FIFA 15 News & Discussion Thread

I'm enjoying this. Only played around half a dozen matches today but they have all been low scoring and good fun with some nice goals and build up play in the mix. Scored a beaut with Alcacer of Valencia - nice dink over the defence which he half-volleyed just in front of the approaching keeper, stroking the ball under him and taking a deflection on the way in. Looked as realistic as any goal I've seen in a football game.

Then again I'm 'only' playing on pro with semi-assisted controls (through/high balls on manual) and legacy defending so I'm not a hardcore player according to the standards of some on here, but most importantly I'm enjoying the game this way and getting good games from the CPU. That's what it's all about.

I don't disagree with many of the criticisms on here - they are valid - they don't annoy me as much as they clearly do others. No football game is perfect, FIFA 15 is far from it and PES 15 certainly wont be either (give it another week of the demo for the moaning to really start), but I feel this is the best FIFA in a long time. I love the freedom in the ball physics and the improved player individuality.

Perhaps it's because I don't hammer football games these days, just play a few games when I get time. The flaws aren't so critical to me.

I play with the same controls as you because full manual doesn't feel quite right. Semi assisted with through balls/long passing on manual). It seems to suit the game better, having the semi approach rather than fully assisted or fully manual.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!
I had a few matches and they were nice, slow paced like in demo.
Than I started a tournament (FA Cup with Liverpool) and the match vs Scunthorpe united was a disaster; speed was atleast 50% faster, almost every attack by me or CPU was shot at goal, Škrtel was running like Usain Bolt, Midfield and Defence was non-existent. It turned into NHL.

You are playing on Xbox One right?

I'm enjoying this. Only played around half a dozen matches today but they have all been low scoring and good fun with some nice goals and build up play in the mix. Scored a beaut with Alcacer of Valencia - nice dink over the defence which he half-volleyed just in front of the approaching keeper, stroking the ball under him and taking a deflection on the way in. Looked as realistic as any goal I've seen in a football game.

Then again I'm 'only' playing on pro with semi-assisted controls (through/high balls on manual) and legacy defending so I'm not a hardcore player according to the standards of some on here, but most importantly I'm enjoying the game this way and getting good games from the CPU. That's what it's all about.

I don't disagree with many of the criticisms on here - they are valid - they don't annoy me as much as they clearly do others. No football game is perfect, FIFA 15 is far from it and PES 15 certainly wont be either (give it another week of the demo for the moaning to really start), but I feel this is the best FIFA in a long time. I love the freedom in the ball physics and the improved player individuality.

Perhaps it's because I don't hammer football games these days, just play a few games when I get time. The flaws aren't so critical to me.

Sounds like I wrote this! You play with the same control set up,as me, so perhaps we'd have some good games online?

Are handballs turned on in career mode? I've had a few not given now and thought maybe they're off by default. but I cant find any option to turn them on like you can in exhibitions.

Another odd removal maybe?

Handball is off by default. I turn it on except for pens.

Anyone know how to do the CL properly in CM? Ive gotten it decent enough but for some reason you can only replace teams from the same league. For example I want to replace Feyenoord with some eastern euro team for my Liverpool group yet am only allowed to select dutch teams. Surely there must be an option somewhere, otherwise its extremely ridiculous!

It also only does a seeded draw once. So you cant even have a few goes to mix it up...groan.

Last edited:
Re Handballs

I know its off by default when you load the game up. But I've changed it in exhibition mode games to on.
I just cant find any option in career mode to do the same.

platform: PS4

does anyone else experience a sudden change in the player tactical instructions in online Divisions? For the life of me I cant understand why it happens but I find out in half time or while substituting players that all my player instructions have been set back to default. If you don't get fcked by defensive AI they are gonna fck you good with those instructions.

update: I think it's home and away. When I play home my tactics load up fine but on away games it goes back to default. I can't understand why this happens.

Also, are the custom tactics now only per team? I cant keep 3-4 custom tactics to use for all the teams I want to try?

One last question, where is the free training? Thanks.

I don't even use the contain button anymore in FIFA 15, I just contain manually though player movement.

I never used the contain button when it was introduced and have always defending using super cancel to jockey my player and the attacker into a position to either force them to pass back or out of play or for myself to make a tackle or for another defender on my team to make a tackle, worked fine on previous Fifas and so far in 15 is working fairly well.

It's irrelevant what you think of my opinion. I've said it as best as I can and I don't let things bother me. I don't dissect every little thing and start making videos of them. The things you talk about are probably there but again, I don't let them bother me. I'm not looking for them and I don't want to either. So when you say you don't know what I'm talking about, how can me not letting things bother me be wrong and I'm talking rubbish? This started via a conversation with Chris as I said I'm not having problems defending while online... Because I'm not! I haven't said certain things aren't there. I said I'm timing my tackles and jockeying and not seeing what some of these issues are and I'll keep it that way. I obviously concede. I get skinned by attackers plenty of times and i find that normal. I lose but I'm having some very enjoyable games and I don't find the manual ones I'm having an arcade fest at all. Assisted settings is a farce though. Way too fast.

The voice of reason. Pint of what you are having

I think it's called "don't give a shit"

platform: PS4

does anyone else experience a sudden change in the player tactical instructions in online Divisions? For the life of me I cant understand why it happens but I find out in half time or while substituting players that all my player instructions have been set back to default. If you don't get fcked by defensive AI they are gonna fck you good with those instructions.

update: I think it's home and away. When I play home my tactics load up fine but on away games it goes back to default. I can't understand why this happens.

Also, are the custom tactics now only per team? I cant keep 3-4 custom tactics to use for all the teams I want to try?

One last question, where is the free training? Thanks.

I'd noticed the instructions thing too, but didn't realise it differed dependent on whether you're home or away. At least if you are correct, it's a bug and should be fixed. As for the custom tactics, I believe you're right, which seems utterly crazy. As for the free training... I also can't find it. Which also means custom set pieces are gone, I'm guessing?

This game...

I never used the contain button when it was introduced and have always defending using super cancel to jockey my player and the attacker into a position to either force them to pass back or out of play or for myself to make a tackle or for another defender on my team to make a tackle, worked fine on previous Fifas and so far in 15 is working fairly well.

Strangely I thought contain worked ok when it was introduced into FIFA and I did use the button. But now it seems detrimental and is better to just contain manually.

What's everyone's camera settings for this, i fiddled around last night but still not completely comfortable.

Last edited:
Strangely I thought contain worked ok when it was introduced into FIFA and I did use the button. But now it seems detrimental and is better to just contain manually.

LOL well it might have done but I'm old and don't like change so simply refused to learn how to use it at the time and shoved it back over to RB/R1!

What's everyone's camera settings for this, i fiddled around last night but still not completely comfortable.

Tele broadcast zoomed at as much as possible and tilted as much as possible :)

Thanks for posting all those videos, mfmaxpower, and for saving to a lot of us countless posts describing the glaring AI issues of the game.

I am fine with goalkeepers even if now and then the look stupid, but for the rest of the time they feel a lot more human and make for some amazing reaction saves and unpredictable plays. I very much love that and would be ready to sacrifice those 5-10% moments of stupidity.

Now, the whole AI of the game is 100% of the time stupid, it's killing me. I am playing Legendary with semi settings and waltzing with Wolves in the Championship, scoring at least 3 goals each match. Counter-attacking is even easier than before, lofted through balls even more accurate, player runs even more dangerous. And on the other side, there's nothing in deffense to counter all that. There's no sense of positioning, there's no marking at all in the game, nothing.

I spend all the time swapping players, moving them, containing the CPU AI, etc... but I feel I'm the only one thinking on deffense, the other 10 players I simply can't understand what they do. I can spend literally 30 seconds containing the CPU with 6 or 7 of my players packed inside the box parking the bus, and then suddenly the CPU does an inside pass and... 2 CPU strikers completely alone in the heart of the box to score (or shoot to the corner flag, you never know), then you watch the replay and the CBs took some holidays and suddenly decided to go astray.

Deffensive AI is simply broken. And all the beauty and technical awesomeness of the game goes down the toilet with it.
I put myself into the shoes of an EA marketing guy and I'll be very tempted to charge double for the game. After all you get a football and a NHL game for the price of one!

PS: Forgot to add, handballs are non-existant, surely a bug, and tactic changes done in the fly are often completely ignored. I put my team to park the bus and when I took the ball there were 5 of my players running up like there's no tomorrow.
+1

had a proper play test today and started a career with liverpool on WC mode.

People who say tactics and fatigue play no part have not played this game properly

My first game i was hammed by Bordeaux 0-4 as i had messed with tactics asking people to drift wide leaving open spaces in midfield and upfront disjointed

The second game i instructed my forwards to stay in position and run round the back of the defence, i always instructed my defence midfielder to sit back.

With the tactics the player movement was so obvious, Balotelli wasnt hugging the touch line any more and Gerrard was protecting the back breaking the play up. 2nd game 0-0 away to Athletico.

I did notice that near the end of the game Gerrard was skinned by the sub and just couldn't keep up

That the defensive AI is so poor in the year when they've finally overhauled the tactical interface (even though the new Team Management is FAR from great) is one of the biggest disappointments with 15. It's hard for me to take FIFA 15 seriously enough to bother with tactics, especially when goals and creating chances are so easy to come by.

This game actually reminds me of Jose Mourinho's quote from last year, when Chelsea were conceding too many goals, and he said something to the effect that maybe he should return to playing a defensive-oriented, counter-attack strategy, because winning a 1-0 match is easy to do.

FIFA 15 is the complete opposite of that.

In FIFA 15, especially in single-player, I know that I can win matches 3-2 pretty easily. Chances are aplenty, the game is so open, and I always have confidence that I can create one more really good chance. What I find near-impossible to do is shut up shop and be tight defensively, at least with any type of consistency. And yes I've seen no shortage of clean sheets and low scoring matches, but these are typically the result of missed chances and not defensive soundness.

So I've got little motivation or incentive to adjust tactics when I can create chances easily no matter what tactics are being used, and there's little point in using defensive tactics when I'll just be undermined by the suspect defensive AI.

had a proper play test today and started a career with liverpool on WC mode.

People who say tactics and fatigue play no part have not played this game properly

My first game i was hammed by Bordeaux 0-4 as i had messed with tactics asking people to drift wide leaving open spaces in midfield and upfront disjointed

The second game i instructed my forwards to stay in position and run round the back of the defence, i always instructed my defence midfielder to sit back.

With the tactics the player movement was so obvious, Balotelli wasnt hugging the touch line any more and Gerrard was protecting the back breaking the play up. 2nd game 0-0 away to Athletico.

I did notice that near the end of the game Gerrard was skinned by the sub and just couldn't keep up

The application of fatigue does seem a little stronger this year, albeit I still don't think it really works all that well. Players seem to get tired regardless of how they play.

To those who use contain/jockey manually, are you playing on the default speed settings?

Personally I use contain a lot, with varying success, mostly depending upon where on the pitch it's used and in what situation.

I find contain to be effective when used in the middle half of the pitch, especially at those times when your opponent is counter-attacking (so basically always!) and you need to give your team a chance to get back. I regularly find myself using contain and pointing the stick toward my own goal.

Another good tactic is to use contain to position your defender, then switch to another defender and use teammate contain to get that first defender to make a tackle. It's not a good system but it kinda works, maybe even more online than in single player.

Where I find contain of little use, and often a detriment, is when you're defending in your defensive third and it's critical to close down the space. In fact, anytime it's necessary or desirable to close down an attacker, there's little within the defensive mechanics to help you do so with any type of consistency.

Watching the Liverpool-Everton match on a second screen while playing a few FIFA 15 matches, and to me the biggest difference is the amount of space dribblers are afforded in FIFA 15. I really don't get why EA don't simply let contain work so that you can get into tackling distance from dribblers, but then make it all about timing the tackle properly. It seems like this would work great, especially since they've almost entirely (thank god) removed auto-tackle from the game.

In a sport in which manipulating space is the name of the game, getting this so wrong in FIFA is a critical flaw.

Last edited:
Looks like there are more complaining and deep analysis of this game more than enjoying it. For me maybe because I don't play online and I play offline on full manual controls things feel a little different . I am really enjoying this game and I think EA has done a better job this year in terms of visuals and game play.

Back
Top Bottom