FIFA 15 News & Discussion Thread

agree. yet to try the defending on the full version ps4 but tactical defending was perfect on the demo, you just have to time it right which is how it should be..i dont like legacy defending anymore as it takes away the skill - similar to PES 15 where you just hold X down and its like a homing missile and completes the tackle for you

PES 2011 actually introduced what EA called 'tactical defending' with a contain button and using the stick to control distance back anf forwards between the ball carrier, and it was the game that actually removed the pressure button. Why they've gone back to it I don't know :BLEH:

You can still contain manually with PES 2015, then use the press button in a timed way to tackled, but yeah seems they've caved in to the people who want a return to the PS2 versions, ignoring the improvements that later versions made to the series :/

FIFA's tactical defending is broken. Floaty, imprecise movement, I don't even use the contain button anymore in FIFA 15, I just contain manually though player movement.

Last edited:
I really do hate the existence of manual controls because of the way in which they tend to stop a lot of manual players from having intelligent discussion about the topic.

With the option to use manual, semi-assisted or assisted controls, FIFA (and now PES) has divided the community up into people who simply aren't interested in each other's plight, or who think that the answer to fundamental problems with the AI is to change the controls. Guess what? The AI will still suck, and as your thumb gradually becomes more competent at pointing in certain directions, you will find yourself faced with the same problems.

PES 2011 had it right in principle, making everyone play with semi-assisted controls while also giving you the option to hold L2 to play a manual pass. Different control schemes divide the community, lead to pointless squabbles over which control scheme is most 'realistic' (which always gets confused with which is hardest instead), and gives the developers the easy way out of any criticism of the game by saying something offensively dismissive like 'Try manual controls :)'.

It is ENTIRELY possible to design an assisted passing/shooting control scheme which is extremely realistic, requires skill to use effectively to build intelligent moves, and is part of a cerebral yet fun football simulation. In fact I can't imagine how a manual control scheme could ever be more authentic and 'sim' than the most realistic assisted setup humanly possible - and god knows I've spent several years trying to imagine both.

I want there to be a natural difference between basic passers who tend to aim straight for the recipient, and more intelligent tempo-dictating players who aim slightly ahead/to the side of the recipient in order to inform the recipient's next move. I want some players to fail to make certain passes because they haven't yet looked over their shoulder and so don't know where the recipient or the defenders are, rather than just passing in the direction I've moved my thumb. Why should shooting be manual? Why would Falcao aim 10-15 yards wide of the goal? Shouldn't he be aiming for just inside the post, and the context of the position, body posture relative to the ball, pressure, keeper position and composure of the player in the scenario itself inform how accurate the shot is?

I don't particularly mind manual in and of itself. In fact I think it's ideal for Clubs / BAP, where you control one player and your ability with your thumb doesn't transfer across to every player, and everyone on the pitch can therefore play the game with a clearly different level of vision and intelligence. In that context, aiming wide of the goal is MY fault, so manual shooting makes sense. It's not like Career mode, where I should be conveying my intent to the player on the pitch for him to then execute to the best of his abilities. In BAP / Clubs, the player is ME. I already know my intentions, and executing them is my responsibility alone.

What I do mind is that manual still doesn't allow for the level of individuality that you could get from an ideal assisted / semi-assisted setup, but never from the manual game without sacrificing a sense of coherency and consistency (which is essential for learning how to improve your game). But the very notion that assisted could be more realistic than it currently is will never be given the time of day by a lot of people due to a combination of pride, ignorance, stubbornness, and a genuine insistence that the player with the pad should define the exact angle and weight that professional footballers should apply to a pass, even though their ability to correctly measure such passes is what distinguishes them.

Right now I don't think FIFA or PES has very much individuality in the passing game at all, and I have no doubt in my mind that it's because the devs have absolved themselves of all responsibility for dealing with this area of the game, tying inaccuracy to the thumb rather than to the footballer. The public will entertain themselves based on how much of a challenge the game then feels (or how amazing they appear to be at the game if they're using assisted) without noticing the difference between a Ferdinand and Phil Jones, or seeing why Mata is a more technical #10 than Rooney, or why Strootman distributes the ball better than de Jong. And that's what a football game needs in order for me to want to play it all year round.

PES 2011 and then 2012 were actually a big change for football games in terms of passing. 2011 tried an assisted/semi free passing default setting and then 2012 introduced proper semi-manual passing.

Zero bar assistance in PES is semi-manual. I don't know about L2 manual because I don't use it.

But I do know that since PES 2012 I have alternated between zero bar and 1 bar passing assistance match-by-match [after hundreds of MLO games exclusively on zero, I switched to taking turns later], and zero bar DEFINITELY includes stat application (as does 1 bar to a lesser extent than zero). I've tried TONNES of different players in MLO campaigns and exhibition and ranked matches, and you can FEEL the DIFFERENCES. It's not just dependent on the human user, its a mix. Pirlo passes like Pirlo, you can really play the ball into space or feet accurately etc. A medium or poor passer feels like a medium or poor passer. You can even end up being reluctant to pick players because of their poor passing stats, or to see if other stats make up for them, or to lay more simple passes and not try ambitious ones with the poor passers.

I alternate between zero and 1 bar to give myself the best of both worlds because I'm primarily an online player playing against mostly high assistance users, as I discovered in FIFA 09 when I used manual in ranked online matches (and played in an all manual league). One match with more freedom and also error, the next match with more precision and less extreme thinking about every pass.

FIFA's manual controls also used to be dependent on the human user (FIFA 09/10), but in recent years they've also gone down the PES route and made stats have more influence. Still prefer PES's semi manual system though (apart from PES 2014 which was a mess) because of PES's greater individuality ethos. But its possible and actually active right now to make semi-manual passing work with a mix of user input and good stat application, you can take my word for it.

Last edited:
Some defending advice:

Never control a defender if you can help it. Start with attacking midfielders/wide midfielders to close the wings, and hold R1 to have your full back pay attention.

If it comes inside, take over a midfielder. Always a midfielder.

Try to sprint to be goal side, then never touch sprint again. Shuffle/run with no button to keep the CPU from moving forward.

Do this and cross your fingers they'll eventually screw up.

The key I'm learning is to avoid ever controlling a defender - because you WILL pull them out of position trying to tackle, and your AI teammates have the brain power of a post-Clattenberg-penalty Manchester United.

What a damning indictment of how defending works in FIFA.

Yeah, I don't know what PU6HY's talking about. I just did something I haven't done in years and played some online matches and it's pretty much the same thing as single player. There's a bit more tackling going on because human opponents are more aggressive than the AI defense, but it's an arcade fest. It's a joke.

And one weird thing: played a match online as Man Utd playing with Chelsea's third kits! wtf?

It's irrelevant what you think of my opinion. I've said it as best as I can and I don't let things bother me. I don't dissect every little thing and start making videos of them. The things you talk about are probably there but again, I don't let them bother me. I'm not looking for them and I don't want to either. So when you say you don't know what I'm talking about, how can me not letting things bother me be wrong and I'm talking rubbish? This started via a conversation with Chris as I said I'm not having problems defending while online... Because I'm not! I haven't said certain things aren't there. I said I'm timing my tackles and jockeying and not seeing what some of these issues are and I'll keep it that way. I obviously concede. I get skinned by attackers plenty of times and i find that normal. I lose but I'm having some very enjoyable games and I don't find the manual ones I'm having an arcade fest at all. Assisted settings is a farce though. Way too fast.

I've played some games both offline and online, and this game is at best quite beautiful, and at worst a messy parody.

Rename it NHL 15 and I'd agree that it perfectly captures the tempo and frenzy which is not only encouraged, but necessary, to play this game online.
Calling it soccer is a disgrace.

I don´t want to seem like a blind fan, but from what I can see, EA made a game that is unforgiven with our mistakes. If I start to abuse my luck and go up on the pitch, I start creating chances but then I leave my CB´s alone if a counter comes up, and usually it turns a very dangerous situation, just like in real life.
I´ve had a couple great 0-0 matches and never had so fun in previous years, because this time I had to work really hard to avoid goals in my own net and at the end of those matches I :RSCARF: instead of :BRICK:, because finally this game offers me something I never had in any other soccer game.
Kudos to EA... sorry if you don´t agree, I respect that, but for me, damn I´m totally adicted to this gem.

Last edited:
just picked it up on the ps4 today and i think the ps3 version pretty much trained me up for the defending on this version

the ps3 version the AI cut and turn and the most insane angles and speed im finding the ps4 version a bit easier against the AI in defence but i wont deny it needs some work by EA still

EDIT- just some things that help me in defence is using jockey when they CPU cuts inside other wise your player will skate past and be too far away to recover, select a midfielder when they attack to drop right back and sit between your CB while holding r2 to pressure the ball carrier

helps me anyway I really like how you have to work in defence but it doesnt help the difficulty when you look on a replay of a conceded goal and notice a defender you are not controlling running the wrong way ..

Last edited:
Anyone else finding that when trying to defend against the dreaded lofted through ball that the defender they are controlling suddenly changes direction for a split second, losing all momentum and leaving the forward through 1v1?

they need to implement some tactical options for the back 4 for like assign a leader of the defence so when he steps up while you control him the rest do or even set them to contain for example and have them all in the jockey position ready to back peddle

just something so they work in unison and not as individuals would help alot

Okay, I'm going to take back what I said about online. It is better than single player, mainly in that it's actually a challenge to score because for some reason defending is easier online. Really easy to dominate possession online which sucks that so many goals come from cheap

But man the goals are terrible when you're up against people who do the same thing every possession: clear ball, one long pass to striker, dribble to goal or one-to-pass, shot.
If you player super cautious in defense and use teammate contain it's pretty easy to defend, but man it gets boring. No buildup play.

Out of a dozen matches, did have one brilliant game with someone who was actually interested in playing football. Won 3-1 against Barca, though the goal I conceded was a silly header by Messi.

Having lots of network issues; only two lag free games. Can't believe I'm going to say this, but with CM not improving this year, maybe online Seasons is for me this year.

online fifa 15 is so frustrating,attackers run in circles around your defenders,in fifa 14 NG defending was a joy, but in fifa 15 standing tackle out of jockeying stance has no efect ,or is always to late ,also speed is over the top.
if EA has this gameplay for there FUT mode i dont care .
but for the rest of the game i want a balanced game,where defence is as important as attack,if it stays like this its only singleplayer tournements or career with serious slider adjustments ,and hoping pes 2015 delivers this time.

Yeah :)

Looks like the Xbox One version is best imo, not much in it though!.

They say Xbox has no motion blur and frame rate drops though.

?

Is it just me or have they removed man marking?
I see a generic vague version on the player instructions but no way to pick who they're marking.

I don´t want to seem like a blind fan, but from what I can see, EA made a game that is unforgiven with our mistakes. If I start to abuse my luck and go up on the pitch, I start creating chances but then I leave my CB´s alone if a counter comes up, and usually it turns a very dangerous situation, just like in real life.
I´ve had a couple great 0-0 matches and never had so fun in previous years, because this time I had to work really hard to avoid goals in my own net and at the end of those matches I :RSCARF: instead of :BRICK:, because finally this game offers me something I never had in any other soccer game.
Kudos to EA... sorry if you don´t agree, I respect that, but for me, damn I´m totally adicted to this gem.

I have to agree, I'm not finding any problems apart from my own poor defending. I'm not seeing loads of shots going in apart from one screamer from Erikson. I am enjoying this game at the moment and have just started a CM with Spurs. I'm guessing that those not happy with it are not playing on PS3 like myself, maybe the PS3 version doesn't have those problems. Also, I'm not on the top level so maybe that is a factor too.

What i am pleased about is that they have finally got the foul system sorted so now I can get a few free kicks around the area. So, So far I am enjoying this and I'm hoping that it's not just the honeymoon period for me.

I'm enjoying this. Only played around half a dozen matches today but they have all been low scoring and good fun with some nice goals and build up play in the mix. Scored a beaut with Alcacer of Valencia - nice dink over the defence which he half-volleyed just in front of the approaching keeper, stroking the ball under him and taking a deflection on the way in. Looked as realistic as any goal I've seen in a football game.

Then again I'm 'only' playing on pro with semi-assisted controls (through/high balls on manual) and legacy defending so I'm not a hardcore player according to the standards of some on here, but most importantly I'm enjoying the game this way and getting good games from the CPU. That's what it's all about.

I don't disagree with many of the criticisms on here - they are valid - they don't annoy me as much as they clearly do others. No football game is perfect, FIFA 15 is far from it and PES 15 certainly wont be either (give it another week of the demo for the moaning to really start), but I feel this is the best FIFA in a long time. I love the freedom in the ball physics and the improved player individuality.

Perhaps it's because I don't hammer football games these days, just play a few games when I get time. The flaws aren't so critical to me.

Is it just me or have they removed man marking?
I see a generic vague version on the player instructions but no way to pick who they're marking.

I was asking the same thing mate. I can't find an option for man marking. The tutorials say nowt about it either. Why the feck would EA remove that? Half the problem with defending, As proven by the videos uploaded a couple of pages ago (totally reflects my experience with 15 so far), defenders just do not pick up or track attackers. Its a glaring problem that affects every game i play.

Anyone else finding that when trying to defend against the dreaded lofted through ball that the defender they are controlling suddenly changes direction for a split second, losing all momentum and leaving the forward through 1v1?

Same here i have returned the game no point bothering with fifa it will never change, the lofted throughball is still more effective than the ground passing and the defensive ai is still stupid. I am surprised people were saying the pace and individuality stood out lol. My lofted throughball spamming friends picked up right where they left off from 14.

Check out my humdinger only goal in all my matches that made me fist pump so far.v sorry about low resolution forgot to change setting on my mobile.

I thought they had goal line technology introduced in FIFA 15? Would have turned my semi into a full erection

Fifa 15 Suarez goal: YouTube - Fifa 15 Suarez goal

Last edited:
Check out my humdinger only goal in all my matches that made me fist pump so far.v sorry about low resolution forgot to change seeing on my mobile.

I thought they had goal line introduction in FIFA 15? Would have turned my semi into s full erection

Fifa 15 Suarez goal: YouTube - Fifa 15 Suarez goal

Goal line tech is definitely in, maybe just as part of the Premiership deal though as I've only seen it between two prem teams. Silly though, should be there for all modes/teams.

Are handballs turned on in career mode? I've had a few not given now and thought maybe they're off by default. but I cant find any option to turn them on like you can in exhibitions.

Another odd removal maybe?

I'm enjoying this. Only played around half a dozen matches today but they have all been low scoring and good fun with some nice goals and build up play in the mix. Scored a beaut with Alcacer of Valencia - nice dink over the defence which he half-volleyed just in front of the approaching keeper, stroking the ball under him and taking a deflection on the way in. Looked as realistic as any goal I've seen in a football game.

Then again I'm 'only' playing on pro with semi-assisted controls (through/high balls on manual) and legacy defending so I'm not a hardcore player according to the standards of some on here, but most importantly I'm enjoying the game this way and getting good games from the CPU. That's what it's all about.

I don't disagree with many of the criticisms on here - they are valid - they don't annoy me as much as they clearly do others. No football game is perfect, FIFA 15 is far from it and PES 15 certainly wont be either (give it another week of the demo for the moaning to really start), but I feel this is the best FIFA in a long time. I love the freedom in the ball physics and the improved player individuality.

Perhaps it's because I don't hammer football games these days, just play a few games when I get time. The flaws aren't so critical to me.

Totally agree with you. I know I'm not a hardcore fan as some so my passing percentage is low (even on semi assisted) but also the CPU passing percentage is low, around 65-75%. Legacy defending is the best for me, and before anyone says it, I don't push pressure all the time and run into the CPU as it can leave gaps at the back so I just take time and press when needed and sometimes I just sit back and let the CPU try to work around the defence.

I also find that on semi assisted shooting the stats come into play. Couldn't hit the target with Soldado outside the box but Erikson had a few good shots and then thumped a screamer in. I wish I recorded it, it was curling away from goal but then curled back wickedly at the last moment.

Are handballs turned on in career mode? I've had a few not given now and thought maybe they're off by default. but I cant find any option to turn them on like you can in exhibitions.

Another odd removal maybe?

They are off by default, Ive had it turned on since my first game and ive yet to see a single handball decision, same with the demo. Got a feeling there maybe a bug (in a Fifa game, surely not lol) and there are no handballs?

Anyone had any handball decisions??

I adore it!,best football game made for me. Yes 14 was "tighter" in places but it was sterile 15 has seen it opened up with true unpredictability. Last year I wanted to love it but every match was the same well no longer. Loads of individuality from players and teams. Cant get enough, I even love the new keepers, rather have a mistake every now and then than a perfect machine in goal. Game feels human for the first time ever.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!
I had a few matches and they were nice, slow paced like in demo.
Than I started a tournament (FA Cup with Liverpool) and the match vs Scunthorpe united was a disaster; speed was atleast 50% faster, almost every attack by me or CPU was shot at goal, Škrtel was running like Usain Bolt, Midfield and Defence was non-existent. It turned into NHL.

Thanks for posting all those videos, mfmaxpower, and for saving to a lot of us countless posts describing the glaring AI issues of the game.

I am fine with goalkeepers even if now and then the look stupid, but for the rest of the time they feel a lot more human and make for some amazing reaction saves and unpredictable plays. I very much love that and would be ready to sacrifice those 5-10% moments of stupidity.

Now, the whole AI of the game is 100% of the time stupid, it's killing me. I am playing Legendary with semi settings and waltzing with Wolves in the Championship, scoring at least 3 goals each match. Counter-attacking is even easier than before, lofted through balls even more accurate, player runs even more dangerous. And on the other side, there's nothing in deffense to counter all that. There's no sense of positioning, there's no marking at all in the game, nothing.

I spend all the time swapping players, moving them, containing the CPU AI, etc... but I feel I'm the only one thinking on deffense, the other 10 players I simply can't understand what they do. I can spend literally 30 seconds containing the CPU with 6 or 7 of my players packed inside the box parking the bus, and then suddenly the CPU does an inside pass and... 2 CPU strikers completely alone in the heart of the box to score (or shoot to the corner flag, you never know), then you watch the replay and the CBs took some holidays and suddenly decided to go astray.

Deffensive AI is simply broken. And all the beauty and technical awesomeness of the game goes down the toilet with it.
I put myself into the shoes of an EA marketing guy and I'll be very tempted to charge double for the game. After all you get a football and a NHL game for the price of one!

PS: Forgot to add, handballs are non-existant, surely a bug, and tactic changes done in the fly are often completely ignored. I put my team to park the bus and when I took the ball there were 5 of my players running up like there's no tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yes, no matter what, all midfielders tend to be in or around the box if you do a long positional attack. Thus leaving the field open to counter by the opponent. It's been like this for years to a point but now it's even worse. It's just absurd.

Back
Top Bottom