FIFA 13

Had a good amount of games on PES 2013 last night and while it's certainly a good game, the mechanical nature of it really puts me off. The feeling of being on rails, the animations where you change angle and it snaps to the next direction, it just started to grate on me after a while.

Then I put the FIFA 13 demo on for comparison and it just felt fresh. To me, it felt like a proper game for this generation of games. It didn't feel locked into movements or controls, it was fluid, it was a constant battle and it was great.

There also seems to be more chaos around the box. Due to first touch and so on, shots are flying around the blocks being made so it just looks like a real match at times with the ball spinning off into empty areas of the pitch. As opposed to the games in PES last night where it CONSTANTLY fell to the CPU regardless.

Really looking forward to the full game.

That pretty much sums up my feelings of the two games.

No you'd need the full game, you make them from the arena by pressing select which then takes you to the training menu.

Thanks for the info Placebo. :))

I am agreeing with DagsJT about the comparisons between PES and FIFA. Also the attacking AI is PES this year seems well below FIFA's to me. In PES 2013 it seems PES demands you using the L1 or R3 to get players to make runs, a criticism that used to be made at FIFA. In FIFA players are always making space for you to pass, and forward runs are actually intelligent to avoid offside as much as possible. Through balls are also delightful in FIFA.

That is a big thing for me in the demo, in Fifa 12 your players were always being called for offside because of their runs. But now it is 100% better, the runs are better, more frequent and well timed. It makes such a huge difference.

I am agreeing with DagsJT about the comparisons between PES and FIFA. Also the attacking AI is PES this year seems well below FIFA's to me. In PES 2013 it seems PES demands you using the L1 or R3 to get players to make runs, a criticism that used to be made at FIFA. In FIFA players are always making space for you to pass, and forward runs are actually intelligent to avoid offside as much as possible. Through balls are also delightful in FIFA.

I'd agree with that too. Lost count of how many times my teammates stood facing me asking for a pass instead of running into the obvious space/channel.

FIFA's teammate AI still needs work though. I'd like to see the "smarter" players making more runs into clever areas whereas players not used to getting into space would stand around or run into poor areas.

Also agree with the through balls. I set a move off last night which ended with Aguero sliding a ball through and it looked amazingly realistic. I was far more impressed with the through-ball than when Dzeko scored.

Interesting the amount of folk who have differing camera setups for in-game.

I personally like to play on the default settings, whatever they may be. I tried zoom 0, height 20 last night and just found it "too much". The zoom level was fine, it was the height, it just made me feel a little nauseous - not in a scared of heights kinda way, but more it just didn't feel right. I put it back down to 10 and it was much better.

As for putting the height to 0, wow, that's a definite no go. It's far better seeing more of the pitch than trying to work out perspectives and it seems like guesswork to me in picking out a long pass.

Interesting all the same.

Last edited:
Actually one other thing I really like about FIFA are the sliders, so you can customize CPU difficulty to just what you think is fair and fun. In PES upping the difficulty not only boosts the AI intelligence but gives them all sorts of stat boosts and cheat scripts. In FIFA at least I can use the sliders to compensate for the stat boosts, which is great.

I was very pleased with loading time. It seems to be much faster than fifa 12. Possibility to choose exact time for games is also a nice touch. Visual are indeed much nicer.

If MM is as good as i think it will be (teams do not get messed up in august), it is gonna be a fab year for fifa!

Starting my manager mode Saturday. Can't wait! Was pumped about pes until feedback starting filtering shooting is toned down. Hope this isn't the case. I want two great footy games this year.

Actually one other thing I really like about FIFA are the sliders, so you can customize CPU difficulty to just what you think is fair and fun. In PES upping the difficulty not only boosts the AI intelligence but gives them all sorts of stat boosts and cheat scripts. In FIFA at least I can use the sliders to compensate for the stat boosts, which is great.

Cant be applauded enough really!! Everyone who plays Fifa, should absolutely look into the sliders to make the game as good as it can be for them.

Cant be applauded enough really!! Everyone who plays Fifa, should absolutely look into the sliders to make the game as good as it can be for them.

Here's my problem with them... Crap loads of people play online... therefore can't touch them

If i play with the sliders to make the game tailored to me, i'll get used to that and then when i go online i'll get annihilated because i'm not used to default.

EA should let you set up a custom league/ cup / club league etc with Control settings and include sliders as the default for everyone that joins that entire league.

Then i might play with sliders.

At the moment i cant touch them because it'll spoil online.

Last edited:
Here's my problem with them... Crap loads of people play online...

If i play with the sliders to make the game tailored to me, i'll get used to that and then when i go online i'll get annihilated because i'm not used to default.

EA should let you set up a custom league/ cup / club league etc with Control settings and include sliders as the default for everyone that joins that entire league.

Then i might play with sliders.

At the moment i cant touch them because it'll spoil online.

Yeah I am sort of in the same boat, I like playing the online head to head games. So I prefer to play my Manager game on default settings, so it is exactly the same.

moving sliders online would be great.

Also what is it like setting up online leagues on Fifa now? I haven't seen it for a while, it used to be very basic, has anything changed?

Looking forward to starting a career mode on Saturday, always do an EPL team to start in case there's a first title update that needs a restart, will go with Newcastle this time (last year went with Man City) as they have some cracking players :)

Hmm whilst I will probably be favouring PES this year, there certainly is a favourable FIFA following.

I always play both games every year (I hate fanbois).

My honest opinion (just played PES 2013 all morninng full release)

FIFA 13 demo > PES 2013 full game.

EAs game plays a much better game of football and is more FUN (fun being the key word for me)

Still happy that PES going in right direction though :)

in your opinion, I think the FIFA ones are brilliant the way you have a choice on what to do, just another nice touch especially when playing with mates.

i've gotten used to it and have to say, as much as i hated it first, i like it much more now compared to the goal->cutscene of pes.

can't excatly say why but it just feels good to celebrate :P

I always play both games every year (I hate fanbois).

My honest opinion (just played PES 2013 all morninng full release)

FIFA 13 demo > PES 2013 full game.

EAs game plays a much better game of football and is more FUN (fun being the key word for me)

Still happy that PES going in right direction though :)

Nail on head right there. The fun has been missing from PES for several years now for me.

Had a great moment in the demo - the CPU passed the ball back to their keeper, I went to chase it down, their keeper took an awful first touch which took it away from him, I nipped in, slide tackled a 50/50 with the keeper, got up first and poked it into the empty net :P.

I love how the first touch feature makes this kind of thing possible with dodgy keepers, it's exactly why people chase down keepers in real life.

Last edited:
Had a great moment in the demo - the CPU passed the ball back to their keeper, I went to chase it down, their keeper took an awful first touch which took it away from him, I nipped in, slide tackled a 50/50 with the keeper, got up first and poked it into the empty net :P.

Note to self, keepers can have terrible control as in real life, always pressure them if they receive a back pass!

same happened to me, lol :)

It's also annoying when in FIFA 12 you'd see your tallest defenders in the wall. Has anyone noticed if that is or isn't fixed for 13? I haven't checked.

I always thought this was a CPU AI "Exploit" of sorts... so that they could expose the human player more on set pieces and such by getting the height advantage for their side. Perhaps too much of a conspiracy theory? Nonetheless, yeah, it's been prevalent for years and needs to be fixed.

I always thought this was a CPU AI "Exploit" of sorts... so that they could expose the human player more on set pieces and such by getting the height advantage for their side. Perhaps too much of a conspiracy theory? Nonetheless, yeah, it's been prevalent for years and needs to be fixed.
So much paranoia! :P Can't be a CPU AI exploit when the same would happen in the human's favour, and by extension in multiplayer.

Far more likely that the dev who originally coded the set-piece situations thought either: a) I'll just take the first four players on the list for now, and this was never corrected, or possibly b) let's make the wall as big as possible by using the taller players.

Probably the former. It'll just be an oversight and I imagine it can't be difficult to fix. Remember they used to put your centre-back on the post for corners until they corrected that in 11 I think?

Will have to check free-kick walls next time I play the 13 demo.

I did ejnoy fifa 12 with a mate although i really never felt too passionate about it. Fifa 13 demo is the first fifa that really got me jumping after goals or missed opportunities. AI scores and pulles off some great moves.

After being disappointed with my copy of pes 2013 I am really looking forward to fifa 13.

Btw, i like dynamic camera, no zoom. it reminds me old pes broadcast just a bit wider!

I love how the first touch feature makes this kind of thing possible with dodgy keepers, it's exactly why people chase down keepers in real life.

Yeah the keepers are especially guilty of poor first touches at times.

I've also noticed when the CPU is winning, the goalkeeper tends to time waste, holding on to the ball.

Back
Top Bottom