Sony PlayStation 3

Re: PlayStation 3 - Official Thread (Design, Screens, Videos)

Sounds like the online play is going to be dire like on the PS2. Sony should realise that the future is online gaming, and they should do what Microsoft have done and put some real effort and energy into their online, rather than not giving a toss and just letting the publishers handle the online. I'd rather pay 40 quid a year for a decent online service then pay nothing for a sub-standard one.

Alarming news for would-be PS3 buyers living in Europe.

Howard Stinger, the new Sony chief, Has revealed pretty much when the machine is gonna be released in an interview with some Hollywood magazine. In a long interview discussing many of Sonys assets, the most important line imo was this:

Howard Stinger said:
"The company soon will unveil a line of compact, portable video devices to fill the time gap before PlayStation 3 launches in Japan in March and in the US a year from now."

WTF!!!!!!!!!!

US a year from now?! next November?! meaning Microsoft have a full year headstart in the US, and even more in Europe! I mean, obviously the PS3 will launch over here last, so are we looking at 2007?!

Really am stunned :(

fuck... That's quite a blow... :\ I will only be able to play MGS in 2007? WTF?!

If that's the case Sony might aswell forget the US market exists even more europe, as we seem the be always last.

Maybe they think PS2 will kick X360 ass like they did with the N64 with PS1. lol?

yeh I think you're right in a way.

Sony definately think the PS2, or perhaps more appropriately PSP, will prove a strong enough battle for the 360.

Retail-wise, they have a good chance of doing that tbh. With a decent enough price drop the PS2 could sell really well in its final year.

Saying that, whats the point of believing the PS2 will do well when they release PS3 in Japan so much earlier before everywhere else?!

I was really hoping for a world wide launch after Microsoft achieved it. If not that then a summer/autumn european release at the latest. The prospect of having to wait until 2007 is very upsetting.

The 360 is gonna have a huuuuuuuuuge advantage over PS3 in US & Europe now.

Look at it in a positive light, it means a lot of people who were going to buy one or the other now might be able to buy both consoles. I think one next-gen console will do me for a year!

ClassicD said:
Look at it in a positive light, it means a lot of people who were going to buy one or the other now might be able to buy both consoles. I think one next-gen console will do me for a year!

I can get my revolution!

YAY!

Sony can go to hell!

PES 360 all the way now

Yeah, bollocks to that! I went ahead and bought a 360 on eBay yesterday when I saw the dang timeline for hte PS2 release. Sony are being too arrogant. They'll be millions upon millions of happy 360 gamers by the time the PS3 is released.

Given it took almost 5 years for programmers to get the PS2 to reach it's potential, they'll be no point getting a PS3 even if it does end up being more powerful than the 360 because it'll take years before any software can be written which even begins to tap into it.

Screw Sony. I'll just enjoy my 360.

Come on guys. All this shit is about business. That is the reason for all this crap.

Ok, I was the bearer of really REALLY bad news yesterday, but now Ive got some POTENTIALLY awesome news.

I say potentially because the forthcoming news has been 'leaked' by (takes a breath) Sony's Managing Director of Computer Entertainment Australia, Michael Ephraim (phew!)

The big news???

THE PS3 IS SET TO BE REGION FREE!!!!!!!!!!

chatting to Australian IT (dunno if its a mag or show) he said Sony are gonna ditch region coding, due to something to do with HD tvs.

This is great news, as it means I can pick up a Japanese machine from my mate safe in the knowledge it will play UK games :)

btw, anyone thinking of importing one let me know, my bro-in-law imports machines. Much cheaper than buying from an importer :)

If that's the case it's fantastic, it means we can play the latest WE releases.

thank you for some proof Thomas :)

so happy you wont believe :) :) :)

Nice! Wopee! Mm... can I afford a japenese PS3.

This is the best news I've heard for ages :mrgreen:

and ppl didnt believe me when i said there mite not be region coding! :p

Wow, calm down folks, it's hardly a 100% confirmed feature. People have been misquoted or simply found to be talking nonsense before, even execs, so don't go thinking it's all done and dusted!

"there's a good likelihood"

I'd like to remind people that the XB wasnt as such region coded, it was left to the games publishers to decide whether or not they region coded the games, so I can see the same happening with Sony. Ubisoft it one of the developers who left their games region free, although I'm not sure about any other publishers.

so WTF (why the f**k) does konami region code thier games as in we/pes thats just poo!!!!:mad: :roll:
on topic: still dont think konami will not region code we/pes for ps3 and xbox360 dont know why but i've just got this crazy chill down my spine....(might be coz i broke my brov's controller while playing pes5 "by mistake") :-\" :-D

Normally, the console with the best games support wins out. The Dreamcast didn't have a lot of key support, notably EA, which majorly messed up it's chances in Europe and the USA. Sonic couldn't float a whole franchise for a second time just as Mario couldn't do the job with the Gamecube. The PS2 hit at the right time, major backing from software houses, a huge budget from one of the biggest names in generic electronics (SEGA outside of games consoles and video arcade machines are nothing) and a system that looked good, had fantastic controllers (they got it right with the PS1 design and years later, the same controller design is pretty much intact with the PS2) and was priced pretty reasonably for a new console.

The PS2 was always going to be a success following the PS1. It had no major rival (the Gamecube had too little support). The XBox has done well considering what it was up against and yes, MS lost money on every console they sold but they can afford to do that, something Nintendo and SEGA never could. MS can still afford to do that with the 360. Having what amounts to almost a year advantage in sales is a big, big thing nowadays. The 360 has major games support and who cares if the launch day titles aren't mind-blowing? Almost every machine is already sold out so by the time you can walk into a store to buy one without elbowing some 9 year old kid in the throat to reach the box first the number of titles out will be very large. Look at the list that is supposed to be ready by the Spring. Everybody knows Halo 3 will be great, Project Gotham looks unbelievable and the next WE/PES will be out on the 360 before the Western world even sees a PS3 in the stores.

Sony have screwed up making the launch quite so late especially given there was no reason to do so. I think MS's original plans to launch next year but really in secret they were pushing for a late 2005 release blindsided Sony a little. Ok, so there's not enough 360's to meet demand at first - nowhere close but when you consider over 10 million units will be gone worldwide within 24 hours of Nov. 22nd, that's one heck of a base to build upon when Sony don't even have a 100% finished tech. spec. yet.

Don't get me wrong, I chose a PS2 over an X-Box and if the PS3 had been out within a reasonable time I'd have waited but waiting almost a freaking year when my friends will be playing WE/PES on their 360s with no slowdown and mindblowing graphics - I ain't that patient and I don't think a lot of people are either.

As for region coding, it's down to the games manufacturers to make that a bonus. The region coding thing is about money so don't expect them to risk people importing cheap piracted versions from Asia rather than paying top dollar for the Western releases.

The Wolf, like Classic said:
ClassicD said:

So after thinking a little about this, It can only be a good thing. We don't need to wait for the ps3 since it will be almost a year b4 it's launched, at least for US and Europe, and everybody can play the x360 in the meanwhile, and then buy a ps3, and maybe, who know MS will launch another Xbox in 3 years and so on.
Now we don't need to choose, we can have them all. You ahve a great system, but in a year you buy a even greater system.

Of course the fact the MS will have no competition is bad for our pockets cause that way MS won't be forced to drop the price soon. A drop on the X360 will surely only happen at the end of next year.

Taken from http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27568

No pre-owned games to be allowed for Playstation 3

That's the speculation, anyroadmap

By Marc McEntegart: Wednesday 09 November 2005, 11:11

A PATENT may allow Sony to ensure that no game would be playable from any console other than the one in which it was first read.
Joystiq is reporting that this patent is the source of the many rumours that will mean as much to gamers as DRM is for music fans.

The technology would allow an authentication code to be read and then rendered unreadable, making the software unplayable on any machine but the one which first read it.

But this has caused considerable backlash from the gaming community. While many are aware of the double profit companies make on pre-owned games, this would ensure the death of trading games between friends and even going to a friend's house to play a little multiplayer.

No less than Ken Kataguri himself is listed among the inventors, which makes it look like this is a move that came from very high up. It has already been pointed out that many Playstation users have had to replace their console, surely this would leave us high and dry in that event.

While the PS3 hasn't been expressly mentioned in the patent in English or Japanese it would be the obvious place to employ this new technology, regardless of how little gamers will appreciate it. Between this and the DRM scandal, Sony could be looking at a serious drop in interest in the PS3. You can be sure you'll see more on this as it develops. As gamers, we can only hope that modern technology won't undermine the tried and tested barter system.

Sony would be absolutely crazy to implement this on the PS3, it would seriously piss off many many people.

Last edited:

There is no way that can be true surely, doing anything like that seems like fucking madness

Stringer Bell said:
If sony does implement it, the modders can always sought out the problem lol.

Not everyone wants to mod there machine mate. This would also screw over the game stores who want to sell second hand games. I personally don't thnk this will happen, it causes too much of a headache for Sony regarding potential system failures etc etc. They can't replace the hardware and everyones software when stuff goes wrong!

Back
Top Bottom