FIFA 13

Bah I give up, just uninstalled the game. Gone back to the FIFA 13 demo, I have far too many gripes with the full version and I was constantly recognising new ones with every match. For example, at least on World Class difficulty it's far too easy to cut inside and shoot even against top sides, on the demo you can cut inside but if you don't do something with it quickly you'll get crowded out, the full backs show no urgency and then the next defender doesn't close down quickly enough, there is no satisfaction from scoring like that.

I've even seen Impact Engine glitches (players flying off the pitch etc.) and yet I didn't see a single bug in my 200+ demo matches, I think they got the idea of "this demo is not representative of the final product" mixed up. The demo is supposed to be more buggy not the other way around.

Playing the full version for me is like using recycled eco-friendly toilet paper when you've been using double-quilted luxury toilet paper for the previous month.

Had a fun CM freeze last night, offered to buy two players and each player included the same traded player from my side, both clubs accepted, both players accepted the contracts, so then I had the stall/accept/reject offer for both players, I accepted the first, then when I went to accept the second it froze, surely good programming would set in some kind of parameter that if you complete a deal with a traded player another deal just changes to the full value of the fee or something?

I had the same scenario, and I purposefully rejected the deal I didn't want first (to "free" the traded player), then went on with the deal I wanted. Glad my paranoia is paying off.

Placebo, sometimes I think you just enjoy the challenge of finding these CM bugs, because surely you would have anticipated that one! Just like the created formation bug. Don't mess around.

How do you turn OFF the sound of OPPONENT's microphone when playing them online? I just want to hear the game's audio not other shit. Same goes for clubs.

Can I not just play against someone online without hearing their crap?

Yesterday I played this MExican guy who had the TV running loud showing what I'm guessing was some Soap Opera and his wife and kids talking in the background commenting on it! :LOL:

WTF?! I went to options but could only see things like commentary volume, announcer, etc.

You need to go into the xbox settings and I think it is privacy settings or something and put your thing so you can only hear your friends talking (Something like that).

Since you asked, I've just posted them in the Sliders thread here.

I had some very engaging Live Matches just now. I played as Dortmund at Hanover again (I like the stadium and the way the two teams play), then as Levante vs Valencia in the midday Spanish heat, then another local derby as SK Rapid at FK Austria in rainy Vienna. The last was probably my pick of the three.

I think the low Pass Speed slows the tempo down and more interceptions happen. You and the CPU can still make the passes, you've just got to whack the power up when you need it and it's more difficult to squeeze the ball past an opponent, perhaps making you consider your passes more.

With the lower Run Frequency I feel like I still get the movement I require, there are just slightly fewer bodies piling forward. Same for the CPU.

As ever, it's whatever feels best for your own preferences - but feel free to try. Perhaps choose Rapid in the rain or Dortmund overcast.

On another note, if anyone's annoyed by the AI not shooting enough, play versus Valencia - they were taking pot shots from everywhere!

lTHHY.jpg

Valencia at 92% passing accuracy would annoy the **** out of me... :(

I had the same scenario, and I purposefully rejected the deal I didn't want first (to "free" the traded player), then went on with the deal I wanted. Glad my paranoia is paying off.

Placebo, sometimes I think you just enjoy the challenge of finding these CM bugs, because surely you would have anticipated that one! Just like the created formation bug. Don't mess around.

LOL yeah I knew nothing good would come of it, that's why first I backed out, saved, then tried accepting both transfers to see how good EA's programming was, got the expected result, but why the hell don't they test their shit? Shameful.

For me, that's something I really don't mind. If I'm facing a high quality opponent (like Valencia) on Legendary, I expect a challenge and I expect them to be able to retain a good share of possession.

I could perhaps try upping the Pass Error a bit, but I tend to find that passes eventually become too bouncey and less satisfying. I also prefer to keep my sliders equal for the Human/CPU.

My gameplan in this match was to get numbers behind the ball and counter with the pace of Obafemi Martins into the corners, so I was spending a lot of my time trying to prevent the forward passes and forcing them to take the easy sideways/backwards option.

If we look at what happened in the real life match, Valencia apparently completed 88% of their passes.

After my first season in CM i can honestly say i wouldn't really know the difference betwenn fifa 12 with sliders and fifa 13. almost the same.

My biggest complain is that AI players all posses the magic "iniesta" skills, they can turn around and protect the ball in a godlike manner.
Menus are incredibily slow.

CM is a great mode though. But on the pitch the feeling i had with the demo is very much missing.

After my first season in CM i can honestly say i wouldn't really know the difference betwenn fifa 12 with sliders and fifa 13. almost the same.

My biggest complain is that AI players all posses the magic "iniesta" skills, they can turn around and protect the ball in a godlike manner.
Menus are incredibily slow.

CM is a great mode though. But on the pitch the feeling i had with the demo is very much missing.

Yes, that is the most frustrating part of playing against the CPU.

