a development team from within than from without. Unfortunately, despite the problems with current football games, they are technically impressive. There is a reason why there aren't many Kickstarters for sports sims but plenty for almost every other genre. You'd have to get a -very- long way before it will be worth it and work needs to be done in a wide variety of areas (animation, physics, ai, networking etc.) Even if you're relatively successful in making a game, you eventually come up against a wall of costs (motion capture, licenses) that make the sports sim market a monopoly despite the genre's popularity.

I've thought about working on something myself for a long time, but I am limited hugely when it comes to modelling and animation, and the latter is extremely important for FIFA.

I disagree, anything is possible when you put enough energy into it, and there's enough energy to make this happen. We have to be aware of the process.

Take a look at some of the talent int the editing community, there a many people across the globe with more than enough talent to make a video game. What we do need and the issue is circled around like you said, animations through motion capture studio and the funding to get professionals in.

As someone with a degree in design, I've worked with many different 3D and 2D design programs, i know i'm very proficient in being able to create the artwork needed and i know many around the world i can get in as a team to work with me. I know very little about programming, which is part of my point, when creating a game you need the programmers to have the artwork burden lifted from them, these guys can create many great things but are usually stifled by having to take time to create the artwork.

I've become aware there is more than enough talent out there to create another football game, the question is investment in a motion capture studio and my firm belief we should create this game as an advancement of Football manager franchise. What i'm thinking about in no way will affect their franchise, it will only expand it if it's pulled off.

lower player runs for the AI and decrease shot error, seemed to have a few more edge of the area shots instead of trying to pass it in

I'll try that thanks. A cross frequency slider would have been nice now to fix this :SMUG:

Placebo I had the same thing happen to me in BAP, but it was my teammates that did it :(

@placebo, that is a known bug but I take it they still haven't fixed it after the patch then? What a shame!

Back
Top Bottom