FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

So, FIFA is better than football?

What I mean, and I am bad at expressing myself, is that FIFA allows many things that can't happen in real life look common place.

Not that PES doesn't have some of those things as well, but I feel that the idea behind what is wanted of PES more closely resembles real football, whereas FIFA allows them because it makes the game much easier or better looking.

As I've said before, it's factually incorrect to say FIFA is closer to real football for a number of reasons I won't go repeating yet again.

You have an opinion that FIFA is better? Fine, just don't try telling us it's the more realistic.

No he actually clarified and I think what he is getting at it is that PES limits what a player can do (to represent what a player can really do on the pitch) whereas FIFA allows you to do some things which are not capable by a human player on the pitch. Which is why he enjoys the game. So in that regard I think he's admitting that FIFA is not a true simulation but he prefers it.

Let's not forget that people DO like seeing flashy tricks and flair passing in a game of real football. But FIFA takes it too far and instead of wowing you in that moment you don't expect it, it just makes the gameplay closer to FIFA street than to real football. In that sense, FIFA is arcadish. Sure it might be fun to play and might look "realistic" in terms of looking like a player really doing something - but it's not always realistic in what it allows a player to perform, given his abilities or the particular context. Step in PES...

I hate that bloke and it's Fifa 11.

He's talking about FIFA 12 in regards to how it should improve from 11. Not that difficult to understand really...

Love the fella. Hate him for how he loves to play the game but his commentary is often spot on and I'm glad his videos have gained a decent following. The more people are made aware of FIFA's shortcomings, always the better.

I like, to an extent, what he is doing, but frankly, his type do at least as much damage as they'll ever repair. The way he plays is utterly, utterly gross and his commentary on shortcomings is very limited. If only some of us had his reach.

Lets not get too off-topic and personal in here eh.

As long as nobody has the audacity to post in the Fifa thread that they enjoy playing Fifa and thus upsetting all the PES fans who apparently keep accidentally falling into the Fifa thread, I'm sure all will be fine...

Well I come in here and moan largely because I love football games and want FIFA to step up and improve itself. The guy in that video is pretty annoying but he does hit the nail on the head. This relates to FIFA12 precisely because we can all but expect similar problems to happen again with the mode this year, and that ain't acceptable when people are purchasing this game for £40 a pop. Advertising game modes and features that ultimately don't work properly is a con, plain and simple. Not a deliberate, "I'm going to rob you" kind of con, but they seem to hardcore promote the game, proclaiming it to be a revolution, then release it seemingly clueless as to whether it's actually going to work properly, then when they do find out after release, they do fuck all about it and leave millions of people with a disfunctional game. Thankfully for EA, the vast majority don't seem to give a shit but some of us, who buy FIFA for offline, do.

very unimpressive, looks identical to fifa 11. i know they aren't touching the shooting or goalkeeping but i just don't understand how they have a whole year of development and can't even make some minor improvements to these two massive areas of the game. the shooting gets incredibly tedious in fifa after a while, even on manual where you do get more variety

I like, to an extent, what he is doing, but frankly, his type do at least as much damage as they'll ever repair. The way he plays is utterly, utterly gross and his commentary on shortcomings is very limited. If only some of us had his reach.

As ugly as his techniques are, the developers are mainly at fault here for providing the means in the first place. It's one thing for a game to offer many options but it's another story altogether when there aren't enough counter measures in place to discourage certain over-the-top styles of play (although, an argument could also be made that there aren't enough incentives in FIFA to play a more realistic game of football). That guy simply took advantage of the game's faults to become good at the game (not much different than quickscoping or noobtubing in MW2). His commentary may be limited but then again I don't see anybody else highlighting the same shortcomings on Youtube. I mean, you see tons of complaints in forums, but no where near enough on mainstream channels.

Placebo said:
As long as nobody has the audacity to post in the Fifa thread that they enjoy playing Fifa and thus upsetting all the PES fans who apparently keep accidentally falling into the Fifa thread, I'm sure all will be fine...
Haven't you heard, it's downright impossible for one with an ounce of intelligence to remotely like the game. I fuckin hate many things about FIFA yet there are other gameplay features that makes it highly enjoyable for me. But of course, to describe the game that way would be blasphemous around here.

Well I come in here and moan largely because I love football games and want FIFA to step up and improve itself. The guy in that video is pretty annoying but he does hit the nail on the head. This relates to FIFA12 precisely because we can all but expect similar problems to happen again with the mode this year, and that ain't acceptable when people are purchasing this game for £40 a pop. Advertising game modes and features that ultimately don't work properly is a con, plain and simple. Not a deliberate, "I'm going to rob you" kind of con, but they seem to hardcore promote the game, proclaiming it to be a revolution, then release it seemingly clueless as to whether it's actually going to work properly, then when they do find out after release, they do fuck all about it and leave millions of people with a disfunctional game. Thankfully for EA, the vast majority don't seem to give a shit but some of us, who buy FIFA for offline, do.

Things seem to happen in cycles. This is EA of 2000 all over again. In about 2 years Konami will have nailed the animation aspects of their game and FIFA will be back to being rated lower than PES. I'm Calling it now. Konami just seem more "up for it".

As ugly as his techniques are, the developers are mainly at fault here for providing the means in the first place. It's one thing for a game to offer many options but it's another story altogether when there aren't enough counter measures in place to discourage certain over-the-top styles of play (although, an argument could also be made that there aren't enough incentives in FIFA to play a more realistic game of football). That guy simply took advantage of the game's faults to become good at the game (not much different than quickscoping or noobtubing in MW2). His commentary may be limited but then again I don't see anybody else highlighting the same shortcomings on Youtube. I mean, you see tons of complaints in forums, but no where near enough on mainstream channels.

I don't disagree - it's just that it would be great if we could make some really popular videos like those about more serious issues in more depth - it's just that the people with the fanbase worth making videos for are all his type - the Hjerpseth's and the DJOlajidebt's of the world.

is a rooney video no a goalkeeper video

what do you expect?

Goalkeeping in FIFA has been broken for years. They are superhumans at times and then you got cases like that Rooney shot where the Peter Cech lets the ball pass between his hands. Not to mention how scripted they are which in turn makes goals look so boring because they all look the same. Definitely needs more randomness.

Yeah, I haven't seen any of his other videos, and from the brief glimpses of what can be seen his play style exploits the worst of FIFA, but at least when it comes to MM/CM he absolutely nails the tone of frustration and anger the community has been feeling over the last few years.

And it's much easier to laugh at it when CM this year looks like a promising improvement finally.

Goalkeeping in FIFA has been broken for years. They are superhumans at times and then you got cases like that Rooney shot where the Peter Cech lets the ball pass between his hands. Not to mention how scripted they are which in turn makes goals look so boring because they all look the same. Definitely needs more randomness.

If goalkeeping is one of the sliders that makes it in, I'll be interested to play around with adjusting keeper quality downward while maybe playing on a higher game difficulty. Hopefully we will have the means to find a better balance because right now the relationship between shooting and what actually goes in is not right.

The brazilians teams licenced this year are:

-Atlético Mineiro
-Atlético Paranaense
-Bahia
-Botafogo
-Corinthians
-Coritiba
-Cruzeiro
-Flamengo
-Grêmio
-Palmeiras
-Santos
-São Paulo
-Vasco

And not licenced are: América Mineiro, Atlético Goianiense, Avaí, Ceará, Figueirense, Fluminense e Internacional

The release date here is 29 september, and If you buy the consoles versions (PS3 & 360) you will receive an exclusive t-shirt

fto_ft1_91827.jpg

I think gameplay has a lot to do with as well. When you play against another human opponent, it's easier to score with more variety because you have more space generally. But it depends how you play the game.

Unfortunately, it's far too easy (and encouraged by the gameplay) to score from crosses/corners or 1 v 1 situations. I've found you can score with more diversity if you play longer halves (8 to 10 mins) and knock the ball around, waiting patiently for gaps to open up.

Then again - you can hold down press and secondary press, win the ball and go through for a 1 v 1...over and over and over and over and over.....

And don't forget placed shots. You can 'place' a shot directly at the keeper and he will go into some shit animation that will make him miss the ball. Try it in arena, just use the placed shot modifier and shoot straight, he'll be forced to parry it most of the time, it's ridiculous.

And don't forget placed shots. You can 'place' a shot directly at the keeper and he will go into some shit animation that will make him miss the ball. Try it in arena, just use the placed shot modifier and shoot straight, he'll be forced to parry it most of the time, it's ridiculous.

Yes true that. Just like this goal I scored on FIFA World Cup:

http://www.ea.com/au/football/videos/ugc/87629631

Was the keeper swatting flies away??

Yet if I stand at the 6 hard box and hit a laced rocket to the top corner, he would save it!

Yeah, I haven't seen any of his other videos, and from the brief glimpses of what can be seen his play style exploits the worst of FIFA, but at least when it comes to MM/CM he absolutely nails the tone of frustration and anger the community has been feeling over the last few years.

And it's much easier to laugh at it when CM this year looks like a promising improvement finally.

I hope the CM is good. I've basically wasted a lot of time playing random games online or some leagues but I think I'd try to get boxes ticked while I play CM this year. Just the ability of being able to play across different leagues without having to start up different games is something I can see myself getting stuck into...provided the mode works and provided the gameplay is more balanced than FIFA 11.

Back
Top Bottom