Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Re: Fifa 11

Drek,

The point I was making about the technology is that EA have been building from nothing, essentially. They've gutted FIFA out and replaced everything with new back-end systems. The downside of them radically overhauling tech in each area is that they aren't able to overhaul in every area at once, which creates these imbalances that we've all posted about in here for the past year or more.

FIFA has expanded so rapidly in a short period of time that until this year it's left a lot of holes in the system. FIFA 08 felt balanced in the same way that PES 2010 felt kind of balanced - because the responsiveness was so fucked that nobody could do anything! Every FIFA since has built upwards but not filled in all the blanks. Instead of building a one-storey house, they kind of built a two storey house using the same number of bricks, leaving big holes in the wall. It's a much more impressive building, but you wouldn't want to live in it for a year. Plus if you try and build any higher it's at serious risk of collapsing.

I fully agree that it's better to play a balanced game than a more technologically advanced but unbalanced game. But the upside is that we're almost there now, technologically. I do see 09 and 10 as growing pains now. FIFA's 09 and 10 are proof of what happens if a dev gets overambitious with what they want to put into a game within a year - not enough time is spare to make sure the game is bug free or inexploitable and the end result is a game that feels unfinished. That's because, IMO, they weren't finished.

This is the first FIFA where the main thing they're working on is the numbers behind the technology, not the technology itself. The gameplay experience, not the framework from which you then build a game. The only real technological advances they're going for this year are the keepers and the organic shielding - everything else is about how the game actually feels to play. They're filling the walls in, and they're decorating too. It's a much more solid base from which to continue building up - and a lot of what they've built is future roof enough to be carried across to the next gen without them having to do much more work (I'm speculating, but the way they'd building the tech is designed to give them as much freedom to keep building on top.
I have always felt that EA just added new features to put paper over the cracks in regards to the crappy AI.

Last edited:

To Romagnoli,
Do you know if it's been mentioned to EA about how all our editing can be undone by squad updates etc. For example, last year they included the feature where you could rename the stadiums. This was brilliant so I spent a long time adding all the correct stadium names, only for it all to go missing when a squad update was released. This really needs to be fixed , even more so now FIFA 11 has more editable/customisation to it.

Hi,

No idea I'm afraid. I can't see the custom teams disappearing - the way I expect it to work is that each team will be a separate file of some sort, or will be added to a single, separate file. It won't be built into the standard squad update - if it is then that'd be a whole new level of mental above what was in FIFA 10.

The kits looks so much better in the close-ups. Hope they look like that ingame. The new scanning technique makes the players look much less cartooney too.

00yza19d
That screen looks really nice. looks way better than PES. Hopefully it'll be pretty close in game.

hey Romagnoli,

Thanks for that latest detailed impressions man, you sure know how to keep us well-fed with info :)

I've a question though, what do you mean by the lack of one-footed dribbling? I uploaded this vid back when the Fifa10 demo came out and it clearly shows players controlling the ball with their dominant foot (Ibrahimovic with his right all the way through to goal). Are you referring to a different style of dribbling that you wish to see implemented?

YouTube - FIFA 10 demo - close control dribbling

hey Romagnoli,

Thanks for that latest detailed impressions man, you sure know how to keep us well-fed with info :)

I've a question though, what do you mean by the lack of one-footed dribbling? I uploaded this vid back when the Fifa10 demo came out and it clearly shows players controlling the ball with their dominant foot (Ibrahimovic with his right all the way through to goal). Are you referring to a different style of dribbling that you wish to see implemented?

Ah. That's interesting! Does he dribble the same in WC2010, that's the question.. I'll have a look when I get back from work.

It's possible that the player I tested this with (can't remember who) had an incorrect weaker foot rating. The attributes use were pretty much taken from FIFA 10 with a few changes so that Robben and Arshavin etc have close control dribbling. If it was the same then Luis Valencia for example has something like 4 stars for weaker foot accuracy in FIFA 10, when in real life he might as well just have a stump for a left leg.

How were they fixing it, surely it goes like that when play is in the radar area?..
It needs to go transparent or have the option to have it like that all the time or am I missing something?...
Tbh I have no clue on how they were supposed to fix it (if it was their intention in the first place).I just noticed that the radar which could be such a great ally like on PES is useless on FIFA.The fact that it goes transparent or not, it's still hard to have a clear look.
hey Romagnoli,

It's just one example where it works but there are a lot more where you can see Zlatan dribbling on his left leg as if it was his strongest foot.You can also this problem when it comes to passing and shooting.Regardless of stats sometimes you see some players using unrealistically their weaker foot.

Also the fact that the radar is very inaccurate makes it pretty pointless. Tbh I don't mind the fading in and out much, it's that it's so inaccurate! Test it out, put your player on the edge of the area and see where the radar says he is!

How were they fixing it, surely it goes like that when play is in the radar area?..
It needs to go transparent or have the option to have it like that all the time or am I missing something?...

Well anywhere you're near the lower edge of the screen the radar fades out even if the player you're controlling or the ball isn't that close to the radar, maybe the camera needs to pan down more so the radar moves off screen below the touchline but you can still see it and thus switch play easily to the other flank.

Yeah its more of a camera problem than the Radar, i noticed that the cameras are very rigid and dont pan quickly enough.

Countless times when playing online i've lost possesion because my player with the ball is very close to the edge of the screen and the cam just doesn't catch up quickly enough.

If you notice on PES, the ball is always in the middle of the screen whereas on FIFA the camera tends to scroll with the ball when it gets near the edge of the screen by which time it's normally to late to make a passing decision, partically online when playing against pressure abusers.

Apparently news is going to land 'before AND after' the 22nd. That's what Adam said on FSB anyhow...

Well anywhere you're near the lower edge of the screen the radar fades out even if the player you're controlling or the ball isn't that close to the radar, maybe the camera needs to pan down more so the radar moves off screen below the touchline but you can still see it and thus switch play easily to the other flank.

Ahh.. I see what you mean...

Back
Top Bottom