Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

And you coming from the land of the acronym as well ;) Some people do mistakenly call it BPL as in "Barclays Premier League" but that would mean that the Russian Premier league is also BPL (assuming still sponsored by Baltika Breweries?)

And you coming from the land of the acronym as well ;) Some people do mistakenly call it BPL as in "Barclays Premier League" but that would mean that the Russian Premier league is also BPL (assuming still sponsored by Baltika Breweries?)
Ha. Ha. nice lil dig at where I'm from there(but alas, it's the truth and I don't expect anything else from you having spent some time here yourself heh). It is actually commonly referred to as BPL over here though as you probably already know, we never need any distinction between the top english and russian leagues ;)

Haha cool....and "unique" is one way to put it I guess (probably helped that the adjective's in our damn tourism slogan).

They didn't need to become partners of EPL to do that, they could've purchased data from companies such as Optasports (which is what Konami has been doing for the past 10 years or so for their J-League games, dunno about PES though) instead of being cheapskates and resorting to amateur'ish, non-professional volunteers from the intarnetz (in before Placebo).

Yay for publicity stunts, how about getting the remaining 15 leagues right...

I don't know much about the relative packages on offer for access to data from, say, Optasports. I imagine it would involve payments for one off snapshots? I'd be surprised if you could get a good deal on a week by week, game by game feed of the smallest details. Having direct access to data is far better than having to go via a third party.

Obviously it's down to EA to use the data accurately so it could be that they bugger it up. But the more data they have access to the better - not just for the league they sign up for in this capacity, but for every team and player in FIFA.

Does Pro Passing (or whatever the ability to fuck up passes is called) only affect the direction of passes, or will it affect the weighting and height of passes too? I saw the video where it shows the attribute-based error but I only remember seeing the cone shape of where the ball can be hit which is bigger for worse players, I don't remember seeing weighting or height differences.

What made the passing game of PES5 more realistic than other games was the way that the passes would bounce more and arrive at awkward heights to accurately control/pass/shoot if you tried difficult passes without a world class passer or tried "ping-pong" first touch passing without an Arsenal or Barcelona.

They didn't need to become partners of EPL to do that, they could've purchased data from companies such as Optasports (which is what Konami has been doing for the past 10 years or so for their J-League games, dunno about PES though) instead of being cheapskates and resorting to amateur'ish, non-professional volunteers from the intarnetz (in before Placebo).

Yay for publicity stunts, how about getting the remaining 15 leagues right...

They could but with that EA wouldnt get all the branding they are going to get with this

Does Pro Passing (or whatever the ability to fuck up passes is called) only affect the direction of passes, or will it affect the weighting and height of passes too? I saw the video where it shows the attribute-based error but I only remember seeing the cone shape of where the ball can be hit which is bigger for worse players, I don't remember seeing weighting or height differences.

What made the passing game of PES5 more realistic than other games was the way that the passes would bounce more and arrive at awkward heights to accurately control/pass/shoot if you tried difficult passes without a world class passer or tried "ping-pong" first touch passing without an Arsenal or Barcelona.
:SHOCK::FAIL:

Where the fuck have you been, Rob? :LOL:

I just check this thread every so often... I don't read every post so sorry if I missed something obvious... but there is a lot of talk about stuff like boots and shit and recently a load of PC v console stuff.

Anyway by the sounds of it the answer is yes which is good, but knowing EA I don't think they will implement it to the extent that it stops easy ping-pong passing as 90% of the tossers online wouldn't be able to play the game without it...

Read my Hands-On stuff in the links for the info you're after. You can kind of ping pong but the bobble, speed and direction of the passes take a signficant hit. You certainly can't ping pong over large distances which is where FIFAs past would kill you.

I just check this thread every so often... I don't read every post so sorry if I missed something obvious... but there is a lot of talk about stuff like boots and shit and recently a load of PC v console stuff.

Anyway by the sounds of it the answer is yes which is good, but knowing EA I don't think they will implement it to the extent that it stops easy ping-pong passing as 90% of the tossers online wouldn't be able to play the game without it...

agreed, its hard to track down info in this thread

Might as well start the ball rolling here. Fifa 11 news should come in a montsh time but to kick start it off what do you guys think of this:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1088621p1.html

Say if that was implemented on fifa 11?

bumping this one. what you guys think? many here like to trade in/buy second hand copies of fifa if its shit etc but this could question whether its best to buy brand new and be done with it whether you like it or not

bumping this one. what you guys think? many here like to trade in/buy second hand copies of fifa if its shit etc but this could question whether its best to buy brand new and be done with it whether you like it or not

I would rather the game be $7 cheaper initially and then I can choose to not register for online play and save the money :)

I would rather the game be $7 cheaper initially and then I can choose to not register for online play and save the money :)

You never know about the online until you try. Also I haven't heard EA say anything about custom tactics. Have they fixed them or not?

Sorry if it seems off topic but I just stumbled across these 2 pictures and they show how far NBA2K has reached in terms of player modeling.

nba-2k11-playstation-3-ps3-006.jpg

nba-2k11-playstation-3-ps3-005.jpg

Obviously there are far too many players on FIFA to reach this level of realism but surely for the poster boys (Rooney and co), EA should do better in terms of likeness.Surely it ain't the most important aspect of the game but it's still nice to have better modeling

Make sure to watch it in high definition if you want to be able to vaguely see what's going on. It's the first time I've ever seen 'over the shoulder' gameplay of a FIFA game as you called it (I like that) and didn't think:

Ugh, why can't they just play properly? Whether that's because these people like playing properly or because the game forces you to play like that more so is hard to know of course.

A lot of the defender behaviour is CPU oriented, so you can see the defensive line, while having some natural fluidity as defenders move up or back, is still a lot tighter with defenders working as much more of a unit. You see a defender drop further back to cover the RS's run as a pass is about to come through but the passing option for the LS is shut off - the general passing speed would not find the LS racing away from the defence. You also see a defensive mid dropping back at some point to cover a run from deep as the defender pushes up and out of position.

Santi talks about one of the bits of tech they have (which they told us about in Canada - sorry I forgot!) where they can teach the AI what sorts of tricks a particular player uses - so Ronaldo does more chops and stepovers for example. It's also mentioned by Dave Rutter in the video interview in this polish link:

Google Translate

Note also, that Santi says you can play with your custom teams online (unranked I assume), or offline in Exhibition or Tournament modes. Doesn't say Career mode. So mixed pickings there - you can at least play in a campaign of sorts with your team.

I've asked Gary if we can have a full list of modes where we can/can't use created teams. Dunno if I'll get an answer from him as it's the bloody busy period for the next couple of months! But I've asked Phil Wride if he can do the same - he's a lot easier to get hold of and I know I can bribe him with money for his cranberry juice addiction.

Last edited:
Learning AI is an interesting one. Never played a game where I really thought it was hugely successful. Forza's AI is, supposedly, created with this method - and I don't think it's anything special in terms of realistic/fair driving.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if they got a few dedicated testers to play as their team plays, and slowly teach them how to play, so hopefully this builds out of just being for tricks. Hopefully the people doing this 'teaching' actually know how Ronaldo plays or it could be pretty bizarre!

"Translated" French article

Original Link

That is, the embargo has just finished a minute ago and FIFA Fuma.com is already at attention to give you his impressions on the latest Beta as of FIFA 11.

As we had announced last week in the post on the Executive Tower of David Rutter, we were invited to take charge of a 75% finished version of the much anticipated FIFA 11.

For latecomers, I invite you to read articles about the trip to the studios in Vancouver and the headquarters of EA for the purpose of this article is clearly starting all over again but to present two or three new things and the feeling we had in hand controller. Things are clear ...

FIFA 11: Our Impressions

There was a long way since the beta test we had been in Lyon. Although some bugs are still annoying, especially when the player does not control the ball and let him go, we felt a real breakthrough in the gameplay. A breakthrough indeed quite difficult to transcribe because our session was found quite short.

However, it has been noticed a breakthrough in the attacks that tend to fall rather than fly. The passes, since we had trouble receiving, we could not really see the difference.

Except maybe on the high passes in which we found less and less powerful rotating in their basic form.

No real news on the guardian, it is reactive as it should without being impenetrable wall of FIFA World Cup.

Manager Mode - FIFA 11

Unfortunately we have not had the chance to try out career mode. The presentation that we had put forward the issues which had rotted manager mode in FIFA 10 and the solutions made to FIFA 11.

Complete overhaul of engine, interface closely resembling FIFA World Cup, can integrate your pro player with more options or revised transfer system are programmed to allow us to assess (finally) and its fair value mode. Now, we hope that this is not a sham and are also quite worried about quality mode.

Even if we repeat, we have not touched this way, we would be very disappointed to see the bugger, so we asked a lot to play (and why not the debugger).

One can only wait for two unfortunate that pictures here ...

Interface career mode in FIFA 11 Supply transfer FIFA 11

The alternative FUMA for FIFA 11

The big news, once will not hurt, just the new system configuration of the controller. Farewell selection bar of the player, you can now choose between manual and automatic on center.

We find it next to the traditional configuration choices with another innovation: The type of sprint. For cons, the option was inactive in the game so we could not test it but there would obviously feeling stronger by pressing the button.

It's a safe bet that this system have been implemented to meet the classification online configuration that has been promised to Vancouver. This homogenization was necessary and is not too strange at first sight.

As I have told you not huge news but strictly speaking the sum of small details that are placed end to end the game it is found grown.

The version provided the Gamescom is likely very close to the final and the area the first place in Europe where it will be playable at all.

The game continues in the "right" path traced by any development team which bodes well for two months in the output trays.

As usual, we will try to answer your questions as quickly as possible. Of those gentlemen, soon!

PS: Feel free to share on Facebook or Twitter or any other section networks. The FUMA not win alone and a little publicity stunt is never enough!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom