FIFA 11 Career Mode Thread PS3/360

Yes, if the club isn't improving to match my ambitions then I will have to move elsewhere. :P

Nah but seriously just cause it gets really boring playing with the SAME team-mates where as in real life, some will come, some will go, some will stay and so you have to get to know new players, build chemistry.... find out about their tendencies and they bring something new to the team, etc.

One reason I always moved clubs in previous BAP mode pretty much ever season WAS the lack of transfers. Because that was the only way of experiencing something 'new'. It's bad enough if you stay at a club, you're going through same fixtures again and again... but if at least the internal environment has changed, it makes it feel fresh in a way.

Regarding chip goals, I'm very glad they fixed it so it's not so easy to do anymore. In FIFA10 it was ridiculous, that's why 70% of time you'd go for the chip seeing as how easy it was. FIFAWC And FIFA11 have kinda gone the other way though it seems where as now it maybe be close to impossible? I don't feel the balance is right now either... though I may change my opinion as I still haven't played the game enough but I'll still take this over FIFA10.

Would be fun to know:

What team are you playing with in CM?
What tactics do you use?
Which difficulty?
Have you made any transfers, in or out?
Have you done anything special to make it feel more authentic (changed teams CT's etc.)?

Ipswich Town
4-3-3/4-5-1
World Class
In: Kevin Phillips, 1m. Jeffrey Bruma - loan. Out: Tamas Priskin, 1.5m.
Added chants for all Premier League and Championship teams.

Last edited:
Found a nifty way to get more injuries!

Basically when a player gets a minor injury in a match i.e. one where he will eventually run it off DONT LET HIM. Substitute him (pretend its worse) and at the end of the match it will register as an injury - my CDM got one of these minor injuries (has a little plaster sign), I substituted him and now he's out for 16 days!

Pretty cool find, although not so cool that it came in my last pre-season friendly so now the powerhouse of my team is out for the season opener!

Just had Tudgay out for 29 days doing this, result!

Anyone know how lenient the board are on your season objectives, or does it depend on their difficulty?

I'm playing as Spurs and my objective is to finish in the top 4. That isn't going to happen (looks like I'll finish about 6th) so now I'm worried I'll be sacked! I have won the league cup, although I guess that isn't much to shout about :P I can't remember what difficulty I set the board at either.

I am wondering about your team making any tranfer options in player mode. So far I have started 3 different sessions, and my management has yet to make any tranfers... I am gonna wait and see what happens in the January transfer window, and then lastly in next years transfer window.

I will be very upset if there aren't any changes made... like someone else said, it would be nice if you could play with new players every once in awhile.

Keep us updated dude.

I'd be f'n PISSED off if there were no transfers as well as that'd make no sense but am staying optimistic until someone bursts our bubble and confirms they are not in! :ANX:

They didn't make any transfers in BAP mode in 09 or 10, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's not in 11. Rubbish though.

some CM clips;

D-pad dribble/shimmy:
http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/39726132

Congested midfield passing:
http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/39726165

Torres skill and goal:
http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/39744258

Goalie "rounded":
http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/39744433

Some of the games have been quite a slug. What was good though in my last game against WBA was that in the last 15-20min. they really started to tire. I was 1-0 and then in the last 10 min. I ripped them apart and scored another 3. Made the War of Attrition in midfield/defense from the previous 80min. feel worthwhile...

Started my Career Mode on World Class. Bought Neymar and Lass Diarra. Sold Keane, Jenas, Naughton and O'Hara.

Haven't played any competitive games yet but played 3 friendlies. Drew 1-1 with Parma, Neymar scoring a brilliant goal from outside the box after controlling an outswinging cross by Bale, turning and firing into the corner. Got an Achievement for that. Then won my second friendly 2-1, with two Achievement's for me after a Crouch header from a brilliant cross from Bale. Then won the last friendly 1-0, Neymar again. Enjoying it, and having increased the volume of the chants, I don't have to turn down the other levels to hear them. The intro and final whistle song (Glory Glory in particular) was superb after a victory :COOL:

Commentary can be a little dumb at times - again. I hit a fizzing left foot shot from van der Vaart which went wide, and Martin Tyler said he's not so good on his weaker foot. Yeah, ok. Then Modric smashed a 30 yarder just wide and Andy Gray said he thought the player must have been on drugs as the shot was nowhere near!

Meh.

Good stuff, so far, though. I've done the chants and Intro's for most Premiership clubs now, and also editing a few teams custom tactics so they aren't all pressure and aggression, making things a little easier to breathe.

They didn't make any transfers in BAP mode in 09 or 10, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's not in 11. Rubbish though.

Yeah but that was before the two modes were emerged and BAP becoming 15 seasons now!

I mean can you imagine if the AI didn't transfer players?! They'd keep the same squad for 15 years ?? Plus a few youngster additions that generate every season? That wouldn't make much sense.

What team are you playing with in CM?
What tactics do you use?
Which difficulty?
Have you made any transfers, in or out?
Have you done anything special to make it feel more authentic (changed teams CT's etc.)?
Aston Villa, as Manager.
4-4-1-1 at the moment. I think that's the default for Villa if you download the latest squads.
Legendary for both gameplay and board.
I sold Osbourne (a 22yr old midfielder who isn't likely to 'make it') and loaned out a couple of young players (Collins & Herd) for the season.
Tons of Custom Audio assigned all over the place, including Chants and Entrance music for Villa.

The board want a top 4 finish! Ouch.

Heskey was injured in my second pre-season game and is out for 45 days :)

Oof, looks like I've got my work cut out. Lost at home to Liverpool and then away at Goodison Park in a tough start to the season. Need to find a way to tighten up at the back quick sharp!

The Everton game was engrossing. I started Reo-Coker in midfield to add extra bite, anticipating a battle, and began with a defensive mentality, but it wasn't enough to get to grips with the energy and movement of Saha, Cahill, Pienaar and in particular Leon Osman. Friedel managed to save an Arteta penalty, and I beat Howard with an Ashley Young free-kick, but ultimately Everton deserved their win.

Might have to try playing more narrow and compact in the next game, maybe switch Petrov/Reo-Coker from CM to CDM for a bit of extra protection. Marc Albrighton has struggled to make an impact so far, too.

I've adjusted my none X tackle style to only use it in the area. The attackers are so nimble that you just can't keep up with jockey alone.

Also had a ridiculously tough start to my season;

City H
Arsenal A
Chelsea H
Everton? A

It's like real life...

Do custom tactics visibly work? I'm hearing they do then that they don't.
Currently playing as Celtic with my VP as a CAM, starting 11 right away.
I've lost one game on World Class and given up 5 goals in over ten games.
I want to get the teams to be a bit more varied. It doesn't feel like the cpu ever shoots.

I've found them less noticable then in 10.

I've go so far as to set up the most defensive formation and system possible with the most extreme longball settings and yet it still doesn't feel much different. What does change is the level of pressure and how high up they start. That's probably the biggest effects CT's have.

I'm quite dissapointed, I mentioned it in another thread, but I think the new defensive AI is overriding a lot of what you can do in CT's and how effective they are.

Update from my MM with W.B.A: (World class, manual shooting, semi passing, 8 min halves)

Reached the January transfer window in 9th so doing well against my board objective of mid table. Making strides in the FA Cup which I was pleased to see resulted in the board giving me a couple of extra thousand £££ to help strengthen the side.

Over the past few months my side had really started to gel with Odemwingie, Macheda and Wilshere forming an attacking trio that between them were starting to score regularly. Defensively Carson, Scharner and Tamas are all rocks and my summer signing of M'bia has been incredible, regularly getting man of the match for his CDM duties.

Still looking at my goal difference whilst not conceding too many I still had scored far fewer than those around me - so I decided to focus entirely on adding 1 or 2 quality strikers. I sold and loaned a few squad members that were surplus requirement. My first signing was Rogelio Gabriel Funes Mori - £6.7M from River plate, a 19 year old 6'1" striker with both the poacher and clinical finisher accolades. As the deadline approached and I raised more funds I made a late bid for John Carew and whilst Aston Villa accepted my £8M offer I could not agree personal terms before the deadline!

As an Arsenal fan I find this quite realistic and frustrating in a good way,

So now my plan is to try and make a late blitz on the Europa league spots with my new signing (who has just scored a brace on his debut in the F.A Cup I might add) but if he struggles to adapt to the Premier League (he isn't particularly strong) I think I might regret not getting that deal for Carew done in time!

P.s. Ricardo Fuller has been absolutely atrocious and so doesn't even make the bench - whoooops

So after playing a fair bit more and forcing myself to look past some of the glaring issues this game currently has I find myself enjoying this more and more as time goes on. I expect a patch to be released soon to fix most of the bugs and glitches, but gameplay-wise I might have been a bit quick to judge the game. Anyways now that I'm used to the new game (and new console as well) I decided it's time to start up a proper Career Mode. I felt it was time to break away from my yearly routine to start two at once, using Utrecht on one and Arsenal on the other.

So into Exhibition Mode I went, looking for a fresh challenge. I wanted to start at a club I knew nothing about, in a league I hadn't played in before. My roommate and I are currently playing in Germany so the Bundesliga was removed from the list. Italy and Spain would be logical choices to explore but a lack of licenses in the former and the appearance of reserve teams in the latter made me prefer some place else. England's been done to death already and so I ended up in France. I browsed through the Ligue 2 times and in the end I made my choice, ending up at Tours FC. After missing from the top flight since the mid-eighties (yay for Google) I thought it'd be a nice long-term challenge to make them into a big club, focusing on smart transfer dealings and making full use of French academy players.

I'll be looking to assign correct stadiums to all the French teams first, and after that I'll analyze the squad and get going! It's been a long time since I've been so enthousiastic about a Career Mode/Manager Mode/Master League. I'll be playing 8 minute halves with manual controls on Legendary difficulty setting, should be a good challenge I reckon.

I've got another Career Mode on the go as the manager of Manchester United. So far it's gone pretty decent.

Blackburn (H) 4-0
Villa (A) 1-2
Blackpool (H) 5-0
Wigan (A) 0-2
Stoke (H) 1-2
Newcastle (H, Carling Cup) 1-0

Then a shock as Fulham beat us 2-0 at Craven Cottage. Next game is against Wolves at home, who are currently 15th after 6 games. Liverpool are top on goal difference, whereas Spurs, Arsenal, Man City and Fulham are 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th respectively. Top goalscorer so far is Joe Cole with 5 goals, followed by David Silva, Darren Bent, Andy Carroll and Jerome all on 4.

During pre season I went ahead and put in a bid for Esteban Cambiasso, who was on the transfer list. Inter accepted and he signed for around 14mill. I also loaned out Bebe for the season to Konyaspor. I'm thinking of selling Carrick in January as I now have Fletcher, Scholes, Cambiasso, Hargreaves, Anderson, Giggs, and Gibson who can play in the centre of midfield.

Only one problem so far, it seems whenever a goal goes in, for or against, the game freezes for about 2 seconds. It's getting quite annoying, as thankfully it hasn't been freezing during play, only when a goal goes in.

Only one problem so far, it seems whenever a goal goes in, for or against, the game freezes for about 2 seconds. It's getting quite annoying, as thankfully it hasn't been freezing during play, only when a goal goes in.
Custom Audio, by any chance? I had this temporary freeze if I put Custom Audio in for that team's other categories (chants etc) but nothing (Default) for goal music. It would pause as if looking for custom audio files and finding none, because there weren't any to find!

I created a 'Goal' playlist containing only one mp3, which was 1 second of silence. It stopped freezing after I assigned that playlist.

Just curious what everyone is setting for their half length? While still getting realistic stats.

Right now I am at 8 minutes, which seems to be decent stat wise. I have also tried both 10 and 9, but I feel 8 minutes feels just about right.

Custom Audio, by any chance? I had this temporary freeze if I put Custom Audio in for that team's other categories (chants etc) but nothing (Default) for goal music. It would pause as if looking for custom audio files and finding none, because there weren't any to find!

I created a 'Goal' playlist containing only one mp3, which was 1 second of silence. It stopped freezing after I assigned that playlist.

Yeah, it has been happening ever since I put Custom Audio in actually.

Last edited:
Been playing some online games since i got it the other day. I feel you have to play some propper football now to create chances and im getting alot more fun with this then fifa 10. Just about to go start up a manager mode (Career). Not too sure on which team, i fancy a challenge :p

just a quick question - but when playing as your VP in career mode - are you always the captain straight away? or does it depend on which team you are?

I went in to one with Bristol city and was captain and in the 1st team straight away - i thought you built up to that??

I'm thinking about starting a new CM. I'm currently in fourth with Celtic, one loss, but quite a few draws. I'm still searching for a way to get scored on, just doesn't seem to happen enough.

Also I've noticed if the CPU does a standing tackle outside the box you're fine. If they do it just outside or inside you fall over.

I am really liking the game though, I feel like I can be pretty crearive in midfield playing as my VP.

Haven't noticed any new players coming in though (VP only), I saw players on loan/sold however.

just a quick question - but when playing as your VP in career mode - are you always the captain straight away? or does it depend on which team you are?

I went in to one with Bristol city and was captain and in the 1st team straight away - i thought you built up to that??

I wasn't captain at Celtic, still not captain either. I did get in the starting 11 immediately though.
I assume it depends on stats an the team you play for.

Back
Top Bottom