FIFA 11 Career Mode Thread PS3/360

Would be fun to know:

What team are you playing with in CM?
What tactics do you use?
Which difficulty?
Have you made any transfers, in or out?
Have you done anything special to make it feel more authentic (changed teams CT's etc.)?

Anyone else playing on the PS3 finding that the game when processing through the Calender is very slowly, sometimes takes a minute or so to move from one day to another.

Do I need to install the game on my hard drive to make it faster, if so how so I do that on the PS3?

Also seen some stupid transfers on Career Mode, Rio Ferdinand to Arsenal, Essien to Man City, Walcott to Bayern, Adebayor to West Ham but to name a few.

Okay, I've been playing 'Manager' mode only pretty much so far because this time (In FIFA11,) starting 'Player' Mode, I just couldn't get into it this time. I think I had the same problem many others had though. I was very surprised by how CRAP my team-mates are! Something I didn't have a problem at all in previous FIFA with. Even playing against much weaker oppositions, it seemed like my team was always on back-foot and other team having all the possession etc.

So thanks a lot for that piece of info on last page Nick. I'll go check to see if that option is 'off', that might fix my problems and allow me to actually enjoy 'Player' mode which is something I always have.

I played in the league cup against Wigan and they fielded their first team, against League 1 Sheffield Wednesday that's not realistic

I know when I had a pre-season friendly against Real Madrid though at home with Chaleroi, they pretty much had their 2nd string players against me.

It was still a good team, Pedro Leon, Gago, Lassana Diarra at Left-back! :SHOCK: but no Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema, PEpe, etc.

In regards to AI changing formations during game, sadly I haven't seen that either yet. Even the subs all seem like it's like for like in terms of forward for forward, midfielder coming in for midfielder, etc.

Found a nifty way to get more injuries!

Basically when a player gets a minor injury in a match i.e. one where he will eventually run it off DONT LET HIM. Substitute him (pretend its worse) and at the end of the match it will register as an injury - my CDM got one of these minor injuries (has a little plaster sign), I substituted him and now he's out for 16 days!

Pretty cool find, although not so cool that it came in my last pre-season friendly so now the powerhouse of my team is out for the season opener!

This doesn't always seem to do the trick though.

I've had a few of my players take those in-match 'knocks' where the bandage sign comes next to their name on team management screen and I've always subbed them, only once was I informed after the match that the player was out for 13 days though. The other times, he was fine.

Ironically enough, it was my 2 players with "Injury-Prone" as their 'special traits' that picked up knocks but recovered and soon were good to go while my main CM (important player) who doesn't have that trait was the one I missed for two weeks as I was informed after the game.

Last edited:
Started a MM with West Brom (want to wait a while before I do one with Arsenal),

Signed Wilshere, Gibbs and Macheda on Loan and bought in Stéphane Mbia for around 6 Million. I also signed Ricardo Fuller with the leftovers right at the end of the window to add some steel up front.

Currently 14th at the end of september after some really hard fixtures, Ironically my only win so far has come away at Everton, otherwise have had lots of draws and got heavily beaten by United and Liverpool. Bad news is that I just got knocked out of the League cup by Ipswich and Wilshere who started brightly and impressed the coaching staff has picked up a 3 month injury!

Need to try to continue to grind out points until January when I must sign a striker capable of scoring week in week out because Fuller has been pretty pants and the youngsters are struggling to score.

Playing fully manual apart from Semi passing on World Class, 8 minute halves, really enjoying myself so far, even if not much new has been added at least there aren't so many outrageous bugs!

Yeah we can talk about the shortcomings of the mode all day long but at the end of the day that won't do no good for now and I'm having a great time and enjoying myself very much so and while there could be SO much more depth, I don't quite agree that this is just like 'tournament' mode + transfers.

I'm now in December, halfway through the season and sitting 4th in a historic season with Charleroi proving all critics and doubters that the early great start was no fluke.

My manager reputation has just increased from half a star to a full-star and mid-way through season, I got an email from the board saying our club's amazing performances haven't gone unnoticed and that my reputation in the footballing world has increased and while that means, other clubs will be more interested in me, they hope I continue to work with them in helping this club onwards and upwards.

Few other things to note:

1. My 25 year old Finnish target-man who has featured ONCE so far this season as a sub has just gone -1 in terms of growth which I find very realistic. This guy hasn't even reached his peak yet but perhaps due to lack of playing time and happiness, he's declined. I got a manager from Assistant manager saying he's struggling and is out of form and has declined and perhaps we should look for a replacement for him next season. Kinda harsh! :D As poor guy is a good player anyway and a 'backup' for me already...

