Champions League 2012/13

for Aboutreika,

the official statement on bayern's website

For the most important game of the season so far, Heynckes said he would be “picking from a full squad”. Dante is still suffering a slight cold but took part in the evening training session at Camp Nou. The one probable change compared to the first leg will be up front, with Mario Mandzukic set to return from suspension in place of Mario Gomez. “We’ll field our best-available team,” said Heynckes.

Six Bayern players are only one yellow card away from suspension and the agony of missing out on a possible final appearance, “but I’ll make no concessions at all,” the coach declared. Rummenigge called on the players “to be smart and intelligent, and steer well clear of yellow cards.”

Sometimes a team playing without its stars are more motivated, as the players filling in have something to prove.

Milan 94' won with many important starters suspended/out.

It annoys me how many great players miss finals because of this silly rule. Nedved in 2003 still grates me to this day.

Sometimes a team playing without its stars are more motivated, as the players filling in have something to prove.

Milan 94' won with many important starters suspended/out.
talking about milan players' motivation in the '94 final, cruyff bitching for the entire week before the game (about that milan being a "small time team" and his barça team being clear favourites) probably also fired up the rossoneri quite a bit. :P
man, what an ass cruyff is. people often compare him to mourinho because of their attitude, but i disagree with that.
mourinho's bravado can get obnoxious every now and then, and sometimes he does cross the line, but in most cases, his attitude does help his teams. cruyff's instead is just sheer arrogance.
amazing player and also a pretty decent coach, but what a boring, stupid man.

as for our topic of conversation, i always felt it would be better to erase all yellow cards after the semi-finals. once 2 teams reach the final, u just want them to face each other at their best. :))

Last edited:
Yes erase cards after the semi's i agree (except for red cards ???).

I don't agree on Cruijff. What he did before that final was stupid, but Cruijff is not stupid. Cruijff is a child of his country and of the time when he became a big player. At the time Amsterdam was the rebel capital of Europe and this in a country that (at the time) saw itself as Europe's consience...the way Cruijff often behaves is a result of all that.

The strange thing is that Cruijff pretends to know better all the time, but also that he often really knows. I've heard a story from a Dutch journalist. Both he and Cruijff went together to an Eastern Europe capital (i believe it was Warszawa, but i'm not sure). From the aeroport they both took a taxi to their hotel in the centre of the city. After a few minutes Cruijff suddenly started giving directions to the taxi driver and the journalist felt embarassed, the ceek to give directions to a taxi driver. Later it transpired that Cruijff effectively was write and that he knew a shorter and quicker route to the hotel...

Ben, i love Cruijff and believe me or not, i also really like Mourinho (more as a person than as a coach, but he is a great motivator).

But both Cruijff and Mourinho tend to do stupid things, this is often the case with strong opiniated and straightforward people.

I don't agree on Cruijff. What he did before that final was stupid, but Cruijff is not stupid. Cruijff is a child of his country and of the time when he became a big player. At the time Amsterdam was the rebel capital of Europe and this in a country that (at the time) saw itself as Europe's consience...the way Cruijff often behaves is a result of all that.
that's a brilliant observation! i never considered that, but now that i think of it, it makes perfect sense.
still, we could say this about everyone. we're all the product of our background, but that shouldn't be an excuse for what we become.
besides cruyff travelled a lot in his life. experiencing life in other countries is a very "carachter-building" and humbling experience... yet he seems impervious to any sort of growth or "personal improvement", despite all the experiences he lived in his life. people change, grow, evolve, mature.... he talks exactly as he talked 20 years ago... he's the exact same person he's always been. and that is just sad.
Gerd said:
The strange thing is that Cruijff pretends to know better all the time, but also that he often really knows. I've heard a story from a Dutch journalist....
"being always right" doesn't impress me. some of the most intelligent persons i've met were wrong most of the times. :P
what annoys me about cruyff is that he always deals in absolutes. when u listen to him u realise there are always only 2 ways for him; the right way and the wrong way. he never seems to have a doubt about anything.... and in my experience, people with no doubts are boring, uninspiring, and ultimately not intelligent.

and amazingly his experience as a coach perfectly reflected this aspect of his persona, as opposed to mourinho, who talks like an arrogant, acts like an arrogant, but coaches like the most humble of men. that's why i believe they couldn't be more different from each others.
anyway, my apologies for this small detour .... back on topic:
Gerd said:
Yes erase cards after the semi's i agree (except for red cards ???).
yep, that's exactly my idea.

Last edited:
The chances to come back were scarce, but with messi on the bench it's just not possible. We all knew he wasnt fit at all but it's a pitty he couldnt play any of the matches properly, because with him at his peak I think the whole round would have been so different. A close win would be good enough today considering the long list of injuries we have, practically 5 starters.

If this Bayern doesn't win the cup, i'll stop watching football and no this is not a joke.

I said the same (considering Champions League football) last year after that freak loss in the final ... I'm kinda scared it'll happen again but I guess at this point I'm just too addicted to ever stop watching this sport. :/

as neutral i would love both BVB and Bayern win it... i will feel sorry for the team who loses final, becouse i was entertained by both teams during this cl... amazing stuff and deserved final for both...i though competition this season... maybe Dortmund faced stronger Real than ever and Bayern are a force...

All I have to say is Bayern couldn`t beat Arsenal :P and their home fans applaud Arsenal players off the pitch! :WORSHIP:

I applaud Bayern :WORSHIP: they demantle Barca home 7 away.

Take this as you will:

Thank you Bayern for showing the world this Barca team isn't anywhere near invincible. Pass the ball to death style. I hated it when talented teams played them and opted to sit back.

They're humans just as you are; mere mortals. They're not Gods. You are talented enough to go at them and show what you got. They're not better than you. Believe in yourself.

Thank you Bayern :)

And yes, think I've said this before, but I much preferred Ronaldinho's team to this.

Barca the best team in the world:

Bayern 7-0 Barca.

Says it all.

Oh, by the way: No yellow cards! Unless injuries riddle their ranks in the coming weeks, both Bayern and Dortmund will be able to send their best squads into the final. That's already a win for every fan as well as neutral, I believe.

actually you don't even need to go that far back. the team with yaya toure, henry and eto'o was the greatest team I've ever watched and besides, they were a real joy to watch as well.

Great match, nice football, very happy to see Bayern in the final. Third final in four years, it's time to win it for the first time since 2001!

And by the way: This does automatically mean the first international title for a German club team and the NT since 2001, which is a good sign. I am just hoping, Wembley will have the same atmosphere that every DFB-Pokal-final in Berlin has.

And I have no doubt that if there's a team that can beat Bayern, it's the BVB. Sadly for the BVB fans this won't happen. :RSCARF:

actually you don't even need to go that far back. the team with yaya toure, henry and eto'o was the greatest team I've ever watched and besides, they were a real joy to watch as well.
The Treble winning side had much more variety and actually defended well and gave Messi some support rather than relying on him every time.

Wow! What a humbling night for Barcelona. They got completely undone by the sheer directness of Bayern.

Could this be the death of tikki takka footie? :P

this was a fucking gang-rape, there is no other word to describe this tie, 7-0 lol but it would be mad funny if Bayern choke again and don't win the final.
also i thought it was cute that the Bayern fans were singing footballs coming home

Last edited:
there's no such thing ..
this shitty-taka was just some easy passes in the middle so Messi can rest some minutes, then they give him the ball to do the job ..

do you hate barca mate? becouse it wasn´t like you just described..have some respect..Barca players have nothing to prove to anyoene, they won everything that´s possible, and not just once..and the tikki whatever was a style that revolutionised football after long time again..

do you hate barca mate? becouse it wasn´t like you just described..have some respect..Barca players have nothing to prove to anyoene, they won everything that´s possible, and not just once..and the tikki whatever was a style that revolutionised football after long time again..

take it easy pipa :D
why so serious?

Methinks Messi needs to forget being a striker and go back to being an inside forward on the right and they need to get a proper striker in of the ilk of Eto'o.

That'll give them flexibility again because defenders won't know who to mark and there'll be more than one decent goalscorer.

They've never been as frightening as they were in 08/09 with Messi, Eto'o and Henry all providing the goals.

Back
Top Bottom