A general question, how do you successfully defend on corners? Of the last 10 I must have conceded around 5 goals. I try to switch to the player nearest the ball but nothing happens, it's like it's locked to one player as soon as the ball is in the air.

Since you asked, I've just posted them in the Sliders thread here.

I had some very engaging Live Matches just now. I played as Dortmund at Hanover again (I like the stadium and the way the two teams play), then as Levante vs Valencia in the midday Spanish heat, then another local derby as SK Rapid at FK Austria in rainy Vienna. The last was probably my pick of the three.

I think the low Pass Speed slows the tempo down and more interceptions happen. You and the CPU can still make the passes, you've just got to whack the power up when you need it and it's more difficult to squeeze the ball past an opponent, perhaps making you consider your passes more.

With the lower Run Frequency I feel like I still get the movement I require, there are just slightly fewer bodies piling forward. Same for the CPU.

As ever, it's whatever feels best for your own preferences - but feel free to try. Perhaps choose Rapid in the rain or Dortmund overcast.

On another note, if anyone's annoyed by the AI not shooting enough, play versus Valencia - they were taking pot shots from everywhere!

All I can say is that it's hilarious how different everyone's preferences are. I played with these sliders as Rapid vs Austria as you recommended and couldn't make it through the entire match!

The words tedious and uneventful came to mind during that match. No one could control the ball. I think I had three shots total and the CPU had two. We barely ever got out of the middle third of the pitch.

Personally, I like the game best when it's only marginally changed from the default settings.

And for the record, I'm not saying your way sucks or anything. Just my own observations.

Personally, I've given up on trying to get realistic passing accuracy stats.

I've yet to find a way that gets the CPU's passing accuracy below 80 percent without at the same time making them too easy to defend, unable to maintain more than 40-45% possession, and ineffective in the final third.

For me they have ruined fifa this year, gameplay is to fast even on slow speed with sliders adjustments.
I just can't enjoy like in fifa 12 I hope they will fix this...

Has anyone heard about EAS FC updates? I know they already added two boots in there but anyone know if there are more planned? Finding update info or anything on FIFA is a pain in the ass.
Everything brings you to some assholes youtube channel which is just countless videos of him talking over nothing in particular, throwing shout outs to other ass eaters.

But really...anything? Haven't started a CM or anything yet, just playing clubs so I was wondering about that.

I still feel like the CPU AI caught the PES 2013 go forward at all costs bug somewhere between demo and final builds, often they will reject the chance to make an easy backwards pass and just do that stupid strafe dribble until a forward pass becomes available (all the while being protected by an invisible forcefield).
I have no idea what you're talking about when you say invisible forcefield.

I don't know what teams you're playing with, but tonight I repeated my Live Match as Levante against Valencia and they were in no way at all piling forward at all costs. Plenty of patient passes in their build up.

Here's one sequence of play (it's all one move, despite the camera angle change during the recording). You can clearly see them making many sideways and backwards passes, taking their time, looking for the gaps.

YouTube - FIFA 13 - Patient AI buildup.avi

That's also an example of how you should not be impatient around the edge of your own penalty area, like I became! I over-committed with my CB at the end and nearly paid for it when he was turned by Jonas.

Incidentally, below is the eventual winning goal of that match, in the 90th minute no less:

YouTube - FIFA 13 - Soldado winner

I completely failed to track Cissokho's run from deep, and despite managing to scramble to get a block in, it eventually fell Soldado's way. I'm enjoying how often these types of unpredictable and 'scrappy' sequences can emerge - a dramatic way to end to the game.

All I can say is that it's hilarious how different everyone's preferences are. I played with these sliders as Rapid vs Austria as you recommended and couldn't make it through the entire match!

The words tedious and uneventful came to mind during that match. No one could control the ball. I think I had three shots total and the CPU had two. We barely ever got out of the middle third of the pitch.
That's how I like it! I prefer it when the matches are tighter, when there's less space, more unpredictable collisions, and when you have to work much harder to create a chance. I also don't know what difficulty you played on - if it wasn't Legendary, then sure it will be easier to restrict their chances.

For me it's both more realistic and more fun at the same time, and the game is finally clicking for me more consistently with these sliders. I can tell that's the case by how often I'm re-watching Instant Replays during matches... and being awake in the early hours playing and typing these posts...

The high First Touch Error really isn't that tough to deal with. Regular use of holding LT to cushion the ball will help. It makes you think more about your first touch rather than assuming it will be automatic as you run onto it, and bouncing balls are a bit tricky to negotiate (as they should be) rather than just brought down instantly.

It can also lead to some crunching sliding tackles when someone has a heavy touch. I think the sliding tackles this year are more satisfying than they've been in any football game.

But this is all the beauty of the sliders, and also evidence of how it's impossible for EA to satisfy everyone. I hope they add more in future - a Stamina slider would be welcome, for example.

Those are really nice videos nerf. To be fair to johnconstantine, I don't see many examples like that in the games that I play. I wish there were more.

