FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Got the update on xb1 today, played about 10 games after it and i didnt notice any difference gameplay wise... only the GKs seems to be positioned closer to the goal line a step or two, nothing major.

I'm also really loving the dribbling at the moment. I'm getting really good results with using taps of R2. You can see it affects the size of the touch at times, like a mini right-stick knock-on, and defenders find it tricky to know when to put their foot in. It's also great in combination with a direction change R2 really helps with the timing of a touch, so you can press one way and then press R2 + another direction to jink another.

Griezmann cut in from the right, simply used R2 without a direction change to skip past one defender, pulled off a stupendous Iniesta(/Beardsley) shuffle between the legs of the fullback's challenge (just the left stick and a bit of R2 I think), ran at the touchline and hit a manual diagonal cutback for a shot which Lloris just got his fingertips to.

So, yesterday was a good day.

Yeah, I'm really loving the dribbling, when it clicks for me at least. I've been playing mostly with Fenerbahce and I love how awesome Diego feels on the ball. He doesn't have speed but his quick touches in tight spaces are awesome. Then Markovic - when I get him running at pace, he rocks defenders, cutting in against their momentum. Lots of fun.

I've even attempted learning some tricks with Nani, though I suck at them, which makes him wasteful... so lifelike!

One thing I've gotten better at but still forget to use is the new no touch dribbling. I've learned that the basic no touch dribbling (L1 by itself) isn't really worthwhile, but the L1+R2 combo no touch can be great when timed right.

Yeah, I'm really loving the dribbling, when it clicks for me at least. I've been playing mostly with Fenerbahce and I love how awesome Diego feels on the ball. He doesn't have speed but his quick touches in tight spaces are awesome. Then Markovic - when I get him running at pace, he rocks defenders, cutting in against their momentum. Lots of fun.

I've even attempted learning some tricks with Nani, though I suck at them, which makes him wasteful... so lifelike!

One thing I've gotten better at but still forget to use is the new no touch dribbling. I've learned that the basic no touch dribbling (L1 by itself) isn't really worthwhile, but the L1+R2 combo no touch can be great when timed right.

I find L1 really useful against the CPU. As long as you time it so the animation stops by the time the defender is within tackling distance, you can change direction by 45 degrees or less and beat the player pretty regularly. It also earns you more points in the practice drills.

Not worked out L1+R2 yet. Will try and give it a proper whirl.

I find L1 really useful against the CPU. As long as you time it so the animation stops by the time the defender is within tackling distance, you can change direction by 45 degrees or less and beat the player pretty regularly. It also earns you more points in the practice drills.

Not worked out L1+R2 yet. Will try and give it a proper whirl.

I'll have to try it some more. Really, half the time I try the no touch dribbling, or skill moves too, I end up doing something entirely unintended.

Found a great camera angle! Unfortunately the slider settings I used saw me knocked out. Still felt a bit scripted Poland equalising like that.

Had a brilliant match last night, home to Manchester Utd, I spent the whole match virtually in "park the bus" mode, they had tons of chances and loads of corners, one corner in the 54th minute of theirs my keeper catches the ball and hoofs it upfield, I use the through ball button to head the ball forward to run onto, he gets the ball and runs into the box, Luke Shaw brings him down, red card and penalty that I score, 1-0! Lots more hanging on, then around the 80th minute Mata is on the ball, my LB nips in and takes the ball away and Mata loses his temper and hacks my LB down from behind, straight red and Utd down to 9 men! Manage to hang on to the final whistle and let out an audible sigh of relief!

Had a brilliant match last night, home to Manchester Utd, I spent the whole match virtually in "park the bus" mode, they had tons of chances and loads of corners, one corner in the 54th minute of theirs my keeper catches the ball and hoofs it upfield, I use the through ball button to head the ball forward to run onto, he gets the ball and runs into the box, Luke Shaw brings him down, red card and penalty that I score, 1-0! Lots more hanging on, then around the 80th minute Mata is on the ball, my LB nips in and takes the ball away and Mata loses his temper and hacks my LB down from behind, straight red and Utd down to 9 men! Manage to hang on to the final whistle and let out an audible sigh of relief!

What difficulty?
Thanks

Whoa whoa whoa...Mata lost his temper?

Video games are so unrealisitic ;)

This game is brilliant. Almost at Xmas in my career mode and no complaints at all.

Similar thing happened to me also :D. Smile raised on my face, I couldn't believe what I see on video game :D btw I play on ps4 so if anyone thinks these tweaks force cpu to do something like this, no it's not :)

So, I have way too much free time on my hands lately so I decided to do a little test for myself comparing WC and Legendary difficulties. I played 16 games of a Super Lig Season with Fenerbahce on both difficulties, 10 min halves, all settings default. I alternated playing a handful of matches on each difficulty at a time.

The results on World Class:

XEH0nxO.jpg

The results on Legendary:

rUSkHfz.jpg

I won twice as many games playing on Legendary. Go figure.

I definitely noticed differences between the two difficulties - the CPU's decision making is better on Legendary, especially noticeable in the final third with it choosing fewer low percentage shots and crosses; I tended to have more possession, more tackles, more shots, and generally more time on the ball in WC; Legendary seemed to be tighter, tenser matches - but nonetheless these results aren't exactly what you'd expect.

This doesn't prove anything of course, but folks are bringing up complaints with how the difficulties are this year, and I guess this kinda supports that.

Interesting. Why do you feel WC was winning more, despite your findings in terms of play? Is Legendary just trying to walk it in more? Or is its decision making making you focus more, whereas WC hits you on the break a lot?

I've still not tried WC based on people's findings, but everything you've just described besides the results sounds like things we'd want from the game!

Last edited:
All my World Class matches have had the CPU performing far too perfectly in the midfield - instant reactions and ping-pong passing that's worse than it is on any other difficulty. It feels cheatarific. Legendary doesn't (but is clearly easier to handle as a result, or at least it is for mfmaxpower).

It was the same on 15 but to a lesser extent. Perfect midfield play with poor finishing to "balance it out".

Interesting. Why do you feel WC was winning more, despite your findings in terms of play? Is Legendary just trying to walk it in more? Or is its decision making making you focus more, whereas WC hits you on the break a lot?

I've still not tried WC based on people's findings, but everything you've just described besides the results sounds like things we'd want from the game!

I really don't know - I don't think I'm smart enough to figure it out! Seriously, I've gone back and played a little more of both and half the time I have to double-check which difficulty I'm playing on.

It could be just that I played more cautious and patient on Legendary, which lends itself to the way the game wants to be played. It could be that the CPU is more aggressive on Legendary and that leads to more mistakes (and relates to the first point). Hell, it could just be that in my WC season I lost a starting CB to an injury and that led to a weaker defense!

What I am fairly certain of is that my skill level feels better suited to WC defending - it's just a tad bit easier to dribble and get that one half-moment more on the ball to make a decision. On the other hand, I'm impressed more often by the CPU's decision making on Legendary - there's more moments of "you cheeky bastard."

@Chris Davies
@Placebo
@mfmaxpower

Guys, Could you please post your latest Post-Patch Slider set in Slider Thread? much appreciated

Long time reader/lurker, first time member/poster.

The reason for posting is to primarily thank @Chris Davies for his slider set, as I've just had one of the most tense and exhilarating matches on a football game that I can remember. I decided to test out the sliders as I felt I wanted more of a simulation feel from the game in order to really get to see FIFA's real potential. The sliders have taken away a lot of my initial problems with the games and allows for compelling games of football where thought is rewarded above simple lofted through balls and holding the stick forward and letting the AI do the work for you.

So, I booted up a CM with Cambridge United and all was well, Professional was too much of a breeze so I stepped it up to world class - despite a few niggling issues of lightning quick one touch football in the midfield from the AI the game felt better than any football game I can remember playing. So thanks for that Chris!

Onto the actually match I referenced earlier; I came up against Burton away from home in the JPT and was excited as it was my first taste of a team from a higher division. Around 15 minutes in a Burton player made a horror challenge and received a red card - that's when the game got interesting. Almost immediately Burton went into lockdown - didn't move out of their half, defended deep and when they got the ball, they simply wanted to keep it so I couldn't have it, fantastic! Being a long time Blackburn Rovers fan I'm familiar with watching a side being unable to put the opposition away and that was the case here. Burton's 'keeper made save after save after save, I managed to play through my winger with a lovely pass only for him to hit the post. With 30 minutes left the game was so tense and highly poised it was unreal, had a few hairy moments from being to aggressive in trying to win the ball being on the verge of capitulating only for MY 'keeper to bail me out. 10 minutes left and still no luck, playing through my winger again and he hit the post AGAIN. I was getting myself ready for penalties and resigned to the fact extra time was coming and it would be the same as the previous 90. Out of rage/desperation I tried a pot shot from 25 yards and managed to win a corner. 90+2 reads the scoreboard, admittedly I rather aimlessly whipped the corner in and my winger who twice hit the post beat the keeper to the ball and his header nestled in the corner! Pure euphoria! Made such a commotion the girlfriend stormed in asking if I was okay, and I received the usually look of derision once I explained I'd won a tight game on FIFA.

Nevertheless, this is all probably very lame - but thanks Chris for the sliders and for one of the most exciting games of FIFA I've ever played!

So I got the new patch, did a reinstall, and... Bit of a problem. The Xbox One couldn't retrieve all my data from the cloud. Don't know why. My career saves were still there, but not my option files, and just a few nights after I'd been experimenting with sliders. Never mind.

So I started playing, on Legendary, with default sliders, and I was absolutely dominating. Like, to a ridiculous degree. I quit the game and checked I was on Legendary - I was - and tried again. Same thing, 2-0 up as Liverpool against Man United within minutes. Something was wrong.

Then, one of my players got a serious injury. Which never happens with the injury sliders set to default. And then I realised.

I don't know how it happened, but had I recorded the game speed and the ease of my victories I could have provided absolute video evidence, but trust me, this is what happened.

Somehow, the last sliders I'd used were still there - maybe it was pulling them from a career save I'd loaded - but they were showing as default.

The game was slow, the passing was slow, the other team were useless - my experimental sliders (which were too easy) were there in the background.

As soon as I made slider changes, to each individual slider, and saved the settings, the CPU was ping-ponging the ball around as usual. The difference was NIGHT and DAY, unmistakable.

I think this is where the "reinstall the whole game for a better experience" might have come from. You might see default sliders, but somehow, underneath, they're the last ones you used.

At least, that's my experience.

So this new patch is supposed to have fixed the CM bug where your new transfer signings crash the game if selected in the starting lineup right?
I'm finally about to start my Career Mode.

Got to say, now that I've reinstalled and got the latest patch, I am actually seeing a difference in gameplay against the CPU (this is on Xbox One). On any difficulty (but especially Legendary), the CPU isn't passing the ball around any more - it's passing straight forward over & over again - and I don't like it.

Anybody else seeing the same thing? I'm usually immune to placebos, which is why I'm so concerned.

EDIT: The last post on this EA forum thread says pretty much exactly what I've just said about the AI not passing the ball around any more... Xbox One Update Thread

If I'd just thought it was faster or something I'd think it was a placebo, but comparing the current gameplay to older saved videos on the hard drive, you can see a difference. The AI doesn't pass it around at all now. Reminds me of FIFA 15's AI.

Don't know if it's an Xbox thing / console thing only, but the fact that the guy there has said the exact same thing that I'm seeing (and it's more than just "it seems faster")...

Fucking hell.

It's ruining the game for me at the moment (so much so I've stayed up until nearly half 4 in the morning trying to fix it).

Last edited:
On Xbox one the patch has ruined the game for me, they made it around 20% faster, players are gliding around the pitch and you are able to cut in from the wings with no pressure, I am creating 10 chances per match now easily where before I was lucky to to create 4.

They have basically made it FIFA 15 again as I am able to cheese goals the same way, absolutely disgusted

Last edited:
On Xbox one the patch has ruined the game for me, they made it around 20% faster, players are gliding around the pitch and you are able to cut in from the wings with no pressure, I am creating 10 chances per match now easily where before I was lucky to to create 4.

They have basically made it FIFA 15 again as I a,marble to cheese goals the same way, absolutely disgusted.

+1.

Downloaded it on Xbox one, dont like it at all now. Same shit as 15. Oh God. Ping pong pass, no defense and midfield in game anymore...Why EA, just why? Also gamespeed is different cause of gameplay changed.

I will try with reinstalling game as someone mentoined before.

Huh, something must be up with the Xbox version, although it doesn't seem to be affecting everyone. I'm definitely not seeing anything like this on PS4.

Back
Top Bottom