Burnout Paradise - PS3, 360 and PC

Re: Burnout Paradise - PS3, 360

Yes its got ato save, I was wrong about the online challenges I think.

Got it today, played an hour and really like it! Wasnt sure about the open world element, and am still a bit disorientated when it comes to seeing which races youve already done. Havent been able to find out were I can check that, so if anyone can give me a hint it would be welcomed.

The open world element for the racing side has both its positives and negatives, the positive is that you can go anywhere and for the road rage and manhunt elements its fine. For races it can go either way, a positive is that you choose the route, the negative is that it means you can end up being "out" of the race as the ai cars are taking a different route. However the positive of that is the "coming together" part nearer the end of the race. Ive had it a couple of times now that Ive taken a different route and was just focused on not crashing and near the end youll see your location and the opponents icons coming closer and closer towards a crossing and I found it really exciting to see if you would crash or manage to squeeze through without crashing and then continue the final part of the race frantically trying to reach the finishline. Ive also had one race were I took a wrong turn and ended up finishing from the opposite side to the AI and coming close to a head-on collision to see who would finish first. Really good.

I think that gives it a nice balance, the race sections are especially focused on getting to location X the quickest and less so on "sabotaging" the opponents with takedowns (although they work nicely if you stick with the pack) whereas the other types (manhunt/rage) are all about that and it doest matter which route you take. Had one moment where I managed to out jump an opponent over an open bridge, I managed to reach the otherside, he crashed into the river in full view.

So the only worry I have atm is being able to view which races Ive already completed as Ive noticed that Ive already done the same race twice now, the second time I didnt bother finish it but that does leave a bit of "useless" wandering in the game that was also very much a part of GTA. However GTA had some more stuff to do.

Graphics and stuff are all really good.

Apparantly I've played it 1hr 24mins, and in that time I'm really enjoying it! I love the manhunt mode where you're trying to stay alive, VERY tense! I agree about the races, so many times I've went off on my own and ended up on some random road heading nowhere :lol: It can get confusing when you're driving so fast trying to concentrate on the road, whilst looking at turnings and the map trying to plan a route :)

I didn't expect to like the open-world stuff but it is fun looking for garages/gates/billboards to smash.

Tik, I think the DJ said that when races are completed, they're left open so you can do it again in order to use the race later for a different licence. Good and bad really. It's good if you get to know the race well and can finish it easily, but bad if you keep doing the same race by accident.

Songs are okay, that Avril Lavigne song will be getting turned off though.

Is there a way to set a waypoint marker on the map?

I just think its so annoying having to find a race, instead of being able to select it on the map. And having to find your own way through a race is just rubbish until you actually know the map inside out.

Also, I'm so used to Super Class cars in Burnout 3 that I cannot stand driving in the early ones.

I also hate using the triggers for accelerating and braking, and then not being able to switch it to the classic A,O,X,D button format. Plus using the analogue stick means its much harder to judge your position when youre going for near misses.

Oh and I currently cannot go more than a minute without crashing into something.

I hate criticising this, cause I really wanna like it. But I don't at this moment in time.

Tik, I think the DJ said that when races are completed, they're left open so you can do it again in order to use the race later for a different licence. Good and bad really. It's good if you get to know the race well and can finish it easily, but bad if you keep doing the same race by accident.

Yeah I know, was just looking through the pauze menu's and stuff to see if I had atleast already done it for my present license. Couldnt find any info though.

And having to find your own way through a race is just rubbish until you actually know the map inside out.

I was expecting that, however Ive actually really liked ending up going "wrong" and then finding my way back and rejoining the group at intersections and stuff. The game helps you by putting on your indicator to say which way to go.

A negative is that it doesnt seem to be to "user" friendly on the whole. Havent been able to find the races done for example, also havent seen any control scheme changing, only two camera's, the map is a bit dodgy from what I could tell (when you let go of the "browse" stick it shoots straight back to the marker) and there are probably some more of those small elements. They are only small, but in the same way they would have been easy to get right.

Aw Dags, why did you leave the game? I was really enjoying that!

I was putting challenges on so I could work my way through them and get some achievements, I think you understood that but the dickheads who joined when I made the match public where happy to just ram eachother in freeburn. :roll:

I didn't leave, I lost the connection to the EA servers :( Some funny races there mate, really enjoyed it :D

Wow. I can't remember the last time I spent so long on a game non-stop! Turned BP on just after the Liverpool game and I've only just turned it off! Over eight hours non-stop, pretty impressive by my standards :)

The online challenges are brilliant. When I first loaded the game and started single-player, everywhere looked the same. But for most of the time playing today, I've been either in a game with Jack, or after that I joined a random game and joined in with two American guys and a girl from Leeds. We all went around doing the challenges, jumping off various ramps and having a chat and banter etc, absoloutly top stuff :)

Though saying that, I'm sure I must've pissed them off a bit as they all did this one jump straight away and I just couldn't get it down, must've taken me like 30 mins or so in the end :( Still, they didn't act like the usual tits you meet on XBL and throw insults, instead offering me advice and showing me the quickest route to get back to the start.

Gotta say BP is one of the best online experiences I've had, didn't even notice the time ticking by. And to think I've only done 42 of the 350 challenges for four players, I've got a LOOOONG way to go yet :D

I'll try to some single-player first mate, want to unlock a few more cars I think. After that, I'll give you a shout. I've just seen one of your mugshots I got sent for a photo-finish, you look pretty scary :lol:

So they're saying CoD4 is worth £30 trade-in? Pretty good, you can get it brand new, collectors edition too, from Amazon for £35. Unfortunately my CoD4 is an Australian copy and I can't trade it in :(

I have seen pre-owned US DS games in gamestation so they should accept an australian Pal copy.

The Watson R Turbo is great for barrel rolls.

Going to try get this tomorrow people

Fifa is doing my head in atm

It really is fantastic, I can't praise it enough. Just such an easy and fun game to play, the cars handle really well and you keep unlocking new stuff. I was just driving around and smashed up this random car it unlocked some swish Japanese car for me. It's £40 in Virgin / Zaavi (pretty much the cheapest I've seen it), and it's def worth that.

I'll be up for a burnout session with you guys, invite me in if you see me online :)

Well I just ordered Asian version as I cancelled my DMC4 360 pre-order and need a new game. Should have this thursday/friday. I will look for you all online.

So has anyone managed to find out how you can find out which races you've done for the current license? The manual doesnt say anything. Was watching the GF play it yesterday, that was amusing in itself :D

I am still not sure what game you guys are playing. I had a go on this yesterday at a mates house on 360 and besides a few nice little touches (like the license idea) the game still bored me to death and I asked him to switch it off after 5 mins of playing it.

I am still not sure what game you guys are playing. I had a go on this yesterday at a mates house on 360 and besides a few nice little touches (like the license idea) the game still bored me to death and I asked him to switch it off after 5 mins of playing it.

Nothing like giving the game a chance is there! :lol:

Nothing like giving the game a chance is there! :lol:
Ok 5 mins is an UNDER-Estimation I probably played it for longer than that but still got bored. Perhaps there are things you guys are finding that I didnt find? All I did was Race, trade paint, crash, flip, roll drive the wrong side of the road, build up boost, crash crash crash crash crash flip roll crash.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The secret is ... not to crash ;) Once you get used to your car and the speed, you will still crash, but you'll be able to navigate around LOTS better.

Try other modes, Marked Man is fun, Road Rage is brilliant and stunts are great too. I just found out about Showtime mode last night, quality :D

It's all about racing online DJ, when you're fighting against other cars, trying to SMASH them off the road so that you can win the race, it's incredibly satisfying. My favourite is when you're pushing the other car into an oncoming vehicle, and they're desperately trying to push you away but you've got the stronger car. SMASH, they're gone.

It's one of the few games that has me swearing like a trooper, when you smash them into a parked car and you finish first - there is no better feeling in a 360 game, "FUCK YEAH, YOU MOTHERFUCKER, WHO'S YOUR DADDY".

And the same is true when you're 20ft from the finish line and they smash you from a sideroad you didn't know existed. "YOU BASTARD, I'LL FUCKING SMASH YOU UP IN THE NEXT RACE".

This is why I never use the headset in games, I either say nothing or I come across as American (with a weird accent). :mryellow:

FIFA is my favourite 360 sports game of all-time, Burnout is my favourite 360 FUN game of all time. It doesn't get any better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom