FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

It would change in the sense that the patch is already included in the same file you download whereas applying the patch directly to your saved game files messes everything up. It is not a placebo. Slow was feeling like normal before, I can can guarantee you that, default sliders were unplayable. Now it feels like a simulation. I'm playing legendary with default sliders and I'm not feeling cheated.

And how should that work with disc owners???

And how should that work with disc owners???

Maybe deleting all game data and installing everything again. The difference is incredible. I can even upload a video to prove that the speed and inertia of the demo is back, yes, it is back. Legendary with default sliders was a pinball match for me before, not anymore now.

Legendary default sliders with Chelsea

91e7b4226e036c9c62328c15d3fdce38.jpg

Last edited:
I can even upload a video to prove that the speed and inertia of the demo is back, yes, it is back.
Please do.

If uninstalling and reinstalling created a difference in the code, how would online play work?

It's placebo. But if you can prove it, great (not that I'm having any issues in terms of the game cheating - nothing sliders don't fix, anyway).

Last edited:
Please do.

If uninstalling and reinstalling created a difference in the code, how would online play work?

It's placebo. But if you can prove it, great (not that I'm having any issues in terms of the game cheating - nothing sliders don't fix, anyway).

Ok, it will take some time because my internet connection is not very fast. I understand you think it's placebo, I was pretty sceptical before too.

It's quite striking how different FIFA is this year. I'm playing a Super Lig season with Fenerbahce post patch, everything default on Legendary difficulty, and after 8 games I'm top of the table... and it's because I have the stingiest defense in the league.

This is such a contrast to previous FIFAs when I could never win competitions due to defense - it was always because I'd score a shit ton of goals. In my Fenerbahce season, I've only scored 12, but I've conceded only 3. For what it's worth, in real life Fenerbahce this year has played 7, scored 12, and conceded 8.

As nice as this sounds, I have to say something isn't quite right, which I guess eventually I'll have to try to adjust with sliders. Though I've won all but one of my games, I'm often winning when the CPU totally outplayed me but just didn't take its chances. Hell, in the last match I had one shot that I scored with, while the CPU had something like 14 shots. Possession stats tend to be fairly even, though the CPU usually gets like 55%. I have been able to get 60% possession, but not as often as the CPU does. What bothers me most is that the CPU tends to get FAR more tackles than me.

I don't know if it's just me, and that I suck at tackling, which is a distinct possibility because I tend to always get out-tackled in multiplayer matches, but this is probably my biggest frustration point playing against the CPU - I obviously have success at defending since I don't concede much, but I rarely tackle the CPU. It seems like most CPU possessions either end in a missed shot or a poor cross. It doesn't feel like I'm playing well on defense as much that the CPU just isn't making the most of its opportunities.

Totally addicted to this game at the moment, and I'm enjoying this Fenerbahce season I got going, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting off easy by the CPU because it's not clinical enough, which you'd think wouldn't be an issue on Legendary. It's strange because I'm creating very, very few chances, and getting totally outplayed at times by the CPU, which makes me feel like I should be playing on WC difficulty, and yet I'm conceding hardly at all.

Last edited:
Maybe deleting all game data and installing everything again. The difference is incredible. I can even upload a video to prove that the speed and inertia of the demo is back, yes, it is back. Legendary with default sliders was a pinball match for me before, not anymore now.

Legendary default sliders with Chelsea

91e7b4226e036c9c62328c15d3fdce38.jpg

Man I am so jealous of your tackle numbers! Hook me up with some tackling tips!

Honestly I never noticed a difference in speed and inertia between the demo and retail so I'm real curious about what you're seeing.

Hang on. So what are people expecting to see from a video proving that the gameplay now is identical to how it was before the patch, when that's what the rest of us thought in the first place? Is someone going to have to upload a video of what the game played like before they reinstalled? In which case we'll need to see settings and sliders are identical too.

Last edited:
Placebo, be careful with this; even the most experienced modders are unsure how exactly this works so maybe it would be best not to mess with this codes...

Well, so far, so good, played about 6 matches including the first 2 of my pre-season tournament and it's been very enjoyable and the CPU is playing good varied football, I'm still technically on Professional so I need to try one match on amateur and one on legendary to see if the CPU is really ignoring the difficulty level the game's set to...

Hang on. So what are people expecting to see from a video proving that the gameplay now is identical to how it was before the patch, when that's what the rest of us thought in the first place? Is someone going to have to upload a video of what the game played like before they reinstalled? In which case we'll need to see settings and sliders are identical too.
I was hoping for a before and after video, but thinking about it, he can't reinstall the old install, so... Hm.

If he can just upload a video, along with sliders, saying "this is what's different", I can at least then look out for the same things happening in my game.

But as I say, how would online work if the code is different (and it would have to be for the experience to change), one game would have a different reaction to the other and it would start exhibiting absolutely bananas behaviour.

I was hoping for a before and after video, but thinking about it, he can't reinstall the old install, so... Hm.

If he can just upload a video, along with sliders, saying "this is what's different", I can at least then look out for the same things happening in my game.

But as I say, how would online work if the code is different (and it would have to be for the experience to change), one game would have a different reaction to the other and it would start exhibiting absolutely bananas behaviour.
Ok here is the gameplay video with the method I was talking about applied. I am not the only one who has used this succesfully. It works for ps4. Something about the new patch has corrupted our previous game files resulting in a different experience compared to pc players. Game is slower now and players have weight like in the demo.

https://youtu.be/6CRNkJJOOZM/

This is on Legendary, full manual with default sliders.

Last edited:
Ok here is the gameplay video with the method I was talking about applied. I am not the only one who has used this succesfully. It works for ps4. Something about the new patch has corrupted our previous game files resulting in a different experience compared to pc players. Game is slower now and players have weight like in the demo.

Looks the same as the retail version,I haven't tried the patch yet so can't comment on that although I will say you have a tendency to over run with your players and force the ball forward a little to quickly and a little to often.Try letting the ball do the work and your be able create space through clever pass and move,rather then just playing or running through the opposition..How you play directly impacts match flow.

You also press to much and leave lots of space for the cpu..again filling channels and being a little more patient while defending makes all the difference.

From my experience with fifa16 it's ever changing,so each match feels different..some feel faster,while others feel more weighty and slow..

Without being to hard on your playing style you can be somewhat one dimensional and imo your not getting he best experience of fifa16 playing in that vein.

Can't say anything jumps out at me as being different from what I've experienced both before and after the patch.

I'm loving the game after the patch still but there is a slight difference , the players seem slightly looser/lighter or whatever the right word is . I've knocked acceleration down a notch to 49 and it's all good..having some cracking matches..lots of low scores 1-0 , 0-0 2-1 being the heighest ..all a mixture of wins and losses ..currently 9th in league as Bolton

In that video there's plenty of ridiculous one-touch passing from the AI (which is a symptom of Legendary with default sliders), and it's the same speed as my game (actually faster because A) the camera is closer and B) the default sliders are faster). It looks no different to me - sorry!

Weirdly enough, I've had to do a reinstall tonight on the Xbox One because I've just downloaded the new preview dashboard and it's messed a few things up, including the FIFA installation (something was clashing with the EA Access trial I think).

I'm a few games in and it's no different for me whatsoever.

Last edited:
In my Fenerbahce season, I've only scored 12, but I've conceded only 3. For what it's worth, in real life Fenerbahce this year has played 7, scored 12, and conceded 8.

As nice as this sounds, I have to say something isn't quite right,

Totally addicted to this game at the moment, and I'm enjoying this Fenerbahce season I got going, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting off easy by the CPU because it's not clinical enough, which you'd think wouldn't be an issue on Legendary.

From someone who writes so well and elegantly. I'm shocked you haven't worked out what 'isn't quite right'.

I can show you whats wrong but you hate me so i probably wont care what i say. :D

Trading this in this morning. I simply can't find at camera angle at all which I feel comfortable with, which is odd because I simply never had this problem at all with previous FIFA games. Such a strange reason, I know, but if I turn a game on after a day at work I want to play, not tweak camera settings and get more and more frustrated. I'll perhaps come back to it at a later date when my patience won't be tried as much but while I can get good credit and probably two other titles I'm best just trading.

Trading this in this morning. I simply can't find at camera angle at all which I feel comfortable with, which is odd because I simply never had this problem at all with previous FIFA games. Such a strange reason, I know, but if I turn a game on after a day at work I want to play, not tweak camera settings and get more and more frustrated. I'll perhaps come back to it at a later date when my patience won't be tried as much but while I can get good credit and probably two other titles I'm best just trading.

I feel your pain, although I wouldnt trade in the (arguably) best football game ever because of this reason! But the cameras are either too close (Dynamic) or too far (every other camera), the custom settings do absolutley nothing, they move milimetres...

To me this game is so close on being perfect, if the following was fixed...
1) Cameras, as above
2) Ball in corners and indirect free kicks need more curve, even players with massive curve stats like Pirlo dont seem to be able to apply a lot of curl to the ball, anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
3) Free kick animations, my god this annoys me so much, for me it has taken the joy out of curling free kicks (driven ones are fine). The player pretty much leave\s the kicking leg hanging in the air and then brings it back down in the same spot the kicking leg started from! No one takes free kicks like this, the correct animation would be for the player to keep the kicking motion and plant the leg after the kick is taken. Have a look and you'll know what i mean. (Note: I did notice some players have the CORRECT animation, but not many)
4)Same issue with placed penalties, they dont look right
5) some passing animations look off

And thats pretty much it for me! the driven pass and no touch dribbling are immense additions this year, has made the game so much better

Although not perfect sliders make a big difference. With there being more error to passes when the CPU decide to go into quick 1 touch passing mode I have a decent chance of winning the ball back.

Is anyone else really struggling with player switching and a loose ball sometimes going past or simply being there to be won but your player won't move? Not sure if I explained the last bit clearly but I hope someone knows what I mean. That is happening a lot and it is driving me insane. It almost feels like I am being cheated

Guys, please try game with default sliders on Pro difficulty after patch on PS4? What do I think, I can see all variants of CPU playing....

I think there's a misconception as to what this is, when players feel 'weightless'. If they were weightless, you'd be able to change direction instantly, and there would be none of that sense of pushing left but the player still going right. The responsiveness would be instant when doing a 180 turn.

There's far more inertia and momentum in FIFA than PES. In terms of getting a player up to speed from a standing start, there's no question that it's far more apparent in FIFA that a player has inertia.

The problem is more one of responsiveness - of how players actually accelerate or decelerate. At times when you move a player in FIFA, you forget that the players move using their legs. There are definitely certain animations which are mo-capped and therefore are convincing in the way a player can take a sidestep and then continue forward. But, during more generic player movement, there can still be a sense that it's the body dragging the legs around the pitch, rather than the legs pushing the body around. Like a chinese martial arts film where the character is on wires, running along the rooftops.

I would definitely say, though, that it's a lot better than it used to be. I definitely feel like the dribbling is so much more convincing than it was a couple of years ago - I've done some fantastically convincing little shimmies, or deliberately avoided a tackle, using very deliberate footplanting.
Yeah maybe that's a better way of explaining it. It does sometimes feel like the players hover over rather than stand on the pitch and I think EA have tried to lessen this effect by making some player movements totally unresponsive in certain situations. It's feels like they are at both ends of the spectrum with it. Movement is either overly sensitive or it is ridiculously unresponsive. Overall it does work well because it lowers the overall tempo of the game, but I do think it would be better for them to find some middle ground with it.

I think its the acceleration slider that is the problem. At 50 with Sprint Speed lessened, it still feels a little to easy to skip past people or cover ground, where's at 49 it seems unresponsive.

Maybe they need a 49.5 hahaha.

With all that said, it's still a good game.

Is anyone else really struggling with player switching and a loose ball sometimes going past or simply being there to be won but your player won't move? Not sure if I explained the last bit clearly but I hope someone knows what I mean. That is happening a lot and it is driving me insane. It almost feels like I am being cheated

Yeah, I think this is a bit of a problem. It's like there's so much freedom and variety in the game now, it's a bit too much for the AI and in loose ball situations the AI isn't quick enough to recognize it should react.

Another, somewhat related issue I have is there seems a huge number of standing tackles that I make where the ball goes to a CPU teammate. It's frustrating because making a tackle is really damn hard against the CPU but half the time I succeed, I don't even get the damn ball.

Legendary is a beast on this game - I was one nil up in the cup against watford and it was pure back to the wall stuff. My goal was a goalie mistake, he came out and headed it to my midfielder who slotted the ball in from 20 yards.

The equalizer on 79 mins was poor defending on my part. But the winner was an awesome header - whipped in early and unmarked. The animation was quality and it was totally my fault i lost

Also what i have noticed is that tactics do make a difference - i have been playing 4-4-2 diamond and been struggling to score - switched to a 4-5-1 with wide men and scored two from the wing cutting inside.

My last game i won 2-1 ..in the 85th minute the AI whipped in the ball and i put it into my own net --the ref had already given handball so the goal was ruled out (should of been though) and the AI skies the penalty..quality random stuff

My last game i won 2-1 ..in the 85th minute the AI whipped in the ball and i put it into my own net --the ref had already given handball so the goal was ruled out (should of been though) and the AI skies the penalty..quality random stuff

Sounds like a Martin Atkinson decision, awful ref.

Played some fantastic games last night using Chris' sliders (with the AI speed brought back up), Legendary, semi-assisted controls. The Swansea game was magnificent - the speed of their passing was spot on, and the level of error meant I could press them with positive results provided I moved my team as a unit and didn't leave any gaps in behind. Using legacy defending means the pressing game is an actual possibility, as opposed to players standing off without really slowing the man on the ball.

The only goal of the game came from Swansea being boxed in and Shaw dispossessing Shelvey out wide on the halfway line. A quick through ball to Calhanoglu in acres of space (created in part by clever running from Martial) culminated in a cheeky lob into the corner.

Also had a cracker against Liverpool, dealing with their pace up top and forcing the midfield battle in my favour. Again, if you play a high game you can really see the impact when you force their defence to do something with the ball. Quite a few times, defenders were hoofing up the pitch or playing misplaced passes - an absolute joy compared to the default game. Thanks Chris!

I was going to upload a couple of videos of some nice bits of play, but didn't get round to it. One was from extra time against Newcastle, 105th minute. Mata received the ball fairly centrally from Valencia, 50 yards out, got the ball onto his left foot, and then played a beautiful high ball into the area for an unmarked Rooney to head home. But Tim Krul came out to challenge, and the header deflected off Krul's face and just over for a corner. The corner was played near post and flicked on by Darmian. Martial tried to challenge but the ball bounced off a defender, and Martial picked it up again running away from goal on the edge of the D. He laid it off square and Mata hit a clinical shot straight into the top corner. Fist pump.

I'm also really loving the dribbling at the moment. I'm getting really good results with using taps of R2. You can see it affects the size of the touch at times, like a mini right-stick knock-on, and defenders find it tricky to know when to put their foot in. It's also great in combination with a direction change R2 really helps with the timing of a touch, so you can press one way and then press R2 + another direction to jink another.

Griezmann cut in from the right, simply used R2 without a direction change to skip past one defender, pulled off a stupendous Iniesta(/Beardsley) shuffle between the legs of the fullback's challenge (just the left stick and a bit of R2 I think), ran at the touchline and hit a manual diagonal cutback for a shot which Lloris just got his fingertips to.

So, yesterday was a good day.

Last edited:
I did delete the game files and reinstall. It kept the controls, sliders and everything. And... I have to admit the game did feel slower to me. It felt like how the game played a few days ago, and then the night the patch was uploaded (but I hadn't installed it) the game did seem faster, but I put that down to being against Spurs, mucking about (and failing) with tactics, and having a beer.

Placebo? Probably. So I don't want to stick my neck out and say it definitely did anything. But I did remember playing a CM game at the start of the week and Schneiderlin feeling pretty slow to turn (which I liked), and then not feeling like that on the night just before the patch was released. I just wonder whether there's a bug, not related to patches, where the game speed gets reset to normal even though the menu says slow, and deleting the game files is an 'off-and-on-again' fix. It may also be something that only affects a certain percentage of users, if it even exists, so it may be really hard to nail down. I've got the disc version though so an uninstall was no big deal, but I wouldn't have bothered if it was a digital install.

What I should have done was play the game yesterday with the same team before the uninstall just to see if it was just my brain that was a bit slow the other day. Also I'm not sure what it is I actually uninstalled - did I uninstall the patches, or did those automatically come back in when I started up FIFA again? I just went to the storage on my PS4 and deleted the thing called 'FIFA 16'.

If I feel like the game speeds up again, I'll try and be more methodical. It probably is nothing, and I just don't recognise the difference between different teams' styles of play.

Last edited:
First two matches since promotion:

Hull Away: Lost 4-1
Everton Home: drew 0-0

Ouch! Possibly should have won the Everton match but couldn't create enough up front :(

Back
Top Bottom