What are you listening to?

Just cuz the new one is not your type of music, you want to shit all over it.
Oh, it was never a serious dig, believe me man. I've spent way too many hours online pulling apart in detail the stuff I hate, I wouldn't have spoilt my chilled mood this lunchtime launching a tirade against artists who take great tracks only released not too long ago, tweak things a little, to make a track which not only ruins the one they've sampled, but also features either the same old rap lyrics or clubland cheese vocals. Some artists don't need to do this, they'll have already done original work getting them deserved recognition, whilst others try to base careers on it (Westlife, Girls Aloud...).

It's past lunchtime now. I'm not arsed anymore about people nicking samples to whatever degree - I just think that if they're gonna keep a big chunk of the original sound there then they should honour it and not make it sound absolutely atrocious, repetitive and follow the usual guideline for that commercial genre... For instance a commercial dance tune will have the cheesy vocals about love, plenty of whooshs and half naked dancers. Rap and r'n'b means either apparently gritty beats and video, plenty of grunting, disrespecting the world, or a full on musical story about how great they are (the singer / grunter).. Rock or indie will have videos of the band members looking spaced out, walking round, there's fuckloads of strumming and guitars being played with only two notes... So much these days is stereotypical.

When I heard Kanye's version on the radio the other day for the first time, my fiance and I just looked at each other and said "what... the... fuck" and switched it over, not due necessarily to the track's lack of originality, but due to it's stereotypical lyrics and it's another rehashed track sounding too much like the original. We're sick of them! If you want to use a popular, well-known track for sampling, please just use imagination. And by the way, the music in Kanye's version sounds 90% like the whitelabel breakbeat mix of the Daft Punk version, but without the one main beat, tis all.

What if you had heard "Cola Bottle Baby" by Edwin Birdsong that I posted above long before Daft Punk? Would that have made his song cheap? Of course not.

It completely depends on the quality of the outcome.

In my opinion, the production of Daft Punk sampling Edwin Birdsong is greater than that of Kanye West sampling Daft Punk.

The difference between "Cola Bottle Baby" and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" is more apparent than that of "H, B, F, S" and Kanye's "Stronger".

In my opinion, the production of Daft Punk sampling Edwin Birdsong is greater than that of Kanye West sampling Daft Punk.

The difference between "Cola Bottle Baby" and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" is more apparent than that of "H, B, F, S" and Kanye's "Stronger".

AGREE 100Percent

All Daft Punk did was say the words "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" over Cola Bottle Baby. :roll:

Just got hold of Jarvis Cocker's last album, Jarvis. Pretty good stuff, bit annoyed with myself for not getting it before now.

Listened to Air, Once Upon A Time as well. You get the feeling that if the classical composers of years ago were reborn, they'd be making songs like this.

Kanye wrote a whole song over it, not just 4 words.
And personally that whole song is more annoying to me than the four words by Daft Punk. Typical lyrics for the genre, it's either a tune to big themselves up, tell us what they're "gonna do" (at some point), or a song about how badly done to they are, and they're all over the radio and TV here in the UK, and it does my bastard head in.

But I'm just an r'n'b / hip hop / rap hater, and a trance, classical and indie lover, so each to their own. Our own opinions are merely bricks in the wall of life and all that...

*cues emotional hero tune*

proxi is currently listening to...
The Killers - "This River Is Wild"

Last edited:
Well then the quote below is a load of crap seeing how you're admiting its just 4 words repeated for over 3 minutes on a sampled tune.

Well then the quote below is a load of crap seeing how you're admiting its just 4 words repeated for over 3 minutes on a sampled tune.

I was being ironic by agreeing with your ridiculous comment that "all they did was put 4 words over an instrumental".

Stop being so defensive about the track and accept the fact that I am one of several people to disagree with your opinion.

I am not too keen on tracks that have vocals which just repeat and repeat and repeat with no variation. Especially one worders... Daft Punks Around The World used to get on my nerves something chronic! Shame really as Daft Punk were involved in one of my all time favourite tunes... "The Music Sounds Better With You.. Love Might Bring Us Back Together"

I wouldn't like to be next to RuneEdge the next time a Daft Punk song is on the radio. I can imagine blood being spilt. :lol:

I wouldn't like to be next to RuneEdge the next time a Daft Punk song is on the radio. I can imagine blood being spilt. :lol:
Why? I love their music. In fact I like most of their music and only about 2 of Kanye's (I think I've only heard about 2 of his tracks. :lol:). I'm just saying he deserves a lot more credit than he's getting.
I was being ironic by agreeing with your ridiculous comment that "all they did was put 4 words over an instrumental".

Stop being so defensive about the track and accept the fact that I am one of several people to disagree with your opinion.
Its not about opinion cuz I think we've all established that our tastes in music determines whether we like Kanye's song but the work he put into making the track cant be denied. And he clearly put more into "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" to make his track than Daft Punk did with "Cola Bottle Baby".

Does it really matter? if you like the tune then cool. If not no worries :)

Exactly, but dont shit all over a tune just cuz you dont like it.
Its like me saying Tiger Woods is shit cuz I dont watch golf.

I gotta say I love the song, I don't care how he came about it, Daft Punk are getting their money and I'm getting an incredibly catchy song. :D

Sorry to stray away from the current topic here, but Chamillionaire is releasing his new mixtape (Mixtape Messiah 3) on his site for free, tomorrow. http://www.chamillionaire.com/

4ka1npk.jpg

Chamillionaire is releasing his second album in September. He said there will be no swearing on it and his not going say nigga on the album.

Well, that'll be interesting to hear. Nice to see a rapper doing something different and taking a bit of responsibility.

p.s. - I know Will Smith does the same thing, but his shite. LOL!

You're all making such a big fuss about Kanye sampling Daft Punk. It's not the first time he did it. Throught the Wire, All Falls Down, Diamonds from Sierra Leone, Touch the Sky etc. all have samples in it.

Haaaaanyway... Mark ronson fr. Lily Allen - Oh My God

The good The Bad and The Ugly, soundtrack in the car between meetings, only problem is some of the tunes make you drive like you riding in the movie, and you find yourself staring people out at the lights...

There are two kinds of people in this world my friend...

Spanish Dance Troupe by Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, freaky welsh stuff
The Mix Up by Beastie Boy's - their best since Check Your Head, to my mind

Back
Top Bottom