And I agree with him that FIFA 13 plays a little too open, and is a little too counter-attack dominate. Most of the problems that I see, I think, comes from lax defensive AI - not covering for teammates bombing forward, not responding to loose balls and 50-50s, remaining passive rather than applying pressure, etc.

That said, it's pretty damn fun nonetheless.

In regards to your sliders, I was playing on Legendary, and get everything that you're saying. I completely understand why someone would be attracted to that style of play.

It's just for me personally, adjusting first touch and passing to the degree that you do makes it a little too easy to defend and little too difficult to score. (Maybe Valencia can manage those slider settings but the teams that I play against in the npower League 2 struggle enough as it is!)

Also, you likely have greater patience than myself. Like I said, it's all about finding your right balance of fun and realism, and for me those sliders just make things a bit too slow.

I'd suggest those folk unhappy with FIFA this year simply watch a real game on TV and imagine they're controlling the players.

There you go, ultra realistic.

It will obviously help matters if you've seen the game prior so know where to move your players etc.

Everyone is saying Slow is still too fast.
Lets hope EA sort that out.

Had a good game last night with Santos v some random Italian team and drew 0-0 but was a good game with posession 52/48 in my favour.

I had 20 game for now. What bothers me the most as a PES fan is:

1- Formation and tactic menu in Fifa are more complicated than Pes. If you want to change your tactics or mentality before a corner kick you can't. Why?

2- I have a problem with passing, it's often going to the wrong player. If I have a loose striker in the wing I try to give him a long throw pass by pressing the Y button for a long time, it goes to a nearest player (PES is better in that)

3- The replay should be better. Replay camera angle is mostly under players feet or behind the net! The replay rarely shows the great build up play before the goal!
As a praise of some great goals, Fifa needs to choose a better concept and view for their replay system.

4- The cinematic needs to be reworked in Fifa.
Examples: When your player (Hulk) waste a chance the cinematic shows (Neymar)!
Another example: when you make a sub the cinematic shows the player who is getting of like he is just warming up! and if you try to pass this cinematic and move on, you just can't you have to enjoy it to the end!

Last edited:

I think this cinematic is showing a player frustrated that they weren't passed to, like Neymar is saying "Hulk you idiot why didn't you pass to me instead of wasting the chance by shooting?". I could be wrong though ;)

I had 20 game for now. What bothers me the most as a PES fan is:

1- Formation and tactic menu in Fifa are more complicated than Pes. If you want to change your tactics or mentality before a corner kick you can't. Why?

2- I have a problem with passing, it's often going to the wrong player. If I have a loose striker in the wing I try to give him a long throw pass by pressing the Y button for a long time, it goes to a nearest player (PES is better in that)

3- The replay should be better. Replay camera angle is mostly under players feet or behind the net! The replay rarely shows the great build up play before the goal!
As a praise of some great goals, Fifa needs to choose a better concept and view for their replay system.

4- The cinematic needs to be reworked in Fifa.
Another example: when you make a sub the cinematic shows the player who is getting of like he is just warming up! and if you try to pass this cinematic and move on, you just can't you have to enjoy it to the end!

I agree on the tactics - its a little anboying you cant switch to ultra offensive once the ball has gone out or at least if you can i dont know how - i suppose you could make an ultra attacking custom set piece and use that

- nothing wrong with passing - if you want total control learn to play manual and you can put it anywhere. neither do i have any problems with throwing..you can even select the receiver and move him and throw it when in space

-I also dont understand the replay issues, you can select loads of views and zoom in/out rotate it as you please

-some cinematics need work but the reason you have watch it to the end is because its loading, I think it used to span the stadium years ago but now it cuts to close ups..I think it keeps the immersion going so I like it. Each to their own

Just signed for Newcastle at the start of the new season (I didn't fancy another full year fighting for promotion and chance the game screws me over again skipping the playoffs).

I've just played a friendly game and then immediately after Cardiff have tried to buy me back!

I think this cinematic is showing a player frustrated that they weren't passed to, like Neymar is saying "Hulk you idiot why didn't you pass to me instead of wasting the chance by shooting?". I could be wrong though ;)
I think it can also sometimes be the player who is the subject du jour. I played against Tottenham and in the intro the commentators were talking about how Brad Friedel's place is under threat from the new signing. Then Friedel was frequently the target of the cinematic camera during the match, as if they were focussing on him even though he had nothing to do with that particular bit of play. Either that or it's bugged.

-some cinematics need work but the reason you have watch it to the end is because its loading, I think it used to span the stadium years ago but now it cuts to close ups..I think it keeps the immersion going so I like it. Each to their own
I'm actually beginning to wonder if the unskippable substitution cut-scene really is always due to loading. I'm on a PC with an SSD hard drive, so loading times are minimal. I've experienced unskippable substitution cut-scenes that have lasted twice as long as it takes to load into an entire match in the first place... which doesn't make immediate sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom