FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

Yeah super cancel was in since Fifa08 wasn't it? Just it's technically called "cancel" we just all call it super cancel as that's the name we're used to from PES.

That one I didn't know about, have to try to remember to use it :)

Yeah, they added it in FIFA 11 I think? Or is it 10? It was Henry inspired. I'd post the link to his goal but, well, I'm a Utd fan.

I did have quite the shit-eating grin on me when that came off, the match was already done and dusted but he was sliding in all the time and getting away with murder. The thing to watch out for when you use it is that you don't just end up juggling the ball on the spot from pressing RB/R1 too many times.

First fifa game i bought after a lifetime of pro evo and i am really enjoying every minute of it! great package! one questions folks: is there any option for automatic subs or on the fly subs? i really hate pausing the game. Tactical setting could use a lot of work. Even my friend all got converted after the shocking pes 2012. thanks for the reply. i wrote in the EA forum but it seems pretty dead.
Sadly there isn't. I would love a 'quick subs' or 'quick tactics' pop-up menu. We discussed it on this forum about it eighteen months ago. Even SWOS had one.

sensiblesoccerv1111.png

I'm playing some friendly games with Milan vs Inter and I'm in love with the pace of the game. Using the same slides and same settings on a ManU vs Chealse match doesn't feel the same, it's faster, definetly not as good as INter vs milan.

Later i'l post my slides configuration.

Does anyone here play online, organize online tournamments and etc ?

I'm seriously looking forward to play online all days. I just played two head to head matchs and i am really suprised. I didn'tfind any manual match tho, but i played with manual vs assited, of course i lost both games but despite the disavantage was still obvious, it is definetly not like the last fifa i played. At least at my level, ping pong and pressure were not a problem like in last fifas, it seems to be solved in this Fifa. They were really enjoyable, much better pace, much better an solid AI, more tatical and etc...

The first match i lost by 2-0 and the game flew as if i was playing offline. The second one was way too laggy, i conceded a goal in the last minute after a cross, but it was ok. Maybe the game online is not as good when you reach a higher level, but my first impressions were really positive.

I'm lookinf forward to play Manual online matchs, surely it is the true online experience, playing against assisted players still is meh, you still feel big disavantage, but not much expressive like before tho.

My PSNID is DuduBR9 (same as my nickname here). Add me everyone!

Does anyone here play online, organize online tournamments and etc ?

I'm seriously looking forward to play online all days. I just played two head to head matchs and i am really suprised. I didn'tfind any manual match tho, but i played with manual vs assited, of course i lost both games but despite the disavantage was still obvious, it is definetly not like the last fifa i played. At least at my level, ping pong and pressure were not a problem like in last fifas, it seems to be solved in this Fifa. They were really enjoyable, much better pace, much better an solid AI, more tatical and etc...

The first match i lost by 2-0 and the game flew as if i was playing offline. The second one was way too laggy, i conceded a goal in the last minute after a cross, but it was ok. Maybe the game online is not as good when you reach a higher level, but my first impressions were really positive.

I'm lookinf forward to play Manual online matchs, surely it is the true online experience, playing against assisted players still is meh, you still feel big disavantage, but not much expressive like before tho.

My PSNID is DuduBR9 (same as my nickname here). Add me everyone!

If you were on the xbox I would have given you some manual games.

Try head to head seasons online, it is really good and on the xbox I always find manual players to play, hopefully it is the same on the playstation.

If you were on the xbox I would have given you some manual games.

Try head to head seasons online, it is really good and on the xbox I always find manual players to play, hopefully it is the same on the playstation.

I didnt find any manual match yet. And i'm looking forward to play against someone known here, to joing a tournament an etc.

My last two games were draw(0-0 and 1-1), wich are good results considering that i have been playing in manual controlls except for shooting and crossing (semi). It's not a nigtmare like before.:))

When i used to play fifa 09 I remember there was a forum specially organized for manual players, I just don't remember the site anymore.

Last edited:
anyone explain LT jossling to me?

cheers
Winning an aerial battle is very much about positioning your player to gain an advantage before the jump. When the ball is in the air, hold Left Trigger (L2) and move the left stick to force your way in front of your opponent, or bump him out the way, just before you jump for the header. Makes a big difference.

You can alternatively use the LT+RT cancel to do a more extreme bit of re-positioning before the jump.

Winning an aerial battle is very much about positioning your player to gain an advantage before the jump. When the ball is in the air, hold Left Trigger (L2) and move the left stick to force your way in front of your opponent, or bump him out the way, just before you jump for the header. Makes a big difference.

You can alternatively use the LT+RT cancel to do a more extreme bit of re-positioning before the jump.

ooh right i usually do super cancel, never knew l2 alone done it

what if 2 player and both do l2 lol it equals out

do you guys use skill moves often and what are the most effective?

DI you only use them with some players or what?

Which moves do you use?

At 1st I try learn them all and try evertying. Now I just pass and move and mayeb only try a simple skill now and then around edge of box..

Most common skills I use are:

Roll over ball left or right
dummy/fake shot

thats about it really?

do you guys use skill moves often and what are the most effective?

DI you only use them with some players or what?

Which moves do you use?

At 1st I try learn them all and try evertying. Now I just pass and move and mayeb only try a simple skill now and then around edge of box..

Most common skills I use are:

Roll over ball left or right
dummy/fake shot

thats about it really?

I hardly use any skill moves. The only things I use are fake shot (great for rounding keepers), knock on with the right stick, and otherwise I just use the L stick to dribble at different speeds and combined with either LT to move a bit slower, or use the new precision dribble at specific moments (LB).

Generally with the right player all it takes to beat a man is to approach them with the ball and push past and to the side of the tackle. If timed correctly, the dribbler will skip past the challenge. Altering dribble speed, barely moving the direction stick, then moving it a bit more stronger, and using LT (L2) and precision dribble to evade challenges etc works a treat.

One other thing I love doing is a turn similar to the Cruyff turn. Run in one direction, perform the fake shot (pressing shoot then pass immediately after), and pull the L stick in the opposite direction to where you're going. He'll do a kind of Cruyff-esque turn.

Did you know about the LT+RB move to flick the ball up as a first touch? I do quite like that when someone online just slides in all the time.

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/112378199

I didn't know about that, and neither did I know about the super cancel. They're great. I've seen some use the flick up first touch to to a Bergkamp spin, which I'd love to do but have no idea how.

Super cancel is awesome, I used it recently to arc my run as a through ball came through and also to dummy the ball completely. It's difficult but rewarding. It's also helping my defending. The game has an annoying tendancy to make your CB step away from a ball as it comes in to a striker, but using super cancel I'm trying to learn to recognise when that might happen and use it to make the defender attack the ball and get in front of the attacker like a real defender can anticipate the ball and get in front of the pass' recipient. Risky, but has worked a few times.

I also love using LB to control an outfield player on throw ins. Can't believe I hadn't used that until now.

As for jostling using LT (L2), it feels a lot more useful than in previous FIFAs where I'd used it, not got much joy from it, then forgot about it in this game. I've won a lot more headers using this. Only problem I'm finding is that LT is also the button to use to volley. So when I use LT to jostle when attacking a header on goal, it can sometimes make him try a volley. Generally though I do love the volley modifyer, I attempted to do a bycicle kick from the edge of the box the other night and it almost came off, would have been the best goal I'd ever scored in this game.

Last edited:
You know... I've been playing Fifa 12 for two days (I bought my copy monsday), and my veridict so far is that the game is really good, a very good surprise for me. But it's definetly not "there" yet. It's int the half way i'd say...

The new features like tatical defending really added something to the game. The old pressure issue seems to be gone now from what i've seen so far palying against CPU and human. With the ball, your teammates AI movements are very good to give you options to keep the ball in possession, the attacking AI may be not as good as it was in pes 2012 in it's early builds, but it's very decent imo. I'm also surprised by the fact that now the full backs play in line properly and collectivelly, I see them making some steps forwad together to let an attacker off when the opponent team is in a counter. Midfield is much more in presence both in attack and in defence and etc. You now can really cover some spaces and force your opponent to pass back, and by the time your opponent make a lateral or a backward pass, the midfielders already recover and help the defence, so the game is much more tatical than in previous versions, and you can't just sprint towards the ball carrier and steal the ball so easily like before, so covering spaces finally is a better option in many circuntances like irl.

Another good aspect of the game is that it simply works. By saying this I mean that the game gives you good control of your players with and off the ball. You have controll over your players runs when a pass into space is made, you don't see the AI interfering so much in unecessary moments as it happens SO OFTEN in PEs 2012 full release version (it is conpletely supid the fact that you always need to use super cancel), wich was NOT the case with the demos (and this is one of the Main reason why PEs 2012 disappointed me so much, it feels on rails). You feel you are in controll with the game and everything responds well.

BUT despite all these positive stuff about Fifa 12 I'm not sure if the game will be adictive for an year or even for 6 months. I still think that the game lacks something... Maybe is the lack of inertia and gravity in a way that limites your moves. This makes the game feels repetitive to me at times. Something needs to be done here... I miss that difference of dribbling with Rober or Messi that PEs 2011 gave me(both very skilfullbut but yet very different). I specially loved their close controll in pes 2011, so different from each other, but ufortunetly Pes 2011 lacked a better reponsive controlls and the catch up bug and very easy pressure ruined it for me.

yeh the running and dribbling animations and feel in fifa 12 is a bit clumsy/odd/robotic? IMO

I don't how to explain this, and my english doesn't help either.

But i feel that when i'm controlling a player and making some turns to dribble or to open space for a pass or just find a good spot to shoot (not necessarily getting the marking defender behind), I don't know.. I simply don't feel a natural sense of gravity and body limitations, and theere's no much variety between players while dribbling. This also can be apllied to player movements without the ball, defenders can also recover too easy wwith impossible moves.

EA really need to focus on physical body movement with and without the ball, and also first touchs. If EA manage to sort these things out, they can make a classic game. They have the whole package, the game has very good graphics (it could be better, but i don't expect much more than this in this current gen), very good sound, very good content and for the first time (after a ong time) they have a SOLID gameplay that simply works fine (at leat from what i've seen so far), the AI is not perfect but it's way a head of the last fifa i payed, there's no comparison, and now we have space to work with the ballin possession, there's some challenge with the new tatical defending and the new collision physics is good and it will be even more improved since it's a new feature. You know... the game is good, really good, but it lacks this "something", this varied battle in one on one's with different possibilities of dribbling a player with a simple move or messing up the play with bad touchs that help defender to recover and steal the ball, the sense of players sturggling to keep the balance while dribbling as well, and of course all these depending on the player you are controlling.

I know the was probbably much discussed on here, but it really is something that frustrates me since EA, with FIFA12, has given a step with the right direction, but as i sai, they are in the half of the way to dliver us a classic and magical game.

I know this video has been posted here a long time ago, but it really summarizes many things.

EDIT: here's the video. sorry lol

YouTube - FIFA 12 demo lack of weight/inertia

Just pay attetion how quicly the defender recover. He is running in his full speed, but when the attacker brakes, he manages to recover in such speed as if he was just walking before that 180 turn.

Last edited:
u have not posted vieo mate?

Also one thing id liek to see which may or may not work well is.

Say a player gets hit in the head or the ''crothc'' with some guys shot or fast long pass, he falls over or collapses etc...lol funny but realistic it does happen.

And stuff liek players try to turn to quick or something lose footing and slip. I dont know how this could be implemented and not spoil game but just some more realistic ideas?

u have not posted vieo mate?

Also one thing id liek to see which may or may not work well is.

Say a player gets hit in the head or the ''crothc'' with some guys shot or fast long pass, he falls over or collapses etc...lol funny but realistic it does happen.

And stuff liek players try to turn to quick or something lose footing and slip. I dont know how this could be implemented and not spoil game but just some more realistic ideas?

I just edited and added the video.:)) See above.

What i've been experienced is the same weird things of old, like when you clear the ball from your defence and reach full bar, in the midfield a player always control the ball on his chest as if it was a perfect long ball pass from Ronaldinho in his prime. wtf...

I know these things were not sorted before getting the game. But they must be the first suggestion to the next fifa.

I just edited and added the video.:)) See above.

What i've been experienced is the same weird things of old, like when you clear the ball from your defence and reach full bar, in the midfield a player always control the ball on his chest as if it was a perfect long ball pass from Ronaldinho in his prime. wtf...

I know these things were not sorted before getting the game. But they must be the first suggestion to the next fifa.

yes are you on assisted? I think manual less chance of this?

