FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

I'm pretty sure it's the opposite, FIFA LOD is far better in wide cam, and PES wins upclose. Has been like this for the past 2/3 years :CONFUSE:

PES certainly loses a huge amount of detail in wide/normal long camera angles, but looks stunning close up. FIFA seems to have been built to provide a televisual-style appearance, hence it looks great from a distance, but the player close-ups look child-scaringly horrific.

I thought this was the general opinion on the two games.

Personally I think neither game has impressive visuals compared to other current games, even other sports games. FIFA still reminds of a cartoon while PES still reminds of last-gen.

But both are sufficient and I'll just wait for next gen to be impressed again.

I think that's a bit harsh for a number of reasons.

Take NBA 2K11 for example. A stunning looking game, that benefits from the fact that basketball is played by only 10 players on a small court, in a league of only 30 teams (NBA). This allows 2K Sports to lavish detail on the game, creating highly individual and realistic looking player models, and highly detailed stadia and crowds.

Same goes for NHL games, tennis games, baseball, etc....they don't have the complexity of 22 men running around a large field, and can be afforded the luxury of highly detailed graphics. Madden for example - 22 players on field, in a large stadium - looks no better than PES or FIFA.

Football games are generally played from more distant angles, so it's difficult have the same kind of 'close-up' graphical impact of the aforementioned games. Plus football is a huge, global sport, so it's only natural that a high level of detail cannot be maintained across the hundreds of teams in PES/FIFA.

Personally I think neither game has impressive visuals compared to other current games, even other sports games. FIFA still reminds of a cartoon while PES still reminds of last-gen.

i agree, none of the screenshots have impressed me so far, maybe i have too high standards though. this last fifa screenshot the players look like injection moulded plastic models, the last pes screenshots it looks nothing like carroll/wilshere to me, the only really impressive faces are the ones done with fifa's multi-face technology. fifa graphics are always too high contrast with an over-vibrant colour palette that looks like it was designed to appeal to ADD suffering 12 year olds

as for the hype about pes im not buying into it at all, even though rodelero's opinions i trust i just cant believe its made that much of a leap in a single iteration. fifa im not expecting much but full manual slow matches against human opponents still hold some fun so if they have fixed the ridiculous defending and improved the ai then it will be a decent game but im naturally pessimistic and think it will be another let down for both games this year

I think both games look sufficiently good enough in terms of still visuals. PES still has some way to go in the animation department, and FIFA could still do with some more character to its visuals. More stadium atmosphere (like the WC game), and greater player distinction. As with so many things they do, the notion of three different body types (stocky, regular, lean) was a good idea in theory that they didn't take far enough when implementing, because it could do with being more noticeable at Tele cam distance. Some more varied running/dribble styles would help.

Last edited:

This.

That part is true, in FIFA every player looks the same from wide-cam specially if you aren't playing with top teams, but PES has severe LOD problems, many details are lost from wide-cam, stuff like tucked shirts, etc...

We must have been playing diferent FIFA games than....On my 360 I can tell right of the gates who is who in the tele camera in fifa(body types, equipment style)... diferently from PES(without Kitserver`s LOD tool) where i cant see evan who has tucked or untucked shirts for exemple...

i think people here wanted to point out which game looks better overall from wide angle camera, not level of lod details.

No atmosphere though. Why would hundreds of fans be holding up scarves with that sort of goal-scoring opportunity? I wish we had real-time crowds

Never thought of real time crowds, that would make the atmosphere of games amazing

Watching a handful of people jump out there seats protesting a foul or referee decision.

Even if they made it so people were doing different things after you score it would make it better instead of everyone in the doing a generic jump up and down with hands in air celebration

That last screenshot looks like a cartoon.

I must say i did enjoy the attention to detail on the captain's armbands in the other screenshots. It's not the kind of thing that adds much to the atmosphere for me but i guess some people will appreciate the new armbands.

It looks cartoonish because of the lighting. And also we've seen the animations in that picture a million times. Terry is actually stopping while jockeying. Rooney is doing the little hop shot/volley and Cech is about to drop to his left and parry the ball away, instantly. Rooney will somehow fall over and not be able to get up for three minutes while Terry will make one of the most spectacular clearances the world has ever seen, and it will drop straight to Drogba.

It looks cartoonish because of the lighting. And also we've seen the animations in that picture a million times. Terry is actually stopping while jockeying. Rooney is doing the little hop shot/volley and Cech is about to drop to his left and parry the ball away, instantly. Rooney will somehow fall over and not be able to get up for three minutes while Terry will make one of the most spectacular clearances the world has ever seen, and it will drop straight to Drogba.

OMG YOU NAILED IT :LOL:

Can you blame them? After undergoing physical and tactical training for 12 hrs, the last thing i'd want to do is come home and play a sim.

It's not football and EA pretty much don't care atm cause it's selling like hotcakes. I wish them the best with it though.

Goodness. Just seen the new PES faces. Konami has definitely caught up in that regard. Gamescom is huge for EA this year. So much positive buzz behind PES at the moment I can see many fleeing the money-pit that is FIFA and swimming back across to PES.

I doubt it. Fifa will sell like crazy as it always does.

or maybe fifa just feels and looks more like real football. smart ai only takes you so far

What FIFA have you been playing? I enjoy FIFA for what it is, a great looking game in its animations and colors. Love the Arcade feeling of it. Really great. Fun football. FIFA is what we wish football would be. Sadly there are limitations to human skill, and real life is not as smooth as FIFA.

or maybe fifa just feels and looks more like real football. smart ai only takes you so far
23610_324002183207_324001543207_3541626_8262941_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom