FIFA 15 News & Discussion Thread

I really do hate the existence of manual controls because of the way in which they tend to stop a lot of manual players from having intelligent discussion about the topic.

With the option to use manual, semi-assisted or assisted controls, FIFA (and now PES) has divided the community up into people who simply aren't interested in each other's plight, or who think that the answer to fundamental problems with the AI is to change the controls. Guess what? The AI will still suck, and as your thumb gradually becomes more competent at pointing in certain directions, you will find yourself faced with the same problems.

PES 2011 had it right in principle, making everyone play with semi-assisted controls while also giving you the option to hold L2 to play a manual pass. Different control schemes divide the community, lead to pointless squabbles over which control scheme is most 'realistic' (which always gets confused with which is hardest instead), and gives the developers the easy way out of any criticism of the game by saying something offensively dismissive like 'Try manual controls :)'.

It is ENTIRELY possible to design an assisted passing/shooting control scheme which is extremely realistic, requires skill to use effectively to build intelligent moves, and is part of a cerebral yet fun football simulation. In fact I can't imagine how a manual control scheme could ever be more authentic and 'sim' than the most realistic assisted setup humanly possible - and god knows I've spent several years trying to imagine both.

I want there to be a natural difference between basic passers who tend to aim straight for the recipient, and more intelligent tempo-dictating players who aim slightly ahead/to the side of the recipient in order to inform the recipient's next move. I want some players to fail to make certain passes because they haven't yet looked over their shoulder and so don't know where the recipient or the defenders are, rather than just passing in the direction I've moved my thumb. Why should shooting be manual? Why would Falcao aim 10-15 yards wide of the goal? Shouldn't he be aiming for just inside the post, and the context of the position, body posture relative to the ball, pressure, keeper position and composure of the player in the scenario itself inform how accurate the shot is?

I don't particularly mind manual in and of itself. In fact I think it's ideal for Clubs / BAP, where you control one player and your ability with your thumb doesn't transfer across to every player, and everyone on the pitch can therefore play the game with a clearly different level of vision and intelligence. In that context, aiming wide of the goal is MY fault, so manual shooting makes sense. It's not like Career mode, where I should be conveying my intent to the player on the pitch for him to then execute to the best of his abilities. In BAP / Clubs, the player is ME. I already know my intentions, and executing them is my responsibility alone.

What I do mind is that manual still doesn't allow for the level of individuality that you could get from an ideal assisted / semi-assisted setup, but never from the manual game without sacrificing a sense of coherency and consistency (which is essential for learning how to improve your game). But the very notion that assisted could be more realistic than it currently is will never be given the time of day by a lot of people due to a combination of pride, ignorance, stubbornness, and a genuine insistence that the player with the pad should define the exact angle and weight that professional footballers should apply to a pass, even though their ability to correctly measure such passes is what distinguishes them.

Right now I don't think FIFA or PES has very much individuality in the passing game at all, and I have no doubt in my mind that it's because the devs have absolved themselves of all responsibility for dealing with this area of the game, tying inaccuracy to the thumb rather than to the footballer. The public will entertain themselves based on how much of a challenge the game then feels (or how amazing they appear to be at the game if they're using assisted) without noticing the difference between a Ferdinand and Phil Jones, or seeing why Mata is a more technical #10 than Rooney, or why Strootman distributes the ball better than de Jong. And that's what a football game needs in order for me to want to play it all year round.

Fantastic post and spot on

There's nothing I can do about any of it though is there? I want the best sim available but I'm also grateful for what i have. I have plenty of problems going on at the moment but having a few days off from letting them get to me. If I let them get to me, I'd lose the plot!

No one is forcing you to be part of this discussion.

I want to buy the game that PU6HY is playing, because obviously doesn´t seems to be the same version that i´m playing.

Really pissed off with the outrage over defending. If EA pander and bring back the automated system it'll be a real fucking shame.

It would be a shame, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't push for something better. There are two huge issues with defending. The AI is totally useless, and the controls are unnecessarily awkward. EA should focus the majority of their effort towards this for their next game.

It's the first football game that's ever reduced the effectiveness of blind pressure. It's not even difficult, just requires user input now rather then waiting for the AI to win the ball back for you.

Set defensive line to 20.
Have you DMs set to Stay Back in instructions.
Use RS to switch between defenders.
Hold jockey whenever facing up and simply anticipate where the ball will go.

That's it.

You shouldn't have to play extremely defensively to have a half chance at defending though. Defending like this is the only sure way to defend, and was last year too, which is why it is hugely popular. At the same time, it's basically relying on sheer numbers to do what you cannot possibly achieve in a structured manner.

No one is forcing you to be part of this discussion.

Nobody is forcing you to say that either. My opinion and thoughts on the game are as valid as the next guy. If I want to say my bit I am well entitled to when I choose just like you and everybody is.

Fuck me, I've got a different opinion on the game and what i want to get out of it. I'm not interested in over analysing it.
The real game is a different prospect and I could go into more detail but I don't need to with a computer game. I enjoy this as a game and I don't care about certain things that frankly aren't bothering me. Assisted ping pong bothers me, other stuff not so much as I just deal with it and except it's not perfect.
I've just had another couple of great games. My players passed from a to b. I defended great against the guy and attacked brilliantly. I enjoyed it. Was it perfect? No but not as bad as some people make out. In fact, nowhere near as bad.
Finally, I'm ever so sorry that offends some of you do much.

Ok PU6HY, mfmaxpower made his point recording videos of a lot of things he think is wrong with the game and i think it really illustrate well my exact feelings about the game.

You keep saying that these kind of things don´t happen playing against other players, can you post some videos of your games against other players so we can see all the magic in action? Because so far, offline or online, all that i experienced was exactly what mfmaxpower pointed in his posts.

Ok PU6HY, mfmaxpower made his point recording videos of a lot of things he think is wrong with the game and i think it really illustrate well my exact feelings about the game.

You keep saying that these kind of things don´t happen playing against other players, can you post some videos of your games against other players so we can see all the magic in action? Because so far, offline or online, all that i experienced was exactly what mfmaxpower pointed in his posts.

I haven't even watched his videos. I've no interest in them. Why would I look at something that might start annoying me. FFS, I'm saying I'm enjoying the game. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about that. I've said I haven't been bothered about defending as I'm doing ok at it. I'm not going to start over analysing a game. I pick it up. I play it and I'm enjoying it. I couldn't care less about videos. If a little virtual man doesn't do exactly what I want him to do then big bloody deal.
I DON'T LET SOME OF THE THINGS BEING MENTIONED BOTHER ME.
Is that so hard to accept and understand? I've already said it's a bummer for the ones who are bothered by it but for me I'm enjoying the bloody game.
I don't like GTA, COD, Destiny etc. Others in here do. I enjoy a game with my son's and some online seasons. I don't like the feel of PES. I'm enjoying what I get out of FIFA. Some of you are very anal about the game. I'm not. It's that simple. Done with this bollocks now. As you were chaps.

It would be a shame, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't push for something better. There are two huge issues with defending. The AI is totally useless, and the controls are unnecessarily awkward. EA should focus the majority of their effort towards this for their next game.

You shouldn't have to play extremely defensively to have a half chance at defending though. Defending like this is the only sure way to defend, and was last year too, which is why it is hugely popular. At the same time, it's basically relying on sheer numbers to do what you cannot possibly achieve in a structured manner.

You're right. I don't believe defending is great, just a much better alternative to what it previously was. Acceleration is causing the most aggro, as the dribbling player is able to break loose before your man reacts. I suppose it's a matter of balance.

I just really hope this shift is completely undone to accommodate popular opinion. I'm really enjoying being able to boss possession and not feel hounded at every opportunity.

:LOL:

Ok man, sorry to make you mad. I am really trying to enjoy the game like i enjoyed 14, but i am not having the same fun as you are, even playing online with manual controls... I´ll keep trying or i will have to sell the game and plays 14 until November. :P

you might be having that lag mate.Try that fix and see if it improves your experience.
Lag Fix

Pu6hy this is from one Taff to another, relax and chill the fuck out kid. You always jump on someone's case about what they like and dislike and say " I doesn't bother me " all the time mate, all the bloody time. You like some things and others don't, what's the big deal? You come across negative while trying to be positive about the game. Me playing online against a bunch of all assisted bollock heads in a brain fuck that i don't care for and a killer of the game. We all try to get along and help each other with the odd sarc comment thrown in. But come on bro it's like you are the " Alf Garnett ' of this thread and everybody's opinion his shit if it doesn't match yours. I'm not looking for an argument but dude relax.

:LOL:

Ok man, sorry to make you mad. I am really trying to enjoy the game like i enjoyed 14, but i am not having the same fun as you are, even playing online with manual controls... I´ll keep trying or i will have to sell the game and plays 14 until November. :P

I'm not mad buddy. Just having funny half a day: )

I haven't even watched his videos. I've no interest in them. Why would I look at something that might start annoying me. FFS, I'm saying I'm enjoying the game. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about that. I've said I haven't been bothered about defending as I'm doing ok at it. I'm not going to start over analysing a game. I pick it up. I play it and I'm enjoying it. I couldn't care less about videos. If a little virtual man doesn't do exactly what I want him to do then big bloody deal.
I DON'T LET SOME OF THE THINGS BEING MENTIONED BOTHER ME.
Is that so hard to accept and understand? I've already said it's a bummer for the ones who are bothered by it but for me I'm enjoying the bloody game.
I don't like GTA, COD, Destiny etc. Others in here do. I enjoy a game with my son's and some online seasons. I don't like the feel of PES. I'm enjoying what I get out of FIFA. Some of you are very anal about the game. I'm not. It's that simple. Done with this bollocks now. As you were chaps.

Dude, we get it. Your opinion is perfectly valid. I'm sure there's tons of people out there who feel the exact same way. For casual fans like you, FIFA 15 is likely the pinnacle of football gaming.

But if you don't give a shit about the finer points, why get involved in a discussion about them? No need to call other people anal and condescend because you think you've got better things to do than think critically about a game (which begs the question of why on earth you're here to begin with).

Don´t know mate, i don´t think i am having lag... I think UPnP is already off on my router and i´m using wire connection. I just wanted that the game played like 2014... :(

It's way better than 14.No more automatic tackling,more advanced ball physics and better teammates AI(from my experience),realistic GKs,modern team management menus with individual instructions.I couldn't go back to 14 after playing the demo.

Pu6hy this is from one Taff to another, relax and chill the fuck out kid. You always jump on someone's case about what they like and dislike and say " I doesn't bother me " all the time mate, all the bloody time. You like some things and others don't, what's the big deal? You come across negative while trying to be positive about the game. Me playing online against a bunch of all assisted bollock heads in a brain fuck that i don't care for and a killer of the game. We all try to get along and help each other with the odd sarc comment thrown in. But come on bro it's like you are the " Alf Garnett ' of this thread and everybody's opinion his shit if it doesn't match yours. I'm not looking for an argument but dude relax.

You could flip that around towards others too. They are saying things about what I'm trying to get across so same can apply both ways so not sure why it's all have a dig at Pughy for having as different thought process on certain things.
I hear you though.

Dude, we get it. Your opinion is perfectly valid. I'm sure there's tons of people out there who feel the exact same way. For casual fans like you, FIFA 15 is likely the pinnacle of football gaming.

But if you don't give a shit about the finer points, why get involved in a discussion about them? No need to call other people anal and condescend because you think you've got better things to do than think critically about a game (which begs the question of why on earth you're here to begin with).

Wouldn't say I'm casual. Only game I really play. Casual to some I suppose.

I've been a member here for donkeys years buddy. Anyway I've said my bit and I'll go back to enjoying the game. Shame it bugs some of you so much.

It's way better than 14.No more automatic tackling,more advanced ball physics and better teammates AI(from my experience),realistic GKs,modern team management menus with individual instructions.I couldn't go back to 14 after playing the demo.

That´s the problem mate, the automatic tackling was the only thing that balanced the gameplay againts the CPU super reflexes boosts on previous Fifas... My teammates AI are complete useless now, they keep stand still doing nothing if i don´t press CPU pressure, they don´t even fight for rebounds to score goals, they just stop and watch the play waiting until i change cursor to them.

Is IMPOSSIBLE to control all the 11 players at the same time so the teammates AI have to help a lot and for me it doesn´t happened in this game. For me it´s clearly the case of EA making the gameplay almost exclusively for online players.

So far I'm finding this game extremely frustrating. It has no defending in it whatsoever. I was good at defending on 14 but this is ridiculous. Yet to keep a clean sheet. Scoring long range shots is too easy, The keeper might as well be standing on the halfway line.

Also when I play as Man Utd, all I can hear is a chant which just reminds me of this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVd3-VUirfg

Last edited:
Some defending advice:

Never control a defender if you can help it. Start with attacking midfielders/wide midfielders to close the wings, and hold R1 to have your full back pay attention.

If it comes inside, take over a midfielder. Always a midfielder.

Try to sprint to be goal side, then never touch sprint again. Shuffle/run with no button to keep the CPU from moving forward.

Do this and cross your fingers they'll eventually screw up.

The key I'm learning is to avoid ever controlling a defender - because you WILL pull them out of position trying to tackle, and your AI teammates have the brain power of a post-Clattenberg-penalty Manchester United.

Doesn't the defenders fall back too far though when you are in your own final third? The defenders fall back so far that the attacking team can pass the ball inside your penalty area. I'd like the defenders to try to push up as high as possible. Is this solved by setting a high defensive line? I guess not, but haven't tried it.

Guys can you help me... im wondering about something

Every match I play, no matter how many times I skin a defender, every one of my players always has 0 1on1 succesful dribbles, I don't get it, is this stat broken?

You could flip that around towards others too. They are saying things about what I'm trying to get across so same can apply both ways so not sure why it's all have a dig at Pughy for having as different thought process on certain things.
I hear you though.

Not having a dig at you and you make some valid points but kill it by saying that if people dislike faces, nets, socks, boots etc they are acting like kids. And we are all talking bollocks. If you disagree but can't put a better point across other " Than it's my ball and your not playing " then for want of better words shut your cake hole!:SNACK:

Yeah, I don't know what PU6HY's talking about. I just did something I haven't done in years and played some online matches and it's pretty much the same thing as single player. There's a bit more tackling going on because human opponents are more aggressive than the AI defense, but it's an arcade fest. It's a joke.

And one weird thing: played a match online as Man Utd playing with Chelsea's third kits! wtf?

Last edited:
Doesn't the defenders fall back too far though when you are in your own final third? The defenders fall back so far that the attacking team can pass the ball inside your penalty area. I'd like the defenders to try to push up as high as possible. Is this solved by setting a high defensive line? I guess not, but haven't tried it.

They still sit pretty far back, especially right after kickoff. The main issue is that the defense is extremely stretched out by default. The distance between the back line and the midfielders is insane at times. Increasing line height and decreasing line length addresses this, but then creates other problems. Like you'll see CPU wingers go out wide and sneak behind the defense easily. The defense is just broken.

Back
Top Bottom