But yeh to often balls are automated to players whereas in real life balls can be short, to long or bounce a few times or have a cahse to the ball if it goes in space etc....

Also if a players falls over or is beaten, wrong footed in real life they take a while to recover, or as in your video exmaple change direction whislt running at full speed there should be a stutter or delay not an auto change of direction ....

Maybe FIFa will listen to these thigns if we make them aware? Can we? And then implement it into next versions?

Last edited:
yes are you on assisted? I think manual less chance of this?

But yeh to often balls are automated to players whereas in real life balls can be short, to long or bounce a few times or have a cahse to the ball if it goes in space etc....

Also if a players falls over or is beaten, wrong footed in real life they take a while to recover, or as in your video exmaple change direction whislt running at full speed there should be a stutter or delay not an auto change of direction ....

Maybe FIFa will listen to these thigns if we make them aware? Can we? And then implement it into next versions?

I play manual passing. Everyhting manual expcepct for shooting cause it takes too much time to get used to.

But i was not talking about the possibility of passing the ball how you'd like to. My complaint is about how easily any player can controll the ball wih his chest regardless the power of the pass. As I said, even when you clear the ball from your defence, if the ball goes straight to a player like a missel this player will controll the ball as if it was a ckass long ball from Ronaldinho in his prime.

I'll upload a video about this when it happens, you will see.

As for Ea listing to their fans, well, it took too long for them to fix the pressure issue for example, but they pratically did wih the new tatical defending system.

These problems i mentioned are number 1 in my book.

I play manual passing. Everyhting manual expcepct for shooting cause it takes too much time to get used to.

But i was not talking about the possibility of passing the ball how you'd like to. My complaint is about how easily any player can controll the ball wih his chest regardless the power of the pass. As I said, even when you clear the ball from your defence, if the ball goes straight to a player like a missel this player will controll the ball as if it was a ckass long ball from Ronaldinho in his prime.

I'll upload a video about this when it happens, you will see.

As for Ea listing to their fans, well, it took too long for them to fix the pressure issue for example, but they pratically did wih the new tatical defending system.

These problems i mentioned are number 1 in my book.

you prefer tactical defending?

Well I see what you are saying I am sure I can recall incidnets of passes being so hard they just bounced of the player rather than controlled it easy...I dunno..Next time I play I will check this aspect.

But I get your point if you hammer a ball at a player it owuld not be instantly close controlled.

Yeah Tactical defending is great.

I play with my brother in law and he plays everything assisted and legacy defending and I have everything manual and tactical defending.

So frustrating when he is pressuring all of the time and I get a proper spanking sometimes. But it is worth it when I beat him, knowing that I I am on all manual. To be fair most games are pretty close.

I use the games against him though as practice, I don't expect to win, so when I do it is a pleasant suprise.

Tactical defending, once you get the hang of it, is brilliantly implemented. It adds huge depth to the game.

Tactical defending is much much better. Its EA taking a step towards 'growing up' a little, making FIFA a little more mature.
All too easy to clamp a button and have auto-pressure take the ball for you, tactical requires patience, timing and awareness of your surroundings, and opens the game up more.

Great decision from EA to take away the 15yr old online players favourite toy!

ok last night I never noticed long balls with but with short passes if they dotn go directly to the players feet or you hit it to hard they dotn control it well or it bounces of them.

Tactical defending is much much better. Its EA taking a step towards 'growing up' a little, making FIFA a little more mature.
All too easy to clamp a button and have auto-pressure take the ball for you, tactical requires patience, timing and awareness of your surroundings, and opens the game up more.

Great decision from EA to take away the 15yr old online players favourite toy!

but I moved 2nd teammate pressure to sqaure button and it feels just the same as legenadary now?

but I moved 2nd teammate pressure to sqaure button and it feels just the same as legenadary now?

I assume you mean legacy not legendary?
With legacy defending you only had to hold the pressure button and your player would home in on the ball carrier like a laser guided missile, and take it off him with a tackle.
Holding secondary pressure now wont do that, it will close in and pressure the ball carrier as its meant to but stay a yard or so away from him so you still have to time your time and/or cover passing lanes etc.

tactical is nothing like legacy.

Back
Top Bottom