Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Re: Fifa 11

Gab,

just had some responses. We're pretty sure it's for all aerial challenges, not just set pieces. I don't see how EA would code the game to differentiate between one and another from the perspective of the players in the middle..

Thanks a lot mate, good to hear!

So would that mean that under the improved system, a misdirected pass on assisted could conceivably go just into space, much like a manual pass currently can?

And if that were the case, then we should also be seeing cpu players making misdirected passes?
It could go into space, but realistically the player meant to be receiving the ball would often react and move toward the ball. I think the max passing speed was slightly reduced to try and counter balance the fact that the heavy first touch system wasn't in yet.

I did hit the ball out of play on the new build as Hamburg and Gary ribbed me for it, but I'd have to get more play time in with the new build to give a fuller assessment of just how much into space the ball goes - in the old build the top passing speed was far too slow and so even if there was inaccuracy (which there was) the recipient would have so much time to react to inaccuracy that it felt as if it was too subtly implemented.

It was better for the new build, and yes the error is into space rather than towards a defender, but there was a lot more to the type of pass error than just direction. I'll go into this more when I've had another play.

I know you probably got very little game time but how did the free ball seem, I find a good 95+ percentage of the time the ball never runs free, it mostly falls to the AI, this goes with tackles missed passes and clearances..

There is always a player there, not to mention your players inability to clear a ball more than 20 yards..

This for me adds to the "whole things on rails" feeling and there are times when every single loose ball goes to the AI...
This ties in a lot with what was said above. I also think EA are still working on toning down the accuracy of players' understanding of ball trajectories, which is where that attribute they mentioned about Interceptions comes into play. The accuracy of the passes is only half the story - the movement of the players to the exact right area is what makes high balls, for example, look laser guided.

Also, dunno if you remember me mentioning the tackling system? You should find the ball gets knocked into defensive space a lot more. The aerial game has also been improved with headers looping a lot more. Pressing X does not automatically mean the header will be down to feet; there was a lot of head tennis to the game as we played it.
How are highlights and replays?

Did they mention that they will be making them better?

They're improving how you go about making replays but everything else was still FIFA 10 tech in our uilds. Whether anything is being done about highlights was answered above, but I did mention to Gary that we want to be able to see more buildup and more realistic camera angles..

Gab,

just had some responses. We're pretty sure it's for all aerial challenges, not just set pieces. I don't see how EA would code the game to differentiate between one and another from the perspective of the players in the middle..

This ties in a lot with what was said above. I also think EA are still working on toning down the accuracy of players' understanding of ball trajectories, which is where that attribute they mentioned about Interceptions comes into play. The accuracy of the passes is only half the story - the movement of the players to the exact right area is what makes high balls, for example, look laser guided.

Also, dunno if you remember me mentioning the tackling system? You should find the ball gets knocked into defensive space a lot more. The aerial game has also been improved with headers looping a lot more. Pressing X does not automatically mean the header will be down to feet; there was a lot of head tennis to the game as we played it.

:TU: Nice to hear on the lock side and TBH I'm losing track on whats been posted and not I need to sit down and go through all the posts here and on EA...:P

I'll be happy if the ball does run freer it's annoying how it seems stuck to players at the moment...

I personally feel crossing swerves less in the WC game. Scripting is the wrong word for what was going on; it was the calculations for swerve that were too much. If there was any scripting then it was in the movement of the attacker to meet the ball perfectly. This is one of the things to be fixed for FIFA 11 but not in the old build, which was mostly unchanged from the WC game.

Looks like A LOT of stuff has been worked on. Can't wait to see the culmination of their efforts.

Last edited:

Yeah it's all good news, with hopefully a bug free, or atleast minimal, MM it should be back again. It's amusing to see both games now introducing the same improvements each year! Last year it was 360 and an "improved" MM, this year it's more complicated passing.

Did people notice the stuff about making a hardcore sim mode for the future? Gary mentions a guy called Ben Carter who is responsible for a 'new patching system'. Sounds like tweaks are going to be much more feasible (and less expensive) than in FIFA 10. He makes it sound internal to the game so therefore not something MS or Sony have to approve? But it also underlines that they don't want to remain stuck in an arcadey rut as people would have assumed only a few days ago.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, though Sony/Microsoft wouldn't have to approve each patch, they would have to approve the system. As far as I remember, Infinity Ward were going to do something like that and it went nowhere - so perhaps it will end up the same way here.

The easiest way I would have thought is to have a number of sort of EA-dictated 'sliders' if you will, which are downloaded similarly to the squads. So if they think X Y or Z is slightly too high -they- can edit it for a day and see how it affects things.

Maybe they can get it through Micro/Sony though.

It is? Even if it is, if they improve upon what PES does i'm all for it.

You mad? :lol:

Sorry guys but.. now i saw the video by EA for Personality + ... and this is total Rip off PES :X
Just.... look
Incompatible Browser | Facebook

*Facepalm* Yes, you're right. Player attribute dependency was invented by PES. It wasn't introduced to real football until Sepp Blatter noticed how PES 2 was much deeper than football.

Thanks for the vid, but next time think about what you're saying. That way you won't have to start posts with 'sorry guys'.

How is giving the players more individuality ripping of PES? Ripping of gamemodes is one thing, but if something exist in real football it is not ripping off PES. Hopefully you're being sarcastic.

Everything in that video is welcomed and shows they're listening to the community (well the sensible part of the community that give them proper feedback).

Edit: romagnoli beat me to it...

Do you have any clue how manual passes can/will be curved? This is one of the things I'm always slightly concerned about - it's all very well if Cesc Fabregas is curling a pass around a player - but how is a manual player going to dictate that?

Currently it's possible to get curve on long passes but it always feels a bit random - just something which comes with the territory of smacking a long pass.

Seriously I don't see in these video nothig special.

I do.

I'm assuming they're not just going to classify players as low or high at any given skill, but will have a full range of skill levels in between.

This will potentially make a big difference in the gameplay.

However, it does make me wonder what all the player stats in the current game do. I mean, don't they already have shooting accuracy stats? So what effect do they have and why do they require this new additional shooting skill level?

But I'll be particularly pleased to see the passing skill and first touch skills being implemented if it brings an end to the pixel-pefect "scripted" feel of the current game. I was just about to post about how first touch is one area they really need to sort, as it one of they key areas that differentiates between the top players and the vast majority of average players.

But they must ensure cpu players with lower skill levels are prone to the same errors as human controlled players, otherwise the 1-player game remains dead.

Also, they need to ensure they don't just make all lower-league players low skill at everything, and every match being a slog fest with no individuality. There are plenty of lower-league players with good skills and abilities but lacking in other attributes.

I'll also be very intrigued to see if tghere is a noticable difference in running at a low-skill defender compared with a high. Could this be the end of the game-killing cpu defensive tactic of just barging you and winning every single tackle or challenge? I'll believe it when I see it.

Do you have any clue how manual passes can/will be curved? This is one of the things I'm always slightly concerned about - it's all very well if Cesc Fabregas is curling a pass around a player - but how is a manual player going to dictate that?

Currently it's possible to get curve on long passes but it always feels a bit random - just something which comes with the territory of smacking a long pass.

My interpretation of earlier comments was that it would be scripted. :BOP:

Human controlled after touch would be welcomed. It was one of the great features on Sensible Soccer and Kick Off 2, yet still not in PES/FIFA nearly 20 years later.

The problem with aftertouch is that 'aftertouch' isn't realistic. In KickOff/Sensi you couldn't see what the ball was doing or how the ball was kicked, so what the ball did after contact with the foot would make sense regardless.

Football games are now a million times more sophisticated in terms of how it represents the contact with the foot, but also in how much it needs to look believable for our brains to process it without questioning what is going on.

I don't know how manual passing will represent swerve, but it's a bloody hard question to answer - how do you represent such a thing without (a) automating swerve, (b) having to artificially add ball spin after the ball has been kicked, or (c) making the system so hard to use that it isn't practical?

There was swerve on manual through balls in WC2010, for those who didn't know. You have to charge the pass right up before it starts to kick in though. The swerve on long passes is based on the amount you charge the power up and the angle of your body relative to the ball and the direction you want to play it. I use the swerving long ball a hell of a lot.

My interpretation of earlier comments was that it would be scripted. :BOP:

Human controlled after touch would be welcomed. It was one of the great features on Sensible Soccer and Kick Off 2, yet still not in PES/FIFA nearly 20 years later.

It was laughable in those games looking back though. I'm happy for it to be automated and agree with parts of what Roman just said.

Good vid, that's what we want! Although he does have a poor choice of words when explaining the defending. :D (Small tackle Gary?.....)

In fifa10 Vidic has the same ball controll like Nani :D I hope they will change it. I think wc2010 is very similar in this aspect to F10

Traits are those special abilities like "Long Throw", or "Bullet Headers", or "Flair Player", or "Fan Favourite" etc.

Rom, do you know for a fact that these are some of the traits or are you just using them as an example? I like the sound of "Bullet Headers"

That is a point to bring up though, FIFA 10 (and all the previous ones) have had stats for Passing, Shooting and tacking, they just didn't work! have EA confessed to them just making up numbers and whats stopping them from making these new stats working any better than the previous set.

Thanks Gab and Romagnoli for answering my highlights question :DD

Hopefully they are longer and they show the right highlights and all of the highlights.

An option to be able to choose the highlights they show aswell would be nice, but that is jsut a dream :))

Anyway I have my fingers crossed that they will improve the highlights and replays!

That is a point to bring up though, FIFA 10 (and all the previous ones) have had stats for Passing, Shooting and tacking, they just didn't work! have EA confessed to them just making up numbers and whats stopping them from making these new stats working any better than the previous set.

Well no, they weren't making numbers up! But they weren't being used properly. I think the short passing stat was being used for speed of pass and also for the ability to use certain passing animations, for example. Shooting was put in before this particular FIFA; it's actually the shooting system which they've ported across for the passing.

Thanks Gab and Romagnoli for answering my highlights question :DD

Hopefully they are longer and they show the right highlights and all of the highlights.

An option to be able to choose the highlights they show aswell would be nice, but that is jsut a dream :))

Anyway I have my fingers crossed that they will improve the highlights and replays!

About the highlights and the issue with xbox not having enough storage space, take a look at Halo 3s Theater mode on Xbox. It saved about 20 full matches from which you could follow any player, watch from any angle, save pics and edit clips to send to anyone on your friends list. I don't see how saving full matches would be an issue

Back
Top Bottom