Two of my other players on the other hand who have started nearly ever game this season although not rated as 'high potentia - Give playing time' by Ass man, have both increased +1 in growth while having same status as my big Finnish striker in terms of 'Nothing to report' in terms of potential.

So here are 3 good examples of how 3 players who haven't reached peak and Ass man at start of season rated as 'Nothing to report' (meaning room for improvement but not so much perhaps) have gone separate ways with 2 gaining +1 and one losing a point in overall.

Yeah we can talk about the shortcomings of the mode all day long but at the end of the day that won't do no good for now and I'm having a great time and enjoying myself very much so and while there could be SO much more depth, I don't quite agree that this is just like 'tournament' mode + transfers.

Agree completely, considering it's 4:50am here and I just spent the last 20 minutes awake in bed wishing I was playing Fifa and thus figured "fuck it" and got up, it's obvious the game has something going for it ;)

Would be fun to know:

What tactics do you use?
Which difficulty?
Have you done anything special to make it feel more authentic (changed teams CT's etc.)?

Nottigham Forest
442 playing wide and attacking
Legendary
Bought in couple of Derby players Sold some older players.
I released myself (Be a PRO) to the free agency.
I have all the chants and changed all the stadiums to there correct name for each club (took a while).

Would be fun to know:

What tactics do you use?
Which difficulty?

-Liverpool
-3-5-2
-WC
-Sold a couple of nohopers (although I have quite a few!) and loaned out half the young players for a season
-AI signings include; Aguaro for 32mil to Manu, Evans for 10mil out, Upson to arse, Macheda loaned out, Manu signed Jagielka to replace Evans, can't remember who tham all but it felt feasible. Haven't seen any weird transfers and all seemed pretty decent to me. City had S Cruz as a transferlisted news item.
- Redid all the CT's for the prem teams and assigned them all different stadiums.

It's only a tester CM for now so if I get into it I'll be doing all the top euro teams and their 1st div teams. Add some chants aswell.

Also, oddly enough, after updating the squads the game had a realy good pace again and felt like it was between the demo and pre-patch for speed.

Last edited:
Would be fun to know:

What tactics do you use?
Which difficulty?

Birmingham
4-4-2
World Class
B.Ferguson out
A.Carrol In
Not yet.

I have heard that the team chants etc are great in game, will get around to it sometime.

I have only played my 3 friendlies and 2 league games. I have lost the first 2 league matches.

I did notice that my 1st league game was a 3pm kick off yet it was a night match. Next game to make sure I picked the time of day :)

Enjoying it so far :)

Nick, I turned 'On' that power pass assistance thing in my 'player' mode (that was the problem I guess) and all seems fixed. :) It's weird though. Why does that have so much to do with it? Anyway, now playing as an individual player seems fun again. :)

Just had a Barca vs. Rubin Kazan match being Iniesta for 1st half and Messi for 2nd that was f'n great fun! Everyone moves, acts and plays exactly as they do as well.

Agree completely, considering it's 4:50am here and I just spent the last 20 minutes awake in bed wishing I was playing Fifa and thus figured "fuck it" and got up, it's obvious the game has something going for it ;)

Definitely! Know exactly what you mean.

When I'm not playing my CM mode, I'm thinking about it lol. Planning some moves, tactical changes, etc. I get sudden inspirations lol. The game is great fun.

It's a shame I just found out about the stupid Play-off system in Belgian league now though. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have played in this league. I find play-offs systems like that stupid, what are we facing each team twice for during the actual season then.... pfft... might be my first and last season in Belgium then, if I get a nice offer at end of season, I might move elsewhere... we'll see.

p.s. Is everyone here playing on 'slow' or 'normal' game speed?

p.p.s. Are all Seria A teams licensed now?

Last edited:
@ Shooto,

The time of day issue is probably a stadium limit. Some still onyl have Night or only Day settings which can f#$k it up. I noticed it when I was assigning the stadiums they they still have these limits on a few of them. Hanguk is one, which is assigned to Bolton.

As for the calender issue. It is stupidly slow, however I would expect it to become fast again when the transfer window closes. I'm hoping so anyway!

@ Placebo,

Couldn't find any menu option for the ticker. Have you tried looking at your EA account online? You migh be able to turn stuff off on there as it's all so linked to each other. *goes off to look*

So far I've managed two league matches, and they were ManCity at home and Arsenal away. Prety close to Liverpool's real start this season. Sadly my results are even worse. Lost 1-2 against City and lost 1-0 at Arsenal. I'm hardly creating chances, although I do have a lot of possesion. (WC) I'm not sure if it's the CT Ive already assigned but teams actualyl defend deep now which is nice. I'm reasonbly comfortable on the ball till about halfwya in their half and then I get crowded out, which is good to see. No hustling my CB with 2 strikers. Also my non x-pressing defense is having a hardtime. Especially Carra who seems to be as crap in the game as he now is in real life. Arshavin left him looking like a fool with nearly every one-on-one between them. :D

Last edited:
@ Shooto,

The time of day issue is probably a stadium limit. Some still onyl have Night or only Day settings which can f#$k it up. I noticed it when I was assigning the stadiums they they still have these limits on a few of them. Hanguk is one, which is assigned to Bolton.

As for the calender issue. It is stupidly slow, however I would expect it to become fast again when the transfer window closes. I'm hoping so anyway!

@ Placebo,

Couldn't find any menu option for the ticker. Have you tried looking at your EA account online? You migh be able to turn stuff off on there as it's all so linked to each other. *goes off to look*

It does speed up quite a bit Tik..

I went through and changed all the Stadia to ones with both night and day too...:JAY:

Nick, I turned 'On' that power pass assistance thing in my 'player' mode (that was the problem I guess) and all seems fixed. :) It's weird though. Why does that have so much to do with it? Anyway, now playing as an individual player seems fun again. :)

Just had a Barca vs. Rubin Kazan match being Iniesta for 1st half and Messi for 2nd that was f'n great fun! Everyone moves, acts and plays exactly as they do as well.

Definitely! Know exactly what you mean.

When I'm not playing my CM mode, I'm thinking about it lol. Planning some moves, tactical changes, etc. I get sudden inspirations lol. The game is great fun.

It's a shame I just found out about the stupid Play-off system in Belgian league now though. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have played in this league. I find play-offs systems like that stupid, what are we facing each team twice for during the actual season then.... pfft... might be my first and last season in Belgium then, if I get a nice offer at end of season, I might move elsewhere... we'll see.

p.s. Is everyone here playing on 'slow' or 'normal' game speed?

p.p.s. Are all Seria A teams licensed now?

Cheers for that, seems some see it working and some not?...

I'm playing on normal, I've yet to check slow!.. How are you finding goals, seems there is a lot of complaints the defenders are too sticky and goals are like gold dust...

Nottigham Forest
442 playing wide and attacking
Legendary
Bought in couple of Derby players Sold some older players.
I released myself (Be a PRO) to the free agency.
I have all the chants and changed all the stadiums to there correct name for each club (took a while).

Nice one, how are the chants working in the game, I have yet to add any as they don't carry into a created CM mode, so I'll wot until I'm sacked... :P

I am using the defualt 4-4-2 formation for Aston Villa
Legendary
I am Ashley Young
So far no signings for us, its weird the coach insists on putting Delph right behind Carew.

So far I have played 8 leauge games, and I think we are 12th in the table. But it was until 3 games ago that I found out about the Pro-Passing assistance glitch. Since I changed it, we are 2-1-0 (with 6 goals) granted it was against the likes of Wigan, Stoke, and Blackpool. Stoke was definitely the funnest game. It's awesome to see that Delap has his long throw :)

Also my non x-pressing defense is having a hardtime. Especially Carra who seems to be as crap in the game as he now is in real life. Arshavin left him looking like a fool with nearly every one-on-one between them. :D
It's a fun way to defend, isn't it? I played an exhibition as Arsenal against Barcelona without ever pressing the A (360) button on defence; I was petrified whenever Messi got the ball :SHOCK:. That's how it should be.

@ Placebo,

You mean in EA Football world for example? I hadn't looked there but I will, doubt it'll be in there to be honest, 8/9/10 and other EA games all had the option within the game.

It's a fun way to defend, isn't it? I played an exhibition as Arsenal against Barcelona without ever pressing the A (360) button on defence; I was petrified whenever Messi got the ball :SHOCK:. That's how it should be.

Yeah, you really have to time your jockey vs sprint/barge actions. :D

@ Placebo, Checked it myself but couldn't find anything on the website.

Can't say I know whether the propassing glitch works really. Haven't seen any teams try to play more possesion and can't say Ive noticed less cul-de-sac runs. On WC they are pretty quick to pass it when you close them down.

Ok so quick question, when playing as a Player, does taking control of the whole team every game make any difference to anything at all? Or can I do that without worrying? :P

The AI is utter pants, even after turning that power assist option back on. The amount of times they literally run straight at and right into the opposition players is ridiculous. It's ruining the enjoyment of it for me completely.

Nice one, how are the chants working in the game, I have yet to add any as they don't carry into a created CM mode, so I'll wot until I'm sacked... :P

The chants from the main link in the fifa forums are awesome especially the entrance songs
Hes making a version 4 entrance song zip which willhopefully be released on sunday which will have all his team and be the loudest version so u can hear them better over the comentary and crowd.

There is a bug if your not arsenal you hear the arsenal chants at other grounds but its fixed if you put arsenal to default.
And if you play as arsenal then it wont bother you either way.

Takes a while to do on xbox as you have to make an audio cd to rip to the xbox hardrive as USB only reads save files. Then you have to assign the songs to playlists for each team or scenario.
I added guides from youtube to the audio thread on here fpr the xbox and PS3.

one question please:

does career mode "lock everything down" like the previous FIFA games i.e. if I want to edit stadium names half way through a season, will it change them in career mode as well?

Have played about 15matches so far and have had two injuries. First one was a small knock for a couple of days on J.Cole. Then a few games later he won a penalty but got injured while doing so. Had to sub him and he is now out for 70 days! :D

That's cool. So two injuries and both for Joe Cole though? And no one else injured yet?

Cheers for that, seems some see it working and some not?...

Well I haven't tested this out extensively yet to be able to say it definitely works or not, only a couple matches here and there but yeah from what I've seen so far, that power pass assistance 'On' does at least improve things it seems if not fully rectify the somewhat dumb AI (your team-mates).

I'll have to play more 'Player' matches to be able to confirm this.

I'm playing on normal, I've yet to check slow!.. How are you finding goals, seems there is a lot of complaints the defenders are too sticky and goals are like gold dust...

I've been playing 'normal' so far too as I find the speed quite nice. Notice, I haven't gotten any patches or anything not being connected to online. At least the speed is good when I'm playing with crap teams like my own CM with Charleroi.

Gonna give 'slow' a chance too though in the next few days to see which I prefer.

As for goals and general gameplay, I'm really liking it. I see people moaning about all kinds of things, some say too many header goals! :SHOCK: Some say not enough, etc. etc. For me, the gameplay is very nice and I see different kinds of goals and I actually haven't scored enough header goals.

And crosses into the box I find are harder to defend than ever before. A lot of times your defenders aren't marking the guy very well and good crosses can be quite menacing as in real life. I think I've conceded quite a few goals from them. Gonna have to improve on that.

Last edited:
I've had a good mix of goals so far; headers, tap-ins, placed low inside area goals, some outside of the box crackers.

What I have noticed so far is that goalies are pretty weak at "edge of the box, halfway between the D and the corner of the area" type shots that go towards the opposite top corner. Have scored two of those with semi shooting. I have probably scored about 15-20 goals on WC in 10-15 or so matches. A lot have been 1, or 2 goal games and had a couple of routs aswell.

One thing I want to know guys, and been wanting to know since before game was released and Nick met up with Marcel and Co. and still don't have an answer to as I haven't played enough 'player' mode is, SURELY, I HOPE, your manager buys/transfers/sells other players right?

Because if you're not 'manager' and just a 'single' player, it doesn't make sense that the AI doesn't change the team even after 10 years, playing the same team.

Can anyone confirm that your team does buy/sell players in 'Player' mode?

-------------------------------

In regards to goals, one thing I will say and I don't like is that now I can't score 'chip' goals it seems. It's weird, FIFA10 that was by far easiest way to score and now in this one, it seems like the riskiest and hardest so when you get that one break-through chance in match, I don't even go for it, I try to round keeper if I'm all alone or side-foot finesse shot into corner usually if not so.

One thing I want to know guys, and been wanting to know since before game was released and Nick met up with Marcel and Co. and still don't have an answer to as I haven't played enough 'player' mode is, SURELY, I HOPE, your manager buys/transfers/sells other players right?

Because if you're not 'manager' and just a 'single' player, it doesn't make sense that the AI doesn't change the team even after 10 years, playing the same team.

Can anyone confirm that your team does buy/sell players in 'Player' mode?

-------------------------------

In regards to goals, one thing I will say and I don't like is that now I can't score 'chip' goals it seems. It's weird, FIFA10 that was by far easiest way to score and now in this one, it seems like the riskiest and hardest so when you get that one break-through chance in match, I don't even go for it, I try to round keeper if I'm all alone or side-foot finesse shot into corner usually if not so.

Oh so you wanna be like Torres and moan that the club needs to improve the squad! :P

Re chipgoals, thank god. Chips should only be attempted when you are 3-0 up! You could also try the lob pass. Tried it earlier in a friendly, kuyt was just past the last defender (about 30 yrds out) and I saw the goalie off his line. Attempted the lob and it went just over the bar with the goalie desperately trying to get a hand to it. :D Not sure if it will turn out to be an easy goal with practice, but it felt very much like a timing and skill issue and not a cheap "goal".

Back
Top Bottom