FIFA 15 News & Discussion Thread

The different cameras definitely have an effect on the defending "difficulty." Broadcast cam defending for example, is quite rudimentary compared to the default cam.

When I say I have no issues with defending, it doesn´t mean I´m ruling it and I can take the ball off every player, no matter who I play against.

It´s difficult and I make mistakes, use the wrong timing, get goals against me etc.

But I learned how to use it and make the best of it.
It´s not easy and it´s a challenge.

The good thing is, that makes me play a lot more careful when I´m in ball possession as I don´t wanna lose it again.

I play the ball around, search for gaps and I hardly catch myself going for lofted through balls to the striker, like I used to in earlier times.

Played with several persons (friends, family) on one console/PC and I almost realized the same thing on every opponent I played against.
They never get off the sprint button when they defend, which is deadly.

New update PS4 1.03
ob95uDl.jpg

When I say I have no issues with defending, it doesn´t mean I´m ruling it and I can take the ball off every player, no matter who I play against.

It´s difficult and I make mistakes, use the wrong timing, get goals against me etc.

But I learned how to use it and make the best of it.
It´s not easy and it´s a challenge.

The good thing is, that makes me play a lot more careful when I´m in ball possession as I don´t wanna lose it again.

I play the ball around, search for gaps and I hardly catch myself going for lofted through balls to the striker, like I used to in earlier times.

Played with several persons (friends, family) on one console/PC and I almost realized the same thing on every opponent I played against.
They never get off the sprint button when they defend, which is deadly.

It seems like most people who are saying they don't have issues, are like you mentioning that in 1-on-1 situations they feel competent enough, they like the challenge, and prefer the current system to the prior one where defending was heavily assisted and overpowered.

I don't have much of a problem with that point of view, though I don't think the mechanics are ideal and I do feel that tackling is somewhat underpowered relative to the awesomeness of dribbling in this game. There's a degree of clumsiness in the tackling, and defending in general, that feels slightly inadequate relative to the attacking flow of the game. But I can manage with that, as you're never going to get the gameplay mechanics perfectly in balance.

The problem that I have with the defending in this game are with the things that you cannot control. This includes, but is not exclusive to, goalkeepers (which have been improved with the patch, thank god), teammate awareness, run tracking, teammate spacing and marking, and tactical discipline.

One example is a match I had this past weekend. As Bayern, I was up 1-0 against Real Madrid (it was a manual match, so it was realistically low scoring). In the final moments Madrid had a free kick from ~40 yards out. He puts the ball in the box and Ronaldo equalizes with a towering header. Who was marking him? Lahm. Seriously?

Another example. Again Bayern v Madrid. My opponent plays a long 40-yard diagonal pass to Ronaldo. Lahm, one of the greatest fullbacks in the world, has such a horrible positioning against him that when I'm switched to him, I'm already 3 yards behind Ronaldo, so he easily sprints on for a 1-on-1 chance.

And again, for years now it, it's driven me up the wall that even when you instruct your holding midfielders to not make attacking runs, they'll still be out of position, allowing for gaping holes in the center of the pitch.

The issues I have with defending are almost entirely AI-related. The match-making gods were great to me this past weekend and I was able to play a long string of manual matches, which for the most part were awesome experiences, even though I suck at manual. Manual v manual is a great game because it's so much harder to exploit the AI's flaws in defense. The problem for me is that unless it's peak hours, I often can't find a manual match.

Last edited:
Anyone noticed any difference in the poor gk ai after the patch? i tested it on PC and the gks still try to close their far corner, stupidly and unrealistcly instead of doing what a real life gk would and close primary his closer post side:
(this picture is after the patch applied)
image.png

It seems like most people who are saying they don't have issues, are like you mentioning that in 1-on-1 situations they feel competent enough, they like the challenge, and prefer the current system to the prior one where defending was heavily assisted and overpowered.

I don't have much of a problem with that point of view, though I don't think the mechanics are ideal and I do feel that tackling is somewhat underpowered relative to the awesomeness of dribbling in this game. There's a degree of clumsiness in the tackling, and defending in general, that feels slightly inadequate relative to the attacking flow of the game. But I can manage with that, as you're never going to get the gameplay mechanics perfectly in balance.

The problem that I have with the defending in this game are with the things that you cannot control. This includes, but is not exclusive to, goalkeepers (which have been improved with the patch, thank god), teammate awareness, run tracking, teammate spacing and marking, and tactical discipline.

One example is a match I had this past weekend. As Bayern, I was up 1-0 against Real Madrid (it was a manual match, so it was realistically low scoring). In the final moments Madrid had a free kick from ~40 yards out. He puts the ball in the box and Ronaldo equalizes with a towering header. Who was marking him? Lahm. Seriously?

Another example. Again Bayern v Madrid. My opponent plays a long 40-yard diagonal pass to Ronaldo. Lahm, one of the greatest fullbacks in the world, has such a horrible positioning against him that when I'm switched to him, I'm already 3 yards behind Ronaldo, so he easily sprints on for a 1-on-1 chance.

And again, for years now it, it's driven me up the wall that even when you instruct your holding midfielders to not make attacking runs, they'll still be out of position, allowing for gaping holes in the center of the pitch.

The issues I have with defending are almost entirely AI-related. The match-making gods were great to me this past weekend and I was able to play a long string of manual matches, which for the most part were awesome experiences, even though I suck at manual. Manual v manual is a great game because it's so much harder to exploit the AI's flaws in defense. The problem for me is that unless it's peak hours, I often can't find a manual match.

Hmmm okay you made a point.

Actually I never tried any setting to the wing defenders yet, only to my wing midfielders telling them to stay in the front.
I want my wing defenders act offensive so never tried that and haven´t worked myself much into tactics yet.

I thought by having issues in defending people talk more about controlling your defender.
I gotta add though that I don´t think this is the ideal solution, they programmed it that way and I play it the way EA wants me to.

But yeah, AI defending could be improved.

Another thing that I forgot to mention about defending:
I find the sliding tackles quite awful.
Always hated them in FIFA.
PES has better sliding tackles imo.
It´s like you gotta be very close to your opponent to make it have an effect.

I played 1 match after the update and normal seems faster, will probably try going back to slow, in fairness though it was a snow match so that might be relevant.

Finished 3rd in my 1st season with spurs and played CL qualifier in new season, beat polish team away 2-1 and thought i was through then in return game at home got spanked 4-0. Couldn't believe it. Ericson is Mustard and a player to get is Perica from Breda he's a great goal scorer and cheap about 400k. All in all loving this game no complaints apart from EA not allowing us to edit players hair/beards and such but i can take that till next year.

Im hearing that there are now less CPU fouls since the update (nooo). Can anyone here confirm this?

Im hearing that there are now less CPU fouls since the update (nooo). Can anyone here confirm this?

I wouldn't agree with that, been out fouled last two matches so no worries there. Pretty sure Norwich went down to 10 men in a UT single player cup match as well, they're such a dirty team according to EA!

The game is completely different with 4* teams.

Joined a league where these level teams are used and most games are avg. around 2 to 3 goals. Often have halves with just one or two shots.

You get one or two players with 90+ pace that are still fucked to defend against, but it's more containable then against a team of them.

Honestly wouldn't touch Ultimate Team again. Suggest online players find a decent league or stick to 4* seasons games.

Just came up against PU6HY in an all manual Seasons match! Was a great match, very even with few real chances. I managed to grab a 1-0 win from a late Bale goal. I recorded the end of match highlights:

YouTube - PU6HY 0-1 Tim7 Highlights

Good game PU6HY, well played :).

YouTube - Bale goal

I had the TV snapped so names were smaller and after about 20 mins I thought i recognise that name! Bit random :)
Yeah it was a decent game. I knew exactly what was going to happen with the goal and I should have taken my finger off Sprint to stop Kompany from not being able to change direction. Good finish though. Can't believe my chance right at the end went wide! Thought that was headed for top corner! :)
You played in pink my end. Cheers mate. Well played.

Yeah, it was a typical FIFA goal to be fair! Your chance right at the end I thought was in. Just waiting for the net to bulge! Probably anyone other than Mangala would've scored :LOL:.

The refereeing on this game is utter utter gash. Really lets the whole game down.

Another gripe is some of the shadows on some pitches. It is literally unplayable you can't see where the ball is. It's ludicrous that it passed testing.

Anyone play manual in FUT? I'm wondering if it might be easier to get a match - Seasons is terribly hit or miss for me.

Some big postives for me, with the latest patch, I was playing for 3 hrs, just to make sure there was no placebo effect, iv noticed player awareness has improved alot, still more room to improve but a good start, also noticed more variety of ways to attack and also individuality has improved even more. This is based on slow full manual legendary. Has anyone else noticed these differences?

Any chance you guys playing online could state so from the outset when talking about this game? This discussion is a hard conversation thread to make sense of, because you're always having to look for signs of whether each poster is talking about online or offline play. They're two completely different universes when it comes to football gaming. What's true in one isn;t necessarily the case in the other, and vice versa.

As a completely offline player I just don't relate to anything that the online guys are saying about the defending (or about anything else really, sorry).

After several years of 'meh' FIFAs, FIFA15 has been a great surprise. It just shows how devalued the offline game has become that EA didn't bother trumpeting the massive improvements they've made in CPU AI, team individuality, and the general solidity of the offline game in general. FIFA15 feels like a football game worth playing – offline.

FIFA 15 is poor. You shouldn't have to play with sliders for months on end to get a good experience.

And online is a mess.

Last edited:
A month on from release and I think this game is holding up rather well. Still enjoying offline play using semi-assisted controls (with a sprinkling of manual), legacy defending and a few of my own slider tweaks.

I agree with others that player models, faces and kits are my only real graphical bugbear with this game. If only I could transplant PES player models, faces and kits into FIFA....

A month on from release and I think this game is holding up rather well. Still enjoying offline play using semi-assisted controls (with a sprinkling of manual), legacy defending and a few of my own slider tweaks.

I agree with others that player models, faces and kits are my only real graphical bugbear with this game. If only I could transplant PES player models, faces and kits into FIFA....

Likewise...plus I'm even starting to enjoy a little pes15..Definetly room for both and I'm even finding I can switch nicely between the two..

I'm enjoying it more than any other FIFA, but like all of EA's football games before it, I still have issues with the "feel" of the game, primarily related to the floaty feeling of the ball and players, and the way in which they move around the pitch. It's not as bad as it was in previous iterations of the game but it still bothers me. Coupled with the poor defensive AI, kits and player models, as well as my seemingly endless need to faff around with the sliders, there are days when I'm a bit non-plussed about the game.

Last edited:
I´ve been enjoying the game since day one, didn´t care about sliders or I would still be messing with them looking for the perfect spot and frustrated between placebo/real gameplay changes. For me, its great out of the box and I´m having that "just one more match" playing manager mode.

Likewise...plus I'm even starting to enjoy a little pes15..Definetly room for both and I'm even finding I can switch nicely between the two..
My PES2015 purchase will depend on how much of a mess the PC version is and whether modders are interested in supporting it. FIFA15 isn't exactly a graphical masterpiece on the PC but I fear PES will look horrendously dated in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom